• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned
It bombed so horribly that it destroyed Squaresoft. Enix basically had to buy them out for the 'merger' we speak of so fondly to even happen. Sony could have stepped in and bought them at that point, but they chose not to.

Wow, seems Sony made a bad mistake, I mean Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts being on Xbox as well won't really hurt Sony, but Sony bragging about how they have Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, among others can really help.

Tamanon

Banned
Wow, seems Sony made a bad mistake, I mean Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts being on Xbox as well won't really hurt Sony, but Sony bragging about how they have Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, among others can really help.

I don't think it makes that big a difference. Sony is still seen as the de facto Square system for the most part, especially since the 360 doesn't have any presence in Japan.

graywolf323

I'm not sure what Sony's interest in Atlus would be in the first place. Atlus' games don't sell a lot, even their most popular franchise barely moves a million units worldwide if at all. At the same time there's a relatively big publishing arm attached to the company, especially in the US, that Sony would need to pay for without having a use for it.

I honestly fail to see what would Atlus make a worthwhile investment for them.

I can at least somewhat understand the people throwing Nintendo's name around, since the company has alread some sort of partnership going on that they are financially invested in, but even then the burdens seem still too huge as that a Nintendo buyout would seem likely to me.

Sony puts out a lot of games that aren't huge sellers

do you really think Tokyo Jungle did anything beyond what a normal Atlus game sells?

I don't think it makes that big a difference. Sony is still seen as the de facto Square system for the most part, especially since the 360 doesn't have any presence in Japan.

In honesty though, if Sony did buy out Square when they had the chance, things would have developed very differently and Sony probably wouldn't have let the JRPG genre flounder and fester in the handheld ghetto like it did.

FluxWaveZ

People keep saying how Sony or Nintendo should buy Atlus because it makes sense for them.

No one actually is trying to think about what makes sense for Index and Atlus. They will decide who to sell to, so they will sell to the place that is the best fit for Atlus.

Why would Index care about that? They'd sell it to the highest bidder.

wrowa

Sony puts out a lot of games that aren't huge sellers

do you really think Tokyo Jungle did anything beyond what a normal Atlus game sells?

That's not the point and I'm sure you understand that there's a huge difference between funding niche games and buying a company that makes nothing but niche games which also has an expensive publishing arm both in the Japan and the US that is completely worthless to Sony.

If it was just about Atlus' development then it would be another matter altogether. However, it's about much more than just that.

Why would Index care about that? They'd sell it to the highest bidder.

If they didn't care, then why would be saying that they want to sell Atlus and let them land safely instead of being included in the bankruptcy proceedings?

Did you not read duckroll's update? They are looking for a sponsor.

Vamphuntr

Seems like another shameful thread. Outside of some reasonable posts there is a sea of fanboy nonsense.

Just hoping the company that will buy Atlus will let them do what they want and don't interfere with their projects. Reading some of the reasonable posts seem to imply Gung Ho (which made a mint with Puzzle & Dragons) could be a good solution.

FluxWaveZ

If they didn't care, then why would be saying that they want to sell Atlus and let them land safely instead of being included in the bankruptcy proceedings?

Did you not read duckroll's update? They are looking for a sponsor.

Yes, they're looking for a partner or to straight up sell Atlus. The former would probably be what Index would prefer, but if it came to the latter I do not believe that their priorities wouldn't be to sell to the highest bidder.

I don't see how the fact that they will be involved in the proceedings contradicts that; they're the owners, after all.

Squire

Banned
Not relevant to Index' interests: Atlus continuing to make good games or games at all.

Like Flux says, they're going to the highest bidder.

wrowa

Yes, they're looking for a partner or to straight up sell Atlus. The former would probably be what Index would prefer, but if it came to the latter I do not believe that their priorities wouldn't be to sell to the highest bidder.

I don't see how the fact that they will be involved in the proceedings contradicts that; they're the owners, after all.

It's probably going to depend on what the creditors think is the preferable scenario. Atlus is not the kind of company that's worth $250 million, so if they straight up sell Index' gaming division they would definitely lose money. They might prefer a sponsor that continues the relatively successful gaming divison of Index while paying off some of the debt each year. However, considering that Atlus is not a big company they'd probably never be able to pay off all of the debt anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't see any of the big three buying atlus
Not worth it

It's worth it for ME

for the smile it will bring to MY face

come on, my smile is worth that, isn't it game industry? SEE BIG SMILE --> :D

oh god someone save Atlus, for the love of humanity :(

Soriku

In honesty though, if Sony did buy out Square when they had the chance, things would have developed very differently and Sony probably wouldn't have let the JRPG genre flounder and fester in the handheld ghetto like it did.

Publishers make handheld JRPGs because people like to play them on handhelds + they're cheap to make and JRPGs have gotten less popular with costs rising. SE alone wouldn't have changed that. Sony doesn't even do much with JRPGs these days.

Publishers make handheld JRPGs because people like to play them on handhelds + they're cheap to make and JRPGs have gotten less popular with costs rising. SE alone wouldn't have changed that. Sony doesn't even do much with JRPGs these days.

Sony doesn't do much with JRPGs because they don't have any studios to make them - basically all of Sony's exclusive RPGs were developed by third party studios, with the exception of Legend of Dragoon and some of the Arc the Lad games. If they owned Squaresoft, that would be a very, very different scenario. The PS3 also probably would've picked up speed a lot faster if Square hadn't been able to side with Microsoft for the first half of the generation like they did.

It's all hindsight, but the industry (and Playstation as a whole) would be very different today if Sony bought Square when they had the option to.

Soler

Banned
It's worth it for ME

for the smile it will bring to MY face

come on, my smile is worth that, isn't it game industry? SEE BIG SMILE --> :D

oh god someone save Atlus, for the love of humanity :(
I'm not saying they won't be bought out but def not by the big 3
Prob some Japanese pub I've never heard of
As long as I get p5 on vita I'm alright

Soriku

Sony doesn't do much with JRPGs because they don't have any studios to make them - basically all of Sony's exclusive RPGs were developed by third party studios, with the exception of Legend of Dragoon and some of the Arc the Lad games. If they owned Squaresoft, that would be a very, very different scenario. The PS3 also probably would've picked up speed a lot faster if Square hadn't been able to side with Microsoft for the first half of the generation like they did.

It's all hindsight, but the industry (and Playstation as a whole) would be very different today if Sony bought Square when they had the option to.

I'm sure they can negotiate to bring back some series. Dark Cloud 3 seems like something that'd be relatively easy to negotiate, and Level 5 said they wanted to make it, where is that?

I especially want them to bring back Wild Arms. The creator left Media.Vision but I'm sure they can still make a good game, and they're still active.

duckroll

This thread is getting really stupid. There will be a new thread when there's actually news to talk about instead of proxy console wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom