• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie dev begs Xbox fans to buy his game and not to wait for GamePass

YtQmvvl.jpeg

damage control Jez 🤦🏻‍♂️

nikolino840

The game has done reasonably well on Steam.

He's now crying crocodile tears because he played himself and chose to only release it on the console that's notorious for people not purchasing games.

mom son GIF
You have the game? If not buy now the game please

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

BigLee74

Not only are Microsoft a cancerous company,they have now bred a generation of gamers who feel affronted to have to actually purchase a video game......yea.this is all really wonderful for the future of the medium.
Eh, no.

If a game is good enough, and not on GamePass, people will buy it if they really want it (source, me with lots of purchased games).

Write a good game that people will want, they will come.

The real issue is people with GamePass obviously won’t buy a game that is on GamePass or is known to be coming to GamePass. Additionally, there is so much content on Gamepass that it may stop some people from buying new games altogether - they just might not have the need!

rkofan87

Gold Member
Eh, no.

If a game is good enough, and not on GamePass, people will buy it if they really want it (source, me with lots of purchased games).

Write a good game that people will want, they will come.

The real issue is people with GamePass obviously won’t buy a game that is on GamePass or is known to be coming to GamePass. Additionally, there is so much content on Gamepass that it may stop some people from buying new games altogether - they just might not have the need!
gp for me is demo station if i like the game and its on ps5 i get on ps5.

RedC

Is this guy ,that some says that he fakes crying for marketing

The game is already out on steam but I have made the preorder of the deluxe edition just for this twit even if I don't care about the game 😂

Call it toxic masculinity all you want, but I'm glad I grew up in a hyper-masculine environment where I would never feel comfortable crying like a bitch in public or on a stream because we're about to release a video game on a platform that I dreamed of doing since I was a kid.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Outside of final fantasy games and anime where do you see this hairstyle exactly? Not a good response...

"Outside of the literally hundreds of thousands of hours of anime, where..."

cover3.jpg

There will eternally be more bad anime hair than that one haircut you're mad about

Darsxx82

ziJgAEo.png

So the moderator here is saying that putting the game on Game Pass would have ensured more sales.

Sounds fantastic. More indies should look into that. (y)
This moderator has not remembered the number of indi game creators who, thanks to agreements with Gamepass/other services, had the opportunity to launch their games that they would not otherwise be able to.

Or those who are now lamenting that MS, Epic and Sony are no longer taking out their checkbook to sign at the same level agreements.

Imagine thinking that Gamepass is to blame for the excessive competition in the Indi gaming market and that if subscription services did not exist, the reality of those Studios would be better 🙃🙃

FeralEcho

"Outside of the literally hundreds of thousands of hours of anime, where..."

cover3.jpg

There will eternally be more bad anime hair than that one haircut you're mad about
At least even bad anime hair is more diverse and interesting than this one lame ass female haircut they use in everything since,per your own words... There's more than one...as oposed to this pile of shit.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
More lies that you've been told but choose to believe.
ID@xbox
Little entry fee, makes any Xbox a dev kit. Plus it's well known that you could port just about any uwp app will run on Xbox and that's how alot of indie titles are ported quickly.

Last edited:

whyman

Just make a good semi-realistic WW2 shooter and I'll buy it. The problem isn't Game Pass, it's the games.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Didn’t Microsoft say they plan on scaling back how much money they’re paying out for games to appear on Game Pass?

If this developer was smart they’d get this game on Switch 2 for launch. There probably won’t be a very big pool of online shooters at launch, and this has a family friendly look.

I just have this gut level reaction to begging and people debasing themselves publicly like this in general. It's disgusting and makes me want to go full Medieval Lord and slap him with a leather glove while calling him a filthy peasant.

You made your bed, stop crying like a bitch. "As a little kid I dreamt..." jesus christ you're a man.

fallingdove

Didn’t Microsoft say they plan on scaling back how much money they’re paying out for games to appear on Game Pass?

If this developer was smart they’d get this game on Switch 2 for launch. There probably won’t be a very big pool of online shooters at launch, and this has a family friendly look.
Yikes. What a crushing idea that you and your 5 friends would have to invest several more months and thousands of hours to port your game to an already antiquated handheld for a shot at generating some sales.

I could never be a developer.

Kssio_Aug

Huh... If any dev, from a small or a big team, did videos crying on Twitter because of some nonsense or bad things people talk about their games, they would be recording pitiful videos their entire lives.

If your game is good, and people are interested in it, they will buy it. If they're not confident, they will wait, for a good reason, for it to come to GP one day, if ever.

Hades was part of GP one day. It's still successful though.

But I can see the guy is a big fan of generating drama.

Angry Family GIF by South Park

Last edited:

tmlDan

I feel like this game has been an ad for 5 years

It's got an interesting aesthetic but it looks too much like many other games that are overflowing the market right now...

Outside of final fantasy games and anime where do you see this hairstyle exactly? Not a good response...

Meanwhile,here's just a couple of examples of oversaturation of this cringe hairstyle for wamen in games and media.

FhfIhEL.jpeg
9HNgJoD.jpeg

The modern day woman in the eyes of western devs:

diverse,edgy,rebelious such stronk much wow...
This is odd because ive prob seen like one actual woman irl have that haircut in my entire life lol

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Additionally, there is so much content on Gamepass that it may stop some people from buying new games altogether - they just might not have the need!

I honestly believe this is what killing physical media for Movies and music also. If you've got an instant collection, why bother buying a disc? The huge shelves of DVD's in charity/thrift stores that they can't get rid of is a symptom.

GHG

Gold Member
ID@xbox
Little entry fee, makes any Xbox a dev kit. Plus it's well known that you could port just about any uwp app will run on Xbox and that's how alot of indie titles are ported quickly.

Yeh, about that...:

oE7EoUT.jpeg

Turning the console in to a devkit won't get you all the way there either since it lacks a lot of the functionality a devkit gives you. You might be able to get your game half way to being done, but for the rest you'll need an actual devkit.

It's been on Switch since 2020. Is there a reason they are not releasing on PlayStation if the game isn't Game Pass? Seems like a weird decision.

In the video he stated it's his "dream console", so that might have something to do with it.

But now he's awake.

Scared Fran Healy GIF by Travis

panda-zebra

Banned

These are just PR actions, trying to get noticed with whatever angle they think will have people make forum, reddit, twitter posts about their game and get more eyes on it.... and here we are.

Would not be surprised to find out they studied marketing at Uni rather than game design.

Why did he decide to bring the game to xbox without a gamepass deal then?
The Game Pass Slush Fund well ran dry. It probably seemed a safe enough bet when they decided to port it to xbox over a year ago, but now there's no deals to be had coupled with consumer confidence in buying within the ecosystem at an all time low thanks to recent and continued events and actions... so they're out to get noticed however they can and if that means begging people to buy this thing that doesn't seem beneath them.

He gets paid by Microsoft for putting his game into Game Pass. If he doesn't like that arrangement, he should stop agreeing to it and just sell his game standalone like most other developers. Game Pass is completely optional, you do not have to agree to let Microsoft launch it into Game Pass in order to publish your game on Xbox platforms.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yikes. What a crushing idea that you and your 5 friends would have to invest several more months and thousands of hours to port your game to an already antiquated handheld for a shot at generating some sales.

I could never be a developer.

Xbox is the last platform an indie should port to if they’re depending on sales.

Edmund

One of my best friends was getting upset with me the other night regarding game pass.

He and 4 of my other friends all bought Xbox's, now my best friend has always been pro Xbox so he convinced my 4 other friends to buy them too mainly because of game pass.

Now my other friend, who is also friends with my best friend, still only had a PS4 and decided he wanted to buy a PS5. So he saved his money for a few years and finally bought one.

So, since my friend who bought the PS5 only really plays multiplayer games, my Xbox friends starts being all sarcastic and saying "I don't know who told you to buy a PS5 when you could have gotten a Xbox and gamepass.", insinuating that I convinced him to buy the PS5 over an Xbox for spite or some dumbass reason.

Shit is ridiculous. I didn't really convince him at all. He convinced himself because he said he was already used to the PS4 UI and didn't really want to learn a new ecosystem.

And now that Xbox seems like they are going to lose more and more revenue due to gamepass. I don't think getting a PS5 is a poor choice at all.

By any chance your best friend's name is Colt Eastwood?

SHA

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Ah, the belief that hard work and quality will always be rewarded in life. Feeling like I’m 10 years old again.
But The hardest part is finishing the games, older games don't suggest gamers complete what they purchased, could we just not pretend those trends are all gone long time ago and devs should stop chasing them, instead focusing on real consumers who play what they purchased, cause I think we are way past making idiotic purchases.

Denton

The game is not for me, I have no nostalgia for action figures, but it does look great and if I was into the theme, I would be all over it. 91% positive reviews on steam too, so it is likely very good. People who are into this type of game should at least try it methinks.

Kssio_Aug

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Ah, the belief that hard work and quality will always be rewarded in life. Feeling like I’m 10 years old again.
Sure. He also needs marketing strategies, hence why he is acting like a drama queen on Twitter.

But I don't buy a game if it does not generate a decent amount of interest for me. It has little to do with Game Pass.

In fact, maybe I would only play his game if it gets to Game Pass just because it would feel comfortably easy to try it. Maybe then I would feel surprised and support it buying some cosmetic mtx if the game has any, or keep an eye on his future projects (or even buy his game when it's leaving GP).

wondermega

Game looks great and I appreciate the little touches in their animated trailer, that didn't look cheap. They should have leaned into the irony and made a timely (and exceedingly gory) Barbie level. Barbie X Doom, where do we get this..

This is probably beyond the scope of this thread, but it's just the first thing that jumped at me again....

CvY5CjH.jpeg

Can we STOP with this fucking hairstyle on female characters already??? I have never seen a woman in real life wear this hairstyle, and it's like the fucking default in so many damn games. It's like the female version of the bald space marine dudebro. It's hideous, and stupid looking. I may have used it for my female character in Fallout 3 cuz I thought it was funny, but that was 16 years ago.
mvZNWVL.gif

Gambit2483

The game has done reasonably well on Steam.

He's now crying crocodile tears because he played himself and chose to only release it on the console that's notorious for people not purchasing games.

mom son GIF
Huh? I have this game on Switch. But yeah, not sure why they chose Xbox instead of PS5.

It's already on Switch and looks and plays very well actually

Last edited:
It does have a demo.

It does have a campaign mode.

It has co-op.

It has bots. It has a online and offline mode.

Basically, it has everything plus more of what you asked:

Game is very nice graphically as well. I'm actually surprised the game isn't more popular. It needs more exposure I think.
Didn’t realize this game was already released on PC. Definitely checking out the demo.

Top Bottom