• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game developer Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on TwitchTV, not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respawn

Banned
You reap what you sow. She is quite lucky to be alive. Find God and trust in the Father and he will show you the way.

baphomet

No, I don't. But using them as objects to prop up your own views in an argument is quite gross, as well as unconvincing. Which is why the post you quoted was mocking the whole "friends" thing, and how "some of my best friends are [x] /but I have [x] friends" is almost always uttered as a joke in modern society.

And with that I'm done with this thread. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about and think that transgendered people should be hidden from sight and its not something to be celebrated. Because its the worst thing in the world that someone reported than a transgendered person was transgendered going from your posts.

Shouldn't we just be glad that Chloe didn't commit suicide and is alive?

Just forget everything else and look at the big picture here.

I disagree. She tried to scam people. She should be accountable for her actions and not something that should be just forgotten.

So I read the OP but it seems there is a lot more to this.

My Thoughts:

She is in a moment of crisis. You do not need to have any other psychiatric disorder to be a person in crisis though she is likely a depressed individual. I hope she gets help.

The indiegogo project has been taken down and I have not seen it. From what I understand the claims regarding why it would be life-saving were absolutely fraudulent.

Whether or not treatment for transexual individuals is life-saving or not is a very interesting subject. Providing resources and supporting legislature that would define these procedures as life-saving or necessary is something I'd probably support but the project itself was a scam as it existed.

I would agree that Allistair Pinsof "misgendered" her. The statement was an attempt to be cruel and if he is acting like journalist (which is the impression I get by all the "fact" talk, though he sounds much too close to the situation and probably should have refrained from any "reporting" at all) it had no place in the discussion though her being transexual does. It couldn't be more obvious that she wants to identify as exactly that. She.

There a worse reasons to scam, and she had extenuating circumstances, but wrong is wrong...

If someone threatened me with killing themself if I did / did not do something, first I would do all the possible to avoid it, but I can't express how angry and bad that would make me feel. I hope it never happens to me.

I hope she gets better and gets all the help she needs, you gotta ask yourself how shit is this modern society and "first world" with those suicide stats someone pointed.

He tried so hard to keep it a secret that it just overflowed within him to a point that he deliberately misgendered her on multiple occasions and made assumptions about the importance of SRS without being trans himself or having any medical credentials. Truly a tragedy.
In my opinion, What you're doing is misgendering, everyone else does the opposite (calling the person what ever sex they identify with) out of respect to the "persons" personal gender identity.

The moment you put your self in the public eye in a negative sense, especially if it involves asking for money from said public, every secret that's outed is on your own hands.

the media respected her secrecy (even though most people with a discerning eye could see it) and did not report on it, didn't make it an issue, the moment the person decided took the deceitful route, it was a wrap, kudo's to the Dtroid dude, the person did it to themselves.

Fistwell

So wait! Chloe said she needed the money for a live saving operation. This turns out not to be true and instead Chloe wants to have a sex change for the money. Im so confused, someone please explain this to me?
The only way to explain better would be to repeat what you said slowly, maybe a couple of times. Here. What happened is

Chloe said she needed the money for a live saving operation. This turns out not to be true and instead Chloe wants to have a sex change for the money.

Risette

A Good Citizen
And with that I'm done with this thread. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about and think that transgendered people should be hidden from sight and its not something to be celebrated. Because its the worst thing in the world that someone reported than a transgendered person was transgendered going from your posts.
Cool, putting words in my mouth.

A trans person should be hidden if that is their wish. It is not mine or anybody else's business to out them when they are personally uncomfortable with doing so for the sake of some "celebration" which they do not want to be a part of, for various possible reasons.

What you're doing is misgendering, everyone else does the opposite route out of respect to the "persons" personal gender identity.
Uh, what the fuck.

AH88

Banned
Because its an integral part of the story. Everyone gives games journalists shit for not reporting, and when they actually do you feel bad because they hurt the thiefs feelings. She put herself in this situation entirely. She has no one to blame but herself.

I agree 100%.
Hopefully Chloe can get the help they need now, because clearly Chloe's got some mental problems, but they have only themselves to blame for all of this.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow, that's fucked up... Forgetting about the fact that there are actually people out there who need money to battle legitimately fatal medical conditions: Isn't this a crime? Fraud?

It's not really personal gain. Gender Dysphoria is a real condition that can often lead to lifelong depression and/or suicide. Particularly if the individual in question has other issues too.

Not fatal in the same sense as cancer, but it's certainly not like they intended to blow it all on iPods and Xboxs.

Well, Sophia has put it better than me, but does a "legitimately fatal" condition have to just be a physical one? Considering that the effect of of this case has resulted in an attempted suicide, is this not evidence that the lack of assistance here has at least contributed to this outcome?

I'm honestly in two minds over this, because yes, without this operation she won't be in any danger to her life physically, but then on a psychological level, is her quality of life impacted to the point that physical well being is irrelevant? As stated before, I don't have anywhere near enough perspective to understand how Chloe must be feeling, but I can be certain that her head, this IS life and death.

So wait! Chloe said she needed the money for a live saving operation. This turns out not to be true and instead Chloe wants to have a sex change for the money. Im so confused, someone please explain this to me?

Well.. I realize it isn't the same thing but... clearly this sex change operation is life saving if she is willing to commit suicide over it should it not happen...

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, Sophia has put it better than me, but does a "legitimately fatal" condition have to just be a physical one? Considering that the effect of of this case has resulted in an attempted suicide, is this not evidence that the lack of assistance here has at least contributed to this outcome?

I'm honestly in two minds over this, because yes, without this operation she won't be in any danger to her life physically, but then on a psychological level, is her quality of life impacted to the point that physical well being is irrelevant? As stated before, I don't have anywhere near enough perspective to understand how Chloe must be feeling, but I can be certain that her head, this IS life and death.
You are correct, which is why:
The AMA, APA and many, many other organisations take the view that gender surgery is a life saving operation.

What you're doing is misgendering, everyone else does the opposite route out of respect to the "persons" personal gender identity.

The moment you put your self in the public eye in a negative sense, especially if it involves asking for money from said public, every secret that's outed is on your own hands.

the media respected her secrecy (even though most people with a discerning eye could see it) and did not report on it, didn't make it an issue, the moment the person decided took the deceitful route, it was a wrap, kudo's to the Dtroid dude, the person did it to themselves.

So doing something wrong automatically makes it ok for people to misgender you? Good to know.

Obviously what she did was wrong, but that doesn't give the destructoid guy permission to play russian roulette with pronouns.

I hope she gets the surgery she needs and gets in a better mental place in general.

Rubius

Shouldn't we just be glad that Chloe didn't commit suicide and is alive?Just forget everything else and look at the big picture here.

I might be the cruel sociopathic guy, but I dont really care if she's alive or not. I really do not. She is scamming people, she is lying, she is using death threat to stop people from saying its a scam, and then go out on a show suicide with the least potent way to kill herself.
I really do not care for her. I do hope she get better and become a beneficial member of the society, but if she died, I would not have cared. I do not know her, and she is not important for the survival of the human race. If anything, she tried to scam which would set back people.
Forgiving people who use suicide attempt as a way to redeemed themselves is bad. I knew a girl who "tried" to kill herself every single week. And worst, she refused all help we tried to give her. She didnt want to die, but she was using it to have leverage over people and get money or car rides.

The bigger picture is that people should study kickstarters/indiegogo stuff and assure that its not a scam, like asking for proof over the injuries and stuff like that.

AH88

Banned
The AMA, APA and many, many other organisations take the view that gender surgery is a life saving operation.

Wait, what?

3cd8a33a.png

Sophia

I might be the cruel sociopathic guy, but I dont really care if she's alive or not. I really do not. She is scamming people, she is lying, she is using death threat to stop people from saying its a scam, and then go out on a show suicide with the least potent way to kill herself.
I really do not care for her. I do hope she get better and become a beneficial member of the society, but if she died, I would not have cared. I do not know her, and she is not important for the survival of the human race. If anything, she tried to scam which would set back people.
Forgiving people who use suicide attempt as a way to redeemed themselves is bad. I knew a girl who "tried" to kill herself every single week. And worst, she refused all help we tried to give her. She didnt want to die, but she was using it to have leverage over people and get money or car rides.

The bigger picture is that people should study kickstarters/indiegogo stuff and assure that its not a scam, like asking for proof over the injuries and stuff like that.

That's cruel man. Real cruel. :\

Cool, putting words in my mouth.

A trans person should be hidden if that is their wish. It is not mine or anybody else's business to out them when they are personally uncomfortable with doing so for the sake of some "celebration" which they do not want to be a part of, for various possible reasons.

Uh, what the fuck.

yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree then, i won't be disrespectful and straight call someone who is transgendered the sex they no longer (or never) identify with, because i understand the psychological ramifications of that. I compromise by referring to them without regard to a sex.

Shouldn't we just be glad that Chloe didn't commit suicide and is alive?

Just forget everything else and look at the big picture here.

She needs help, for sure. I imagine things must have been difficult for her to set this whole thing up. It was stupid for sure but I think she was desperate.

lexi

Banned
yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree then, i won't be disrespectful and straight call someone who is transgendered the sex they no longer (or never) identify with, because i understand the psychological ramifications of that. I compromise by referring to them without regard to a sex.

Great compromise, Ghandi.

LegoArmo

I'm not sure if you're in such a mental state to attempt to kill yourself, that an operation will just make everything all better. I wouldn't know though, I guess no one but her knows.

Omikaru

Wait, what?

3cd8a33a.png

As a straight white male, it's a head-scratcher for me too, but I'm not in a position to understand how a transgender person feels, and never will be. What I do know is those organisations don't have some sort of agenda to subvert society in some way or ruin something for the rest of us, and only care for the mental and physical wellbeing of the trans people they also work for (alongside all the others), so I'm prepared to go with what they say on this one. What with them being experts, and all...

whyman

Yes I both agree and understand that after reading some more. So sad people feel forced to lie just because people wont accept who you are. I hope someone starts a fund or something for her. Just be 100% honest. I would still, after all of this, donate.

Rubius

That's cruel man. Real cruel. :\

But that's the sad truth. I worked with too many people who try to gain sympathy of people by lying or doing stuff like that and then saying "Can I get 20$ please, I'm sick".
We are 7 billion of human on earth. If we were in a 100 human survival group and she did that, maybe I would forgive her and just be sure she do not stuff like that anymore.
But currently? Nope. No pity at all.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING

That's right, the bigger picture isn't the life of this young woman. It's not making sure she gets the help she needs - medical or otherwise. It's not a Destructoid writer outing a woman as trans against her will hours after a suicide attempt, then acting like he was doing "journalism." It's not about the systemic and unrelenting abuse the internet is capable of heaping on people who may already be quite fragile. It's not about a gaming culture wide lack of empathy that you're so keen to exhibit.

It's to make sure you don't give $5 to charity or Kickstarters without thorough documentation because they might use that money in ways you don't want! And none of us want to see that happen! That fiver coulda bought us some Horse Armor DLC!

Sophia

But that's the sad truth. I worked with too many people who try to gain sympathy of people by lying or doing stuff like that and then saying "Can I get 20$ please, I'm sick".
We are 7 billion of human on earth. If we were in a 100 human survival group and she did that, maybe I would forgive her and just be sure she do not stuff like that anymore.

It's not the sad truth at all. Far from it. Perhaps you should take a step back and realize what you just said.

Great compromise, Ghandi.

Try to understand, like I have, that you live on a world with a lot of different kinds of people, with different belief systems and religions, I could go hardcore with my beliefs and say "#$@% their issues, they are what they are", but I understand its not that simple, if I refer to them at all, I'm no going to deny my beliefs by saying something that I know isn't true, so if I can say something that is in its place, I think that is a fair compromise.

Omikaru

I don't see it as the "sad truth". Quite frankly I think it's a really horrible thing to say.

All life is valuable.

Can you please leave the thread if this is going to be your only contribution to it?

I think that is a fair compromise.

It's not a compromise if you continue to cuddle up to your unchanging ideas of what gender is. You can think whatever you want to think about trans people but if I join a community and expect everyone to refer to me as "Gentleman Jack" then you telling me you'd rather call me "Jergerber Mumblebluss" because your holy book says so we're going to have a problem; you haven't approached anything resembling a compromise.

Calvarok

Banned
Really glad she's still alive. Comparing the posts she was making to the way I felt when I wanted to kill myself, she was in a bad way, and she was definitely capable of doing it.

Anyone focusing on anything else comes off as a bit heartless, IMO.

I don't think there's much more I can contribute to this conversation, but how would anyone be able to live with themselves after a failed suicide attempt? I can't imagine a much darker place than that. Hope she's able and willing to get help for all of her problems.

That's...a pretty terrible outlook, dude. Having more people doesn't diminish the value of a person's life.

LegoArmo

There's millions of people suffering all over the world, and there's organisations out there to help them, I guess we can argue over how effective they are, but I don't think each person can have their own personal fundraiser. No one is more deserving than others.

Acerac

Banned
I can agree that she went about this in a grimy way but... damn guys. I'm pretty sure I'd not be able to handle being trans myself considering the respect the community seems to get.

Rubius

That's right, the bigger picture isn't the life of this young woman. It's not making sure she gets the help she needs - medical or otherwise. It's not a Destructoid writer outing a woman as trans against her will hours after a suicide attempt, then acting like he was doing "journalism." It's not about the systemic and unrelenting abuse the internet is capable of heaping on people who may already be quite fragile. It's not about a gaming culture wide lack of empathy that you're so keen to exhibit.

It's to make sure you don't give $5 to charity or Kickstarters without thorough documentation because they might use that money in ways you don't want! And none of us want to see that happen! That fiver coulda bought us some Horse Armor DLC!

If she did a kickstarter to finance her operation and/or relocalisation in a more accepting place, I would have helped her, as I have gay family members who lived a similar problem. But her life is just not something I care about. Am I the crazy one here? Do you guys really care about every single death that occur in the world? You feel sad for the 154 889 death every day? I dont. Death is a part of life. I'm not happy for it, but I do not care.
"Dying is not painful, living is"

Spongebob

Banned
Really glad she's still alive. Comparing the posts she was making to the way I felt when I wanted to kill myself, she was in a bad way, and she was definitely capable of doing it.

Anyone focusing on anything else comes off as a bit heartless, IMO.
I think it's heartless to forget about the people she attempted to scam thousands out of.

Ninhead

I guess I don't get it. "Don't tell why I'm a fraud or I'll kill myself" (because her being trans is essential to why she was fraudulently presenting her cause) is an acceptable reason to let someone else get besmirched (which is what she was doing to IndieGoGo), but "If you break up with me, I'll kill myself" is clearly dismissable crazy person talk.

I'm glad she's not dead. Maybe she can get counseling for her mental issues, and go about getting the surgery the proper way. Otherwise, I say the less attention she gets from here on out, the better.

AkuMifune

Banned
Try to understand, like I have, that you live on a world with a lot of different kinds of people, with different belief systems and religions, I could go hardcore with my beliefs and say "#$@% their issues, they are what they are", but I understand its not that simple, if I refer to them at all, I'm no going to deny my beliefs by saying something that I know isn't true, so if I can say something that is in its place, I think that is a fair compromise.

There are beliefs and there are truths. Don't insult people by attempting to summarize your own inadequacies as the latter, when they are really simple versions of the former.

lexi

Banned
I can agree that she went about this in a grimy way but... damn guys. I'm pretty sure I'd not be able to handle being trans myself considering the respect the community seems to get.

Haven't you seen the lengths people are going to tolerate trans people? We got some straight up Mother Theresa's in this thread. One guy even agreed to use neutral pronouns!

So much for being tolerant of other viewpoints, eh?

I don't think you know what being tolerant means. I'm not forcing anybody to be sympathetic to Chloe's situation but if you're not willing to have a conversation about it (e.g. repeat the same thing 3 times while shrugging your shoulders underneath a pretense of 'cold hard facts, deal with it') then I fail to see how you're constructively adding to the discussion. After a certain number of repetitions it becomes pure flamebait.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
So much for being tolerant of other viewpoints, eh?

I'm not sure posting "I have no sympathy for someone who just tried to kill themselves" over and over and over is a viewpoint worth tolerating?

Like, there's not even the attempt at discourse in those posts, just a giant dick-waving competition they're having by themself to prove just how much they don't care about another human being's life. Every post they've made on this page has been literally trying to insist that her life doesn't matter.

I think it's heartless to forget about the people she attempted to scam thousands out of.

I haven't seen anyone saying it's okay to scam people, but as for the question of who gets more of my sympathy right now it's the girl in the hospital over the people who attempted to chip in a few bucks on false pretenses but got their money back and are completely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom