• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a year: Google Maps's quiet transformation, Apple Maps's ___?

sirap

Apple Maps must be amazing for those living in 1st world countries. It's barely improved at all since launch (my house doesn't even exist according to Apple)

Google Maps and Waze on the other hand have improved tremendously.

Recently spent a couple of weeks in Japan and used both a lot. Apple Maps was better overall with public transport, google maps had more POIs. Just use Citymapper in the UK.

Apple maps works 99% of the time. But it's sad apple won't put in the work to really make it a next level feature. Just a reskin and super large ios10 font isn't enough.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I always felt that Apple maps was better at showing you POI on the map itself. I see the article addresses that and shows how Google has improved but I still feel like Apple maps is better in that regard. Something the article doesn't address is UI. I feel like Apple maps is way better and more suited to the larger phones we use today. I initially thought it was awkward but I love it now. I also like how it displays information better. I noticed that Google had copied some elements of Apple maps as well, like the end button which they later removed. Obviously, overall, google maps has more actual POI in it and more detail like telling you which lane you should be in. I would love to have Apple UI with google data.

Interestingly enough, I have a friend who lives in a new development and Google maps has his address wrong where as Apple maps does not. Other than that I haven't seen any major differences between the two when looking for addresses.

Leatherface

I definitely like the google approach better where it spends a lot of time highlighting places / points of interest. It's crazy the amount of tweaking that went into the design to keep it clear and consise despite the amount of data they are cramming in there. Really impressive stuff. Google seems to be better at traffic info as well.

Personally I don't have a problem at all with Apple maps but I think this article has definitely changed my mind about which to use when I am in a new place and want the most up to date and accurate info. 😮🙌

aerts1js

I definitely like the google approach better where it spends a lot of time highlighting places / points of interest. It's crazy the amount of tweaking that went into the design to keep it clear and consise despite the amount of data they are cramming in there. Really impressive stuff. Google seems to be better at traffic info as well.

Personally I don't have a problem at all with Apple maps but I think this article has definitely changed my mind about which to use when I am in a new place and want the most up to date and accurate info. 😮🙌

Just because it appeared that one particular place was updated frequently doesn't = the entire world.

GulAtiCa

Wow, it's amazing how much Google maps changed. And now that I think about it, using their maps these days are more detailed and accurate.

black_13

Banned
Google maps is a god send! I use it almost everyday. Used it for bus times when I was in college and now almost everyday especially with the traffic feature telling you accurate times of arrival and which is the fastest route.

I even used it when I went hiking in the mountains and it had all the popular trail paths on there which helps alot if you get lost. Use the offline feature and you don't even need a signal and it still works.

I'm hemmed in by CarPlay- does Apple vet what applications support it? Surprised that Waze for example doesn't work on CarPlay- and audio apps are pretty buggy in my car

Apple only allows applications to be audio apps, auto manufacturer (i.e.: control climate settings), or messaging apps so I wouldn't expect support for Waze to ever come. Android auto has the same restrictions but they plan to support Waze this year since they own it.

Google Map added the show your buddy on map feature very recently.

On a road trip last week, I couldn't see my friend's location on my android phone, but my wife (iphone) can see location of the 2nd car which is also using an iphone. Google need to fix that. It's a very handy feature.

I got to say google map feature is pushing the limit of my Galaxy S5. I might have to use a dedicate Note 4 to run gmap in future road trips.

With the places switch, Google is monetizing. I'm sure many notices the new distinct icons of gas stations and Subway, eat fresh.

My girlfriend uses Google maps after a year of fumbling with Apple maps as I find our destination quicker and in it's actual location. So...

Why can't either of them display speed limits when you're in a particular area when getting directions and traveling by car?

Why can't Google maps be used with CarPlay Isn't that an anti-competitive practice?

I think having speed limits on Google maps potentially opens them up to legal trouble if people get hurt from inaccurate data. It'd be like the last thing they add.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I think having speed limits on Google maps potentially opens them up to legal trouble if people get hurt from inaccurate data. It'd be like the last thing they add.

GPS devices have had it for ages without any legal issues. Here WeGo map app from Nokia has it. That is another awesome app that I use for downloadable apps when visiting a country I don't have cell access to. Works great when the phone is in airport mode, shows your speed and you can even tell it to warn you if you are going too fast, etc.

hirokazu

Why would you recruit via subcontractors when you could just reach out to people who've been submitting corrections as is?

Not really. Google were always willing to make a better Maps app, they just wanted to have advertising in it and Apple refused. People generally don't switch defaults, and there's no integration, so all that happened for the average user is that their iPhone got worse.
At the very least, Apple introduced the emphasis on POI, and Google has since also moved in that direction in a manner that's very similar to Apple's. You may not admit it, but competition is definitely a good thing.

Top Bottom