• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Clementine from The Walking Dead black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Months after playing Telltale's The Walking Dead with my friend, we were talking about great Clementine was and I referenced her rareness of being a black female character, to which he replied that he always saw her as a little Asian girl. A quick trip to the internet didn't turn up anything explicitly telling, and we still disagree on what race she is. Her features and hair strike me as black, possibly with some white in her background given her paleness. Also, a picture of her parents shows they are both black, and there's the fact that everybody in the game just assumes she's Lee's daughter. I heard a rumor
from my friend
that Clementine was adopted, which if true could make her being half white more likely.

My friend is adamant that she is Asian, with her hair resembling that of someone from the China area, and any additional race being white at the most; no possibility of any black in her, he just doesn't see that at all. He also says the way he views the game is changed with the idea that she wasn't Asian.

What do you think, GAF? Is Clementine black//Asian/mixed race? Are there any other characters from games that have such a disputed racial background? Not ones that are just ambiguously brown, but in a setting were people have realistic racial and/or ethnic characteristics and are implied to be of a certain group of people. Also, if anything is explicitly revealed in Season 2 of the game, please spoiler tag that shit.

There's a picture of her parents in the walking dead season 1 somewhere that makes it clear that she is- or at least biracial.

skgDg.png

jph139

Definitely assumed she was black... light-skinned, but he hair is a dead giveaway, I think.

Possibly mixed-raced but at least part black.

DedValve

Banned
She's definitely black but just very light skinned. EDIT: The developers even said that they changed her black (from who knows what) in order to bear more of a resemblance to Lee so there was justification in people assuming he's her kid (I could be wrong on that).

jiggles

Banned
Well, she looks a little Asian, and the whole reason she reached out to Lee in the first place is because he looks like her dad, so I'd assume she's supposed to be a black/asian mix.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Her father looks black and her mother looks Asian/black. Clem seems to take after her mother more in appearance.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
There's a picture of her parents in the walking dead season 1 somewhere that makes it clear that she is- or at least biracial.

skgDg.png

Yeah, the mother could be part white, or even just really pale.

Black.

But I could see half-black, half-asian.

The Asian part I only really see from the game's art style giving Clementine somewhat pointed eyes, but I never thought for a second she was Asian at all.

I never really thought about that until just now... and I still don't really care.

Great contribution.

I just thought of her as bi-racial or light-skinned black because of her picture with her dad.

Never made much of an effort to determine which though.

I can't remember where from so it might be complete bullshit, but I swear I heard that at one point TWD was going to have you playing as a teen boy protecting your younger sister Clementime, with both characters at the time being asian american. Could've just been they didn't change Clem's character design enough to make her new ethnicity obvious, especially given TWD's ultra-stylized look.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I hope not. How am I supposed to be emotionally engaged by Season 2 if I can't relate to the protagonist?

Vice

She's black, takes after her mom when it comes to skin tone. Happens all the time in the black community.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Is there anyone that doesn't see any of her features as black at all? I just don't understand how you can look at her and not even consider her being black for a second, especially given the setting of the game and the material evidence of the family photo.

Seemed obviously black. I'm actually stunned that there's even any doubt about it.

Me too. My friend says there's no way in hell she's black.

bengraven

I always thought she was black.

Then seeing the pictures of her parents confirmed it.

She's black.

Sorry anti-Rue people.

Damn, she probably is all black then. I never paid attention to that picture.

Almost certainly. The dad is CLEARLY black, and it's a really tough sell for the mother to be anything but a light skinned black woman with those features.

My friend is adamant that she is Asian, with her hair resembling that of someone from the China area, and any additional race being white at the most; no possibility of any black in her, he just doesn't see that at all. He also says the way he views the game is changed with the idea that she wasn't Asian.

You know how I know your friend is racist?

aly

Seemed obviously black when I played the game. I'm actually stunned that there's even any doubt about it.

Me too. She's just a light skinned black girl. There are plenty of those around. Black people come in all types of shades ad facial features.

I dithered between thinking she was black and white. On the one hand, her parents appear black. On the other hand, she actually gets media attention when she's in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom