• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Smash Bros clone Brawlout releasing for the Nintendo Switch later this year

I got super psyched when I thought this was some crazy collaboration between dozens of indie developers to allow their characters and worlds in a Smash-esque game. Then I saw all those bland, generic original characters and was disappointed that this seems like just a spiritless Smash clone.

Can you imagine if there were a game where Owlboy, The Scythian from Sword & Sworcery, and Frisk from Undertale could fight on an arena that's speeding down a Thumper track? Using support items that summon the farmer from Stardew Valley to grow damaging crops from the ground beneath the fighters or Gregg from Night in the Woods to hop around hitting people randomly with his wiggling arms (with a "Crimes!" word bubble above him)?

Holy fucking shit. That would so be my shit, so be my shit.

A Proteus arena, a morphing Antichamber arena, a frequently perspective-shifting Fez arena. Super Meat Boy versus Red from Transistor. Find a way to get a Her Story item in there, fuck it! What could you do with the narrator of Stanley Parable??

I've went and got myself super hyped for something will never ever ever exist.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh, people actually like this?

How is this any less of a clone than that Icons game?????

I dunno about liking it, but I recognize HLD, and it definitely looks better than Icons, so... good on them?

---

Now they gotta go and get that Hollow Knight guy lol

Daouzin

LOL I was thinking the same thing. If anything this looks more like Smash because the rendering style is closer to the real thing.

There isn't a difference, it's just that ICONS is openly influenced by Melee and GAF members go crazy when people talk about Melee and how great it is.

Both games look great, but this one definitely is more polished/further along. As similar as ICONS characters may be to their Melee counterparts, HL Drifter looks close to it's Ike counterpart in Brawl/Smash4/PM.

Glad to see a smash clone that looks good get love though.

I got super psyched when I thought this was some crazy collaboration between dozens of indie developers to allow their characters and worlds in a Smash-esque game. Then I saw all those bland, generic original characters and was disappointed that this seems like just a spiritless Smash clone.

Can you imagine if there were a game where Owlboy, The Scythian from Sword & Sworcery, and Frisk from Undertale could fight on an arena that's speeding down a Thumper track? Using support items that summon the farmer from Stardew Valley to grow damaging crops from the ground beneath the fighters or Gregg from Night in the Woods to hop around hitting people randomly with his wiggling arms (with a "Crimes!" word bubble above him)?

Holy fucking shit. That would so be my shit, so be my shit.

A Proteus arena, a morphing Antichamber arena, a frequently perspective-shifting Fez arena. Super Meat Boy versus Red from Transistor. Find a way to get a Her Story item in there, fuck it! What could you do with the narrator of Stanley Parable??

I've went and got myself super hyped for something will never ever ever exist.

Bounty Battle

J-Tier

Too bad it just doesn't look as good as Brawlout. The roster so far is so good:

Juan from Guacamelee!
Harry from The Bug Butcher
Sheriff Lonestar from Awesomenauts
Thora from Jotun
Trace from Axiom Verge
Tetrobot from Blocks That Matter
Captain Flinthook from Flinthook
Violet and King Flavius from The Metronomicon
Gully and Calibretto from Battle Chasers
Crusader from Darkest Dungeon
Marduk from Undungeon
Otus from Owlboy
Eshe from Sundered
Fish from Nuclear Throne
The Unslain from Doko Roko
Pankapu from Pankapu
Hermetic Champion from Tower of Samsara
Shield Maiden from Eitr
Rudy from Blubber Busters
Agent of Death from Death's Gambit
Rad Rodgers from Rad Rodgers
Stargrove from Ruin of the Reckless
Raz from Psychonauts

I'm actually more interested in it because it doesn't look like a straight Smash clone. Though they're similar looking (4-player, simplified controls), it's a little apples to oranges when the details come in to play.

Neiteio

The gameplay is distinctly Smash — maybe even a tad crisper in its snappy action? And that's pretty appealing to me.

But what really sells this is they managed a style that makes this game feel like its own universe with its own appealing aesthetics. It doesn't feel like a empty copycat, nor does it suffer for lacking Smash's starpower.

Instead, it feels like an artistic abstraction that's just appealing to look at in terms of its colors, contours, etc. And it looks just as fun to play.

I might have to pick this up. Although it makes me realize even more how much I want Smash 4 to come to Switch.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Juan from Guacamelee!
Harry from The Bug Butcher
Sheriff Lonestar from Awesomenauts
Thora from Jotun
Trace from Axiom Verge
Tetrobot from Blocks That Matter
Captain Flinthook from Flinthook
Violet and King Flavius from The Metronomicon
Gully and Calibretto from Battle Chasers
Crusader from Darkest Dungeon
Marduk from Undungeon
Otus from Owlboy
Eshe from Sundered
Fish from Nuclear Throne
The Unslain from Doko Roko
Pankapu from Pankapu
Hermetic Champion from Tower of Samsara
Shield Maiden from Eitr
Rudy from Blubber Busters
Agent of Death from Death's Gambit
Rad Rodgers from Rad Rodgers
Stargrove from Ruin of the Reckless
Raz from Psychonauts
Oh Goodies. Will have to buy it now.

I wish it were a more crowded AA and AAA market.

Maybe bigger devs don't see it as profitable.

Getting Smash players to move away from actual Smash games, full of everyone's favorite Nintendo characters, is a daunting task. Heck, even Nintendo themselves can't get a huge chunk of players to move away from the 15 year old version of their game.

Memory

https://twitter.com/Warchamp7/status/887025634555420673

Can we just call them Platform Fighters instead of Smash Clones? There are enough of them at this point where it can be a genre, and even if at face level they all appear the same (Hint: Every genre), if you spend practically any amount of time with them you notice the differences.

I don't think we can do this until one has proven itself. They should stop using Brawl in their names and/or catering to a subset of the audience also.

Once a few of these games does well critically and commercial they will gain their own identity. It wouldn't help for them to differentiate themselves abit more also.

I consider this much less of a clone than the Icons game because Icons just ripped whole movesets from melee characters, while at the very most this game seems to have some similar moves from a wide array of characters, but still has much more unique moves. I still don't like smash clones in general though. They just don't have the quality of characters Nintendo has, but adding Hyper Light Drifter definitely helps that problem.

Depends on which Indie Smash clone got to him first.

Hopefully Nintendo got to him first. Always wanted a lance-like character in smash, and since Bandana Waddle Dee doesn't seem to have much of a chance, I would be happy to be able to play as shovel knight.

brawly

This looks actually pretty cool. Love the stylistic. But why would you release a game like this on a Nintendo console, where the home of the original is, instead on PS4 and Xbox One, which do lack a game like this?

It's coming out on PS4 and XBO aswell...

PSqueak

Banned
The Drifter looks great but those other character designs...woof.

And yet, better looking and with more personality than icons, hah.

Can we just call them Platform Fighters instead of Smash Clones? There are enough of them at this point where it can be a genre, and even if at face level they all appear the same (Hint: Every genre), if you spend practically any amount of time with them you notice the differences.

No, this and icons and Aether, they all play exactly like smash, even PASBR is more worthy of being called a platform fighter, same for Bounty Battle, but thi? SMASH CLONE.

Aside from Hyperlight Drifter, the rest of the characters seem like NPCs in R&C game or something. Just not that interesting or noticeable.

Gameplay looks hella fun though.

Galang

Banned
This looks alright to me. Since they included battle chasers, owlboy and hyperlight drifter I can't pass on this. Really good character choices imo. They need to add some Undertale love too

PSqueak

Banned
This looks alright to me. Since they included battle chasers, owlboy and hyperlight drifter I can't pass on this. Really good character choices imo. They need to add some Undertale love too

Uh, that's Bounty Battle, this is the Brawlout thread.

Frogstep

Eh, this at least looks a little bit better than that terrible Project M team one. Not enough to make me stop playing the real thing.

I gotta say, I'm not loving the design on some of these other animal looking fighters. Something about them just makes them look boring.

Evilisk

Weird that OP left out Drifter apparently being in the game now.

It's dumb

We had a Brawlout thread long before Icons was revealed, and it went as well as a Smash clone thread regularly does on GAF. Now everyone's (relatively) more okay with Brawlout because of Icons

https://twitter.com/Warchamp7/status/887025634555420673

No, this and icons and Aether, they all play exactly like smash, even PASBR is more worthy of being called a platform fighter, same for Bounty Battle, but thi? SMASH CLONE.

I have to agree with PSqueak here. Icons, Rivals of Aether and this title are all definitely Smash clones (and not in a derogatory sense). The most recent platform fighters are going all in on recreating Smash gameplay, with Icons in particular gunning for that Melee crowd. Previously the trend was Smash "but with a (poorly thought out) twist" or just half-assed Smash clones that are very poor on a technical level.

While I agree on the sentiment on using platform fighters in general, Smash clone is actually warranted for this game because it's using the percentage + ring out system

Wildo09

All the characters look terrible except for Hyper Light Drifter, which is funny cause it's from another game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It would be neat if one of these Smash clones was actually as fast as Melee.

Icons will probably be up there once it's done. Apart from not having l-canceling it will be in the same ballpark, and I'd guess aerials are probably going to be balanced around lower landing lag than their Smash counterparts anyway.

This looks more inspired by Smash 4/Brawl than Melee to me.

It's dumb

We had a Brawlout thread long before Icons was revealed, and it went as well as a Smash clone thread regularly does on GAF. Now everyone's (relatively) more okay with Brawlout because of Icons

It probably helps that the game is far enough along that it looks decent. Icons is still suuuuper early so it's not really fair to expect it to be a polished game. But bullshots and marketing betas probably distort people's idea of what a very pre-alpha, very incomplete game looks like.

Top Bottom