• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Not all of Africa is black...

Yes I am very well aware of that, but how else did you want me to phrase it just so I had all my bases covered. You know what I meant. African can mean nationality or it can mean ethnicity (which is a word with different meanings depending on region).

Edit: Don't jump me with the African isn't a country point because Asian and Latino gets used often even though there is huge diversity among those regions too.

You can't just narrow down being black to just either skin tone, heritage or culture. It means different things in different places to different people.

And none of that really has anything with what I was saying. It has nothing to do with what black is or isn't, but with what these squids could be.

Which is why I am asking you what you consider to be black. We can't have this conversation unless you say what you think black is. Otherwise, to the rest of us that apply that term to skin colour, you make no sense.

Dereck

I would like to introduce you all to this age's new Claudette Colvin
C9-1-DdUwAEgu25.jpg

look her up

I hope that face is loved by all, I am going to use that one online to kick all yo asses XD
LdR1w0f.png

Izuna

Banned
But Mario is, for some reason, an italian man. I think if you label a character with an actual earth nationality then anyone from that franchise suddenly represents humans from reality. There's zero excuse for the Mario universe to have only one skin tone at this point.

He's decided Italian because of how the character came about, his name, and ultimately that he is mentioned as being Italian. But he cannot be, technically, since there's no Italy in the Mario world (unless there's some weird lore I am not aware of).

This is a fun conversation but since there's fuckery going on I'm going to focus on other post for now, haha.

Platy

I am totaly sure that nintendo didn't think that inkling as a black person.
Nintendo love their own bellybuttons and japan is a very racist country considering how nationalist they are.

THAT BEING SAID, death of the author works pretty well for representation in media.

If a black kid look at that inkling and feel better about themselves, than it was totally worth it =D

Crocodile

My angle is exactly what you said here. I agree with this completely lol. More representation is good but it doesn't do enough for a company that makes exclusively white human characters.

Why make the Black Yoshi comparison then? Its so dumb that it kind of borders on offensive. You of all people should know better. People were happy when you could make Inklings of various skintones in Splatoon. People are happy this was continued when Inklings were brought into Mario Kart. Aside from noting "Nintendo could still do better in other respects" what is there to say? Like sure it would be cool if like I dunno, Olivia from Pokemon S&M was in Mario Kart but we know that was never going to happen months ago when we knew the roster of this game. Maybe I'm on edge since so much nonsense has been posted in this thread but I really don't think that comparison from you helped >_<

Izuna

Banned
I am totaly sure that nintendo didn't think that inkling as a black person.
Nintendo love their own bellybuttons and japan is a very racist country considering how nationalist they are.

THAT BEING SAID, death of the author works pretty well for representation in media.

If a black kid look at that inkling and feel better about themselves, than it was totally worth it =D

1. What makes you sure?

2. Have you BEEN to Japan or watched TV? Mainstream Japanese media is increasingly inclusive and informative about diversity.

3. While I agree that Japan is a very, very racist country, Nintendo aren't Johnny's

Sega already beat Nintendo to having black people in their mascot racing game.

Hint:
He's not Knuckles

Or Shadow

I don't think Black People want to be monkeys or apes we never said Donkey Kong was a representation of us so how can Sega beat Nintendo in this regard?

Who are you referring to? Please don't tell me you picked the monkey ball monkey pls

Unfortunate picture...

I know you meant the Crazy Taxi dude but...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ociMBfkDG1w

he should have hinted he likes shiny yellow things
I mean how can you say crazy taxi guy without a yellow cab?

mlclmtckr

Banned
Wait why are people aurging that the inking aren't black.?

Because if you believe that their blackness is imagined or made up or a tan or not applicable because squid or whatever then you can still play a video game with no black characters which is apparently really important for some people.

Hotsuma

I don't think Black People want to be monkeys or apes we never said Donkey Kong was a representation of us so how can Sega beat Nintendo in this regard?

Who are you referring to? Please don't tell me you picked the monkey ball monkey pls

I'm hoping he was talking about BD Joe from Crazy Taxi....

1. What makes you sure?

2. Have you BEEN to Japan or watched TV? Mainstream Japanese media is increasingly inclusive and informative about diversity.

3. While I agree that Japan is a very, very racist country, Nintendo aren't Johnny's

Funnily enough, when I was in Japan I'd watch a little tv in the hotel room in the mornings and evenings, and I did see at least 3 black people during kid's programming and random variety shows. Not including the black guy who shows up in a series of cell phone commercials. Not a staggering number, but considering how little tv I watched overall it was more than I expected to see.

And none of them were thugs or the Bob Sapp-ish "big, kinda dumb/weird guy" archetypes, so double win.

I'm hoping he was talking about BD Joe from Crazy Taxi....

Lol, at first I was like "....UM, BRO" but then I saw the green shades. I guess just an unfortunate character being featured on the right there.

Yes I am very well aware of that, but how else did you want me to phrase it just so I had all my bases covered. You know what I meant. African can mean nationality or it can mean ethnicity (which is a word with different meanings depending on region).

Which is why I am asking you what you consider to be black. We can't have this conversation unless you say what you think black is. Otherwise, to the rest of us that apply that term to skin colour, you make no sense.

I mean africa has non black ethnicities as well.

I don't really get what you're saying in the second part. Black is only skin color to you? Then what about light skinned black people? Do you tell them they're not black? Because that's kind of messed up man.

Yeah, they're black.

Could be, could not be.

How is the skin tone "ambiguously" brown? It's clearly brown unless you're color blind

Google ambiguously brown.

Izuna

Banned
I mean africa has non black ethnicities as well.

I don't really get what you're saying in the second part. Black is only skin color to you? Then what about light skinned black people? Do you tell them they're not black? Because that's kind of messed up man.

Either you're trolling

Or read my posts again until you have some sense

DarkKyo

Why make the Black Yoshi comparison then? Its so dumb that it kind of borders on offensive. You of all people should know better. People were happy when you could make Inklings of various skintones in Splatoon. People are happy this was continued when Inklings were brought into Mario Kart. Aside from noting "Nintendo could still do better in other respects" what is there to say? Like sure it would be cool if like I dunno, Olivia from Pokemon S&M was in Mario Kart but we know that was never going to happen months ago when we knew the roster of this game. Maybe I'm on edge since so much nonsense has been posted in this thread but I really don't think that comparison from you helped >_<

My point was more so that the discussion of skin tone is irrelevant when it comes to the discussion of actual human representation when you're not talking about humanity or a direct fantasy analog to the human race, but not irrelevant to the notion of inclusion and diversity when you're talking about a completely fantastical race. Yoshis are obviously not meant to be direct human analogs and so I wasn't equating black yoshis to black humans at all. However, I really don't see anything offensive about someone relating to black yoshis as a fantasy-analog of their own racial background if it makes them happy and gives them a connection to the game. I feel the same way about inklings, though I will admit that inklings are obviously meant to be more human-looking than yoshis are. Even so, I see black inklings and black yoshis in a similar light: fantasy beings with different skin tones/colors illustrating that diversity is a thing and that all tones are participating and relating to each other equally. Why even give yoshis a range of skin colors if not to show that they are both members of different families and members of the same race/species and community? I don't think the comparison of yoshis to inklings is nearly as offensive as you think it is.

Wiped89

The inklings are obviously meant to be black. How is this even an argument?

And there are black people in Pokemon too now. Several in X/Y and Sun/Moon.

Welcome to new, modern Nintendo.

Oh, I didn't realize this poor squid woman identified as black.

My bad.

I didn't know you guys spoke for them.
Fucks sake. Why the fuck do y'all have to just piss all over any and every opportunity for ANY character of color being interpreted as such.

Like god damn. This is ridiculous. Honestly ridiculous.

Fucks sake. Why the fuck do y'all have to just piss all over any and every opportunity for ANY character of color being interpreted as such.

Like god damn. This is ridiculous. Honestly ridiculous.

It's a squid, too. That's what really kills me. Heaven forbid that a squid be BLACK. KingGilga must've clutched those pearls as soon as he read the thread title.

"Not in my shooter..."

Izuna

Banned
Oh, I didn't realize this poor squid woman identified as black.

My bad.

I didn't know you guys spoke for them.

I have a question

I have a brother, who is as blit as Will Smith

He got a white dad, and a Mother who is at most 1/4 Jamaican

Is he black?

I'll give you an extension. No wrong answers, just provide your working for the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom