• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-N-Out Burgers not coming east. Steak N Shake still secretly the best.

Haha, the ads I am now getting on here...

XiBOlTK.png

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I travel all the time for work, and have had all of the big options multiple times.

In my opinion:

Shake Shack > In N Out >>>> Five Guys >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Wendy's/SteakNShake/Freddy's/etc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whataburger

Places like The Habit and Fatburger, Smashburger, Winsteads, BRGR, and local dinners are all usually pretty damn decent; but IMO, they don't fall into the same category of "fast food" as the big guys. I know that's an arbitrary separation; but I think it's the focus on thickburgers for the latter that disinterests me.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
#3 competition is not a real reason. Texas has Shakeshack, Smashburger, 5 Guys, steak and shake, Carl's and the GOAT Whataburger and Houston is getting an In-N-Out.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I travel all the time for work, and have had all of the big options multiple times.

In my opinion:

Shake Shack > In N Out >>>> Five Guys >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Wendy's/SteakNShake/Freddy's/etc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whataburger

Places like The Habit and Fatburger, Smashburger, Winsteads, BRGR, and local dinners are all usually pretty damn decent; but IMO, they don't fall into the same category of "fast food" as the big guys. I know that's an arbitrary separation; but I think it's the focus on thickburgers for the latter that disinterests me.

Wendy's is horrible I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt but to put Wendy's above anything you've got to be trolling. What makes Whataburger so bad in your wrong opinion?

Camwi

Wendy's is horrible I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt but to put Wendy's above anything you've got to be trolling. What makes Whataburger so bad in your wrong opinion?

Wendy's is generally regarded as the best and highest quality of the major fast food chains, so I don't know why that's so confusing to you.

reKon

Banned
Price does matter when it comes to these things. In-N-Out gets you the most bang for buck here. How is this even an argument?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Wendy's is generally regarded as the best and highest quality of the major fast food chains, so I don't know why that's so confusing to you.

I'm not confused. They're burgers are bland and overly moist. The just don't taste good. Simple as that. Oh and I hate that you have tell them no ketchup. Ketchup on a burger should not be standard.

snap

Banned
Mid-west? Are there some here in Cincinnati?

Oh there are, three in fact. Got to try this place.

They need to hurry the fuck up with the Wrigleyville location. I can't wait to try it.

The best thing by far at Culver's are the fried cheese curds. The burgers themselves are alright--they're very good at melting in your mouth, like a butterburger should, but don't use that for a vehicle to go anywhere; in comparison, the Monterey Melt at Whataburger uses its meltiness to deliver a small amount of spiciness, which made anything I got at Culver's seem almost bland in comparison.

Ernest

Banned
By not expanding in order to maintain QC, In N Out is trying to prevent what happened to Five Guys from happening to them.

A while ago (7 to 8 years), 5G used to be awesome - then they expended like fuck, and it turned to crap. Their burgers are so inconstant! You can order 2 identical burgers, and they will each vary wildly. Heck, one burger will be inconsistent mostly because they're made will zero TLC; one bite will have all the lettuce, one bite will have all the pickles, etc.
In N Out has the most consistent quality control of any fast food ever. It's not even close.

And again - their relatively low price just puts them over the top.

The best thing by far at Culver's are the fried cheese curds. The burgers themselves are alright--they're very good at melting in your mouth, like a butterburger should, but don't use that for a vehicle to go anywhere; in comparison, the Monterey Melt at Whataburger uses its meltiness to deliver a small amount of spiciness, which made anything I got at Culver's seem almost bland in comparison.

As a Wisconsinite, the cheese curds at Culver's are the only item on the menu that disappoints. Way too much breading & no squeekiness that you expect out of a good cheese curd. Any local mom n' pop place or any fair curds in Wisconsin completely destroy Culver's curds.

Their burgers & custard are to die for & their fries are very good though.

geestack

i had shake shack for the first time the other day and was severely disappointed in the price and the size. i will take in n out any day over them.

tkscz

There are no Whataburger in Ohio, so couldn't go there. I'll basically be comparing the burgers from Culver to Jack-in-the-box, whose burgers are really juicy and spiced just right. Not sure what a cheese curd is.

ZOONAMI

I'm not confused. They're burgers are bland and overly moist. The just don't taste good. Simple as that. Oh and I hate that you have tell them no ketchup. Ketchup on a burger should not be standard.

LOL my burger is too moist? First I've heard of someone wanting a dry burger. They don't have a bunch of fucking filler in their patties, so yeah you get a greasier, tastier burger. To each their own on the ketchup, that's why you can tell them to hold it.

finalflame

Gold Member
Lol @ comparing Five Guys' $9 burgers to a $3.50 double double. I love Five Guys, but the comparison is disingenuous to say the least.

ZOONAMI

There are no Whataburger in Ohio, so couldn't go there. I'll basically be comparing the burgers from Culver to Jack-in-the-box, whose burgers are really juicy and spiced just right. Not sure what a cheese curd is.

A cheese curd is a deep fried cheese curd, and yeah Culver's curds are the shit frozen ones with too much breading. Best curds are battered not breaded, and don't go too crazy with the batter. Even just a fried curd with no batter is pretty good.

snap

Banned
As a Wisconsinite, the cheese curds at Culver's are the only item on the menu that disappoints. Way too much breading & no squeekiness that you expect out of a good cheese curd. Any local mom n' pop place or any fair curds in Wisconsin completely destroy Culver's curds.

Their burgers & custard are to die for & their fries are very good though.

Live in Arizona so I don't have the luxury of going to any burger place and finding cheese curds.

Comparing even Culver's to Jack-In-The-Box is like comparing a freshly grilled hot dog to a three-day old half-eaten dog you found in the trash. If that's your only frame of reference then you'll be happy with Culver's.

And yeah, Whataburger is mostly a Texas thing, with a few expansions to neighboring states.

snap

Banned
Whataburger>>>Culver's>>>In N Out>Smashburger>Five Guys>Habit Burger>>>Carl's Jr>McD's>Jack-in-the-box>Wendy's>Burger King

Of course, gourmet stuff like Zinburger are in another tier altogether.

Flo_Evans

I dont want to be that guy but I was in LA last week. Had in-n-out 2 times and it was not as good as I remember.

IDK if my tastes have advanced, quality has dropped, or better other options are more widely available but I can see how people are not impressed anymore.

tkscz

Live in Arizona so I don't have the luxury of going to any burger place and finding cheese curds.

Comparing even Culver's to Jack-In-The-Box is like comparing a freshly grilled hot dog to a three-day old half-eaten dog you found in the trash. If that's your only frame of reference then you'll be happy with Culver's.

And yeah, Whataburger is mostly a Texas thing, with a few expansions to neighboring states.

Don't you insult Jack. Those are damn good burgers.

Steak N Shake's service has been shit at every one I've been to. No burger is worth waiting 15-20 minutes in drive-thru for.

The quality of In-N-Out burgers is fantastic based on how little they cost.

norm9

IDK if my tastes have advanced, quality has dropped, or better other options are more widely available but I can see how people are not impressed anymore.

How much more impressive does a $3 burger made with all fresh ingredients have to be?

finalflame

Gold Member
I dont want to be that guy but I was in LA last week. Had in-n-out 2 times and it was not as good as I remember.

The thing about In-N-Out for me has always been price, consistency, and the fact it has a very particular taste that you can only get at In-N-Out. It's very good, but it'll always lose out to more expensive places like Five Guys in terms of pure taste, IMO. I've missed it dearly since leaving California. For the record, Dick's in Seattle is not a suitable substitute -- it's just shittier for the same price.

Look at this:

bOqn3KB.jpg

It's a < $4 burger. Come on now.

With that said, I've never liked In-N-Out's fries, well done or not.

Flo_Evans

The thing about In-N-Out for me has always been price, consistency, and the fact it has a very particular taste that you can only get at In-N-Out. It's very good, but it'll always lose out to more expensive places like Five Guys in terms of pure taste, IMO. I've missed it dearly since leaving California. For the record, Dick's in Seattle is not a suitable substitute -- it's just shittier for the same price.

Look at this:

bOqn3KB.jpg

Thats the thing, it was pretty inconsistent. One time was OK the other was like an average mcdonalds trip. Cold soggy fries, lukewarm burgers. Never happened at in-n-out before.

Its the same with my local steak and shake. If done right its fucking awesome. If you get the wrong shift and no one cares about making it right it sucks.

finalflame

Gold Member
Thats the thing, it was pretty inconsistent. One time was OK the other was like an average mcdonalds trip. Cold soggy fries, lukewarm burgers. Never happened at in-n-out before.

Its the same with my local steak and shake. If done right its fucking awesome. If you get the wrong shift and no one cares about making it right it sucks.

That's unfortunate, one of In-N-Out's biggest claims to fame is paying decently well for fast food and hiring dedicated smiling people who will apply their processes in such a way to achieve the consistency you've come to expect. Sounds like the LA stores need a whoopin'.

snap

Banned

Look at this:

bOqn3KB.jpg

too much lettuce.

Top Bottom