• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
pr0cs said:
we don't really know what all it means but we're speculating that it means a lot of the "dashboard' UI/OS functionality of the PS3 will now be available when in the middle of the game

Not 'a lot of'. Messaging is what we should expect, beyond that..

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Firewire said:
Movie, Music & T.V. download service?
That's coming in August I believe. There was a thread revealing the possible date recently. I have a feeling it will be part of a later firmware update and not FW2.4. If those in the press are getting info now (Jim owns GA), I'm guessing 2.4 is just about ready for the public.

Choke on the Magic said:
Can I get mod confirmation of the banned fuuuck.gif. I didn't see it added in the FAQ yet.

i remeber there was a mod who said that he'd start banning people who posted it because he thought it was annoying =/

ontopic though. ingame invites >>>>> custom soundtracks =P

Raist

Banned
Yeah right so now we can post this kind of megatons without any source ?

Just kidding. ETA puh-leeze ? Approximately ? :(

Roxas

Has to be before MGS4 hits because i vaguely remember reading something about the acomplishments being out in time for that.

Shawn128

You know what would be cool? If you could sign in to PSN via your PSP and people can see what games you're currently playing on your PSP (and do all the things we want from 2.40 as well :) )

Cartman86

Banned
If the in-game XMB doesn't have in-game friends list and messaging then this will be a big problem for Sony. I hope they know why we want in-game XMB.

If this means I can see what friends are playing while in game, and invite them over to jump in the game I'm playing or vice versa, then that's fucking great.

patsu

slider said:
I saw the thread title. I saw the thread starter. And despite that (being a cynic) with a trembling hand I clicked on the link thinking I'd be posting "misleading thread title FTL" but no...

More important to me than the in-game XMB is the "more features than expected". Could this be the rumoured in game stats from the web? And to me the wording suggests it's more features than expected to the in-game-ness rather than it'll pour you sambuca shots or whatever.

Dammit. I bet by the time I hit reply this will be at 11 pages and all my points will be redundant.

slider, where is the top part of your avatar ?

pr0cs

gofreak said:
Not 'a lot of'. Messaging is what we should expect, beyond that..
Those with cooler heads will expect that, considering the response of the majority of the posters in this thread, methinks they're expecting a lot more and will likely be disappointed.

Roxas said:
Has to be before MGS4 hits because i vaguely remember reading something about the acomplishments being out in time for that.

Is MGS4 even going to feature "accomplishments"? I was under the impression that it wasn't going to have anything like that.

You said that's all you can say... but by 'more features than expected' do you mean more features in the in-game XMB itself, or more features in the overall update?

Because if it's the former, then I suspect we could be getting custom soundtracks or something similar on a level more universal than speculation has been indicating.

Azrael said:
Never gonna happen. Custom soundtracks for video games at the OS level is patented by Microsoft.

pretty fucking sure that was an aprils fools joke the only article i saw stating it was posted on Mar. 30 of this year. i call bullshit. Counter-Strike had a media player built in the background to listen to music if you gave it folder names. ( didnt really remember it working too well so i would just throw on media player on the background underneath the game like all pc gamers do.) also like the poster above if devs want it will happen but im damn sure microsoft doesnt have the patent/copyright on that.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
In-game XMB confirmed at last? This is the happiest day of my life! Sony have made up for all the ills of the world in one fell swoop. It's like winning the lottery. I don't think there could have been better news announced on GAF. This is the greatest. Ever.

Actually I just discovered that I still don't care about in-game XMB. The other features, now, that could be interesting.

tanod

when is my burrito
I don't know anything personally but I've paid close attention to Sony's FW release patterns and I'm gonna guess that there's a high likelihood it's coming within a week.

99% guaranteed before MGS4.

battleMAUS said:
i remeber there was a mod who said that he'd start banning people who posted it because he thought it was annoying =/

ontopic though. ingame invites >>>>> custom soundtracks =P

Ah well, I'll play it safe. This is about the same effect.

wtf.gif

Seriously though, if this is true this should make MGS4 that much more special for me. Here's to hoping for ingame invites for MGO.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Good to hear about in-game XMB access.

user friendly said:
It's possible. Sony just needs to fork out some cash, or find a loop hole.

Or alternatively developers can just code it into their games.

GQman2121

Banned
All you sons of bitches better be picking up PSeyes so you can take part in my video messaging.

I'm going to be video messaging my ass off!!!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
badcrumble said:
You said that's all you can say... but by 'more features than expected' do you mean more features in the in-game XMB itself, or more features in the overall update?

Because if it's the former, then I suspect we could be getting custom soundtracks or something similar on a level more universal than speculation has been indicating.

evil one has said it's more asides from in-game xmb..not more features TO the in-game XMB than expected.

Firewire

Banned
Laguna X said:
That's coming in August I believe. There was a thread revealing the possible date recently. I have a feeling it will be part of a later firmware update and not FW2.4. If those in the press are getting info now (Jim owns GA), I'm guessing 2.4 is just about ready for the public.

Awesome, its looking to be a great summer with all these features eventually coming out!

Thanks for the info!

iceatcs

iapetus said:
In-game XMB confirmed at last? This is the happiest day of my life! Sony have made up for all the ills of the world in one fell swoop. It's like winning the lottery. I don't think there could have been better news announced on GAF. This is the greatest. Ever.

Actually I just discovered that I still don't care about in-game XMB. The other features, now, that could be interesting.

Same I don't really care in-game XMB much, but I'm happy in different way because there will be no more "In-game XMB" comments in the Playstation.blog when the firewire out.

GQman2121

Banned
greendublin said:
That soundtrack patent is bullshit. Like patenting PAUSING.

That's what the fuck I'm saying. I own two games that have CS (The Show, Burnout) and if they can do it any dev can!!!!!!

battleMAUS said:

ontopic though. ingame invites <<<<<<<<<<<<custom soundtracks =P

im tired of people inviting me to all kinds of games i dont want to play or dont own or "just tyring to fill the room" while i play the games i want to play with my music. both are nice Mgo needs the ability to send invites not just look for them but most games have the ingame feature for friends that are currently playing the game. burnout and Cod4 for example.

slider

patsu said:
slider, where is the top part of your avatar ?

You're the coolest mofo I've ever met. Whilst everyone goes bonkers you quietly puff on a cigarette and work your own agenda. Love it.

Avatar is a very badly scaled album cover of a... er, covers album by the Twilight Singers called She Loves You.

acm2000

so if XMB finally catches upto the features of the 360, what will MS add next? i want the ability to make a cup of tea from the dashboard while the 360 does my ironing, come on MS, make it happen :lol

now if only we could have cross compatibility for messaging (like msn and yahoo messenger) that would be awesome

Top Bottom