• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune is Ready: Mighty No. 9 won't be delayed anymore, planning to make a sequel

Akronis

I HOPE he goes to kickstarter for the sequel to see the fucking meltdowns. I would laugh and laugh and laugh.

For reals though, I'm not too confident that this will be super successful. Still looks super meh.

SmithnCo

I think they've lost quite a bit of good will and the game will have to be great to have a chance at being a successful franchise like they plan.

L Thammy

Not feeling that confident about the first one yet, Inafking. I wish it actually looked like the mock up.

"Cannot say it's a complete success yet since it still haven't been released."

You don't say.

Zubz

Banned
I HOPE he goes to kickstarter for the sequel to see the fucking meltdowns. I would laugh and laugh and laugh.

For reals though, I'm not too confident that this will be super successful. Still looks super meh.

After Red Ash's colossal failure, a reasonable person would've cut his/her losses for now. Which is going to make it even more hilarious when he inevitably does!

I mean, he's already confident enough for a Mighty No. a TV show, spin-off game, and anime for the spin-off; he's going all in on this IP, so he'll make a sequel. And it's clear that the first game alone was enough to adhere him to KS. So I'm not surprised by any of these announcements (Yet I'm still baffled by them).

SoulUnison

Banned
I can't stand how much the devs have decided Mighty No. 9 is going to be some kind of massive franchise success before they've even managed to release a complete game.
I mean, there's already a TV show AND a movie in the pipeline, along with tons of random merchandise.
Mighty No. 9 could have been a fun little organic spiritual successor, but their handling of it has turned it into this huge "artificial" "manufactured" "focus tested" feeling homunculus of all the safest decisions and lowest common denominators.

I was *so* excited for Inafune to do a spiritual follow-up to Mega Man, but now the game's not even out and I'm sick of the franchise.

Inafune, I'm so disappointed in you.

I will never understand why people act willfully ignorant about all the shit Inafune has pulled and straw man the criticism into one facet of it.

I'm not saying the game cannot be criticized. I'm saying most of the backlash I've read is based on the assumption that because it doesn't look like a mock up picture therefore it's a scam, and don't tell me that's not a thing, because in other communities people keep saying that over and over again.

I think calling the game a scam is going too far, but it's definitely a disappointment. And not just because it doesn't look like the concept art.

After playing both demos that have been released I can say the game is fun. I'm not a fan of the graphics, though. But one thing is to criticize the game for what it is or what it is not, and another thing is to just write hyperbole for every single thing Inafune/Inti Creates does. In this case an interview were he states that he'd like to make a sequel (what developer wouldn't like his new game to be a success?)

So it's fine to produce something that looks like pile of shit? It's not like they promised anything right?

And gameplay/level design is mediocre at best.

Now, tell me this is not hyperbole...

The backlash is because the developer is dumb.
Unnecessary delays, unnecessary related products, and most of all setting up another kickstarter for another game before the already super delayed first game was released.

Pretty terrible PR makes for pretty terrible fan reactions. This isn't rocket science.

As I explained, most of the backlash I keep reading (the one I was referring in my original post) it's basically because the game doesn't look very impressive. I think they have made several mistakes in terms of how to address some things: the way they announced the delay of the game was pretty bad, for example, and also the slacker backer campaign was received very poorly by some people and Inti creates didn't do enough to convince people that that campaign was a good thing. By "unnecesary related products" I suppose you mean the TV show, Red Ash and that movie?, if that's the case those are projects that are being made by people not related to the develpment of MN9 (the game) and unless someone can prove that's wrong, the existence of those don't have an impact on the development of the game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'll only redeem my key on Steam (if it ever comes out) just to leave a negative review. Fuck Inafune.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'll just keep waiting for The Legend of Dark Witch 2, thanks.

Might bite at a 66% or lower markdown if the level design turns out to be not-terrible.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I backed Mighty No. 9 for $120. I was in the room when Inafune announced both the MN9 animation and the Red Ash Kickstarter. I seriously do not understand just how fucking angry everyone is?

I think they've mishandled the attempts to make it this huge multimedia franchise.
I think the game doesn't look all that pretty, and the gameplay looks maybe kind of simple.

But.

I understood what I was getting into by Kickstarting the project. And I am not going to hope everything he touches forever fails or sit and leave negative reviews of the game until I fucking play it. I don't know. I just can't get that angry about it. And I dropped a ton of money (for me!) on the game.

Akronis

I backed Mighty No. 9 for $120. I was in the room when Inafune announced both the MN9 animation and the Red Ash Kickstarter. I seriously do not understand just how fucking angry everyone is?

I think they've mishandled the attempts to make it this huge multimedia franchise.
I think the game doesn't look all that pretty, and the gameplay looks maybe kind of simple.

But.

I understood what I was getting into by Kickstarting the project. And I am not going to hope everything he touches forever fails or sit and leave negative reviews of the game until I fucking play it. I don't know. I just can't get that angry about it. And I dropped a ton of money (for me!) on the game.

That's a hilarious understatement. This whole campaign has been one PR blunder after another. He doesn't get it.

He announces a delay and then takes it back? Are the marketing and PR teams even talking to the devs? How does this even happen without gross mismanagement?

Something I've always noticed about Inafune is how he goes around, starting random different projects only to start other random different projects at the same time.

First, there was that Penguin game that got canned, then all of a sudden there's Yaiba, then we got Mighty No. 9, then we got ReCore, then Red Ash.

He doesn't settle down and stay focused on one project, he just jumps around and kick-starts different game concepts. I guess that's what it's like to be a businessman.

Cmagus

Meh the game looks super rough but I did like the gameplay of the demo so I'm interested in playing this but I certainly wouldn't kickstarter a new crowd funding campaign if they do one.

RowdyReverb

I helped Kickstart this game, but I haven't been anxiously awaiting it, so I guess the delays haven't bothered me. The footage has looked about on par with what I expected given the game's budget and Kickstarter origins, and a delay can only improve things. It looks like a decent enough Mega Man knockoff. I think some people must have had unrealistic expectations for this game.

I don't understand the outrage surrounding it. The game is coming along and it doesn't look like vaporware, so what's the big deal? Their community management? Who cares?

Girl BYE. This game deserves to flop miserably for the way this man has played with people's time and money.
I don't think that will help at all, actually. The people that have had high hopes for this game for so long deserve to be rewarded with a good game. Now when it comes to unit sales, that's entirely different. Wonderful 101 was a good game but did terribly in sales. Let's hope inafune gets what he deserves and it turns out that way

todd360

I can safely say that ive seen that tweet more times than I have seen any other tweet. I can also say that I never want to see it again

ArjanN

Do you guys absolutely have to clog up every thread about this game with the same tired old shit every time?

Let's be real. in all likelyhood the game will come out and be a decent Mega Man-like game and 90% of the internet drama will look pretty darn stupid in hindsight.

A question to Mega Man fans, (After MN9 releases) would you guys be willing to back a sequel if Inafune promised a proper 2D MM clone?

Pizza

He probably took a look at the story supercut and decided to trash it all.

The delay is because he's refocusing the game to be less linear, and they have to work to patch together a new game out of the old version's scraps.

Except that's really hard :( so the planned dlc will instead be the rest of leftovers from the base game, and after that proves to be too difficult to keep up with they'll just toss in exp boosters.

Everything left over from the original cut of MN9 and it's original dlc plans have now been handed to High Moon studios so they can paste it into the fall 2017 sequel.

He probably took a look at the story supercut and decided to trash it all.

The delay is because he's refocusing the game to be less linear, and they have to work to patch together a new game out of the old version's scraps.

Except that's really hard :( so the planned dlc will instead be the rest of leftovers from the base game, and after that proves to be too difficult to keep up with they'll just toss in exp boosters.

Everything left over from the original cut of MN9 and it's original dlc plans have now been handed to High Moon studios so they can paste it into the fall 2017 sequel.

I get it. Hopefully this game is even close to as good as that game is.

Fury451

Banned
This is been such a bizarre roller coaster to watch. I didn't put money into back the game, but I was highly curious and interested in the project. Seeing it turn this way, all before even releasing, is highly upsetting.

Nose Master

Spoilers: The game isn't bad, but it is going to tank like crazy.

Also, bullshit. They released a patch to the demo with minor aesthetic adjustments instead of actually working on the real game. Their priorities are still bananas.

SonyToo!™;182487563 said:
A question to Mega Man fans, (After MN9 releases) would you guys be willing to back a sequel if Inafune promised a proper 2D MM clone?

Never again. I dropped $160 on this nightmare. Inafune has lied and mishandled this game so much at this point, it's gonna be a long time before anyone takes his nonsense at face value again.

This is been such a bizarre roller coaster to watch. I didn't put money into back the game, but I was highly curious and interested in the project. Seeing it turn this way, all before even releasing, is highly upsetting.
It should have been entirely expected, this is exactly how he acted with Megaman when he was at Capcom.

woopWOOP

Hey, remember that Mega Man 2 was so awesome because the development team gave it their all to make the ultimate sequel before shelving the franchise?

Who knows Might No.9 2 will hit it out of the park!!

I believe!!!

I
Now, tell me this is not hyperbole...

By 2015 standard, it isn't.

If someone told me this is a PS2 game, I would believe them (settings are maxed out).

a1krcfS.jpg

SonyToo!™;182487563 said:

MN9 would have to be REALLY freaking good. Even then, I wouldn't pledge close to amount I did for this. Too much bullshit with the development and follow up kickstarter scumming.

And he's already trying to weasel not-Zero back in. I am sick of watching Inafune using his games to metaphorically masturbate to this character.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This guy really should have hired a project manager. A good project manager.

catbrush

He produced what seems to be a decent game on a shoestring budget. Game development takes a lot of time and a lot of money. What is everyone's duckling problem?

I've never seen so many entitled brats.

Lol he has some audacity for announcing a sequel to a game thats not even out yet. Man MM9 has just been one crazy turn after another.

Top Bottom