• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Alright, I usually don't engage in these kind of discussions because I don't have a horse in this race, but for me personally, when it comes to games like MK I didn't think inclusion was that big of deal.

Before you crucify for me saying (and having my own opinion thank you) such things, immersive games like say Mass Effect would benefit more from having diversity and inclusion because you role play as the character that you identify with. Which they do a good job of. In a game like MK, I'm racing around a track throwing turtle shells at people. I can care less if I'm playing as a princess, plumber, dinosaur, or a person of different ethnicity than me.

A good case I've seen stated is younger generations will get to chose a avatar that they feel represents them. That's cool because when I was younger it WAS predominantly white characters (Link, Mega Man, Seamus, Mario, Cloud, Squall) and I don't know what it's like being person of different race/ethnicity, but I feel kids with their innocence won't really care either. They just see "Cool a dinosaur!" or "A princess!"

So if it means that much for you to have that kind of inclusivity in this kind of game, more power to you. For this guy, it isn't a requirement because of the nature of this game. Hence the "Ok."... not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to add some substance to my drive by comment.

Then why say anything?

Splatoon 2 already does that.
This is mascot for Splatoon 2.
inkling-girl-splatoon-2-37.4.jpg

Just did a quick google search and you're right, the tan/brown/black inkling girl does seem to be the focus of all the marketing, which is awesome! I just think it'd be really cool if for the next game the two characters on the box were people of color, including a dark-brown/black inkling (notice that the other cover art character is the white inkling boy).

Garnox

Edit: Bah! That comment came off as petty. I'll shut up now. I'm actually disappointed in myself for even posting that last one. Cheers.

Kebiinu

Banned
I honestly love topics like this, because it makes me realize just how many black brothers and PoC are on GAF. Represent, y'all! We about to be out here in our Inkling swag, tearing up these tracks!

Alright, I don't know what more you want of me. I explained my comment. Obviously it doesn't align with your viewpoint so you are quick to chastise me for having a opinion. You can have one, but I can't. Love the hypocrisy you're throwing my way. That's fine, another reason I don't engage in these kind of discussions because there's no constructive discussion to be had. I'll just go back to being a observer, good job driving out any kind of "opposing" views (even when clarified). Always gotta be sunshine and rainbows in life. Cheers to you all.

It's like going into a sales thread, complaining about why people care so much about sales. If the topic doesn't apply to you, dont post. Bye.

Edit: Too late, Garnox. Gotcha.

When Mario Kart 8 released back in 2014, I made fun of criticisms for the lack of diversity in the game, arguing "it's just Mario Kart, who really cares?" basically. I'm surprised I didn't get banned, honestly. I've completely changed my thinking since then and I hope the cast gets more and more diverse as time goes on.

When Mario Kart 8 released back in 2014, I made fun of criticisms for the lack of diversity in the game, arguing "it's just Mario Kart, who really cares?" basically. I'm surprised I didn't get banned, honestly. I've completely changed my thinking since then and I hope the cast gets more and more diverse as time goes on.
keikaku.jpg

Mediking

How is that trying to start shit more than people coming in here saying "I don't care" which eventually becomes "I'm white so it's never been an issue for me"?

Let's not forget the dumbass "agenda" narrative.

Damn. Can't we all just be happy for more options for representation?

Osukaa

So it just occurred to me that the darker skinned Inkling Boy and Girl variants are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart.

Unfortunately they're not the default skins, and it's still kind of sad it took this long, but hopefully this is a step forward for the series, which features a huge amount of humanoid characters who are pretty much all white.

As a person of brown descent and trying to not be banned on GAF from what I can tell the boy inkling seems to be more of a Hispa.. you know what nahh im not even gonna try to catch any heat from anyone here lol. Moving on im happy to have more options of skin colors in more games. Although ....Hmmm im kinda wondering though if Nintendo just means for them to be Ganguro instead of hinting at different races.

How is that trying to start shit more than people coming in here saying "I don't care" which eventually becomes "I'm white so it's never been an issue for me"?

I don't think you see people dismissing this but questioning why this is suddenly a landmark occasion. We should be talking moreso about Nintendo's necessity of adding PoC to their entire brand as opposed to this time that you can choose a character that can happen to have a different race in Mario Kart.

PoC representation is incredibly important. But this particular instance isn't enough. It's not even the main marketed visualization of the Inklings. Nintendo needs to create a franchise with all of this in mind.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This thread is embarrassing. Non-PoC just can't seem to understand the kind of rationalizing and internalizing that PoC kids go through growing up without people that look like them in their media.

Don't try to assume things you have no experience with.

PSqueak

Banned
Alright, I don't know what more you want of me. I explained my comment. Obviously it doesn't align with your viewpoint so you are quick to chastise me for having a opinion. You can have one, but I can't. Love the hypocrisy you're throwing my way. That's fine, another reason I don't engage in these kind of discussions because there's no constructive discussion to be had. I'll just go back to being a observer, good job driving out any kind of "opposing" views (even when clarified). Always gotta be sunshine and rainbows in life. Cheers to you all.

The thing is, your post comes off as "representation doesn't matters in mario kart as it matters in other games" which is a really dismissive comment, your example of Mass Effect, for example, if mass effect didn't have the option to play other races the backlash would indeed be bigger, but that doesn't mean a mascot racer like Mario Kart is less important in representation.

Representation matters, period, even if it is a mascot racer.

You wouldn't begin to understand how excited, as a mexican, i was when SSF2 came out and they had T. Hawk, who sucked and was a mexican only by technicality, but holy shit! there was a mexican dude in Street Fighter! It blew our fucking minds that SF was acknowledging mexico.

Hermii

You don't think, for a single second, that maybe the fact that there aren't any black characters in the Mario universe for Nintendo to pull from is, in fact, the thing people are upset about?

The Goombas are kind of black. I never realised Mario was this racist.

Black people are subhumans that only exists to be jumped on.

Damn. Can't we all just be happy for more options for representation?
This, basically. Nobody lost anything, everybody gained something whether it matters to them or not. 😂
I don't think you see people dismissing this but questioning why this is suddenly a landmark occasion. We should be talking moreso about Nintendo's necessity of adding PoC to their entire brand as opposed to this time that you can choose a character that can happen to have a different race in Mario Kart.

PoC representation is incredibly important. But this particular instance isn't enough. It's not even the main marketed visualization of the Inklings. Nintendo needs to create a franchise with all of this in mind.
That's the thing, though. This thread isn't saying "whew, racism is solved!", it's just saying "here is where things are at now".

The thing is, your post comes off as "representation doesn't matters in mario kart as it matters in other games" which is a really dismissive comment, your example of Mass Effect, for example, if mass effect didn't have the option to play other races the backlash would indeed be bigger, but that doesn't mean a mascot racer like Mario Kart is less important in representation.

Representation matters, period, even if it is a mascot racer.

You wouldn't begin to understand how excited, as a mexican, when SSF2 came out and they had T. Hawk, who sucked and was a mexican only by technicality, but holy shit! there was a mexican dude in Street Fighter! It blew our fucking minds that SF was acknowledging mexico.

This is all very true. Apologies for the insensitivity. Ultimately, the most important thing game makers can strive for is creating an environment of representation and equality.

lol people editing the hell out of their posts in here. People not caring about race and politics and going into threads about race and politics to tell people how much they don't care about race and politics.

Azure J

That's the thing, though. This thread isn't saying "whew, racism is solved!", it's just saying "here is where things are at now".

This is really what's getting lost in all this. I literally gave my own life experience with that bit I posted earlier about rationalizing that all my favorite gaming characters just weren't "like me" (as per how a 6-7 year old black boy would talk about the characters he regularly sees) and while it didn't take away from their legacy on my favorite hobby, it still was a thing where you felt "empty" because you didn't have that icon to grow up with. If I were that age nowadays with the black inklings being a thing, I'd be WILD hype genuinely and I'm super enthused that this is a generation where people would get to enjoy that option, as baby steps as it is/may seem.

The inklings is a good start and they did it in a way that does not offend anyone so I will forever like Splatoon for that

Tan/Brown/Black Inkling looks so much better than the White. This goes for Mario Kart and Splatoon itself.

this is the wrong direction to take the comments

Daouzin

What about this thread compelled you to express your apathy?

You edited this post right away, but I had to quote this question in your initial version.

It's such a good question. So many people that come in a thread like with a "meh" or "who cares?" response should ask themselves this question.

If someone posts about Mortal Kombat and how great this DLC character is, within the game. I don't go into that thread and post, "who cares?" or "why does it matter?" While I have zero interest in Mortal Kombat, I definitely don't need to let others know, I don't care. LOL

These people need to ask themselves why they care to state they don't care.

Azure J

if i have to manually tan my Animal Crossing Switch character i'm gonna freak out

If another Pokemon game comes out and I have to be that frothy/ashy ass "dark skin" option again...
Especially when they got it SO right with Hau in Sun/Moon...

lol people editing the hell out of their posts in here. People not caring about race and politics and going into threads about race and politics to tell people how much they don't care about race and politics.

The lack of self awareness among those posters is hilarious, and infuriating.

This is really what's getting lost in all this. I literally gave my own life experience with that bit I posted earlier about rationalizing that all my favorite gaming characters just weren't "like me" (as per how a 6-7 year old black boy would talk about the characters he regularly sees) and while it didn't take away from their legacy on my favorite hobby, it still was a thing where you felt "empty" because you didn't have that icon to grow up with. If I were that age nowadays with the black inklings being a thing, I'd be WILD hype genuinely and I'm super enthused that this is a generation where people would get to enjoy that option, as baby steps as it is/may seem.
Yep.

Like when I played Dragon Age Origins as a young teen who was just discovering that I was gay, having a game where I could not only romance other dudes but not be judged for it within that world was incredible.

I bet $100 you will eventually pick a non-Splatoon racer in Mario Kart, lol.

I bet you I will pick Link and Peach every once in a blue moon. I will pick the black inkling 99% of the time. You see my stats in madden 17 I only pick my hometown team green bay 100% of the time I done played over a 100 online ranked games. I try to stick with stuff I can relate to and show off. I'm proud.

Alright, I usually don't engage in these kind of discussions because I don't have a horse in this race, but for me personally, when it comes to games like MK I didn't think inclusion was that big of deal.

Before you crucify for me saying (and having my own opinion thank you) such things, immersive games like say Mass Effect would benefit more from having diversity and inclusion because you role play as the character that you identify with. Which they do a good job of. In a game like MK, I'm racing around a track throwing turtle shells at people. I can care less if I'm playing as a princess, plumber, dinosaur, or a person of different ethnicity than me.

A good case I've seen stated is younger generations will get to chose a avatar that they feel represents them. That's cool because when I was younger it WAS predominantly white characters (Link, Mega Man, Seamus, Mario, Cloud, Squall) and I don't know what it's like being person of different race/ethnicity, but I feel kids with their innocence won't really care either. They just see "Cool a dinosaur!" or "A princess!"

So if it means that much for you to have that kind of inclusivity in this kind of game, more power to you. For this guy, it isn't a requirement because of the nature of this game. Hence the "Ok."... not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to add some substance to my drive by comment.

Why are you speaking for young non-white kids? Non-white kids from a young age unfortunately realise they're different in societies that cater predominantly to white people. They get treated differently, and quickly realise what race is. They don't get to see themselves in the media they consume. When they get to, quite a portion of them will be excited.

Again, if it's not a requirement, then why not have inclusivity? There's no harm.

ChrisD

The inklings is a good start and they did it in a way that does not offend anyone so I will forever like Splatoon for that

this is the wrong direction to take the comments

I didn't mean any offense with it. Was going to back out of the post entirely just in case it came across wrong with my bad wording, but didn't. Sorry about that.

Don't really want to edit it though as it'd look even worse, so I'll just add that I am really glad that they pulled the great diversity from Splatoon into Mario Kart in the process of bringing the Inklings over.

Editing in real quick that I use a Tan Inkling in Splatoon because I feel they do look better. It's why I said Tan/Brown/Black. White white in the games doesn't look as nice to me, visually, as a tan white. And I'm just talking a notch or two to the right on the character creation. It just stood out to me when I saw the pics in the OP because I've played Splatoon for 600+ hours with a tan Inkling, so the white white Inkling doesn't look as good to me as all the other options. I hope I'm not coming across poorly here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom