• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

Dezcom

Shinz Kicker said:
pretty fucking sure that was an aprils fools joke the only article i saw stating it was posted on Mar. 30 of this year. i call bullshit. Counter-Strike had a media player built in the background to listen to music if you gave it folder names. ( didnt really remember it working too well so i would just throw on media player on the background underneath the game like all pc gamers do.) also like the poster above if devs want it will happen but im damn sure microsoft doesnt have the patent/copyright on that.

greendublin said:
That soundtrack patent is bullshit. Like patenting PAUSING.

Patent #1

I think there's another, more recently filed patent (2004/2005-ish) from MS that also applies. I can't remember tho.

west

I remember reading rumors a couple of weeks back that the patch contains:

- In game XMB
- Cross game voice com
- New text input system
- Trophy support

We will see....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Cartman86 said:
If the in-game XMB doesn't have in-game friends list and messaging then this will be a big problem for Sony. I hope they know why we want in-game XMB.
Jim, the OP, knows why people want to see in-game XMB, so I'm assuming he wouldn't have posted in a way that suggests it's exactly what people have been asking for and more, if it wasn't.

WinFonda

Nightz said:
What does it say? The site's blocked here at work. :(
To sum it up for you guys: Features will include universal friends list, messaging, and customs soundtracks at the least. Expected to go live relatively soon, probably mid-June.

Sorry for the n00b question but what really entertaining thing can you do with in-game XMB? Besides having your music play while playing? (if that's even a feature).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ScissorHands said:
Sorry for the n00b question but what really entertaining thing can you do with in-game XMB? Besides having your music play while playing? (if that's even a feature).

The feature everyone wants - communication with friends.

tanod

when is my burrito
Shinz Kicker said:
pretty fucking sure that was an aprils fools joke the only article i saw stating it was posted on Mar. 30 of this year. i call bullshit. Counter-Strike had a media player built in the background to listen to music if you gave it folder names. ( didnt really remember it working too well so i would just throw on media player on the background underneath the game like all pc gamers do.) also like the poster above if devs want it will happen but im damn sure microsoft doesnt have the patent/copyright on that.
greendublin said:
That soundtrack patent is bullshit. Like patenting PAUSING.

Quick FYI: That patent IS real.

slider

Speevy said:
what about in-game video capturing? possible?

Prob already been answered cos these sort of threads move fast but the recent Youtube SDK update would suggest it's a feature they're looking at.

ScissorHands said:

Mainly check your friends list from in-game and then send/receive messages and hopefully invites as well.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ScissorHands said:
I can finally tell a friend to join me for a game without having to quit the damn game.
Or read messages a friend sent to me while I was busy playing something else.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Seiken said:
As long as game developers want custom soundtrack, it's possible. Check Burnout Paradise and Wipeout HD, both titles has it.

The trick seems to have been "let's make it so developers do not have to reserve extra RAM for this feature so it can be quite free for them to take advantage of in their games".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
iceatcs said:
And to some but not me, invite online gaming.

I wouldn't expect that in this update. I see the thing on the playstation site, but invites to them could mean manual "hey, wanna play this game" type messages...

patsu

slider said:
You're the coolest mofo I've ever met. Whilst everyone goes bonkers you quietly puff on a cigarette and work your own agenda. Love it.

Avatar is a very badly scaled album cover of a... er, covers album by the Twilight Singers called She Loves You.

That's because I got my priorities right.
Thanks !

Xabora

SolidSnakex said:
Even if they do eventually add software emulation for the PS2 on 40gb machines, you're never getting region free games.
Well, the core PS3 pretty much is region free with its games... however for the PS1 and PS2 games would be really nice.

west said:
I remember reading rumors a couple of weeks back that the patch contains:

- In game XMB
- Cross game voice com
- New text input system
- Trophy support

We will see....
We shall but I have a question. I saw those rumors too and it was worded the same way
IN-GAME messaging
CROSS-GAME video chat.

What would the difference be.

Would be sweet, I could trip chubigans into looking at my ass crack no matter what game I was playing. LOL

Nightz

So about these additional features...since you guys really can't say what they are, can I just ask if they will be features that'll blow us away, or are they pretty meh?

Jim

womfalcs3 said:
Custom soundtracks universally? In-game XMB? Can't wait!

When/if some kind of "custom soundtrack" function become available, it will obviously have to be patched into earlier games for it to work as intended.

I'll admit to being LTTP on getting a PS3, but after being on a 360 for a couple years and having about a week being on a PS3 why do people have such a hard-on for Sony to start copying or duplicating features of Live?

Live is its own thing - some good features, and some bad. Quite a few self-serving or useless too IMO.

Sony needs to blaze its own trail, do its own thing, and come-up its own solutions, not FFS copy Microsoft.

Do we really need Accomplishments? I mean, c'mon...

If I want a Microsoft Xbox Live-style experience, I'll plug my 360 back in.

Do your own thing Sony, you'll only fuck things up if you start copying Microsoft.

DuckRacer

gregor7777 said:
I'm sure Microsoft would be happy to license it to Sony...

FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

Also, I'm glad that GIF is banned. So annoying.

patsu

in-game XMB may offer more though, since XMB is simply the PS3 desktop. For other Sony innovations, well... do I really have to list them here ?

elseanio

Micromegas said:
I'll admit to being LTTP on getting a PS3, but after being on a 360 for a couple years and having about a week being on a PS3 why do people have such a hard-on for Sony to start copying or duplicating features of Live?

Live is its own thing - some good features, and some bad. Quite a few self-serving or useless too IMO.

Sony needs to blaze its own trail, do its own thing, and come-up its own solutions, not FFS copy Microsoft.

Do we really need Accomplishments?
I mean, c'mon...

Do your own thing Sony, you'll only fuck things up if you start copying Microsoft.

No, we need pretty trophy's for our virtual home!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Micromegas said:

Do we really need Accomplishments? I mean, c'mon...

That's like saying my new computer with Linux shouldn't support my mouse and keyboard like Windows and Apple do.

Top Bottom