• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-N-Out Burgers not coming east. Steak N Shake still secretly the best.

In n out is shit anyway. It's more of a salad on a bun than a burger.
Plus, animal style is nasty, for any West Coasters who want to insist that I order wrong.

Had it when I went to Vegas and people here said I ordered "wrong" because I got a plain cheeseburger and side of fries, both of which weren't tasty and quite frankly mediocre (the fries were the worst fast food fries I've ever had). I was told I had to order animal style fries and get some other shit on my burger, but if you have to add so many other things to these items in order to enjoy them, then that's not very good.

I was told the same thing, and I got their regular burger (don't even remember the name of it now) as it's meant to come.
If I have to slather my food in thousand island just for it to taste good, it's not worth eating.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Competition from Shake Shack and Five Guys? We have In-N-Out, Shake Shack and Five Guys in Southern California.

In'n'Out isn't driven by nostalgia. I didn't have it until I was in my twenties while visiting a friend in SoCal and he was offended that I'd never even heard of In'n'Out (they weren't up in NorCal at the time) so he took me there. Easily my favorite burger chain, although there's a Five Guys and Habit near here and sometimes I'll go there instead. Nice to have choices.

It's not just childhood nostalgia.

Anthony Bordain, who's a New Yorker, on In-N-Out:
https://youtu.be/R4J1seTHAMU

Gordon Ramsay, who's British, on In-N-Out:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/334wcy/i_am_gordon_ramsay_ama/cqhjxya

I'd heard the Anthony Bordain one, I didn't realize Gordon Ramsey is a fan too. Hard to deny the quality, even if you don't like the style of the burger, with those endorsements.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The other thing people don't seem to remember is that going to In-N-Out costs like 1/3 what it costs to go to Five Guys and you can just drive through. In-N-Out is beloved because it costs less than going to McDonalds and is like 10 times better. Comparing it to 8 dollar hamburgers isn't really a fair comparison.

A Double-Double costs $3.45.

Google

Guys. In and out is great.

No one is pretending it's the single best food in the world but lets not shit on it just because its good and not everyone can have it everyday.

Angry Grimace

This thread isn't doing me any favors. I barely ate anything and In-N-Out is open until 1 a.m. It's 10:45 pm and there's one a couple miles away.

The thread re-name would be better if we didn't already have Five Guys throughout In-N-Out's existing markets. We have Shake Shack in SoCal too...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Five Guys has been in my town for a while. They don't seem to be doing very well.
We have basically everything at this point.
The Habit came around the same time as Five Guys and is busy despite being very close to an In-N-Out.
In-N-Out is still busy enough to keep me from eating there often.

This thread isn't doing me any favors. I barely ate anything and In-N-Out is open until 1 a.m. It's 10:45 pm and there's one a couple miles away.

There will probably still be a line.

Angry Grimace

There will probably still be a line.

I'm sure there is, but they have a drive through and I don't have to put on real pants. But I'm wavering. I went from 226 to 202 in the last two months and it wasn't accomplished by eating burgers at 11 pm lol

Ernest

Banned
For roughly $3, you can't beat a Double-Double from In N Out.

NONE of the burger places mentioned in this thread have a comparable burger at that price.
That VALUE along with it's quality is what puts InO over the top.

KingV

From the earlier posts it seems like I should go to Culver's the next time I go to "the city"...

Culver's is shit. Butter burgers are not good, and frankly even their custard is at best mediocre.

I'd go to a Don N Millie's instead if there is one where you call "city".

bachikarn

Open one in Seattle!

I've only had In n Out a couple of times and to me, it is by far the best fast food burger. With that said, it's still just a fast food burger and they can only be so good. I feel like some have unreasonable expectations due to the insane hype.

Chris R

lol at the salty east coast bias title change

Five Guys isn't terrible, but you are paying 3-4x for stuff that isnt 3-4x as tasty.

Volimar

I've still never had five guys even though they have a location in town. Don't they give you like a shitload of fries?

KingV

Open one in Seattle!

I've only had In n Out a couple of times and to me, it is by far the best fast food burger. With that said, it's still just a fast food burger and they can only be so good. I feel like some have unreasonable expectations due to the insane hype.

Dicks Drive In is great. I wouldn't need In N out if I had that locally.

NONE of the burger places mentioned in this thread have a comparable burger at that price.

You've clearly never been to a Cook Out.
A double cheese burger (with bacon!), two sides, and a drink.
5 dollars and some change.

Yes, 5 is more than 3, but you get all that (it's quality food!) for two dollars more than the cost of an InO burger alone.

Yup.

Was in NYC this week and was jonesing for Shake Shack.

Double Shack Burger + Fries + Milkshake came out to $18.75

I love Shake Shack, but that's a fucking joke.

Syriel

More like a bunch of people finding it cute that In and Out above all else is the west coast fast food gem that won't be shared.

Both are crap compared to the One True GOAT Burger(tm).

1483996695042.jpg

Tagyhag

You know what's an underrated chain burger place with prices that aren't sit down restaurant prices?

o.jpg

$4 for those beauties.

I never hear anyone in Cali talk about them.

Not

Banned
Five Guys isn't afraid of entering In N Out's turf though, mods. And for good reason, Five Guys is obviously destroying them here.

You know what's an underrated chain burger place with prices that aren't sit down restaurant prices?

o.jpg

$4 for those beauties.

I never hear anyone in Cali talk about them.

They're... fine

I guess

Just your average burger

Beats Baker's for sure

KingV

Fuck In-N-Out. I had it when I went to the west coast and it's overrated as hell. We'll do just fine with Cookout here in NC.

Damn. Cookout is struggle as fuck too. The only redeeming quality is that it is cheap as shit.

Edit: that might be too harsh. It's not awful, it's just aggressively average.

Volimar

I got sticker shock recently when I went to McDonald's. Their sandwiches have gotten expensive.

I don't like onions so I can't stand White Castle. I can't even stand the smell of them in the bags. Makes me sick to my stomach.

East coast ain't got shit till they get a Mo' Better Meaty Meat Burger restaurant. And LOL at the people claiming In-n-Out is overpriced. You can get a full combo for like 5.50.

Tagyhag

They're... fine

I guess

Just your average burger

Beats Baker's for sure

They taste really fresh which is what I like. In-N-Out burgers are a bit cheaper but you don't get as much meat. While Five Guys burgers are more than double the price while not tasting double as good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Five Guys sucks bad. They are most definitely not afraid of entering their turf. In N' Out doesn't even think about Five Guys.

Dishwalla

Banned
I got sticker shock recently when I went to McDonald's. Their sandwiches have gotten expensive.

Yeah I miss when you could get a cheeseburger for like 69 cents, wasn't even that long ago. I like McD's burgers but they are too expensive for what they are.

Sandfox

I would got to Five Guys if it wasn't like $20 for a single fast food meal. I have like five burger chains over them.

In-N-Out is a good value burger and animal style fries going for them.

Some of u sound like jilted lovers

It's cool, in so Cal, we have in n out, shake shack, five guys, fat burger and the habit

Heavenly
Pretty much.

theWB27

All these Least Coasters pretending they don't want In-N-Out.

Lived in cali and had in and out twice. Sonic is a much better burger and so is steak and shake.

It's not gross... but one certainly shouldn't worry about not ever having it. Same goes for fatburger.

Tried 5 Guys not too long ago, and came out disappointed.
First off, the beef had no flavor what so ever (not even salt).
The price was too much. If I order fries for one, I don't need an extra scoop of fries. How about you keep that extra scoop out and charge me less you mf'ers.

i live in california and have a five guys and in n out like 2 minutes away from each other. I prefer five guys. In n outs patties are too small

I like it. I like adding the green chilis especially. The fries suck but you know what you're getting.

I'm in ptown and there's a couple dependable Burgervilles that are better but I don't think they're as consistent. The best way to go at Burgervilles is a American collosal with bacon but it's close to $6 bucks.

I've always been intrigued by that Cookout place. Even though it's horrible for the environment I love styrofoam containers. That stuff is contraband here but it brings back warm nostalgic feelings. When I see those milkshakes in styrofoam cups I just get tempted.

Which absurdly over-seasoned mod changed that title?

In-n-Out blows Five Guys away so on burger taste so badly it's sad that people pay 10 bucks for a worse burger. Don't even get me started on Shake Shack...almost 20 dollars for a meal that's "okay".

I'm more of a Habit guy, but I think In-n-Out burgers are fantastic bang for your buck.

Top Bottom