• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
one of our displays must be wrong, because there's no total black at all in the image I doctored. It's just a bit darker green. The tree is the only thing that is black or close to black, and it's far different from the green.

bkw

colorse.png
Liking this a bit more. I do agree that the foreground might look better darker. Maybe swing it further to blue for the whole complementary colours thing. Or towards brown? Or maybe that super dark tree is throwing things off.

I hear what you're saying. How about this?
1Z7Omh7.gif
If you like the ground this colour, maybe the mid ground needs to be push lighter?

Just throwing out ideas.

backstep

Neo Member
If you're looking to help players intuit the difference between foreground and background in a regular landscape, it might be worth looking up a term called aerial perspective.

Like people are suggesting, if you make the background lighter/bluer/desaturated it tends to naturally register as being further away.

Edit: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ is a great site for adjusting your screen's black levels and roughly calibrating the gamma.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
QaGJCC5.gif

The swirl has you!

This will be the vehicle by which the hero progresses to the next level in my game. Doors are too ordinary, hooray for nauseating swirling portals!

Edit: The more i thought about it, the more I absolutely hated my portal. Here's my updated version.

Owio7XC.gif

cebri.one

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this but a friend of mine has just released his very first android game and he is looking for some feedback ;D. The game is called "Frank in a HOLE" and it's a simple platformer developed on Unity. One of the main features of the game is the control layout which is a bit diferrent from what is usually used in most mobile games.

Here are some animated gifs.

http://share.gifyoutube.com/A35GP6.gif
http://share.gifyoutube.com/ZR2KgK.gif
http://share.gifyoutube.com/agrmeB.gif

Here is a video of the control layout he has implemented in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JR79nyJTk

The game is already available at the Android Store (free of course ;D)
QRCODE

You can change the language of the game from the settings button.

Any advice/feedback is very much welcomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqsieqr_iZA

New trailer, playing on a tablet.

I hear what you're saying. How about this?

1Z7Omh7.gif

maybe you can add a border around the floor, for many people it will be hard to distinguish the green floor against the background, and vision impaired people will not have any clue at all. Adding shade or double border will help a lot or you can add a dark green on the border so you can see an outline of the floor, but that is just my 2c.

I am having some troubles too to define floor and characters since in my game is top down view and I use random generated floor tiles so some combinations of colors make it horrible hard to distinguish, I may have to create some palettes to avoid that

kiguel182

Just save all the information you need from a sucesfull login in a file. Later if the player has no internet connection, then ask the file you saved for the information you need. What are you using? the android SDK?

Apparently I solved the issue by signing out of Google Play Services if I can't authenticate.

After doing that if I open the app while offline I get no error message and I still can access the leaderboards (or an offline version of them). I also submit the highscore I have every time I can log in so if you make a new highscore while offline it gets updated.

I have no idea why this solved my issue but it apparently did so it's best not to over think it.

dhJacqF.png

Doesn't look like much, but having actual enemies chase the player down and something like an intro feels so rewarding.

I just really need to get away from so many placeholders lol.

As I've said in this thread I have been using Game Maker lately. I previously have had very little to no experience in making games. I've been watching tutorials and messing around a bit but this is what I have so far. The file is an executable file so anybody can play it. It's obviously unfinished, there is no effort in level design, there is a problem with jump clipping, and etc. So far it's basically a test chamber of me learning how to use the engine. Personally though I'm proud that over the course of a few days I have learned enough about Game Maker that I can now make some sort of game if I wanted to.

Pehesse

Crossposting from the screenshot saturday thread!

AncientMarvelousArctichare.gif

Almost done with the animation reworks/additions planned for Honey, only four more to go... for now.
As for the rest, plenty of stuff in the background: style point management, collision boxes displacement on hit/collision, a rework of Honey's attack manager and Little Sun's AI, and some groundwork for some visual effects stuff... A bit disheartening when after all that, it still looks *mostly* the same, but it should hopefully feel a lot better to play when all is said and done.

As I've said in this thread I have been using Game Maker lately. I previously have had very little to no experience in making games. I've been watching tutorials and messing around a bit but this is what I have so far. The file is an executable file so anybody can play it. It's obviously unfinished, there is no effort in level design, there is a problem with jump clipping, and etc. So far it's basically a test chamber of me learning how to use the engine. Personally though I'm proud that over the course of a few days I have learned enough about Game Maker that I can now make some sort of game if I wanted to.

In a nutshell the clipping is mostly due to gamemaker's horrid default collision detection. I ended up overhauling the whole thing for my game because I wanted something pixel perfect.

The default collision is great for RPG's/Adventure/Shooters but not for platformers that need precise movement.

However gamemaker does help in easing the process in so you can then understand and work towards more complex things, like said collision detection.

RhysD85

So I watched a talk one of the guys that made Little Inferno made about mistakes they made during the development of their game, and realised that my game had a pretty similar setup (single screen environment that the player spent 80% of the game looking at.) They mentioned that they tried to overcome this problem by adding slight changes to the environment as the game progressed (the fireplace gained curtains at one point, then the curtains burn up later on). After realising my game would probably suffer the same problem, I brainstormed and came up with some ways I could spruice up the attic environment as the game progressed.

Here's a WebM of the attic in its "final" state, i.e. after all the background additions have been added.

http://a.pomf.se/hgnbmq.webm

And here's a shot of the attic without all the stuff visible.

AlphaSS_10.png

Now I'm just worried that it's too much :(

devo1989

Crossposting from the screenshot saturday thread!

AncientMarvelousArctichare.gif

Almost done with the animation reworks/additions planned for Honey, only four more to go... for now.
As for the rest, plenty of stuff in the background: style point management, collision boxes displacement on hit/collision, a rework of Honey's attack manager and Little Sun's AI, and some groundwork for some visual effects stuff... A bit disheartening when after all that, it still looks *mostly* the same, but it should hopefully feel a lot better to play when all is said and done.

This is rad. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of game are you making? What engine are you using?

We are making a combat platformer for PC and SHMUP for mobile.

That's really dumb IMO. Egos need to be left at the door when you game dev.

Indeed. It's one thing to be proud of the work you do, it's another to get a big head about it and start dictating what happens in development and holding the code hostage.

Just read up on this, and it seems like a real pain, but I'd say you've done the right thing. It's okay when someone actively participates in the game's development, but only as long as that participation doesn't turn into trying to steal the spotlight from other team members, or trying to downright monopolize the game's development pipeline, clogging it up on purpose whenever their demands aren't being fullfilled.

For Quark Storm, the two guys who offered to help are new to game development, so I guess they don't feel like they're good enough to make big suggestions to me or something. Still, their feedback was invaluable for settling on the mechanics and gameplay elements that we'd be using, and the brainstroming session we had ended up helping us come up with an easily identifiable aesthetic for the enemies and things under their influence (for example, in the level select screen).

Even if they got kind of busy with other stuff shortly afterwards they had joined the team, their presence actually helped speed up the game's development considerably by offering more points of view for discussion and making suggestions.

...Which reminds me that I'm slowly accustoming to Japan's timezone, so I should probably get back to actually working on the game! TGS starts in a week, so I guess I'll have enough time to make a fun little demo.

Also, having a week before TGS means I'll probably barely have enough time to make the actual levels, so would any IndieGAFfers be willing to help me playtest them a bit? If anyone's up to it, just let me know by PM so I can send you the runnables as I build them (iOS won't be supported yet, since so far I've only been able to install directly from XCode into a device rather than compiling an apk I can send and install manually on any number of devices like with Android).

I concur. I find everyone's opinion valuable more than they think it can be but when it comes time for discussion on X mechanic or Y system, "too bad" is not something any of us should come across from another team member. Either play with everyone or you can see yourself out the door!

Are you looking to replace him?

EDIT- I looked up Absinthe Games and conveniently found that you guys are located in Chicago, and so am I. I PM-ed you my email.

Thanks, naumov!

Very good idea. A programmer with an ego can seriously kill a project, the Sonic 2 HD fan-project was monopolized by a single, egotistical programmer who, on top of writing a surprisingly inefficient engine, monopolized it, used it to force decisions on the rest of the team, and even wrote in a DRM system and a poorly-written input scheme which caused a virus scare, causing the team to fire the guy when all the bad press occurred and cancel the project outright, and the programmer earned nothing but the scorn of the entire Sonic community. Sonic 2 HD has restarted recently, but with a different team.

WOW. Is this the same programmer that was working with me? LOL. The whole DRM thing is crazy similar. I don't want DRM, period, for various reasons. I've never been a fan - but our programmer wrote a complete DRM always-on authenticated client when I wasn't looking and merged the fork on me one day and BAM - got this vitriolic email from him. I'd gladly link everyone the email but I'll give a hint: you can find it in a subdomain on absinthegames.com that shows eveyone.how not to game dev

--

I can't begin to thank you guys enough for your support. Feels good to be a part of IndieGAF :)

The funny thing is, while he is a jackass and acted like one, he is still a good programmer. He doesn't view me as such since I'm always looking for the simplest solution to the problems we create ourselves. He generally likes to over complicate things and over engineer. It's fancy and I was OK with most of it but I feel he did most of that to make the code unreadable in case we booted him. Which is my guess why he started acting the way he did. He does not think I'm capable. I'm not the best programmer but my logic consists of getting the exact end result I am looking for without compromise the easiest and cleanest way possible. If that means exploiting built-in Unity systems, then by all means its there for me to take advantage of. If the flipside also means I have to "LOLUNITY" and build my own systems to run things, by all means I'll do what I have to to gain functionality I need.

This happening is all OK in the grand scheme of things. This was what I consider a "known unknown". I knew somewhere down the line someone would be "that guy" but did not know the proper course of action. Now I have a better idea of what to look for, signs of danger, etc. Live and learn.

--

In other news, here's a screen of the mobile SHMUP we are working, super simple concept and execution, nothing fancy, very pick up and play:

infinite_space.png

In a nutshell the clipping is mostly due to gamemaker's horrid default collision detection. I ended up overhauling the whole thing for my game because I wanted something pixel perfect.

The default collision is great for RPG's/Adventure/Shooters but not for platformers that need precise movement.

However gamemaker does help in easing the process in so you can then understand and work towards more complex things, like said collision detection.

I see. How do I fix it? Do I just screw around with the player's mask?

I had quite hard time this week trying to figure out many bugs and rewrote a lot of code so I can switch between space ships, dock/undock ships and other things, didn't have much time to draw new art but have a lot of new mechanics in-game.

You can switch between different locations while exploring and taking care of your crew and ship, you can have some crew members flying other ships too and dock them into your main ship for additional defense and offensive tactics, or have an assault team in another location while your ship protects your squad.

MultipleLocations.png

In this screenshot I have some of my crew members inside a starport while the rest is still in my main ship.

Jobbs

Banned
(neogaf/tigsource/facebook/blog SSS crosspost)

(Game: Ghost Song)

The dash skill is performed with the bumpers. Left always dashes left, right always dashes right, regardless of what way you're facing. The subtleties here are that you only dash max distance if you hold the button the entire time, you can let go at any point for the preferred dash length, and landing with pinpoint accuracy as seen here takes some skill.

The other bit of subtlety is that a backdash (not seen here -- but it's a different dash animation and it happens if you dash left while facing right or vise versa) has a bit less distance than the forward dash.

click for full size webm.

Being a "metroidvania", obstacles such as this are natural things you encounter while exploring. You may wonder what's on the other side, you may wonder enough to try and bumble your way through without even having the requisite ability (in this case, dash) which leads to that odd sense of not quite belonging...

I see. How do I fix it? Do I just screw around with the player's mask?

Unfortunately no. The main issue with gamemaker is that it doesn't do pixel by pixel detection so you need to have something that does it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPRT_JORnIur3eKIaD-IayrdEt8pOor18

I pretty much followed this guys video almost to the letter with some of my own modifications. Proper sprite origin/masking + this code fixed ALL the collision issues. He also explains why. In a nutshell I find his tutorials very useful. Although I only used his tutorials for the platformer collision his other stuff is handy also.

Ito

Only because I cancelled this, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0w6PrL6s3s

I miss my ancient greece-themed zelda clone... Hopefully I'll be able to work on it again.

TBH, I started working on it on Game Maker: Studio. Working with this "simple" art style sure is fun -and quick!

w6jjW6V.jpg

coexTDg.png

Whenever I'll be able to get to it seriously, I'll have to work a lot to make it more different from Zelda, gameplay-wise.

I'm not sure why, but people often like this future-project (Olympos) better than my current one, Spirit Huntress. Perhaps I made a bad choice and I should have started with this one.

Here's a WebM of the attic in its "final" state, i.e. after all the background additions have been added.

http://a.pomf.se/hgnbmq.webm

So cute :)

The dash skill is performed with the bumpers...

I love me some precise moveset on my Metroidvanias. Good work!

I'm compiling a version for the iOS app store today!

The GB pallete looks charming on this one :)

Screw it, I went full DKCR mode on this level

Nice!

Unfortunately no. The main issue with gamemaker is that it doesn't do pixel by pixel detection so you need to have something that does it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPRT_JORnIur3eKIaD-IayrdEt8pOor18

I pretty much followed this guys video almost to the letter with some of my own modifications. Proper sprite origin/masking + this code fixed ALL the collision issues. He also explains why. In a nutshell I find his tutorials very useful. Although I only used his tutorials for the platformer collision his other stuff is handy also.

That's who I watched. I guess my jumping was fine until I created a jump sprite like this.

Jobbs

Banned
after thinking about it, I added my "teaching flowers" to this spot to draw attention to where to stand and how far your dashes can go.

I've used these moving flowers in a number of spots, particularly near the beginning, to draw attention to things. closest thing to a tutorial in the game.

Blizzard

Banned
after thinking about it, I added my "teaching flowers" to this spot to draw attention to where to stand and how far your dashes can go.

I've used these moving flowers in a number of spots, particularly near the beginning, to draw attention to things. closest thing to a tutorial in the game.
The idea of flowers to show you where to go or how far you can go is a cool one.

Five

Banned
What other cases are the teaching flowers used in? If it's never called out, but left subtle, that's absolutely brilliant.

Jobbs

Banned
The idea of flowers to show you where to go or how far you can go is a cool one.

What other cases are the teaching flowers used in? If it's never called out, but left subtle, that's absolutely brilliant.

thanks guys -- it's never called out. I don't do pop ups or instructions or Navi or whatever, it's not my style.

These flowers are conspicuous in that they move in a very deliberate way, whereas other flowers either don't move or perhaps move with the wind or something like that. I have used them a few times to gently direct the player's attention early in the game. Like, go this way, stand here, shoot here, whatever. It's not really a firm rule as to what they mean, I have just tried to use them to, again, subtly direct what the player is paying attention to.

ClearcutEnergeticHamadryad.gif

That looks pretty conspicuous, right? Almost like goal posts. There won't always be visual clues where a secret is, but being that it's early in the game, the goal is to teach the player about this concept (breaking walls) without resorting to handholding explanations or other things I personally don't like.

Five

Banned
Couple of thoughts:
  • You might be surprised at how many obvious things players will pass up.
  • Level of conspicuousness depends more on the rest of the scene not shown in that GIF. If the path terminates there, then it's definitely pretty clear signposting.
  • Wait, are those fucking cheap bats that are going to swoop in on me?

Jobbs

Banned
Couple of thoughts:
  • You might be surprised at how many obvious things players will pass up.
  • Level of conspicuousness depends more on the rest of the scene not shown in that GIF. If the path terminates there, then it's definitely pretty clear signposting.
  • Wait, are those fucking cheap bats that are going to swoop in on me?

hopefully the demo will provide me with some insight on how players respond to this as well as other design choices. :)

For example, I don't think the game is overly difficult, but I am starting to suspect based on a couple of people close to me trying the game that maybe it's actually pretty hard. We'll just see.

Ashodin

My tutorials are either explicitly laid out by the narrator + text, or conspicuous enough to be like "hey, maybe I should try this".

Jobbs

Banned
My tutorials are either explicitly laid out by the narrator + text, or conspicuous enough to be like "hey, maybe I should try this".

I'll tell people what the controls do, nuts and bolts stuff that it's only fair to tell, but that's the extent of anything popping up or explaining.

Ashodin

I'll tell people what the controls do, nuts and bolts stuff that it's only fair to tell, but that's the extent of anything popping up or explaining.

Yep as to be expected from your game. On the flipside, I'd like to make my game as accessible as possible to anyone for maximum playerbase.

I've been wondering about how much to put in the tutorial, in the old times there was a manual that I almost never read, and just played the game, very few times got stuck with the UI or the game itself in the past, so I was thinking why not eliminate the tutorial and let the player figure out things... maybe have some advice from time to time but very little or almost nothing and see people play.

I am thinking to release a demo in the next few months and see how people react to no tutorial and guess everything and die millions of times on the way :)

ZServ

god damn, jobbs you're making me horny for your game

IT LOOKS SO GOOD. My Super Metroid comparison was *spot* on.

Although I'm sure you're aware of this, audial cues are just as crucial as visual. Perhaps instead of visual cues for hidden secrets you could have audial cues? Wind blowing near a cracked wall that has a secret room behind it, or a beeping computer for that extra health kit, whatever, stuff like that.

Was in this thread before but didn't have as much time as I have now. I need some help with the game I'd like to do. It's my first game ever, no programming experience at all.

I've already designed the game (in my head). It's a simple 2D game I want to put on phones and use their tilt controls.

A high score game with about two things to do. Pretty simple in my head, but I don't know where to start. What engine would be best for this kind of small, easy game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom