• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 Roster Discussion & Speculation Thread

sinkfla87

Heh, that's the exact same thing I'm doing. Kinda hoping Best Buy drops me another random $10 off coupon so I can pick it up for a straight $60.

My goal is to actually learn how to play fighting games for once. I always play through the story mode, challenge modes, and get the arcade endings for every character, but I rarely ever actually fight against human players.

Add me on PSN and we can play! I can help you. I'm knowledgeable and not an awful player so I can teach you some things (notice how I never used the phrase "I'm a good player") haha. And that sounds good pock3t! Not much longer now.
I wish it was already the 28th because while I wasn't exactly stoked to see Joker return, I am curious to see if they'll give him moves this time around that will actually make me want to continue playing as him haha.

Ryce

Multiverse mode, which is apparently playable at Insomnia Gaming Festival in England:

C9ZR5iRXUAEaq8y.jpg

Ryce

I think it's essentially just a repackaged Living Towers mode. I hope the ”Fifth Dimension" battles have Mxyzptlk in the background causing mayhem (throwing shit on screen, reversing the controls, et cetera).

Ryce

Here's a description of Multiverse mode from an old article:
In addition to the campaign, online, and fighting game standard arcade modes, Injustice 2 also introduces the new Multiverse mode. Similar to Mortal Kombat X's Towers, the Multiverse allows players to travel to an ever-changing series of parallel worlds in the DC Universe and battle alternate versions of the heroes and villains with various handicaps, stipulations, and goals. Completing the gauntlet, you'll gain access to various tiers of Motherboxes, which yield new gear, items, and shaders for your characters.

vg260

I never got to play Shadow Lords because KI seems to hate me, but it looks like Living Towers.
Which is w/e.

What was wrong with SL?

It's OK, just hella grindy and wears out its welcome a bit fast, imo. Some people are really much more vocal about it though, especially since it resulted in not all S3 characters getting a stage.

sinkfla87

It's OK, just hella grindy and wears out its welcome a bit fast, imo. Some people are really much more vocal about it though, especially since it resulted in not all S3 characters getting a stage.

Yeah I tried SL out for myself but only held my interest for a short amount of time :(. Let me know if you're free to play KOF or anything else tonight, btw :)

That picture has me hyped. I guess the best way to think of it is as a combination between the Living Towers and STAR LABS, which is genius to me. Where did you find that picture, Ryce? I hope we get more info out of that event.

Yeah I tried SL out for myself but only held my interest for a short amount of time :(. Let me know if you're free to play KOF or anything else tonight, btw :)

That picture has me hyped. I guess the best way to think of it is as a combination between the Living Towers and STAR LABS, which is genius to me. Where did you find that picture, Ryce? I hope we get more info out of that event.

That's how I'm interpreting it as well. The addition of rewards, likely for completing the pictured objectives, is a better incentive for completion than what we had for Star Labs in the first game. Hopefully we'll have a complete breakdown of the available game modes at launch soon.

sinkfla87

Nice! I was looking at that person's Twitter and apparently they have more detailed info to share but are asking if they can pm it to not get in trouble. Who's got Twitter and wants to pm this person and promise them they'll be a GAF hero if they share?! Haha.

That's how I'm interpreting it as well. The addition of rewards, likely for completing the pictured objectives, is a better incentive for completion than what we had for Star Labs in the first game. Hopefully we'll have a complete breakdown of the available game modes at launch soon.

Well they said they were eventually going to do a stream about gear, so like you I hope they do one on game modes. I really want to know more info about this mode. If we can just get that person to talk now lol. In a way this is kind of like... A Living STAR Labs?

Nice! I was looking at that person's Twitter and apparently they have more detailed info to share but are asking if they can pm it to not get in trouble. Who's got Twitter and wants to pm this person and promise them they'll be a GAF hero if they share?! Haha.

Done! Just waiting for a reply.

Well they said they were eventually going to do a stream about gear, so like you I hope they do one on game modes. I really want to know more info about this mode. If we can just get that person to talk now lol. In a way this is kind of like... A Living STAR Labs?

That's perfect. We're thirty two days out from release, did we know about Star Labs by this point in the countdown to Injustice 1's launch?

sinkfla87

Done! Just waiting for a reply.

That's perfect. We're thirty two days out from release, did we know about Star Labs by this point in the countdown to Injustice 1's launch?

Thank you!!! Hope they don't go into hiding haha. I've been trying to do some research but I cannot for the life of me find out when they first announced Star Labs :(. I remember before MKX launch however that they did showcase some of the new modes. I think we might get a stream on that a week or two before launch. I could be wrong and it could be earlier or later, but I'm ready for that info now lol.

Thank you!!! Hope they don't go into hiding haha. I've been trying to do some research but I cannot for the life of me find out when they first announced Star Labs :(. I remember before MKX launch however that they did showcase some of the new modes. I think we might get a stream on that a week or two before launch. I could be wrong and it could be earlier or later, but I'm ready for that info now lol.

No reply as yet. We're definitely due for a stream on game modes and features. Sooner than later is preferred. I know everyone is clamouring for more character breakdowns, but I want to hear more detailed information about the game mechanics.

vg260

C9dia_3UAAEt3pB.jpg:orig

Looks great as always, but I wish there was a mode that would allow us to make screenshots like this too. Like a photomode or mode in which you watch the game HUDless to make screens.

Scarecrow should really be spitting out bees or flies or something since those moves are relegated to abiliy slots and his base moveset could use a little more flair. That puke move is too similar to Atrocitus.

Slaythe

I would love it if their replay feature had a free camera and you could kinda place it like you wished to make features ouf of the fights.

Then you could stage some fights with friends to make them purely epic.

Tyaren

I would love it if their replay feature had a free camera and you could kinda place it like you wished to make features ouf of the fights.

Then you could stage some fights with friends to make them purely epic.

It's imo weird that not more fighting games do have a photomode or at least make it a little easier to take photos, like being able to pause the game and being able to make whatever menu window pops up then invisible.
I immensely enjoy the spectator mode in DOA games. You can pause at any time, freely move the camera, zoom in or out, taking pics.

Fighters, with all their action, cool poses and pretty character models are imo made for photomodes or spectator modes...

sinkfla87

No reply as yet. We're definitely due for a stream on game modes and features. Sooner than later is preferred. I know everyone is clamouring for more character breakdowns, but I want to hear more detailed information about the game mechanics.

Damn, I guess they ducked out lol. Apparently there's no stream or recording for Insomnia60 available which kind of sucks if they went through the trouble of getting PNDK&M to commentate. I want new footage :(. And I want to know if GA has his flame arrow back. How cool would it be if DD4 was actually that boxing glove arrow and if it hits the opponent you get a wall bounce? Haha.

Oh, come on, lol! XD Yes, of the "Action". Pics like this, you know:

Injustice 2 is a great looking game (probably, haven't seen it in person yet), some free promo with lots of awesome screenshots shared by fans wouldn't do the game any harm... Look at Horizon.
Hehe , just yanking your chain. We already have DoA: Xtreme for people who are fond of that kind of action.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think the problem lies mainly in the fact that it's a 2D fighter. In 3D fighters, the stage are fully 3-dimensional and so the camera is expected to show the stages from every possible angle.

In 2D fighters, the stages are designed with the fixed camera in mind. If they did implement a photo-mode, they would only be able to zoom in and out, but we wouldn't be able to change the camera angles. If they did allow us to, then they would need to put in unnecessary work to add a separate layer to the stage that will never ever be visible in gameplay. If you can't even change the camera angle then really what's the point of a photo mode.

It'a nifty concept, and might work in some games (Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is I believe rendered in 3D with Sprites and does change camera angles for the win poses) but I don't know how effective that would be.

Something like a model viewer would be amazing but then again, we already have that in the gear select screen.
Injustice 2 lighting and stage design is so good.It is looking to be one of best graphical showcase this gen imo.
Agreed, it is straight up one of the best looking fighting games EVER. A lot of 2D fighters look great mainly due to their artstyle and insanely detailed sprites/animations but this is the one 3D rendered fighting games that keep blowing me away with how good everything looks.

They nailed it both in terms of art and technical presentation.

vg260

Injustice 2 lighting and stage design is so good.It is looking to be one of best graphical showcase this gen imo.

I played the beta, and it really is one of the nicest looking fighters at least. People pan NR because it's a meme at this point, but MKX was an awesome looking game and it didn't get the credit it deserved. This looks a step up, and their chatacter models have been on point save for a few nitpicks. All the little details, animations, and lighting in the stages are quite nice. I just wish the "cinematic" stuff wasn't 30 fps. That's my biggest gripe.

Tyaren

I think the problem lies mainly in the fact that it's a 2D fighter. In 3D fighters, the stage are fully 3-dimensional and so the camera is expected to show the stages from every possible angle.

In 2D fighters, the stages are designed with the fixed camera in mind. If they did implement a photo-mode, they would only be able to zoom in and out, but we wouldn't be able to change the camera angles. If they did allow us to, then they would need to put in unnecessary work to add a separate layer to the stage that will never ever be visible in gameplay. If you can't even change the camera angle then really what's the point of a photo mode.

I think it could still work quite well. You wouldn't be able to rotate the camera to 360° but to 180°. In the character intros and outros we can see that the stages are modelled to at least 180° surrounding the characters.
The game will very likely not feature a photomode anyway, but NR Studios could at least give us the option to pause during gameplay or replays, turn off the HUD and maybe even have a CPU vs CPU option in addition to the player vs. CPU feature.
There is at least a player vs. CPU option, right? XD I still can't believe Street Fighter V released without that mode. I sold the game after a couple of days for that reason.

They nailed it both in terms of art and technical presentation.
Completely agree. I usually find NR Studios fighters aesthetically very unappealing, actually ugly. This is the first one that looks great, especially the characters. For that reason this one will be my first NR Studios fighting game. :)

sinkfla87

Hehe , just yanking your chain. We already have DoA: Xtreme for people who are fond of that kind of action.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yankin your chain and DOA go hand in hand.
I just did a triple entendre? Haha. I'll shut up now :(

I think it could still work quite well. You wouldn't be able to rotate the camera to 360° but to 180°. In the character intros and outros we can see that the stages are modelled to at least 180° surrounding the characters.
The game will very likely not feature a photomode anyway, but NR Studios could at least give us the option to pause during gameplay or replays, turn off the HUD and maybe even have a CPU vs CPU option in addition to the player vs. CPU feature.
There is at least a player vs. CPU option, right? XD I still can't believe Street Fighter V released without that mode. I sold the game after a couple of days.

If they add a replay functionality then I would be straight up surprised if they don't add a pause ability. Most fighting games with replays include pause, fast forward and next/previous frame options as standard these days.

Yeah SF5 didn't have vs CPU option at launch outside of Survival. They do now though but it's just for regular VS, there's no arcade mode or anything like that.

Yankin your chain and DOA go hand in hand.
hehe

While that game does have a bit of a reputation in that regard, I actually think they do it pretty smart by releasing so much cosmetic DLC. Some of it can get a bit egregious but a lot of it is catering to a decent chunk of people. Like a Chinese dress themed DLC pack for the female fighters is something I'd gladly buy for most fighting games I play.

Slaythe

For the record, GGxrd Revelator has a free camera mode and a gallery photo mode where you can place the characters where you want with the pose you want etc... angles and zoom + lightning control.

The game is full 3D, not using sprites.

They are wizards.

Top Bottom