• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Clementine from The Walking Dead black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I thought she was part black from my first play-through, I did get the sense that Telltale wanted to make her as ambiguous as possible, so everyone could feel a connection to her, regardless of race.

This is so damn depressing to see on the latest page.

That people still don't see how not only wrong/racist this is, but how it is simply not the case. She's definitely designed to be a black girl. I mean by that logic Lee wouldn't be black so that people could more easily insert themselves into his shoes.

I don't see how intentionally confusing a child's race allows the audience to connect better with that child. I don't know on what planet that makes sense but it's not planet Earth

DedValve

Banned
If Clementine was designed to be ambiguous so that anyone can relate to her they would have put her in a damn green jumpsuit and not make her skin black, her parents black, her guardian (lee) black.

Chic is black, if anything we may (I stress may) be seeing a case of "not too black" (how do I link text?) in which they made her very lightskinned to make her more "approachable" but that doesn't change the fact that she was clearly designed to be black.

She looks like a little bit of everything to me. Maybe that's the idea. Create one character everyone instinctively feels is in their kin!

I see 0 latina, middle-eastern, european, or native american qualities in her and outside the eyes (which isn't exclusive to asians and a lot of other characters have due to the artstyle) there are no asian qualities in her either. She's pretty black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom