• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about we stop labeling fictional video game characters are certain races, and come to realize that not all video game characters need to have HUMAN ethnicities?

the fact of the matter is that inklings are NOT human, and therefore human ethnicities do not apply to them.

OUYA FROOYA

this makes no sense dude. the whole point of video games is 'ROLE PLAYING'

Squids don't wear shoes or shot super soakers

so if you want your Squid to be black you have that option thanks to Nintendo

OUYA POOYA

You realize they're actually tanned Japanese characters, right? Japan usually makes it clear when characters are black.
cfcf6472a19207ff99f24c296f0ef9c8.jpg

how about we stop labeling fictional video game characters are certain races, and come to realize that not all video game characters need to have HUMAN ethnicities?

the fact of the matter is that inklings are NOT human, and therefore human ethnicities do not apply to them.

OUYA FROOYA
You're free to do that, the rest of us will not.

this makes no sense dude. the whole point of video games is 'ROLE PLAYING'

Squids don't wear shoes or shot super soakers

so if you want your Squid to be black you have that option thanks to Nintendo

OUYA POOYA

okay. okay okay okay. thats fine. but dont push down other player's throats what you like imagine. if you like projecting yourself onto a character and make them black, thats fine. but dont say that they are definitively black, because other non-black players may feel that they are not black.

aadiboy

Tanned Characters:
latest

b6d073ebc1da575c7b35d41f41e193dc.jpg

d26aab1ed483dedfb82ad77309a9a44aa52ed3c1_hq.jpg

Black characters:
tumblr_nny4scQC1J1tulhi5o1_400.png

4d31151815577631f34506d7cf41b216.jpg

latest

You may perceive those Splatoon characters as black, but truthfully, the Japanese designers who created them did not intend them to be black. Sometimes it's hard to remember that the way we perceive the race of a character in Japanese media is sometimes not the way the Japanese artists intended them to be perceived.

What? I actually want a Black Mario character. I'll settle for a Wario style separate character too.

My mistake then. Sorry.

Mario being black doesn't make sense though. His background is simple but well established. A new (black)character in Marioverse would be much better IMO.

mlclmtckr

Banned
okay. okay okay okay. thats fine. but dont push down other player's throats what you like imagine. if you like projecting yourself onto a character and make them black, thats fine. but dont say that they are definitively black, because other non-black players may feel that they are not black.

"Hey cool a video game character with a skin tone similar to mine"

"STOP SHOVING YOUR IMAGINATION DOWN MY THROAT"

doing the same

Nintendo needs a Diversity push, they could have easily added a black ARMS fighter too smh
Hey hey hey that's too fast man! Nintendo will get around to that in ARMS 3

My mistake then. Sorry.

Mario being black doesn't make sense though. His background is simple but well established. A new (black)character in Marioverse would be much better IMO.
Totes <puts on my hat that's alive>

are you like the inverse Rachel dolezal?
Tanned Characters:
latest

Black characters:
_dutch.jpg

latest

You may perceive those Splatoon characters as black, but truthfully, the Japanese designers who created them did not intend them to be black. Sometimes it's hard to remember that the way we perceive the race of a character in Japanese media is sometimes not the way the Japanese artists intended them to be perceived.
So if a character doesn't have a fro, rows or giant lips, they're not REALLY black.

Cool.

OUYA FROOYA

you cant compare race to gender.

thats a fallacy.
pwned

For someone with the username "TheProphet", your myopia is pretty ironic.

So if a character doesn't have a fro, rows or giant lips, they're not REALLY black.

Cool.

Glad I'm not the only one who could only interpret that post that way....

Basketball

Tanned Characters:
latest

Black characters:
_dutch.jpg

latest

chika_minazuki_4712.jpg

aadiboy

Cool.
Hey, I'm not the one who drew those characters. This is like people perceiving Piccolo as black in DBZ. It's fine if you believe that, but it doesn't make it true.

Everyone should be pushing for more diverse representations in Nintendo games, because they're sorely lacking.

Bahorel

mods come collect this child

Tanned Characters:
latest

Black characters:

latest

race and diversity is a perception driven thing

Why did you get a tan? I want to look sexy.

Why is Skin Bleaching so Popular in India? Fair skin is perceived as beautiful.

You are trying to explain away something the Nintendo developers would not straight out admit to.

Being a black male, I am well aware Nintendo products are made by Japanese people. Yet it does not mean they are not trying to sell their creations to a global market place.

The Inklings are not just tanned man, let people dream. It is better to say Nintendo has finally started to fix an issue than to just excuse it away as tanning is an inkling hobby

Mesoian

Well this could have been a good thread.

Nice to see that the squidkids have darker skintones for mario kart, that's a nice addition.

Kinyou

Would hardly say that this is a hard rule
Like I don't think Nadia was meant to be tanned for example

nqH34Wz.jpg

Kebiinu

Banned

It's honestly time for you to stop posting...

You're missing the point of this topic, your opinions are poorly constructed, you're constantly moving the goalpost around to fit your weird ass agenda, and now you're telling PoC to be respectful of white people who don't feel comfortable with 'black' characters in videogames?

Shut the fuck up.

gillty

Banned
are you like the inverse Rachel dolezal?

Cool.

So some are arguing that the black skin tone options in Splatoon/Kart aren't "really" black?

Looks black to me.

race and diversity is a perception driven thing

Why did you get a tan? I want to look sexy.

Why is Skin Bleaching so Popular in India? Fair skin is perceived as beautiful.

You are trying to explain away something the Nintendo developers would not straight out admit to.

Being a black male, I am well aware Nintendo products are made by Japanese people. Yet it does not mean they are not trying to sell their creations to a global market place.

The Inklings are not just tanned man, let people dream. It is better to say Nintendo has finally started to fix an issue than to just excuse it away as tanning is an inkling hobby

Or rather, they are simply tanned characters.

What makes dark skinned inklinks 'black'? South-East Asian? South American? Arab? Okinawian?

The dichotomy of binary opposition of 'black' and 'white' is an Euro-american centric concept, that yes, does exist due to the prevalence of globalization and colonization outside of the confines of these regions, but none-the-less remains a construction of euro-american centric societies.

Diversity can be celebrated outside of the dichomoty of binary opposition that is 'black' and 'white'. Arguing otherwise is not an affront to 'black' representation, but rather an acknowledgement that these concepts are not universal constructs of societal stratification across the globe.

Diversity is good, good on Nintendo, but let us not assign meaning where perhaps there is none.

It's honestly time for you to stop posting...

You're missing the point of this topic, your opinions are poorly constructed, you're constantly moving the goalpost around to fit your weird ass agenda, and now you're telling PoC to be respectful of white people who don't feel comfortable with 'black' characters in videogames?

Shut the fuck up.

sorry that you're offended, dude. i was just trying to participate in friendly conversation

OUYA FROOYA

Black isnt a race or ethnicity lmao

What makes dark skinned inklinks 'black'? South-East Asian? South American? Arab? Okinawian?

The dichotomy of binary opposition of 'black' and 'white' is an Euro-american centric concept, that yes, does exist due to the prevalence of globalization and colonization outside of the confines of these regions, but none-the-less remains a construction of euro-american centric societies.

Diversity can be celebrated outside of the dichomoty of binary opposition that is 'black' and 'white'. Arguing otherwise is not an affront to 'black' representation, but rather an acknowledgement that these concepts are not universal constructs of societal stratification across the globe.

Diversity is good, good on Nintendo, but let us not assign meaning where perhaps there is none.
So would you argue that Finn in Star Wars isn't black because he's not from America?

PSqueak

Banned

That people can identify with them.

Do you really not get how powerful it is for a person to see a character in a game or movie and go "oh my gosh! they look like me!"?

Black people in this thread are saying they see the black inkling and they feel identified and represented, who the fuck is anybody else to tell them they're wrong?

Kebiinu

Banned

You wrote all of that to say absolutely nothing at all. You could have just stopped at "They are tan characters." and your stance on the matter would have been just as clear.

You're ignorant to the bigger picture, and that's fine. But there's no argument to be had against people who see these characters as black. There really isn't.

Lmao.

gillty

Banned
So would you argue that Finn in Star Wars isn't black because he's not from America?
Great Britain, The United Kingdom, etc... are European powers. Euroamericanism includes the British Isles. Finn is a 'black' character and the portrayal of Finn is very much implied so.

That people can identify with them.

Do you really not get how powerful it is for a person to see a character in a game or movie and go "oh my gosh! they look like me!"?

Black people in this thread are saying they see the black inkling and they feel identified and represented, who the fuck is anybody else to tell them they're wrong?
I think you need to keep your emotion in check and recognise that not did I disagree with what you have said above.

You wrote all of that to say absolutely nothing at all. You could have just stopped at "They are tan characters." and your stance on the matter would have been just as clear.

You're ignorant to the bigger picture, and that's fine. But there's no argument to be had against people who see these characters as black. There really isn't.

Lmao.
I'm ignorant of the bigger picture? You're narrowing these representations as 'black' but I represent an ignorant opinion? Attack arguments won't work with me, as you clearly have not comprehended my statement.

you guys are taking this thread to a whole new place with the anime stuff

these are just anime tropes

you cannot use anime tropes as your main reason for why inklings are not black
the whole point of the dark skinned trope was to have black characters without having to be black characters. This whole mentality is seriously racist at its foundation.

If you read any manga series, which often are the first stage of getting an anime made. You always have the summer at the beach arc with the bikini and tan lines as fan service. But some shows don't wait for that they have a token black character as part of the cast.

Most harem mangas often have one token dark skinned character
it does not mean she is African but she is always dark skinned no matter the season she could live in a mountain full of snow and she is dark all the time. With white hair most of the time.

this has become such a trope in manga you can find a hentai sub-tag for 'Dark Skin' along with all the weird shit that mess goes into

Tan lines are always used for fan service.
If Splatoon was made by Tecmo Koei I could see Inkling Girls with bikini tan lines

I could goggle for fan art of inklings with tan lines and I bet I will find it.

this does not mean Nintendo never meant to have black Inklings

hampig

What a stupid argument. Those SQUID PEOPLE are about as black as SQUID PEOPLE can be. I don't get why there's a divide on what race an imaginary creature is. The skin is dark, whatever, it's a black squid person. Skin is white, that's a white squid person.

That's quite a way to extrapolate a post.

Pretty accurate, actually.

Lawnmower please.

azyless

Some people here really should be asking themselves why they're so annoyed by the idea of black people feeling represented in a video game.

Tanned Characters:
latest

Black characters:

latest

Let me ask a simple question.

Out of all the tanned anime characters posted, has at any point in the series has the character ever lost their tan? Have at any time have they been shown to have to work at keeping a tanned look?

The whole tanned shit is bullshit because it makes it easy for people to accept blackness as tanned whiteness.

I am not giving that shit a pass what I see is one culture exploiting another culture for the sake of sales.

gogojira

I know it's generally frowned upon to say but holy shit the latest round of junior members are about the worst shitposting (with shit opinions to boot) lot I've seen in a looooong time.

Seriously garbage posts and moronic opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom