• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

coughlanio

Tempted to grab one off Makuake. Seems like it might be ideal for something like Gwent and the mid-tier Action RPGs I love so much like Two Worlds and the original Witcher.

Or should I wait for general release?

redlemon

I'd wait for a general release at this stage. 300 is a lot for a Chinese device with no QA so I'll definitely be waiting for reviews.

MJPIA

Some people just asked that question in the indiegogo comment section so you might wanna check it every so often to see what kendy replies with whenever he next pops onto the comment section.

brainpann

Some people just asked that question in the indiegogo comment section so you might wanna check it every so often to see what kendy replies with whenever he next pops onto the comment section.

Thanks- I have been but some answers finally came up today. People that are interested in purchasing one are directed to Geekbuying.com. I've never used this site before, and while I'm fine trying it out, I am wondering if anyone here has experience with them?

Does anyone know if they charge you right away for a pre order?

MJPIA

Thanks- I have been but some answers finally came up today. People that are interested in purchasing one are directed to Geekbuying.com. I've never used this site before, and while I'm fine trying it out, I am wondering if anyone here has experience with them?

Does anyone know if they charge you right away for a pre order?

I think I've bought some stuff from Geekbuying without issue but it was mostly cheap electronic stuff for my brother.
Never had any issues but as always ymmv with Chinese sellers and overseas shipping.
Geek buying does have that 4% off code of the main page for subscribing to their emails, Just tried and it'll drop the price in cart to 316.80.
I know Dinodirect is also a authorized seller for the Win and I've heard good things about them although as usual YMMV.
They seem to have a 10% off code EDMSUB10 that drops it to $300 in cart.

Not sure about preorder charges but I assume it is instant.

One thing I'm not sure of is how it'll be shipped, I don't know if preorders from third party sites will be shipped directly from gpd or if gpd will ship them to the sellers who then ship to you.
I think Dino has some of the better shipping options that decently priced if you wish to pay for them but I don't know how shipping will be handled in the end.

brainpann

I think I've bought some stuff from Geekbuying without issue but it was mostly cheap electronic stuff for my brother.
Never had any issues but as always ymmv with Chinese sellers and overseas shipping.
Geek buying does have that 4% off code of the main page for subscribing to their emails, Just tried and it'll drop the price in cart to 316.80.
I know Dinodirect is also a authorized seller for the Win and I've heard good things about them although as usual YMMV.
They seem to have a 10% off code EDMSUB10 that drops it to $300 in cart.

Not sure about preorder charges but I assume it is instant.

One thing I'm not sure of is how it'll be shipped, I don't know if preorders from third party sites will be shipped directly from gpd or if gpd will ship them to the sellers who then ship to you.
I think Dino has some of the better shipping options that decently priced if you wish to pay for them but I don't know how shipping will be handled in the end.

Thx for the info. Going to check out Dinodirect.

MUnited83

For you.
Just saw that the first batch of completed prototypes has been finished!

gotkw3phkjnibglrdenm.jpg

jcgkkc8n5ilm1i78rrxn.jpg

ylkvu99gzu5wrkfx9y3q.jpg

vem095tjg9n6wh182xgx.jpg

hakc6g8da3ka6tltuy6q.jpg

oti

Banned
I cant wait for the first impressions. I'm so ready to dive in, but I just wait for the thermal impressions. If the thing manage to not throttle too much... I bite.

What are you going to use it for once you have it? I was thinking about getting a GPD XD but I'm not really sure if I need one. Do you play so many old games that this would be worth it for you?

I can think of a ton of indies/smaller titles that will probably not come to Vita that I'd love to play on a portable console. Freedom Planet, Undertale, Stardew Valley, Ys Origin, Environmental Station Alpha etc. Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter would be a good one too, so would Mother 4 (assuming it turns out good, which I'm betting on).

If it could play Source games well, you know it would be great to play all of Half Life (originals, Black Mesa, HL2 and episodes, Portal 1 & 2) and maybe Left 4 Dead and stuff. If Deus Ex Human Revolution could run decently I'd probably play it again. Meat Boy with the proper Danny Baranowsky soundtrack and Crypt of the Necrodancer with moddable music. Unfortunately a number of games just wouldn't play properly without a mouse, but there'd be enough games that don't need it that it'd definitely be worth it.

I'd say character action games like MGR and DMC (3, 4 and reboot) would be cool too, but besides maybe DMC3, I doubt they'd run quick enough, in fact I've seen video of the GPD Win running DMC4 pretty slowly.

I'd probably be more inclined to set aside time to play LISA if it was portable too. It just goes on and on really, for me at least.

Edit: Gunpoint maybe, don't know how well it'd do with no mouse? Monaco? Oh, RE4! I'd also like to play Ori portably, I've had it for a while and haven't played really any of it because I often have limited gaming time at home and it takes more effort to boot up the PC. Same goes for To the Moon.

Edit: Valdis Story, Guacamelee Turbo Championship Edition with mods (Samus, Eva Unit 01 and Mario&Luigi playable). Maybe even Fallout New Vegas would work! I'd love to replay Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Splinter Cell 1 & 3 (still no Pandora Tomorrow...). The Stanley Parable would be amusing to play on a portable system..

What are you going to use it for once you have it? I was thinking about getting a GPD XD but I'm not really sure if I need one. Do you play so many old games that this would be worth it for you?

Smaller PS2/GC titles, a lot of my steam games, mainly indie stuff, streaming, visual novels but also as a mini laptop.
It's not only about old games, it's also about current gen games for me. If I was only interest in playing retro games up to Dreamcast/N64, then GPD XD would be enough.

I can think of a ton of indies/smaller titles that will probably not come to Vita that I'd love to play on a portable console. Freedom Planet, Undertale, Stardew Valley, Ys Origin, Environmental Station Alpha etc. Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter would be a good one too, so would Mother 4 (assuming it turns out good, which I'm betting on).

If it could play Source games well, you know it would be great to play all of Half Life (originals, Black Mesa, HL2 and episodes, Portal 1 & 2) and maybe Left 4 Dead and stuff. If Deus Ex Human Revolution could run decently I'd probably play it again. Meat Boy with the proper Danny Baranowsky soundtrack and Crypt of the Necrodancer with moddable music. Unfortunately a number of games just wouldn't play properly without a mouse, but there'd be enough games that don't need it that it'd definitely be worth it.

I'd say character action games like MGR and DMC (3, 4 and reboot) would be cool too, but besides maybe DMC3, I doubt they'd run quick enough, in fact I've seen video of the GPD Win running DMC4 pretty slowly.

I'd probably be more inclined to set aside time to play LISA if it was portable too. It just goes on and on really, for me at least.

Edit: Gunpoint maybe, don't know how well it'd do with no mouse? Monaco? Oh, RE4! I'd also like to play Ori portably, I've had it for a while and haven't played really any of it because I often have limited gaming time at home and it takes more effort to boot up the PC. Same goes for To the Moon.

Edit: Valdis Story, Guacamelee Turbo Championship Edition with mods (Samus, Eva Unit 01 and Mario&Luigi playable). Maybe even Fallout New Vegas would work! I'd love to replay Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Splinter Cell 1 & 3 (still no Pandora Tomorrow...). The Stanley Parable would be amusing to play on a portable system..

DMC4 could work well. I suspect that the video we saw running was running the game at native res and not everything on low. Either that or the device isnrunning too hot.

Oh wow, didn't know there was a thread here for the GPD WIN. I just bought a GPD XD a few weeks ago and love it. It's not perfect, but it works well. I'm curious to see how this turns out. BTW there's already a big tablet/game device out already. It's running android, but has really good hardware.

I play a ton of games from the early 2000's so that's why I'm planning on buying one of these once they hit retail.

There are a ton of old non-demanding PC games that I've always wanted to have "on the go" so this would be perfect for that :D

oti

Banned
I play a ton of games from the early 2000's so that's why I'm planning on buying one of these once they hit retail.

There are a ton of old non-demanding PC games that I've always wanted to have "on the go" so this would be perfect for that :D

I see. I do love handhelds but I don't really use them on the go. I think I'm sticking with buying the odd Virtual Console game here and there than getting this. I could always dip my toes into emulators on PC if I feel like it.

And.... I think I just bricked mine today updating the system's stupid program. Anyone know I can fix it? I was updating something called Super SU or some crap. Now I'm stuck at a failed update screen.

HotHamBoy

Looks terrible....

I have a Galaxy Note 5. I have an iPad with a keyboard case. I have a Vita. I have a lenovo laptop. I just can't see a world where i need this.

This is cool, but its obvious its first gen. That thing will become thinner and more powerful, and then I will bite!

Would be cool if it had a LTE modem, so you can have internet everywhere.

Maximo

Looks terrible....

I have a Galaxy Note 5. I have an iPad with a keyboard case. I have a Vita. I have a lenovo laptop. I just can't see a world where i need this.

Whats the point of a comment like this? It made its IndieGogo there is clearly a big audience for a handheld windows device.

This is cool, but its obvious its first gen. That thing will become thinner and more powerful, and then I will bite!

Yeah I was looking forward to the device but might wait for a gen 2 or 3, or if another company wants to take a crack at it.

To be fair, I don't think getting thinner would be a good idea. It's a gaming device, which means it needs a good battery but also a good grip.

Philippo

So, i'm starting to consider buying one of these, since it looks amazing and i'm in a retro-gaming mood.
But i've been reading that the company is already working on a XD2 with a processor that even runs PS2, Wii emulators on other tablets.
Any idea when that is going to come out, and do you think it's better to wait for it (if it's going to get the same price as the original)?

MJPIA

Dear backer:

As the final prototype was completed a few days ago.We estimate that only two or three months later, we can arrange the delivery for you all.
So today I hope you all can help me to confirm your shipping address.
And i need to infrom first that,if the parcel were forced to return because the shipping address errors or can't contact the recipient.
All of return cost is charged by recipient.otherwise we will refuse the second shipment.
Of courese if your address is completely accurate,the situation of forced return must will not happen.And we also will try our best to avoid this kind of circumstance happening.
So I hope you all can help us to confirm your shipping address follow the steps blow.

1.Make sure your shipping address is compeletly correct,include your name.

2.Accroidng to the DHL system-DCT(the site URL is : http://dct.dhl.com)
Check your zip code can match your city or not.If they are not matched,Please modify and check again until they are matched.
1)Click into this site:http://dct.dhl.com
2)Find the Destination Country,enter your country
3)Find the Destination Zip Code,enter the zip code.
4)Then a display window will appear,shows a city matched with this zip code.
Please refer to the following example.

3.Make sure your shipping address have phone number.So if there is any problem during shipping,we can contact your directly.(This item is very important,please pay more attention to.)
If your haven't add the telephone number to the address,please add it on the address line 2 bar now.
And if we don't find your phone number in the address when we arrange the shipping,We will delay the delivery until you add the phone number.

It is so sorry to bother your.But we are really hope you all can help us to confirm your address.So the GPD WIN can arrival you side more quickly and safety.
If your have any problem,please be free to contact us.

email address: sales09@softwincn.com
Getting closer

They did a surface temperature test while playing a video over wifi. Doesn't seem too insightful though. Really need to know the CPU temp. As well as the temp when performing at its limits.
EDIT: Actually, I'm not familiar with infrared thermometers. Is it possible it can test the internal temperatures of the GPD Win?

RowdyReverb

They did a surface temperature test while playing a video over wifi. Doesn't seem too insightful though. Really need to know the CPU temp. As well as the temp when performing at its limits.
EDIT: Actually, I'm not familiar with infrared thermometers. Is it possible it can test the internal temperatures of the GPD Win?
It wouldn't measure the internal temp, just the temp of the surface. It does give an idea of what kind of heat your hands will experience though

MJPIA

GPD released a video of the Win running the 2009 game Prototype and it seems to be running pretty smooth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZc8XEOKRo
Also from GPD on the dingoonity forums.
And for the Z8550.We are trying to solve this problem now.I hope and i firmly think we can solve it!!Once get the good news,i will let your know!!
Nothing concrete but apparently they may yet get the Z8550 for it.
Kinda wish they'd install fraps or something like that so we can see what the framerate actually is.
Although I guess we'll know once the testers get their units.

MJPIA

Well then, did not expect this.
This is a really good news.

As the Intel was canceled Atom series chip,The next generation is Apollo lake,
Performance will be optimized, but the power consumption should be more heavy.We think this series chip will no longer suitable for portable devices.
So we may probably stop the GPD WIN 2.....

And we really hope can make the first generation products to be the best one. Also after multiple performance contrast,We found the performance of Z8700 is much improved compared to the Z8500.

So as many backers expect,we final decided to update the Z8550 into Z8700-Z8750. When mass production,If we can find a suitable supply for Z8750, we will use Z8750.If not,we will use Z8700.

It must be a really good news for your guys.right?

Really thanks for your support again!!

CO_Andy

Processor upgrade to the Z87?! That's a bombshell. Makes the PGS almost irrelevant now that GPD stole it's biggest selling point.

MJPIA

Z8500:
Processor Base Frequency 1.44 GHz
Burst Frequency 2.24 GHz

Processor Graphics ‡ Intel® HD Graphics
Graphics Base Frequency 200 MHz
Graphics Burst Frequency 600 MHz
Graphics Video Max Memory 8 GB
Execution Units 12
Z8550
Processor Base Frequency 1.44 GHz
Burst Frequency 2.40 GHz

Intel® HD Graphics 400
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 600 MHz
Execution Units 12
Z8700
Processor Base Frequency 1.6 GHz
Burst Frequency 2.4 GHz

Intel® HD Graphics
Graphics Burst Frequency 600 MHz
Execution Units 16
Z8750
Processor Base Frequency 1.6 GHz
Burst Frequency 2.56 GHz

Intel® HD Graphics 405
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 600 MHz
Execution Units 16
Cpu speed bump is nice but the GPU Execution unit jump to 16 in the Z87 from 12 in the Z85 is the big thing.

Putting aside the other differences base specs are mostly the same as the Surface 3 according to wikipedia.
Intel Atom system-on-chip quad-core x7-Z8700
1.6 up to 2.40 GHz, 2 MB cache, 2 W[2]
Memory 2 or 4 GB LPDDR3 1600 MHz
Storage 64 or 128 GB (37 and 93 GB respectively are user-available)[3]
Removable storage microSD, up to 200 GB[4]
Biggest question now is how well it can dissipate heat.

Forgot to mention but GPD has already sent out some prototypes to testers in China, although I think they have the Z8500.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg146718/#msg146718
Link has more pictures.
Roughly 15 second boot apparently.

I'm hoping they don't cancel the Win2.
I want more clamshell window devices for the future.

Azriell

Really tempted by this, but $330 is such a high price for a relative unknown. I'm thinking about it for playing indies, last gen stuff, and emulation. Booting in Steam OS should give better performance too, right?

Keyboard seems kinda useless, but everything else is exciting.

Gr8one

I'm hoping they don't cancel the Win2.
I want more clamshell window devices for the future.

I'm in the same boat. Exciting news about the cpu upgrade (although with the caveat of increased cpu throttling if they can't find a solution for the increased temps), but really disappointed that this might be the only one I get my hands on.

I thought Apollo Lake was supposed to be more energy efficient? I imagine they would have to have a build similar to the JXD's tablet with integrated controller setup, if they need a larger battery. Not really a fan of those systems, they aren't as portable.

Rich!

So what's the likely date for general release?

If this thing can play the Ys games without an issue then I'm totally sold

It'll also funnily enough make my vita even more redundant due to danganronpa being playable on it

Gr8one

So what's the likely date for general release?

If this thing can play the Ys games without an issue then I'm totally sold

It'll also funnily enough make my vita even more redundant due to danganronpa being playable on it

They are pushing for October.

Also check out this video of Surface Pro 3 with the z8700, so you can get a rough estimate of performance of the chipset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbsT8bB1KQ

Mind you I don't know how well the GPD will handle the increased heat generated. Either way I am excited and optimistic!

StereoVsn

No shit, they are going 8700-8750 route. I may actually spring for this. I also don't think these guys need to worry about PGS. Only one of these two devices is real :).
Edit: is the controller x-input?

MJPIA

Really tempted by this, but $330 is such a high price for a relative unknown. I'm thinking about it for playing indies, last gen stuff, and emulation. Booting in Steam OS should give better performance too, right?

Keyboard seems kinda useless, but everything else is exciting.
Theoretically this can play anything the non-pro Surface 3 can play and probably slightly better since its driving a 720p display instead of a 1080p so surface 3 reviews might give you an idea of what you can do.
Obviously as has been mentioned this all depends on its ability to dissipate heat and not throttle.
Got several months until they start shipping out so if you're on the fence you can just wait until testers get their hands on the device and review them.
I skim several forums discussing the Win so once reviews come out I'll post them here if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I'm in the same boat. Exciting news about the cpu upgrade (although with the caveat of increased cpu throttling if they can't find a solution for the increased temps), but really disappointed that this might be the only one I get my hands on.

I thought Apollo Lake was supposed to be more energy efficient? I imagine they would have to have a build similar to the JXD's tablet with integrated controller setup, if they need a larger battery. Not really a fan of those systems, they aren't as portable.

Yeah if it had been something like JXD's boomerang shaped tablet with the controls on the edges I never would have backed it.
Not the type of portable device I'm interested in.

This area is not my strong point and I don't think Intel's released all the details about Apollo Lake yet but the lowest power chip they've shown has a 6w tdp I think.
Broxton which was supposed to replace Cherry trail on the low end of things was canceled which seems to have left a gaping hole in the 2w tdp area.
Not much point making a second gen system if it has the same cpu and gpu as the first.
Guess it all depends on what AMD does and I pretty much know nothing about their low powered chips.

Rich!

No shit, they are going 8700-8750 route. I may actually spring for this. I also don't think these guys need to worry about PGS. Only one of these two devices is real :).
Edit: is the controller x-input?

yeah, it's x-input. they've even put in the guide button onto the unit:

WXvJ6kq.jpg

I'll cautiously wait for reviews, and make a purchase later this year

Ugh... Atom x7... On hand hand, it doesnt sounds like a good idea in thermal... On the other hand, damn I need this. This is the only thing I'm waiting before buying: Thermals. If it doesn't throttle hard, it's a day one purchase.

Top Bottom