• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: "I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games"

[Nintex]

demosthenes said:
It would have been nice if he went around and addressed individual games and what makes them so awful instead of making a stupid blanket statement.
After that comment about Resident Evil 5, I don't want him to. He'll probably go on a rant about how... ah fuck it. Here's hoping Capcom management will kick him out and puts Yoshinori Ono in charge. The ritual to ask people to show their dollar bills in order to get a title greenlit is probably the brainchild of Inafune.

Vinci said:
Those sold fine. I wasn't claiming that they hadn't, just that the #1 new IPs this gen still dwarf what they've accomplished - and those IPs are from Japan. So, again, Inafune should be happy.

They're from Wikipedia as others have mentioned. I simply added up the Top 10 from each platform, added the PS3 and 360's together, and compared them to the DS's.

So we're counting the Wii in this, are we? Because there's no way the PS3 and 360 software has come close to the DS.

Ah, you went there. :lol And last I checked, that wasn't the argument at hand.
well, that's the reality of the market.

Those sold fine. I wasn't claiming that they hadn't, just that the #1 new IPs this gen still dwarf what they've accomplished - and those IPs are from Japan. So, again, Inafune should be happy.

You mean including Nintendo?

Because if you exclude them, the picture isn't that rosy.

jmdajr

Dr.Hadji said:
Oh, every other as in taking turns. I gotcha. Japan takes fighting games, West takes FPS, East takes Platformers, West takes RTS ect. Puzzle solved.

nope. The west has good platformers like ratchet and clank. I guess some say it's more of a shooter. But braid and limbo etc. are pretty good. Little Big Planet. No japanese there.

Who made world of good? Is that a puzzle game? Maybe more strategy. I don't think the japanese made that.

So yeah. I'm pretty much correct. Equal or better in everything EXCEPT fighting games.

Canova

Banned
jmdajr said:
One genre the Japanese are still good at..
Fighting games!

Every other genre has either been equaled or surpassed.

show me an RPG by western developers better than Demon's Souls

Vinci

Danish
Boombloxer said:
You mean including Nintendo?

Because if you exclude them, the picture isn't that rosy.

Oh yes, what am I thinking? No one includes Nintendo, as the company throws a massive wrench into any of the prevailing concepts being tossed around this generation. I forgot.

Canova

Banned
jmdajr said:
Fighting games!

show me an action game by western developers better than Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Bayonetta

Vinci said:
Oh yes, what am I thinking? No one includes Nintendo, as the company throws a massive wrench into any of the prevailing concepts being tossed around this generation. I forgot.

It's not that so much as no other company is seeing that much money, which is Inafune's point. Excluding the Nintendo franchises, which only benefits them financially, the outlook sucks, which is why they are coming west.

Please point out one 3rd party dev in Japan that has something along the lines of Assassin's Creed/Uncharted sales-wise. FF, RE5 and MGS are the biggest, none of those are new IP.

That's the point, it's not meant as a slight to Nintendo. They've been wildly successful, but not everyone has shared in it. Hence "we're in trouble, where can we get sales?"

Eteric Rice

I think part of the problem is the Japanese design stereotype. Every single game you see from them is made in the anime style.

They really need to move away from that and do like Demon's Souls did.

Atomski

darkpaladinmfc said:

Shoot1UP_Banner1.jpg

Not to say its the best but pretty good one by a westerner.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jmdajr said:
nope. The west has good platformers like ratchet and clank. I guess some say it's more of a shooter. But braid and limbo etc. are pretty good. Little Big Planet. No japanese there.

Who made world of good? Is that a puzzle game? Maybe more strategy. I don't think the japanese made that.

So yeah. I'm pretty much correct. Equal or better in everything EXCEPT fighting games.

Comparing Little Big Planet and Braid (which is more of a puzzle-platformer, a genre the Japanese have perfected back in 1986 with Wrecking Crew) to the Mario games is pretty laughable. Little Big Planet I wanted to like but it was just soooo floaty as to be unfun. I prefer extremely tight controls in my platformers.

Japan also has the edge on RPGs, IMO. Because combat system is much more important for me than dialogue trees, and nobody does that, constantly innovating, like Japan.

Canova

Banned
jmdajr said:
Fighting games!

Show me a racing game by western developers better than Gran Turismo 5!

jmdajr said:
I said equal or better. Those were my words.

Okay then let me change my post.

"Some good games" and "equal or surpassed the competition" aren't the same thing.

There.

canova said:
show me an action game by western developers better than Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Bayonetta

I thought you hated Bayonetta? :I

InfiniteNine said:
The hell is this?

I hear Oblivion is pretty good with mods.

[Nintex]

Fimbulvetr said:
"Some good games" and "surpassed the competition" aren't the same thing.
But Sonic and the Klonoa Remake aren't in the same league as Little Big Planet, Braid and Banjo Kazooie. Remember, Nintendo doesn't count, they don't exist and they certainly aren't developing games in Japan.

jman2050

No Western Studio has made a platformer that equals even Nintendo's worst efforts in that genre. The Japanese still have that genre on lockdown. The main problem is that no one outside of Nintendo really makes platformers anymore.

BTW, if you want to include Trine and Braid to prove your point, then know that it has to go up against Cave Story and La-Mulana as well. It's not even a contest there.

[Nintex]

jman2050 said:
No Western Studio has made a platformer that equals even Nintendo's worst efforts in that genre. The Japanese still have that genre on lockdown. The main problem is that no one outside of Nintendo really makes platformers anymore.

BTW, if you want to include Trine and Braid to prove your point, then know that it has to go up against Cave Story and La-Mulana as well. It's not even a contest there.
I'm going to put those games up against Super Metroid just because and laugh at the westaboo's

MYE

Boombloxer said:
Braid, Ratchet and Clank, Trine, LBP.

This is very debatable.

eh, no?

Which one of those equals or surpasses SMG?...SMG2?....NSMBWii?

And please, LBP is a nice Toy Box/Creation game, but its a terrible platformer.

jmdajr

I have loved and played Japanese games all my life. I'm still going to play whatever I think is worth my time. But I just call it like I see it.
If you all don't agree that's cool. I'm done here gentlemen.

peace.

Canova

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I thought you hated Bayonetta? :I

I never hated Bayonetta, I just think it's not as good as NGB or DMC3 or it's not the greatest action game like what others claimed to be. But anyway that's a different topic.

Right now it's about Western devs vs Japanese devs, and NG, DMC, and Bayonetta all represent Japanese devs.

Solid_Rain said:
In terms of depth of combat and even though it's a good game it's not even close.

Still debatable with 3. You could easily say the same thing about any of those games' stories, which all pale to God of War.

Comparing Little Big Planet and Braid (which is more of a puzzle-platformer, a genre the Japanese have perfected back in 1986 with Wrecking Crew) to the Mario games is pretty laughable.

To you. I've played all three, they each have their strengths and weaknesses, but to say it's laughable? Not really.

This is a genuine question--is there another Japanese platformer out there that is new and does something new? I'd want to play it.

canova said:
GoW isnt' bad, but better than NG, DMC? dream on. again.
Metacritic says otherwise. The God of War series ranges from 91 to 94, Ninja Gaiden is in the 80s, and DMC (excluding 2) ranges from 78 to 94.

jman2050

ChoklitReign said:
Metacritic says otherwise. The God of War series ranges from 91 to 94, Ninja Gaiden is in the 80s, and DMC (excluding 2) ranges from 78 to 94.

Oh god now we have people invoking Metacritic. This thread is beyond help.

MYE said:
eh, no?

Which one of those equals or surpasses SMG?...SMG2?....NSMBWii?

And please, LBP is a nice Toy Box/Creation game, but its a terrible platformer.

Honestly, I preferred Ratchet and Clank to SMG. Braid/LBP are both great platformers, if you haven't played some of the crazier levels, then say that.

Boombloxer said:
Still debatable with 3. You could easily say the same thing about any of those games' stories, which all pale to the first God of War.

Just clarifying some things.

canova said:
I never hated Bayonetta, I just think it's not as good as NGB or DMC3 or it's not the greatest action game like what others claimed to be. But anyway that's a different topic.

Oh okay, that makes sense.

Vinci

Danish
Boombloxer said:
It's not that so much as no other company is seeing that much money, which is Inafune's point. Excluding the Nintendo franchises, which only benefits them financially, the outlook sucks, which is why they are coming west.

But the west isn't doing remarkably well either. Hell, if you remove Nintendo from the picture, East or West, the industry is isn't in great shape.

Please point out one 3rd party dev in Japan that has something along the lines of Assassin's Creed/Uncharted sales-wise. FF, RE5 and MGS are the biggest, none of those are new IP.

That might be because Japan has been trying to follow the West's example the whole damn generation, and that's not necessarily what people want from the place. There used to be a distinct quality to Japanese games, but now, they simply feel like cheaper versions of Western ones because they don't have the budget that the big Western 3rd parties do.

That's the point, it's not meant as a slight to Nintendo. They've been wildly successful, but not everyone has shared in it. Hence "we're in trouble, where can we get sales?"

Then why on earth would you look at companies that are selling less, spending more, and mostly hemorrhaging cash and have adopted a model in which a single failure can mean you're looking for work?

Why not look at Nintendo? That's the most frustrating part of this. Everyone removes Nintendo from the equation because, sadly, it might mean that they went in the wrong direction and they might have to make games with less tech and budget than they really want to.

EDIT: And no, I don't want everyone to make the exact same sort of games as Nintendo - but at least pay attention to the only company in the industry's history to always be profitable.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ChoklitReign said:

Western press biased towards western games, perhaps?

(I'm not that big a fan of the stylish slash-em-up genre so I have no opinion or knowledge on what's better)

ChoklitReign said:

The first God of War game (I.E. the one acknowledged as having the worst gameplay out of the 3 main games) is rated highest.

And getting into that even more, lots of reviewers stated that the stories of the second and third games are as good(some even say better) than the first game; even though that is the wrongest thing you can say in the history of wrong.

Sadist

Vinci said:
Then why on earth would you look at companies that are selling less, spending more, and mostly hemorrhaging cash and have adopted a model in which a single failure can mean you're looking for work?

Why not look at Nintendo? That's the most frustrating part of this. Everyone removes Nintendo from the equation because, sadly, it might mean that they went in the wrong direction and they might have to make games with less tech and budget than they really want to.

EDIT: And no, I don't want everyone to make the exact same sort of games as Nintendo - but at least pay attention to the only company in the industry's history to always be profitable.
Because they would need to admit that Nintendo is doing things right and that's a big no-no.

Fimbulvetr said:
The first God of War game (I.E. the one acknowledged as having the worst gameplay out of the 3 main games) is rated highest.

And getting into that even more, lots of reviewers stated that the stories of the second and third games are as good(some even say better) than the first game; even though that is the wrongest thing you can say in the history of wrong.
What's your point? Should game reviews be banned because people's opinions change? I'm trying not to burst out laughing in class now because this thread has derailed into "which game series is the best in its genre."

ChoklitReign said:
What's your point? Should game reviews be banned because people's opinions change? I'm trying not to burst out laughing in class now because this thread has derailed into "which game series is the best in its genre."

Because:

ChoklitReign said:
Everyone has opinions.

StuBurns

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
It's just a basic measure. Everyone has opinions. I don't know why he thinks GoW is inferior to NG and DMC.
Metacritic is more useful when you actually post what they claim.

"Ninja Gaiden is in the 80s" really isn't that accurate.

NG - 91
NGB - 94
NGS - 88
NG2 - 81
NGS2 - 84

Top Bottom