• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

BPoole

So there is a bigger gap in resolution between the PS4 and the Xbox One than there is between the 360 and the Xbox One?

Mrbob

XB1 balanced for 720p gaming.

At least it is officially confirmed now so maybe the craziness can end.... Or just begin.

Vizzeh

Banned
COD at 1080p vs BF4 at 900p on PS4. It's too convenient.

I don't mean its moneyhatted etc, I know the reason for the resolution is down to the difference in hardware and esram limits, I mean the tweet is to cause a stir, it will get people arguing, COD just happens to be getting advertised while doing it

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's kind of an insane difference. 2.25 times more pixels. So in their implementation, PS4 is literally 125% faster if the framerate holds the same between the two. I wonder what are they doing that's choking the XB1 so much.

*edit* dumb typo in percents...

Hm. CoD games never, ever hit a locked 60fps on consoles. They always have drops. I wonder if this will be locked 60fps on PS4 if you force it down to 720p.

Still, definitive console version confirmed. Congrats to Sony on the PS4 being a relative beast, especially for 400 clams.

Paskil

I have no intention of getting a XB1 (various reasons), but this would absolutely not be a dealbreaker for me. People treating this like the end-all-be-all dealbreaker and that people that still purchasing a unit are somehow stupid, or dumb is ridiculous and remarkable. If I loved Halo, Fable, Forza, and other MS IP, I would absolutely get a XB1, day one. That's why I'm getting a PS4 at launch and will eventually get a WiiU.

If Sony released a new Uncharted on PS4 and it was 720 instead of 1080, would I be pissed? Probably. Would I still eat it up and enjoy it, regardless? Yes.

Fuck off with that console warrior shit.

daninthemix

Here I was assuming the PC version will look absolutely stunning considering its whopping system requirements. Now I have doubts...

That's kind of an insane difference. 2.25 times more pixels. So in their implementation, PS4 is literally 225% faster if the framerate holds the same between the two. I wonder what are they doing that's choking the XB1 so much.

Percentage, how does it work?

125% more pixels.

Perkel

Banned
Um let's not start confirming old rumors by inferring things.

One of journalist talked with one of devs who were working on next gen ports of COD.
Ir is considered rumor because dev name was not named.

Today we have confirmation. 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbone.

This looks like that dev was talking about which basically confirms that earlier rumor.

This game looks kinda meh anyway. Wouldn't be shocked if the difference between 1080p and 720p was even less than BF4.

That said, this has to be a worrying trend for Xbox One fans, cause it speaks to the power of the console and whether it can keep up.

KHlover

Banned
Looking more and more like my recently built PC will last a whole generation of multiplats without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, maybe once they stop with the arbitrarily shoddy ports of Next-Gen games we see ATM. It becomes clearer and clearer that those just serve to squeeze some money for new hardware out of PC owners which otherwise wouldn't have a reason to upgrade at all.

/tinfoil hat

Lettuce

Fuck Sake!. Is the Xbone just a 360 in a larger case or something!!. How could they get this so wrong and so far off the mark.

Its funny last gen the 360 was out a good year before the PS3 hit, so Sony had ages to make the system wipe the floor technically and graphically with the 360....yet it failed to do so. This next gen they both come out within days of each other and the ps4 seems to be so far ahead of the Xbone is unbelievable just wft happened!!

Zoator

nope.

the difference between 5 and 10, is 5.

it's 225% better.

the difference is 125%.

It doesn't make sense to use percents to describe an absolute difference between numbers. They're used to describe relative figures. So the PS4 version has 125% more pixels than the XBox One version, or the PS4 version has 225% of the pixels of the XBox One version.

Bundy

Banned
Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

kobe-hilariously-confused-reaction-gif.gif

Yeah I know it sucks, but I don't think the COD crowd really gives a fuck haha

I'm more concerned about what it'll mean for games like saaay, a Fall Out title? Were getting it to look good will bottle neck. I'm a programer my self, and we don't like systems that add to the complexity of what were trying to do. Hence why everyone shat on the cell processor because it was such a pain to program for. You don't need to have worked on the PS3 to realize that thing was very hard to fully optimize. ESRAM I think was built with the cloud in mind. ESRAM runs at a much higher rate than than DDR3 ram in bits per second but with only 32mb available. It won't really be a game changer. Maybe if you offloaded everything you could to the cloud? I think this was installed under the assumption that the Xbox One would be always online.

Ryoku

Wii U is pretty close in cost to the PS4.

And lets not pretend like this is the archetypal Xbox One game. Forza is 1080p and Ryse looks perfectly next-gen.

I think looking at the game, its hard to blame this entirely on the hardware.

What? It's a whole hundred dollars less than the PS4, On top of that, it comes in bundles.
It's the same as saying PS4 is pretty close in cost to the XBO.

I don't mean its moneyhatted etc, I know the reason for the resolution is down to the difference in hardware and esram limits, I mean the tweet is to cause a stir, it will get people arguing, COD just happens to be getting advertised while doing it
No no I meant it puts IW in a better light by giving them rights to brag that their game is actually 1080p on the PS4.

Majanew

Banned
Embarrassing, Microsoft. Just downright embarrassing.

Microsoft Engineer said:
We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player.

And lets not pretend like this is the archetypal Xbox One game. Forza is 1080p and Ryse looks perfectly next-gen.

I think looking at the game, its hard to blame this entirely on the hardware.

But those are games specifically designed around the hardware. When you build hardware that demands special treatment, this is what you get. Most devs aren't gonna design their game engine around the XB1's problems.

Mung

No big news.Except here of course.

The usual suspects are on alert I see.

This is huge news, and will be picked up by gaming and non-gaming sites.

Considering COD looks terrible, it's even more shocking.

Is this the truth Major Nelson said he couldn't wait for?

Top Bottom