• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Clementine from The Walking Dead black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

I'm not doubting the importance or legitimacy of BHM. Not at all (though I believe such matters should be held regularly without a special event or special name, overall with less taboos and fear in the discussion). I just read a lot during previous BHMs that was clearly with an afrocentric agenda and downright bullshit but had plenty of advocates. Nobody can tell me that stuff doesn't get favorable views or has little following.

No one is suggesting revisionists of any group (black or otherwise) don't exist or don't have a following. But what you need to understand is that BHM is not bound to any movement/group and is something US schools/media all over the country participate in, and this includes corporations like Google and Viacom. US education, media, and corporations do not and would not participate/celebrate any black figures or actions by these figures that aren't factual. So overall, the average US citizen and yourself if you were to visit this country and be educated in our education system during BHM, would be getting accurate/real info on black historical figures.

I hope so. :(

lol

Definitely sarcasm. It's something I find funny with the voice acting in games and animation for black characters, it even shows up in real life too sometimes. I had a friend remark recently upon meeting another friend from out of town that "she doesn't sound black at all". I smiled and nodded, while screaming internally.

breakfuss

Black people only come in Mahogany or darker.

If you ain't Wesley Snipes dark, have a wide nose and some big lips....you're probably like mixed or something.

Terrible, terrible posts. WHO said this?

So what is this about? Honestly, I'm kinda lost now lol.

Speaking strictly for myself here. There's no question that Clem is Black. We saw the family portrait and it's confirmed on the wiki page. Nothing is being disputed here.

I know there are Black people who look like Clem. Just as I know Black people can look like damned near anything. But, no, I do not believe the majority of self-identifying Black Americans look like her. Does that make her any less Black, or worthy of being presented as such? Hell no. I would never say something so foolish. I just find her design rather interesting given the existing dearth of black female characters. Yeah, I may have briefly thought, "is that the best they could do?" And I'm not just talking about her freaking complexion. It's even stranger when you see the portrait of her family. Some of you apparently see it at as TellTale having a nuanced take on race and, well, uh...I don't agree. I think they purposely gave her an ambiguous and "neutral" look, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I question it, but I don't have a problem.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
lol

Definitely sarcasm. It's something I find funny with the voice acting in games and animation for black characters, it even shows up in real life too sometimes. I had a friend remark recently upon meeting another friend from out of town that "she doesn't sound black at all". I smiled and nodded, while screaming internally.

Okay phew.

And wow... I dunno, what's a black person supposed to sound like? You should have asked her lol

Infinite

lol

one of the many microagressions we face daily.

Speaking strictly for myself here. There's no question that Clem is Black. We saw the family portrait and it's confirmed on the wiki page. Nothing is being disputed here.

I know there are Black people who look like Clem. Just as I know Black people can look like damned near anything. But, no, I do not believe the majority of self-identifying Black Americans look like her. Does that make her any less Black, or worthy of being presented as such? Hell no. I would never say something so foolish. I just find her design rather interesting given the existing dearth of black female characters. Yeah, I may have briefly thought, "is that the best they could do?" And I'm not just talking about her freaking complexion, God. It's even stranger when you see the portrait of her family. Some of you apparently see it at as TellTale having a nuanced take on race and, well, uh...I don't agree. I think they purposely gave her an ambiguous and "neutral" look, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I question it, but I don't have a problem.

basically you're confused that they made a black character light skin, there is no reason to assume that they made her a neutral character

lol

To be fair her voice actress is White. :p

But yeah, I getcha. It was mannerisms, not the voice itself.

Miguel81

If you ain't Wesley Snipes dark, have a wide nose and some big lips....you're probably like mixed or something.

Peter Mensah must be mixed then.
/s

peter-mensah-50th-monte-carlo-tv-festival-01.jpg

Sneds

Eighteen pages

18 of them

It's probably more valuable and worthwhile to have a discussion about ideas of race than it is to have endless conversations about the future of the Wii U. And I say this as someone who has taken part in many Wii U threads.

JP

Does it really matter what colour her skin is? If her race was at all relevant to the game the game would cover those details, the reason it doesn't cover them is because it doesn't matter.

I know there are Black people who look like Clem. Just as I know Black people can look like damned near anything. But, no, I do not believe the majority of self-identifying Black Americans look like her. Does that make her any less Black, or worthy of being presented as such? Hell no. I would never say something so foolish. I just find her design rather interesting given the existing dearth of black female characters. Yeah, I may have briefly thought, "is that the best they could do?" And I'm not just talking about her freaking complexion. It's even stranger when you see the portrait of her family. Some of you apparently see it at as TellTale having a nuanced take on race and, well, uh...I don't agree. I think they purposely gave her an ambiguous and "neutral" look, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I question it, but I don't have a problem.

Who said this?

Then you go into a rant about how she doesn't look like a majority of black people. I can't lol.

As if a good portion of this thread hasn't been the paper bag test.

Ploid 3.0

what does the majority of them look like?

I'm betting the way they look in Hollywood movies or on the news. Tee hee.

Transformers IX Caster: Sorry you're not black enough. Imagine the length of the gaf thread if they find out you're supposed to be black. You also don't sound black, your black accent is lacking.

I think when you have zombies trying to eat you, one's skin color is just a topic of non-importance.

Maybe I'm just crazy to look at the bigger picture here

Sneds

I think when you have zombies trying to eat you, one's skin color is just a topic of non-importance.

Maybe I'm just crazy to look at the bigger picture here

Doesn't the issue of race play a part in the story of The Walking Dead game? I know that the creators have said that they put a lot of thought into Lee's race. At various points in the game, characters ask Lee if Clementine is his daughter. The possibility of Clementine being Lee's biological daughter also makes race relevant.

i figured she was mixed. i don't even remember seeing her family picture though. didn't really matter though. the most specific reference to race that i can recall came from Larry.

NoPiece

I wonder how many people who have played Walking Dead have seen the original Night of the Living Dead which had a lot of racial subtext. And the ending
white rednecks shooting the black protagonist
was much more than subtext.

Saya Brea

Banned
I've never even questioned whether or not Clementine was black. I thought it was widely regarded as fact.

It wouldn't really have any effect on the story if she were mixed though, would it?

Cromat

Race is a social construct and there's not much to it. There is more genetic variation among populations of chimpanzees than among humans. Human populations have not been isolated for an evolutionary-significant period of time.

Going from black to white and back again takes 4-5 generations of 'interbreeding'. The cosmetic features of a human are only a small part of our genome, but we impose a bunch of shit on top of them. The only reason there is a actually identities such as white/black/asian is that people are shit to one another based on those features.

RedSwirl

Nah....I thought the same when there was a thread in OT questioning Rihanna's blackness. I'm sure we'll be right back on square one pretty soon. Sheva from RE5 is a bit overdue for her own thread.

I've already read articles that devoted a sentence or two to questioning Sheva's "African-ness" due to her skin color an "Australian accent."

jerry1594

Man she's black. Give it a fucking rest. Black people can range from albino to dark as ink. This isn't advanced chemistry.

ReiGun

Who is she referring too?
A character named Rue from "The Hunger Games." Fans of the book were confused when the character was black in the movie because they pictured her as white (even though the author herself said she was black and described her as such in the text).

Cryoflar3

Hunger Games character. Was a minor outcry when she turned out to be black in the first film.

A character named Rue from "The Hunger Games." Fans of the book were confused when the character was black in the movie because they pictured her as white (even though the author herself said she was black and described her as such in the text).

Thank you gentlemen/ladies.

DC1

Wow.
It was all jokes and giggles on the first few pages. But 18+ pages later, I'm a little amazed at the legs of this 'question'.

First: There shouldn't be an issue of her blackness. She's black even if you adhere to the unsubstantiated adopted interracial theory.

Second: What is this investigative desire to make Clem (An African american co-lead in a very successfully game where the lead also happens to be African american) something other than black?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
See, I don't agree with all of this here. Most people view and understand their world from their own experiences and the cultural elements they encounter and identify every day.

I agree 100% with this much. But what you don't seem to be taking into account here is that limited experience can result in a limited perspective, which I think is what is the main reason behind what is happening here.

Have you really asked yourself "self, why are quite a few people identifying Clem as asian"?
If the answer you're coming up with is, "well I don't think people can internally handle a light skinned black girl" I don't think that correct in a lot of cases here. For some, maybe.

I have asked myself that. but that wasn't one of the answers I came up with.

I don't have one that applies to every case, but the one I think applies to most of the responses in this thread is that people noticed features that lined up with features they associate with Asians rather than Black. Most commonly the slanted eyes and skin tone.

and while I think that conclusion is also a bit colored by racism personally, that's not the main issue of the thread and what most of the participants are criticizing. The problem isn't how people identified her, it's how they reacted when they found out what was intended. Instead of just expanding their world view to include Clementine's look and complexion as one they could identify as black, people instead decide to come up with all these excuses like I said. From "She's mixed" or "she was based on an asian girl" to the more extreme "does this look black to you?", "do these people look like they're from the same race?" and "she doesn't have any black features".

We've had a lot of responses of people that thought she was black, asian, hispanic, white, etc. I'm more curious to know why Telltale designed her in such a way that she is considered ethnically ambiguous. Were they worried that the audience couldn't relate to a child that was darker skinned? Was there another reason behind it?

I....don't think she's ethnically ambiguous at all. (To me that's just another excuse people are coming up with to explain why they got it wrong)

I just think they designed a black character without all the typical features of black people in video games.

and as a result you have alot of confused people who didn't pick up on her ethnicity because her look doesn't fit into their world view of what people from that group typically look like. Especially in video games.

Basically I think Telltale tried to make a black character who's defining character traits weren't that she was black.(Like pretty much every other example in the medium) It seems they did their job too well though and as a result exposed some things about their audience.

breakfuss

basically you're confused that they made a black character light skin, there is no reason to assume that they made her a neutral character

Yes, I am totally mystified by her bright, luminous skin.

what does the majority of them look like?

Who said this?

Then you go into a rant about how she doesn't look like a majority of black people. I can't lol.

As if a good portion of this thread hasn't been the paper bag test.

So saying that the majority of Black people don't look like Clementine is the same as saying all Blacks look the same? Or better, that all Blacks resemble Wesley Snipes? Gotcha. It's not like I suggested there exists some kind of negro pokedex. Just simply taking a wild guess that on the bell curve of Black (American) identity, Clementine falls somewhere on the very tail end. An end that could easily be shared with a number of other racial identities. Obviously color lines are shifting. The notion or image of Blackness has never been a constant. Given the history of black media portrayal, though, it's a fairly sensitive subject. Colorism is real. Under- and mis-representation are real. Should TellTale or any developer have to walk on eggshells because of it? Absolutely not. They could have made her orange and I wouldn't thought twice about it. But, yeah, when I discovered that she is in fact a little Black girl, it gave me pause since she could damn near be considered a lot of things. There may be nothing more to it, but unfortunately that's not the way I always view these matters. Doesn't make me ignorant.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
She's my complexion and I'm black!! My dad is Creole so he's has very light skin!! My mom is darker though!!

soooooooooo yeah!!

Fist bump!

My dad is also Creole (and Samoan), and my mom is Black, and somewhat darker skinned. My mom also has red hair and freckles, but me and my sisters do not have red hair (but we do have very hard to see freckles on our cheeks.

"Not sounding black" is the story of my life in a nutshell. Very, very frustrating. I'm also "well spoken" apparently...

As a black man I feel real stupid right now I thought Clementine was Asian. Even saw the picture of her family and everything on both play throughs.

FUCK no. jesus.

Outside of a few rare exceptions like the cosby show, Minorities tended to show up as one off token characters (alfonso ribiero in silver spoons, Benson in "soap", etc) in the midst of an all white cast.

Current television is a lot more diverse, but it's still not perfect.
I agree with this in principle, but one thing previous decades has on us now is there were a lot more shows with black leads/predominantly black casts than today (and I mean they are the face of the show like Kerry Washington on Scandal, not like Diggle on Arrow where he's at best the second or third lead on the show). Outside of the Shonda Rhimes ABC shows, there are very few on network television.
I'm just saying that if she was meant to be portrayed as a black character, then TellTale did a poor job of portraying that in the art.
Except they didn't. There are plenty of black people that look like Clementine. She doesn't need more "black" features to denote that she is black, as not all blacks have those stereotypical features. There was also plenty of other evidence of this fact. Like:
-Aforementioned photo of family
-Everyone automatically assuming she was Lee's daughter, and being surprised when they found out she wasn't
-The setting, while not definitive, does raise the likelihood of her being African American, over being, say, Asian American
-That kinky hair
Making a character have features and characteristics of one race then having other stuff say she's another is confusing, even for people not ignorant of racial matters. The fact that so many other people in this thread had the same thought proves that her design is at odds with the writing.

Also, I always assumed people thought she was his daughter because it was a full grown man walking around with a little girl. It's a reasonable assumption.
There has never been a time in the history of this country where this assumption would be true, even today! Even a white man walking down the street with a little Asian girl would get plenty of stares from people. You think a black man doing the same would be considered less suspicious?!
While I understand the artsyle thing, that comparison of Glen and Clementine immediately makes me think he's Asian and she is not.
Precisely.

That comparison of Glen and Clem does nothing for me. His eyes has more of that stereotypical slant eyes thing going on than Clem, whose eyes are not nearly the same shape. And yes, I did play through the whole game (just beat it yesterday, actually, so it's all still fresh in my mind).
I (he's probably the same) acknowledge she's got light black skin, honey eyes and dark, curly hair. I, too, (and I guess the guy you're quoting too) consider this as important as if she had short hair and thin lips. I can honestly say the skin color of someone is as relevant to me as the hair/eyes color of a cat.

I swear some people just don't want racism to end, black people included.
Talking about race is not, by definition, racism or a racist act. Look, people are different. They are from different places, have different skin tones, have different features, body parts and sexual orientations. Pointing out the differences shouldn't be looked at as anathema. Using those differences to explicitly divide us should. We shouldn't act like we are all the same. I like my heritage. I like that my father is from the Caribbean and has different lineage than my mother (and the pic of Clem's mom could be my mom as well, she is that light skinned). The fact that all my grandparents have different backgrounds and ethnicities. I love my heritage. Acting like it doesn't matter and that we shouldn't even acknowledge it diminishes all of that. We shouldn't be worried about this. We should be more worried about learning how to tolerate all of the differences in ourselves. Cause once we stop worrying about whether you are better than me, understanding can begin and we can all get along.

I think that's a lot better of a solution than for all of us to stop seeing differences in ourselves.
No. She looks like a little black girl with natural hair and light skin. Just not the type of little black girl that the mostly white male Telltale audience and Neogaf community is used to seeing represented in media.

It was no secret if you paid any attention at all to the context of the game.

But instead of stopping for just a minute to reflect on the idea that hey, maybe the fact that I assumed this black girl was mixed because she doesn't fit the definition of what a black girl is in my world view might be a teensy tiny bit racist/prejudice/problematic, people in this thread are instead more willing to double down on their misconceptions and reaffirm each other that they aren't wrong. It's the game's fault for not being clear in its art style or its narrative of her ethnicity. White is default right?

and nothing was learned. The world keeps on turning.
I don't think it was either of these things, in most of the cases in this thread. I think it comes moreso from ignorance. Ignorance has a negative connotation, when it shouldn't. The ignorant person isn't necessarily being mean spirited or malicious. With the lack of knowledge comes the lack of being able to possibly know the truth. That's why this drive by many people to think talking about differences in race and ethnicity is bad and only brings about racism is the wrong way to go. It can lead to people thinking that Rue was a small, innocent, pure little blond white girl, when she is not. Yeah, that was partially due to poor reading comprehension on the part of the offenders, but the point still stands.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Or turns into a Cyborg

Goddamn, I was just talking about that today! Is that the new "black guy with electricity powers"? It's like black people are seen as "more human" when they're made half robot. Also the description of "black guy who was turned into a cyborg" seems to call attention to race more to me for some reason.

I agree with this in principle, but one thing previous decades has on us now is there were a lot more shows with black leads/predominantly black casts than today (and I mean they are the face of the show like Kerry Washington on Scandal, not like Diggle on Arrow where he's at best the second or third lead on the show). Outside of the Shonda Rhimes ABC shows, there are very few on network television.

In recent episodes, he's been demoted from right-hand man to adviser/conscience. The angel on Ollie's shoulder spitballing ideas
that are wrong

I don't think it was either of these things, in most of the cases in this thread. I think it comes moreso from ignorance. Ignorance has a negative connotation, when it shouldn't. The ignorant person isn't necessarily being mean spirited or malicious. With the lack of knowledge comes the lack of being able to possibly know the truth. That's why this drive by many people to think talking about differences in race and ethnicity is bad and only brings about racism is the wrong way to go. It can lead to people thinking that Rue was a small, innocent, pure little blond white girl, when she is not. Yeah, that was partially due to poor reading comprehension on the part of the offenders, but the point still stands.

Similar to the pony art revelation, I learned yesterday that some people don't see the words "very dark skin" as referring to black people at all. Apparently nobody unseen fiction is black unless explicitly stated to be so.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
To be fair to TellTale, many black people look like Clem your question to them isn't all that interesting to me. Being black doesn't equal looking like Quvenzhané Wallis

Fair point. I'm assuming ambiguity = intent, when its more likely people are interpreting the art style differently.

lots of stuff

Good response. I'll admit that I thought your responses were making it sound like people who thought Clem was asian were closet racists, but you laid it out and I can't disagree

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The real problem is that, despite the fact that the might look black, she doesn't sound black. If Telltale only had the foresight to have her refer to other female characters as "girlfriend", and say "aight", all of this unpleasantness might have been avoided entirely.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom