• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Control Panel settings where you have NVIDIA set the colors instead of letting the program take over. Not only do other programs forcibly take over (dual monitor setup here too) and switch the colors back (sometimes even in windowed fullscreen) in fullscreen, when I shutdown the computer and restart, they're back to original settings.

Huh, I've never had that problem. I'm still back on 337.88, though, so maybe they broke something.

To be clear, I use a 2 monitor setup as well (with my TV being an occasional 3rd monitor) so I'm not sure why it would work here and not there.

PCs are tough.
And confusing.

DocSeuss

Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-7.51.33-PM.png

Three main things:

1: digitigrade extends further back
2: shape of coiling at top is different due to number of articulations
3: plantigrade knee sticks up higher out front to make more room for lower leg to pull through

Thank you.

philion

Neo Member
MENACE.gif

Hello GAF, my first time post. This is my first game I'm working on as a poor indie. Love everyones work too, very inspiring.

philion

Neo Member
anthn/

Glad you like the gif. No landing or other details yet as I'm still trying to find myself with this game.

I think I know what I'm going for but nothing really solid yet. But so far I've got fps/survival multiplayer with a loose story attached to it.

Basically you are apart of a space station that has been mainly evacuated and the remaining crew get hit by an asteroid field. In the stations last line of defense it detaches all of it's rooms to help increase it's survival of whatever crew is onboard.

You can either be involved in trying to navigate and attach the rooms back up to restore the original order or just dick about and kill everyone. All of this before the next asteroid field comes to wipe you out. So you have a mix of protectors and destroyers.

I haven't thought of a name yet as I have too many still; currently it's just carrying the name "Project: Menace", probably leave the name til I get closer to nailing some actual gameplay mechanics.

It's a start anyway :S

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
MENACE.gif

Hello GAF, my first time post. This is my first game I'm working on as a poor indie. Love everyones work too, very inspiring.

Oh man, I am getting a really good vibe from this footage. I love all the animations you've added to make the environment active. The limited color palette really makes things stand out as well.

Good luck with the project!

MENACE.gif

This looks fantastic my friend. Very smooth. Is this with Unity? Also, is there a post-processing effect going on with the camera, like a scanline/static effect? Love it.

backstep

Neo Member
I noticed you mentioned IDA (IDA Pro?). I know very little about it. Do you have anything you are allowed to share with unfamiliar people? It appears to be a general multiprocessor disassembler/debugger/environment...typically used for embedded systems stuff? Console game programming? All of the above?

I used IDA freeware version, and I'm afraid I don't have much to share about it. It's the only disassembler I've heard of, and it was my first time using it. I'm very far from some assembly code guru. All I really knew was I could use it to read the import table (in IDA's names window) from the game dll and then see where in the dll those imported GL functions were used. I'm really not sure about it's other capabilities, it seems pretty useful though!

Damn awesome job backstep, I am sure you earned yourself a mention in the credits of Ghost Song xD..

Thanks. :)

Although it's amusing to be jokingly proclaimed a wizard on here, i'm not an industry pro or anything close to that, just an amateur working on my own little game. Most of what I know came from making so many mistakes.

Also, that gif in the post above looks great!

ZServ

Hey guys, I've been working on a project in RPG Maker. Is it cool if I share stuff here or am I looked down upon as a plebian?

Hey guys, I've been working on a project in RPG Maker. Is it cool if I share stuff here or am I looked down upon as a plebian?

Go back to the previous page where I was talking about how engines like RPG Maker and (to a lesser extent) Game Maker are often seen as "novice tools" by some yet power some of the best indie games ever made. RPG Maker is a fine engine to start out on.

razu

unles your demo is DAMN GOOD, I generally would be cautious about demos. It may not ultimately matter much, but if your goal is to sell people on your game, I think you can very easily do more damage than good.

Last year during the Legend of Iya kickstarter campaign -- we had a game that looked terrific in video, and then he released a demo that was clearly very unfinished (which is fine, because that's what happens when you make a game, it's very unfinished for a while) but its lack of sound effects, poor controls, some bugs, unfinished art, etc. Damaged the mystique of the game.

His campaign funded and who knows if it ultimately hurt or help him, but in my eyes it felt like he'd have been better off not doing it.

(Around the corner, with some trepidation, I'll be releasing my own demo to backers who backed for it. I'm doing it because I said I'd do it, but if my game weren't a KS game I'd probably not do this)

I'd say it depends on the game type. If the main draw is actually playing it, like Chopper Mike was, then a demo is a bad move - you're giving away the good stuff. If the game is more an 'experience', with lots of content, then it could works out if it hints at what wonders await if you buy the game.

Either way, the core game must be finished in order to let real people play it. A half-finished UI, or crash bugs, etc, will only put people off. They will not care that it's not finished, and will assume the final game, and perhaps every game you ever go on to make, will be buggy!

So yeah, careful with the demos! :D

Rubikant

I've played some amazing games from RPG Maker!

If you can get the game idea you envision to work the way you want, who cares what tool you used to make it? That's a dumb thing to judge a game's value by.

EDIT: Man, now I'm trying to remember the name of this amazing indie RPG from RPG Maker that had me glued to the screen for the whole thing because it had such a compelling story to me (though its mechanics weren't particularly amazing)...it was years ago though, I'd forgotten about it until just now... damn, I don't have anything to go on, something about following "the Path" or "the Way" being an important theme. That's all I can recall.

EDIT2: LOL I think it was called "The Way", haha, silly me.

kiguel182

Does anybody here work with Google Play Services?

On my implementation when the game is offline it tries to sign in (and fails obviously) but on other apps it seems to save those login details even when it's offline. Any idea how to do this?

He doesn't ask to sign in every time, just tries to connect and fails. It seems to work differently with other games.

domino99

Neo Member
Does anybody here work with Google Play Services?

On my implementation when the game is offline it tries to sign in (and fails obviously) but on other apps it seems to save those login details even when it's offline. Any idea how to do this?

He doesn't ask to sign in every time, just tries to connect and fails. It seems to work differently with other games.

Just save all the information you need from a sucesfull login in a file. Later if the player has no internet connection, then ask the file you saved for the information you need. What are you using? the android SDK?

kiguel182

Just save all the information you need from a sucesfull login in a file. Later if the player has no internet connection, then ask the file you saved for the information you need. What are you using? the android SDK?

Yes, I can see how that would work but I have no idea how to save that info.

I forgot to say I'm using Unity with the Google Play Services plugin from Google.

Thanks for the help!

Ashodin

6WcaveT.gif

Evening setting for the second Stage of Badgreens. Transitions to the night levels you've seen me post when you get to Stage 1-3.

Edit: I changed to a darker set of tiles because the colors were clashing so much. This way it looks like the entire landscape is getting darker because of oncoming night.

Experimenting with a neat new puzzle as well, should be lots of fun if I can hook it up, haha

EDIT: got it!

oPPCAzf.gif

Jobbs

Banned
^ I think in general -- just my 2 cents -- it's important to balance bold and bright assaulting colors against darker colors, and in some cases we see too many bold and bright colors without enough things to balance it out. In the case of the green terrain, I'd probbaly use a different color, but if you don't want to do that, how about a dark outline around it? like even a single pixel of outline.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
okay, it's been changed to vec2. if anyone is around for whom the tests were crashing, give it a shot please. www.ghostsonggame.com/jscreens/newdantest.rar (feel free to reply it here, but if it's already been addressed by a few replies then either pass or PM me, I don't want to clutter the whole thread with my test again)

thanks guys.

It crashes for me on start up.

- CPU: Intel Core I7 4800MQ 2.7 GHz (Max Turbo 3.7GHz)
- GPU: GeForce GTX880M
- 16 GB Ram DDR3L 1600MHz
- Windows 8.1 64 bit

Ashodin

^ I think in general -- just my 2 cents -- it's important to balance bold and bright assaulting colors against darker colors, and in some cases we see too many bold and bright colors without enough things to balance it out. In the case of the green terrain, I'd probbaly use a different color, but if you don't want to do that, how about a dark outline around it? like even a single pixel of outline.

I hear what you're saying. How about this?

1Z7Omh7.gif

Raonak

Banned
You know what does Pokémon needs? a mmorpg. I tried several times to make one but it's a huge project for someone alone :p

Best to avoid thoes tbh, they're a boatload of work, and nintendo has a habbit of shutting down any which gets good progress.

Ashodin

I also like the fact that it meshes with the idea that the world is growing dark - it gets darker the farther away from the sun it is as it's going down, so it makes sense.

So for my game, I want to get the "feel" down first before anything else. How the timing of jumps work, the gravity, the timing of bumping off of enemies heads, how much friction there is when running and stopping, etc. IIRC it was Miyamoto who said that what determines if a game is fun is if it is fun controlling the character, and that is a motto I want to hold on to.

Was Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden made with RPG Maker?

Because God I love that game.

Originally developed on RPG Maker 2003 but ported to Game Maker sometime during development.

Jobbs

Banned
I hear what you're saying. How about this?

1Z7Omh7.gif

This is an improvement.

I hope you don't mind my doing this, but I took the liberty of making some quick color tweaks that I personally think improve the overall picture -- again, just my 2 cents -- but I think color balance and contrast are key things to keep an eye on, especially if you don't have outlines around most of your terrain.

I do this just to illustrate my point and maybe give some ideas, you obviously aren't expected to adopt my color scheme.

colorse.png

For those who have applied to Sony, Microsoft, and or Nintendo How long did it take them to respond?

Both Nintendo and Sony were extremely fast for me. However I've also read lots of people saying it took them longer/like a month, so I think I just lucked out and registered during a non busy period.

Jobbs

Banned
You really just don't like the green haha

it's not that I don't like a specific color, it's that in at least some of your shots, in my opinion, the colors mush together a bit. I am not a color expert by any means, but I do spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom