• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy confirms that Sega Dream Corporation has fully acquired Index (Atlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How... is that a negative? "Well, these games sold well on this platform... but only because of a fact about that platform that helps games sell better there!"
I know, right?

Oh no, it did super well on sales instead of full price. So does that mean games like Angry Birds aren't profitable?

yami4ct

I've had a lot of time to think about exactly -why- PSO2 isn't here yet. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is, as a free to play game, just how dependent the game is on players buying into its lottery systems to remain profitable. The online game situation in Japan is -very- different from the online game situation here, and try as I might, I just don't see the game's method of monetization (which is essentially counting on a rich minority of the player base dumping wads of cash every other week to pad their virtual closets) working out here nearly as well, and I think that's the big stumbling block that needs to be out of the way for this thing to happen.

I think the english patchers killed a lot of the incentive to bring the game over legitimately. A good chunk of the people who would play PSO2 are already playing and paying. The ones playing now are also more likely to be the big spenders, as they're already franchise fans. If the fans are already playing the game and paying you, what incentive is there to putting money into localizing it?

atomsk

Party Pooper
It's only been on sale for $5 once, according to enhanced steam.

it was in a five pack for $5 that first holiday sale after release when the game was still $20, so technically it was $1. Afterwards they said that was a bad move but I imagine it pushed a lot of units and word of mouth. I know that's when I bought it anyway.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Nope. PS2 has a strange architecture with a ton of code tailored specifically to it making it difficult to perfectly emulate. Look at how PCSX2 works on PC. It does its job, but it's nowhere near the level of acceptability for what most companies would put out. Most of these games need to be severely reworked to happen and that takes a ton of time and effort.

PS4, on the other hand, is specifically designed using a PC like architecture to make porting simple and cheap. It's not perfectly simple, some work has to be done, but it's leaps and bounds easier than porting a PS2 game.

If you had said PS3 games are more expensive to port to PC than PS2, then you'd be onto something. PS4 games? No.

Well PS4 isn't out yet and we haven't seen any ports so I'd be talking out of my ass if I said that. I think modern PCs could just muscle a PS2 game into submission. PCSX2 has always worked fine for me.

Do some of you not understand that Atlus was super close to not existing cause index mis-managed finances??

And that the only company that wanted to buy them was sega. Neither Square,Sony or Nintendo stepped up to buy/save them.

Eusis

It poisoned the well in Japan too. Instead of turning into a growing franchise with ongoing success, it basically resigned the series to its existing niche and was probably a big factor in why the series seems to be moribund. VC2 was just a bad choice, flat-out.
Yeah, even if the PSP looked great then the PS3 WAS a slow grower and ultimately a good platform for more niche series as Gust, Namco, and even Sega themselves proved. It was just horrifically shortsighted, at a minimum VC2 should've been marked as a side game instead, I do imagine that gives some leverage with marketing and the brand to go "yeah well that's just a side game while we prepare the next big installment!"

Though going by Skies of Arcadia I guess there was a good possibility of leaving it at JUST VC1 instead and calling it a day.
Do some of you not understand that Atlus was super close to not existing cause index mis-managed finances??

And that the only company that wanted to buy them was sega. Neither Square,Sony or Nintendo stepped up to buy/save them.
There's a very real possibility the difference will ultimately be the same if we don't know Japanese. And there WERE other potential buyers outside of the game industry itself, though there were decent odds they'd either be far superior for maintaining the status quo or far worse in having no damn idea how to handle a game company. Incidentally, in light of the potential external buyers we really should be grateful Sony/Nintendo may not have been interested anyway, Atlus is too evenly divided across the platforms for that to be a true victory.

Xater

I think the english patchers killed a lot of the incentive to bring the game over legitimately. A good chunk of the people who would play PSO2 are already playing and paying. The ones playing now are also more likely to be the big spenders, as they're already franchise fans. If the fans are already playing the game and paying you, what incentive is there to putting money into localizing it?

There are still lots of potential customers who would play it as long as they don#t have to jump through hoops.

synce

People think we'll still get Megaten games now? That dream is dead. I think they'll only keep making Persona, but after P5 the series will be a digital card game.

yami4ct

There are still lots of potential customers who would play it as long as they don#t have to jump through hoops.

How many of those customers are the big spending "whales" that keep these games profitable rather than just the people who play for free or occasionally buy 1 or 2 items? I'm not basing this on anything, but I suspect not very many. Most of the westerners who would spend that kind of cash have already jumped through those hoops.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know, right?

Oh no, it did super well on sales instead of full price. So does that mean games like Angry Birds aren't profitable?

It could make a more expensively produced game quite a bit more difficult to sell profitably, though. Because if you have a lavishly produced game you're trying to sell at $50, and you have to slash the price to $10 on Steam sales... you're gonna need a goddamn lot of quantity to make up for that kind of price cut. It could be to the point where the company just asks "why even bother?"

Not saying that's how it is, but it's a definite concern.

Sciz

Am I the only one who remembers Sega proclaiming, a year or two ago, that they were done with producing AAA games, and were now only making mobile and social games ?

They just bought a company that makes hardcore-as-shit games. It's like they don't know what the fuck they want.

You're the only one who remembers that because they never said that. What they did say was that they were refocusing their business on products and models that actually make money, which is exactly what Atlus does.

Xater

How many of those customers are the big spending "whales" that keep these games profitable rather than just the people who play for free or occasionally buy 1 or 2 items? I'm not basing this on anything, but I suspect not very many. Most of the westerners who would spend that kind of cash have already jumped through those hoops.

Clearly.

It could make a more expensively produced game quite a bit more difficult to sell profitably, though. Because if you have a lavishly produced game you're trying to sell at $50, and you have to slash the price to $10 on Steam sales... you're gonna need a goddamn lot of quantity to make up for that kind of price cut.
Well yeah, but I don't believe this would be the case with Atlus.
Hey look, one of those allowed me to play the game. I wonder which one didn't.
Aside from the language barrier, what's stopping you from playing PSO2 right now? Hell, aren't there menu patches and shit?

Well yeah, but I don't believe this would be the case with Atlus.

Aside from the language barrier, what's stopping you from playing PSO2 right now? Hell, aren't there menu patches and shit?

That's my exact point. Segas embarrassing handling of japanese properties means we'll have to go back to hoping for hacked versions of games with translations by fans down the line (way down the line if they're on consoles) or just going without.

Eusis

You're the only one who remembers that because they never said that. What they did say was that they were refocusing their business on products and models that actually make money, which is exactly what Atlus does.
Well, technically that WAS refocusing away from AAA, but in this case away =/= no more. More that... yeah, they'd focus on the AAA games that were really successful (more Sonic and Yakuza in Japan, less Binary Domain), and keep everything unproven smaller. Which incidentally could be REALLY good for Atlus output, as they make small-yet-reliable sellers, something that Sega seems to want a lot of right now. If anything a full on AAA charge would be worse, because it'd mean saddling Persona 5 with a grotesque budget that's unsuitable for it and either mangling or discarding everything else.

That's my exact point. Segas embarrassing handling of japanese properties means we'll have to go back to hoping for hacked versions of games with translations by fans down the line (way down the line if they're on consoles) or just going without.
But that's my point, we've had to do that with Atlus games for years now, how is that any different?

I love SEGA, but Atlus franchises following the same route of Yakuza or other nowadays japanese exclusive franchises really worries me.

Eusis

What, my copies of Nocturne/P3/P4/P3P/P4G and SMT4 are imaginary now?

EDIT: Not to mention Catherine, Dragons Crown and P4A.
May've been thinking about earlier ones like SMTI, II, and P2:IS PS1, but name a prominent Japanese company where at least one significant game of theirs from the 8-bit, 16-bit, or even 32-bit periods didn't need to be fantranslated.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
May've been thinking about earlier ones like SMTI, II, and P2:IS PS1, but name a prominent Japanese company where at least one significant game of theirs from the 8-bit, 16-bit, or even 32-bit periods didn't need to be fantranslated.

SNK?

Don't you dare try to play the Samsho RPG card, either.

yami4ct

Not to mention Soul Hackers' original release and the absolute atrocity that was Persona 1's initial localization. Every company has a few misses here and there. Sega just has had their problems a bit more recently.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this, to be honest I hope this is beneficial and maybe we see more localization of Japanese SEGA titles along with what Atlus produces.

I understand the concerns, but no matter who bought Index, Atlus/Atlus USA was going to see changes anyways according to whatever company desires. SEGA may have not been the most favorable, but they aren't the worst option.

I'm just going to wait and see what happens, I also hope this doesn't affect their employees too drastically.

on a dead system, even operation rainfall wasn't getting that many people checking for it last i saw

Oh come on Irish, you want us to support bring Yakuza 5 to the West and won't help us out with getting VC3 out here as well (it is also Vita compatible!), the artbook and PXZ appearance isn't enough! Help US BELIEVE too.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

What, my copies of Nocturne/P3/P4/P3P/P4G and SMT4 are imaginary now?

EDIT: Not to mention Catherine, Dragons Crown and P4A.

Why couldn't this deal have gone down on Monday? The podcast would have been amazing. :lol

Flarin

Via Nintendo Everything Atlus comments on the acquisition (mock if already posted):

Consumer software director Naoto Hiroaka passed along the following:

- After thanking the customers for their support, and apologizing for the concern caused, Hiroaka-san explains that Atlus has a very good relationship with Sega and a considerable business synergy. By using Sega’s solid distribution network he expects the company to expand further.

- This new relationship will allow the two companies to complement each other’s niche in the consumer game business, and Sega’s Know-how will enhance Atlus’ brand.

- The continuity of Atlus’ business is considered to be in very good shape.

-At the moment all the employees of the consumer game department of the company are focusing on the development of future titles, and Atlus is looking forward to tackle new challenges in the future.

Then I'm confused, because the phrase "dealing with that for years" doesn't really gel with the fact that it's been pretty fucking rosy for Atlus localizations since 2004, which is nearly a decade ago now. God I feel old.

I don't know if this is good or bad.

But given how awesome PSO2 is, it would be interesting to see Atlus titles on the PC. Give me a Trauma Center on the PC and I'm a happy camper.

Busaiku

Yeah, people keep ignoring that Atlus USA has actually put out a bunch of PC titles, or Western oriented titles out over the years.
Stuff like Game of Thrones, Sherlock Holmes, Zeno Clash, Trine, etc.

These game are very likely to see success under Sega's strategy, as it build upon what they've already been doing.

Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, the titles Atlus is more notable for, these titles don't really mesh with what Sega's been doing the last few years.

yami4ct

Via Nintendo Everything Atlus comments on the acquisition (mock if already posted):

Interesting. Statements like this.

- This new relationship will allow the two companies to complement each other’s niche in the consumer game business, and Sega’s Know-how will enhance Atlus’ brand.

Makes it sound like the best outcome for both sides. Atlus gets a stable partner, Sega gets someone who knows how to handle niche brands.

Interesting. Statements like this.

Makes it sound like the best outcome for both sides. Atlus gets a stable partner, Sega gets someone who knows how to handle niche brands.

Yeah, but of course he says that. What's he supposed to say in the interview, "shits the worst, SMT is dead"?

Setre

Welp, I’m depressed now. I want to be optimistic but if Sega are unwilling to translate their own shit what’s going to make them want to do it for Atlus games? Maybe if Atlus USA still stays open but I doubt that like others.

Edit: Although an Atlus made Valkyria Chronicles could be godly...

Yeah, but of course he says that. What's he supposed to say in the interview, "shits the worst, SMT is dead"?

What exactly do you want from them? If Sega didn't save Atlus, SMT really WOULD be dead. Is that what you wanted?

Sega saving the company gives the franchise more than a fighting chance, and the amount they paid for it shows they have confidence in how much value the brand has.

What exactly do you want from them? If Sega didn't save Atlus, SMT really WOULD be dead. Is that what you wanted?

Sega saving the company gives the franchise more than a fighting chance, and the amount they paid for it shows they have confidence in how much value the brand has.

Confirmation of future localization would be a nice start instead of a message aimed only at Japan.

Then I'm confused, because the phrase "dealing with that for years" doesn't really gel with the fact that it's been pretty fucking rosy for Atlus localizations since 2004, which is nearly a decade ago now. God I feel old.

Europe says wat

And of course they bought them to complement each other. That's the damn point. I expect very little meddling.

Confirmation of future localization would be a nice start instead of a message aimed only at Japan.

They're a Japanese company.

yami4ct

It show's a recognition from company management that both sides recognize Sega's flaws. Making any comment about complementing Sega's niche titles is good and unexpected if Sega really didn't care at all about these smaller games. Sure, the Atlus employee isn't going to tell you if the sky is falling, but he also didn't have to point out Sega's niche business either.

Mikhal

I'm not too sure about the acquisition; but for the west, I hope we get more of these:

924562_62989_front.jpg
918893_50040_front.jpg
589485_47234_front.jpg

than these:

500531a1_1706_ccfd.gif

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Really? I don't get this. Who would you rather have? The only better suggestion I've seen was GungHo, but that's not that much better. Konami, Namco, Square Enix, Zenimax or Deep Silver, to name a few, would all be as bad if not worse for Atlus.

What other options are there?

Square? Capcom? lol

LOL? Namco Bandai, SquareEnix, or Capcom WOULD have been better, IMO, to varying degrees. How's Sega going to localize Atlus' games when they can't even localize their own? At least those companies tend to localize their games. With Sega, if it doesn't say Sonic on the box or it isn't some crappy licensed game they just aren't interested. Where is Yakuza 5? Phantasy Star Online 2?

As far as "what's best for Atlus" is concerned....don't kid yourself. They are effectively dead now. The IPs will be absorbed by Sega who will farm them out and release them in the east where they will stay.

They could do that for Persona 4 Arena and the 3DS games?!

MYSTERY SOLVED *breaks magnifying glass*

Well, to be fair, importing Xenoblade EU into the US involved a similar amount of effort breaking the region lock. Or did it? I'm not sure what you have to do to break the Wii's region lock.

They could do that for Persona 4 Arena and the 3DS games?!

MYSTERY SOLVED *breaks magnifying glass*

I modded my PS2 back in the day and hacked my Wii. P4As region lock could be overcome with a ps3 3.55 firmware hack, couldn't it? Hasn't the region lock on the 3ds been hacked as well? Barring that, and it was clear they'd never be released, I'd grab foreign systems for cheap. So yeah, it's doable. Way more doable than learning an incredibly difficult language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom