• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the US, PS5 is now trending 5% above PS4 and 87% ahead of PS3, while Xbox Series trails Xbox One by 10% yet leads Xbox 360 by 6%

jm89

After a period of post-launch constraints that both limited sales potential while also causing planners across the industry to pull out significant amounts of hair, supply of new hardware has become more readily available. PlayStation 5 has been particularly strong over the past year, with its supply noticeably improving beginning in July 2022. We expect PlayStation 5 to remain the hardware market sales leader into at least 2025.
Despite the supply constraints early in the generation each console is comparing well to prior hardware releases. On a comparative basis, PlayStation 5 is now trending 5% above PlayStation 4 and 87% ahead of PlayStation 3 in time aligned units sold life-to-date, while Xbox Series trails Xbox One by 10% yet leads Xbox 360 by 6%.
Switch has also continued to perform strongly in 2023, helped by the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In fact, the US lifetime sales of Switch hardware finally surpassed those of Wii in the US market during July 2023. Switch lifetime sales now trail Xbox 360 by less than one million units, and PlayStation 2 by fewer than five million.
We are, however, seeing a shift in the customer base for new video game hardware. Circana’s Checkout service has uncovered that high income households (those earning over $100k/year) are contributing most to current video game hardware sales, a significant shift from where the market was at the beginning of 2020. Higher prices in everyday spending categories such as food and gas, as well as a shift from Switch towards more expensive PlayStation 5 consoles are likely contributing factors, among others.

Last edited:

Zones

jim-ryan-taniec-dance-zakon-peliksy.gif

jm89

Subscription services spending has also plateued.

One area that did particularly well through 2020 and 2021 was subscription. New service offerings, a limited new release slate due to delays, and a consumer base with plenty of time regularly resulted in double-digit percentage growth for subscription spending early in the decade.

Recently, however, subscription spending has plateaued. US consumer spending on video game subscription services has settled in at around $400 million per month after having first reached that level in November of 2021. Subscription fatigue, fewer available dollars for discretionary spending due to higher food and gas prices, slow mass market adoption of cloud gaming and a strong slate of new premium releases may be contributing factors to the slowdown.

Circana-Update.jpg

Will be interesting to see how much starfield boosts gamepass subs and more importantly is it maintained long term.

Too many competing subscription services and people will probably prefer to keep their tv/movie subscription rather then their game subscription.

Last edited:

MrTired

Xbox in the 360 era: we're selling like bananas
people: the 360 is the leader of the gen, man. Fuck Nintendo!

Xbox in the Series era: we're selling better than 360
people: Xbox is doomed

Context matters, the 360 tap into motion controls which open it up to new but fickle market.
What do you believe is going to give the Series console I new lease of life?
Because the gap it has on the 360 is closing and the gap the One has on Series is growing.

Last edited:

Woopah

PS5 has been killing it since supply normalised.

Good to get Confirmation that Switch has passed the Wii. Will probably pass 360 and PS2 to be the 2nd best selling system in the US market.

The 360 didn't really take off until the end of its 3rd year though. It actually started very slow. Xbox series will fall behind over the next year.

I think a lot of people don't realize that the 360 came out a full year before the PS3. It was released in 2005.

Halo 3 didn't release until 2007. Though Gears of War a much smaller success came out in 2006.

Uncharted 2 which kind of marked the PS3 getting things back on track didn't release until 2009 and then God of War 3 in 2010. It did have Metal Gear Solid 4 in 2008 though (still 3 years after the 360 launch).

360 had a year head start and was significantly cheaper than the PS3. That head start and price allowed it to gain significant userbase in the US, especially Sony's difficulty in getting major software on the PS3.

yazenov

Starfield won't move a lot of consoles since it's a PC-centric game where most of its sales will be on that platform.

Starfield may temporarily boost the Gamepass subscription numbers, but with nothing to sustain that growth, it will return to normal very soon.

Yikes at the 10% below Xbox One numbers, despite the cheaper S model priced at $299 at launch, Gamepass, and all the studio and pub purchases.

Unknown?

You can hate on Microsoft all you want but they have managed to resurrect Age of Empires and actually put out some good shit for that franchise. Meanwhile, Sony let Motorstorm, Wipeout and Resistance die.
Was AoE4 any good? I got the definitive edition of 2 because 4 was way more expensive and didn't look much different.

Mr.Phoenix

Xbox in the 360 era: we're selling like bananas
people: the 360 is the leader of the gen, man. Fuck Nintendo!

Xbox in the Series era: we're selling better than 360
people: Xbox is doomed
Xbox in 360 era, over 33% RROD failure rate that sewed actual sales numbers.
Xbox in XS era, we are better than 360 by 6% but worse than XB1 by 10%... didnt the XB1 go on to sell only like 50M units in 7 years?

Context, yh I know it can be a bitch sometimes.

You can hate on Microsoft all you want but they have managed to resurrect Age of Empires and actually put out some good shit for that franchise. Meanwhile, Sony let Motorstorm, Wipeout and Resistance die.
Want me to list out the new IPs Sony has brought to market since then?

Bias, yh I know it can be a bitch sometimes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Starfield won't move a lot of consoles since it's a PC-centric game where most of its sales will be on that platform.

Starfield may temporarily boost the Gamepass subscription numbers, but with nothing to sustain that growth, it will return to normal very soon.

Yikes at the 10% below Xbox One numbers, despite the cheaper S model priced at $299 at launch, Gamepass, and all the studio and pub purchases.
One things for sure....all eyes will be on Starfield.

This game has a metric ton of pressure on it to deliver anything positive for MS.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The 360 didn't really take off until the end of its 3rd year though. It actually started very slow. Xbox series will fall behind over the next year.
Unless they turn it around.
No, there is no turning things "around" at this point. They can mitigate bleeding but they aren't "turning things around" unless Sony decides to somehow completely flop the rest of the gen.
What has turning it around got to do with Sony? My interoperation of turning it around is see growth for their console division. As long as by the end of the generation they've sold more that Xbox one, they have turned it around.

They have absolutely lost this generation, if you care about wars and one beating the other. There is no reality where microsoft can compete with Sony on console sales this generation. But they an absolutely turn around this shit year and return to being positive over Xbox one, and hopefully outsell 360 too. That would be a massive win for MS but I think its impossible to outsell 360 in the US.

Zuzu

I don't think it will fix their situation but we have to wait and see what Starfield does.
Yeah, I have no idea. It might cause a bit of an increase in sales for a month or two and then sales will drop again. It's probably not going to create any long-lasting momentum.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

What has turning it around got to do with Sony? My interoperation of turning it around is see growth for their console division. As long as by the end of the generation they've sold more that Xbox one, they have turned it around.

They have absolutely lost this generation, if you care about wars and one beating the other. There is no reality where microsoft can compete with Sony on console sales this generation. But they an absolutely turn around this shit year and return to being positive over Xbox one, and hopefully outsell 360 too. That would be a massive win for MS but I think its impossible to outsell 360 in the US.
Well they tried that last gen.

So here we are again.....same story, different gen. It really is sounding like broken record.

Guess they try this yet again.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well they tried that last gen.

So here we are again.....same story, different gen. It really is sounding like broken record.

Guess they try this yet again.

Tried what last gen? The xbox one was a mess from the start. The series X is actually a great console with no kinect bullshit and TV, TV, TV. We've had covid mess up a lot of stuff. I mean we haven't heard anything about new games from quite a lot of studios for a while. Microsoft COULD start hitting their stride now and turn it around, or they wont and they will be worse of than xbox one. Which would be catastrophic for them.

It's a bad result. And the Series X is so much better than the One was yet it's not attracting people.
So far until now it still has less games even than the One, so it’s no wonder it’s not attracting people at the moment. Can turn around, but it’ll take years of quality output to change the tides

There is this pipe dream that all these units are going to sell due to starfield is going to leave a lot of people disappointed. The most sales of this game are going to be on PC where it isn't locked to 30 fps and has easier access to the modding community.

It isn't going to sell more than the X1... And it won't be close. 2024 is going to be a very difficult year for Xbox, more so than 2023.

Tsaki

There is this pipe dream that all these units are going to sell due to starfield is going to leave a lot of people disappointed. The most sales of this game are going to be on PC where it isn't locked to 30 fps and has easier access to the modding community.
Remember a few months ago the theories that MS was stashing hundreds of thousands of Xbox consoles for the Starfield release? The moment of truth is upon us.

Sanepar

It was doing better than PS3.
Ps3 wasn't even available first year fo xbox360. We are talking about xbox360 sales. Not ps3. Ps3 first years was horrendous. Firs party quality, slim and price drop changed the scenario. Xbox360 kinect made a strong push.

Tried what last gen? The xbox one was a mess from the start. The series X is actually a great console with no kinect bullshit and TV, TV, TV. We've had covid mess up a lot of stuff. I mean we haven't heard anything about new games from quite a lot of studios for a while. Microsoft COULD start hitting their stride now and turn it around, or they wont and they will be worse of than xbox one. Which would be catastrophic for them.

Maybe games isn't the only issue that Microsoft has. We will see if that's the only thing thats preventing them from being on par with the competition where sales are concerned.

Xbox in 360 era, over 33% RROD failure rate that sewed actual sales numbers.
Xbox in XS era, we are better than 360 by 6% but worse than XB1 by 10%... didnt the XB1 go on to sell only like 50M units in 7 years?

Context, yh I know it can be a bitch sometimes.

Want me to list out the new IPs Sony has brought to market since then?

Bias, yh I know it can be a bitch sometimes.
All things considered Xbox One sold very well in the US. I think some analysts put them around 47% vs 53% for the PS4 by the time 8th console gen ended.

Duchess

I knew MS were tracking down in UK and Europe, but now they're down against the Xbox One in the US, too? It's clear MS have lost this generation, and it'll take nothing short of a miracle to turn things around.

(also, we must yet again consider that this is with the Series S existing, being a cheaper console than the PS5 and XSX)

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

All things considered Xbox One sold very well in the US. I think some analysts put them around 47% vs 53% for the PS4 by the time 8th console gen ended.
I get that, but what does that split look like now? Especially with the XS tracking 10% behind the XB1? So we end this gen with what? A 60% to 40% split in favor of PS5 for the HD twins? In the Xbox's strongest territory no less. And then globally its tracking even worse than the XB1 too. At the rate it's going, it likely wouldn't even hit that 50M+ sales the XB1 managed. And mind you, the part everyone seems to forget/ignore... the XB1 had a launch price of $499. That was the cheapest you could get an XB1 for the first 6-8 months in its launch year before they unbundled kinect. The XS consoles had a launch price of $299.

$299!!!

And in truth, the only thing that matters is how it's doing compared to its last outing and whatever it's currently competing with.

Last edited:
I knew MS were tracking down in UK and Europe, but now they're down against the Xbox One in the US, too? It's clear MS have lost this generation, and it'll take nothing short of a miracle to turn things around.

(also, we must yet again consider that this is with the Series S existing, being a cheaper console than the PS5 and XSX)

Don't forget about the gamepass.

Thirty7ven

Banned

They seem to be losing install base to PC and PS5.

Starfield and co have to change this, because regardless of what the idiots say, MS losing install base to Steam and Sony doesn’t help Xbox hardware at all and in fact will hurt the console. We are already hearing about possible consequences like no mid Gen upgrade, and it could directly affect MS’s strategy for next gen hardware in terms of ambition.

Tsaki

And mind you, the part everyone seems to forget/ignore... the XB1 had a launch price of $499. That was the cheapest you could get an XB1 for the first 6-8 months in its launch year before they unbundled kinect. The XS consoles had a launch price of $299.

$299!!!

And in truth, the only thing that matters is how it's doing compared to its last outing and whatever it's currently competing with.
To add to your point, Xbox One has a sales boost coming with the release of One S and a year later with the One X.

Top Bottom