• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Michigan, Trump voters still have the president's back

Magwik

Banned
Ok. first of all, you can provide for children much easier with the income from a stable job then you can living off of government welfare.

Criticizing people for actually saying something that should be fairly obvious makes you come across as entitled and out of touch with the 1st world.

Second. It might be comforting to blanket label all of Trump's voters/supporters as idiot racists, but that's not reality.

There were good and bad people on both sides of the election, that isn't what decided the presidency.

You can convince anyone to do anything if you can convince them that it will benefit them in the long run. That's the principle that good business deals are built on.

And calling people stupid for falling for a politician's lies doesn't make sense when %100 of politicians lie in order to get elected.

tldr: As long as the left is focused on telling Michigan that Michiganders are stupid, rather than working with them to solve their issues, Michigan will remain a red state. And it's very obvious reading through this thread that the left has no intention of working with or actually helping Michigan.

The issue in Michigan is that no matter how bad things get, the populace will continue to vote Republican, especially with a lot of those on the left leaving the state in search for more prosperous jobs and better communities.

Jabronium

Moved to Midland from Chicago in '07. Could not believe how many confederate flags and McCain signs I saw around there. The danger of our company getting swallowed up as things unfolded in '08 was terrifying.

Moved from Midland to Farmington Hills in '10. I was shocked to see so many Trump/Pence signs in my neighborhood in November, but I'm glad to at least have a democratic rep here who holds regular town halls. I know the map linked earlier shows it's still not at the '08 values, but home prices in our neighborhood have climbed pretty steeply over the last 2-3 years. Still, I'm keeping my options open regarding moving to somewhere blue if things refuse to change here, and just hoping there's not another crash before we GTFO.

The issue in Michigan is that no matter how bad things get, the populace will continue to vote Republican, especially with a lot of those on the left leaving the state in search for more prosperous jobs and better communities.

Yep. I would be very interested to see how many MSU and U of M grads stick around in-state. I have to imagine it's not a high rate.

The 6 presidential elections before 2016, Michigan voted blue. Trump won Michigan by .2%. Let's not act like Michigan is a deep red state or something.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The 6 presidential elections before 2016, Michigan voted blue. Trump won Michigan by .2%. Let's not act like Michigan is a deep red state or something.

It isn't "deep red," but it has been trending that way for years now. I originally predicted 2020 would be the first year they went red, but Trump pushed them in ahead of schedule.

I made a post in a similar thread recently but the other day at work I had a customer checking out the newspapers and asked me "Are the democrats still bashing Trump?" I so badly wanted to say something like "He bashes himself, no democrats needed." But I try to remain as neutral as possible work and figured the guy was up for debating and lecturing me on why Trump is so great.

This is a weird article, because the end stats really don't match the thesis. It seems the overall support for Trump is going down, slowly, but still going on. I guess the top half is mostly like his hardcore supporters? But eh, as others said, gave up on most of those people a long time ago

In Michigan, Trump voters still have the president's back.... too bad nobody (the GOP nor Trump himself) has their backs.... and they will sink away into a future of despair never realizing that....

... sad.

drspeedy

Bridge really does have a lot of great info, and not really biased either way. One of the "March for Trump" quotes kinda boils it all down: if you're looking for validation, you'll find it.

“I used to watch CNN, and so much of it was so negative about Trump,” Begick said. “It really turned me off, so now I’m more watching Fox and listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio.”

He doesn’t know if the people at the rally are socially conservative like him, or people just desperate for something to shake up a system that seems to be leaving them in the dust.
“This used to be a big union town, but a lot of those jobs are gone,” he said. “Trump said he was bringing jobs back, and that was appealing.”

Miracle

I'm really bored of these articles by now. Every week we see a new one and are suppossed to act surprised.

Trump voters are racist morons. His base will stick with him no matter what. They are idiots. They don't matter. They aren't the people who swung at the last minute in his favour, and they won't decide the next election.

Anyone who describes themself as an 'angry white voter' just isn't even worth bothering with. You aren't *ever* persuading those people to change. Let's remember over 50% of republicans thought Nixon shouldn't resign two days before he did. We just have to accept part of the party will support their leader no matter what, and move on. Let's stop pretending this is somehow new, or newsworthy, or should impact on strategies or planning in any way other than 'how do we counter these racists'.

The thing is, these people also breed, and bring in future racist morons that will breed more racist morons.

Real life is becoming Idiocracy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

Moved to Midland from Chicago in '07. Could not believe how many confederate flags and McCain signs I saw around there. The danger of our company getting swallowed up as things unfolded in '08 was terrifying.

Moved from Midland to Farmington Hills in '10. I was shocked to see so many Trump/Pence signs in my neighborhood in November, but I'm glad to at least have a democratic rep here who holds regular town halls. I know the map linked earlier shows it's still not at the '08 values, but home prices in our neighborhood have climbed pretty steeply over the last 2-3 years. Still, I'm keeping my options open regarding moving to somewhere blue if things refuse to change here, and just hoping there's not another crash before we GTFO.

Yep. I would be very interested to see how many MSU and U of M grads stick around in-state. I have to imagine it's not a high rate.
Midland has been a pretty Republican heavy county for decades, especially with the love affair here people around here had with Regan. Even when all surrounding counties had a majority vote for Obama Midland stayed red. Rural Midland as you know, pretty much begins the instant you leave the city limits (and still is rural in spots even while within) it's a city with a large older, more conservative population who in turn had kids that followed their footsteps, a large portion of which is fairly well off thanks to Dow. Whether it's Midland, Sanford, Coleman or pretty much any of the townships, it's weighted pretty heavily red unlike Bay and Saginaw counties that had much greater union presence since both are or were more in the past, component manufacturing hubs for automakers or Isabella/Mount Pleasant with CMU and Chippewa Indian Tribe though Isabella like my county is another with a still active KKK chapter so you have one to the north and to the west of Midland. =\

2nd term incoming.
The Independents and gerrymandering mainly pushed him in. I just don't see him winning a second term.

Note: I bet money that he would beat Hillary and obviously won. I'm not a supporter, but the thought that a woman was not going to succeed a black man. Not in today's America.

People will not admit that Trump is a fuck up. They say it now, but if they are broke and sick, they will change their tune.

Remember, if 3% change their votes, it's a huge tide, in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom