• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In hindsight, what was going on with character design during the HD (PS3/X360) era?

Skifi28

I don't think there was anything wrong with them as long as you don't try to view them through modern lenses. Different times, more limited tech, different culture.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Imcrdri.jpg

You happy now OP ??????
Jesus Christ...take me back.
Debra Wilson actually was a comedian in Mad TV for many, many years. Hard to believe she portrayed so many badass and not-funny characters in video games

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

KTvoRTT.jpg

I get OP's point, but there were still lots of colorful games with white male characters that stood out in the PS3 / 360 era.
Unrelated: Just looking at this screenshot makes me want to play Valkyria Chronicles through for the fourth time.
I only played Valkyrie Chronicles 4 but I can't get enough of the gorgeous watercolor textures. Surprised it isn't used more often.

SJRB

Gold Member
Debra Wilson actually was a comedian in Mad TV for many, many years. Hard to believe she portrayed so many badass and not-funny characters in video games

I don't know where she came from or how she ended up in so many videogames all of a sudden; call me cynical but in the current AAA-developer climate you can tick off like 3 requirements on the DEI-checklist by casting her, 4 or five if they make her character gay or handicapped.

Especially now that she has had plenty mocap and voice acting experience it seems a no-brainer to hire her.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I don't know where she came from or how she ended up in so many videogames all of a sudden; call me cynical but in the current AAA-developer climate you can tick off like 3 requirements on the DEI-checklist by casting her, 4 or five if they make her character gay or handicapped.

Especially now that she has had plenty mocap and voice acting experience it seems a no-brainer to hire her.
I only know her from MadTV as a comedian back in 1995-2003 or so (and numerous guest appearances on that show the rest of the 2000's.) She was great.

Fbh

Here's a composite image of the average male face in multiple countries:
0pJDnAa.png

Look at the faces of the core western gaming markets (USA and central/southern Europe).

Is it unoriginal? Sure. But not really hard to explain.

SHA

Face smiles move two muscles, it's not that the hardware is weaker, games were always 10 years behind movies and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just how things been going since then.

PeteBull

Here's a composite image of the average male face in multiple countries:
0pJDnAa.png

Look at the faces of the core western gaming markets (USA and central/southern Europe).

Is it unoriginal? Sure. But not really hard to explain.
As a polish guy i counter u with this
LAMUqOmtFotISAz01DPUmc2DXmA5qizm.jpg
Polish sounding surname of gears of war creator makes sense now, no? :D
And gues what roots has BJ Blazkowicz https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.J._Blazkowicz very well known from wolfenstein series :p
There are many other such examples, but lemme just make guest appearance of played by Arnie Mark Kaminsky :D

Top Bottom