• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In hindsight, what was going on with character design during the HD (PS3/X360) era?

Kadve

(edit, people seems to have misunderstood me. Meant how everyone seems to have followed the same design language. Not that everyone looked the same. And yes not all of these are from Ps3/x360 games but i think you get the idea)

(edit 2; Yes. I can tell these guys apart. Not the point as stated above)

Ran across this image recently and had honestly forgotten how every (male) character seems to have been cut from the same mold back then. Also the entire AAA gaming industry (atleast in the west) seems to have been allergic to smiles.

Activist-Blog-Turn-In-Here_nmherbst_attempt_2022-04-05-16-52-37_White-protagonist-Blog-image.jpg

Also this could serve as a bingo card. How many do you recognise/from what game without looking it up?

Last edited:

HL3.exe

I recall, It had something to do with hair rendering as well. A lot of military buzz cuts in that era, or short spiky hair, because of the rendering limitations at the time. Combined with everything being 'grim-dark'. (It was The Dark Knight era, remember)

Other than that, personally I didn't mind that there was such an overlap in looks. I'd say I even prefer it to the quirky/witty tone everything has now. There needs to be a better middle ground in the future.

Last edited:

Kadve

dreamworksface.jpg

Anyway, while I do agree there were generic characters, I instantly recognize most of them.
Those arent from video games.

Also might be English not being the best here. By generic i mean how everyone seemed to have followed roughly the same design language (short black/brown hair + stubble). Not that everyone looked the same.

And yes. Probably should have specified among male characters.

Last edited:
Oh boy. It's this topic again. I'm going to assume the character design is based on AAA gaming companies always focus testing and conducting market research and that testing/research showed that the majority of reliable customers for those types of games were white males.

Kadve

Oh boy. It's this topic again. I'm going to assume the character design is based on AAA gaming companies always focus testing and conducting market research and that testing/research showed that the majority of reliable customers for those types of games were white males.
Just to make sure im on the same page as people are there still lingering controversies surrounding this thing? Posted this mostly as a laugh towards gamings "grey" era that we (in my mind) long since moved past.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

No different to marketing and what test audiences respond to back then, with consideration to maximizing pofits and target audiance. Those characters are are reflection of the safest audience and the majoirty of the gaming audiance back then. Soley driven by sales with no fucks given to politics or social concerns.

Just reminds me how Mass effect was so a head of it's time.

Holammer

That's an golden oldie, from the time before the woke fall.
Anyway, it is what I would call the He-man problem. Back when they designed the toy character marketing experts & creatives wanted to make him appeal to the widest possible audience by making him tan with dark hair (project was a Conan clone after all). According to the story, Tom Kalinske, (Later Sega of America CEO) told them to make him Blonde and a give him a lighter skin tone.

Sometimes you need someone with balls to take an unusual decision and not design by committee.

Xenon

Back when game makers and marketers aimed their main characters at probably the biggest gaming target audience: White looking dudes with brown hair.

Also know as gatekeepers. By making gaming less lucrative, popular and social, they purposely kept out other people who didn't care about gaming.

Last edited:
Also know as gatekeepers. By making gaming less lucrative, popular and social, they purposely kept out other people who didn't care about gaming.
So you're blaming white males for how a bunch of over payed, under brained, no imagination corporate execs chose to design their characters?

Just to make sure im on the same page as people are there still lingering controversies surrounding this thing? Posted this mostly as a laugh towards gamings "grey" era that we (in my mind) long since moved past.
Yes, it is. Your collage of images has been posted and talked about for literally years. I think it was first posted to Kotaku.

Last edited:
Top Bottom