• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the mind of an internet troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Patrick Klepek, news guy for Giant Bomb, had an email exchange with a self-professed Twitter troll that he has since published to his blog. The discussion centers around a tweet made by the online bully to Dong Nguyen, creator of the mobile game Flappy Bird. What follows is an interesting look inside the mind of an Internet troll.

I want to share a conversation with you.

A few weeks back, I published a piece called "Our Internet Empathy Problem." It used the widespread, culturally-accepted harassment directed at Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen as a vessel to discuss the abuse people are asked to put with online. It’s about the difference between how we treat the meaning of words in real-life and “on the Internet.” It’s about how we victim blame.

Attached to the article was an image that highlighted some of the harassment. This image was, for a time, on the front page of Giant Bomb. One of the harassers learned about this, and he reached out. We had a short but terse dialogue that didn’t result in anyone’s mind being changed. The image remained on the site. Many comments—a good portion of them meaningful—were posted underneath the story.

I’ve had some success in changing people’s minds with my work, and it feels awfully good. It’s a one-at-a-time battle, but I take that in stride.

One. Two. That means something.

But the conversation I had with that one person I just mentioned wouldn’t leave my mind. It stuck. See, this individual was paritcularly vile. Death threats and worse. Some of the comments could easily make one sick to their stomach. A complete lack of empathy.

A few days later, I reached out to him. I wanted to have a longer conversation with this person. You’ll notice that I haven’t mentioned who they are. It’s because it doesn’t matter much. The “who” of this conversation a distraction. The conversation is important, one that I felt was worth sharing. The individual on the other side has approved the release of this exchange, and it was my choice to hide their identity.

It’s long, yes, but please stick with it. It takes some twists.

to: ********
Hi ********, appreciate you getting back to me. You were [redacted]. Anyway, I found the response interesting, and wondered if you might be open to a back-and-forth dialogue, something that possibly (if it proves interesting) was published in some form?

to: Patrick
I try not to take this sort of thing too seriously, generally speaking, but it would seem that everyone has interpreted my response as serious so I have no choice but to play along. When I made the initial comment, I was upset because it seemed to me - and was ultimately borne out to be true - that Nguyen was throwing away money due to lack of a spinal column. A physiological condition which would trouble almost anyone I’m sure, but it didn’t seem to be relevant here. I wrote several other tweets at the time which expounded on this thesis but deleted them within minutes because they were also even more vitriolic if you can believe it. I get carried away on Twitter sometimes.

Anyway yeah we can have a dialogue if you want, and I give permission to publish it should you choose to do so, minus the email address of course.

Hey *********, appreciate you agreeing to this.

Let’s start at the beginning. Your tweet was [redacted, but the tweet basically “go kill yourself”] Why such a violent image? To gain his attention?

Apologies if I don’t respond right away, I’m doing a bit of studying for mid-terms right now.

Well, I don’t view it as entirely violent. Maybe he could use potassium cyanide and a bottle of Ambien. It was just a suggestion to end his own life so that the earth might be spared his insufferable and stubborn existence. The [redacted] part was not necessarily to evoke the slapstick nature of a circus performer’s act; more to illustrate ineptitude on a grand scale such that a spectacle is created.

I must admit that gaining his attention was a goal, one which I didn’t obtain unfortunately. I have a feeling this has something to do with the language barrier, or perhaps merely the deluge of comments he received all of which were unwanted and unread I’m sure. Had he responded to me individually I would have continued to harangue him until blocked, so this was probably a wise course of action for him. Indeed, it is often my own most common reaction when faced with internet harassment. “Don’t feed the trolls!”

No problem—no rush. OK, so you don’t like the guy. What if he actually did kill himself?

I wouldn’t feel responsible. Bullying and harassment are not matters to be taken lightly or in jest. I should know. However, the “cyberbullying” phenomenon is completely hyperbolic in my opinion. Imagine the “older street tough” of lore taking your lunch money every day, or to be a woman and have a male coworker slap your ass or make other unwelcome advances. These are serious issues that have a real impact on a person’s life and psyche.

It is entirely another matter to be on the receiving end of a completely anonymous voice, with no physical presence whatsoever, spilling words into a medium that one has complete control over. At any time, I can block anyone on Twitter, I can tell them to go away in whatever terms I choose, or I can even delete my account or make it private at no cost to myself. I simply don’t see the connection. If someone is so weak of will, so volatile of temperament, so easily influenced by the slightest whisper that they take their own life because of something I typed in one second on the other side of the earth, then perhaps they’re doing all of us a favor by eliminating their obviously flawed genes from the pool.

Is it then acceptable for me to make comments like “kill yourself” at people on Twitter? Of course not. I’ve never contended that it is. Quite the opposite in fact. But really, when people take these sorts of issues seriously, I just have to laugh because it is an absolute absurdity. I believe a compelling argument could even be made that drawing a parallel between “cyberbulling” and tangible harassment denigrates and undermines those who actually suffer in real life, though I think that is beyond the scope of our conversation.

In The Myth of Sisyphus, Camus says: “An act like [suicide] is prepared within the silence of the heart, as is a great work of art,” and later, “In a sense, killing yourself amounts to confessing … that life is too much for you or that you do not understand it.” I refuse to believe that my fleeting and farcical tweet contributes to any such monolithic act.

I will allow the extreme hypothetical that perhaps my tweet in combination with many others like it produced a resonation in Nguyen that may have led to his equally hypothetical choice to kill himself. If you will permit a further quote from the aforementioned book, Camus also says, “One would have to know whether a friend of the desperate man had not that very day addressed him indifferently. He is the guilty one. For that is enough to precipitate all the rancors and all the boredom still in suspension.” Still, my responsibility is acutely limited even in this wild scenario. Aside from my previous arguments, which still hold in this dire case, we should remember that Nguyen - who we must assume in good faith legitimately despised the attention his game brought upon him, though personally I doubt it - turned the spotlight of public scrutiny upon himself, intentionally and voluntarily.

This flirts bawdily with blaming the victim, however I also refuse to believe that he was so naïve he could not have foreseen at least some manner of negative reaction. A cry for help maybe? Well, since he didn’t actually kill himself, I won’t stray too far into speculation.

How can you logically reconcile that it’s not appropriate to make comments like “kill yourself” on Twitter, while doing exactly that? It’s not appropriate, but because you’re able to deal with the harassment, everyone else should, too? Isn’t it possible that people have varying levels of coping mechanisms?

That’s an important question, and probably central to why I make comments like that on Twitter and sometimes elsewhere on the internet, and have for years - though in recent times I have slowed down quite a bit. People definitely have different ways of coping. Holding others to the same standard which I, sometimes dysfunctionally, hold myself would be as absurd as taking my comments seriously. The reasoning behind this contradictory stance is twofold.

First, the internet is an inherently ridiculous place. I view Twitter as a very large comedy club. Taking my comment seriously is analogous to condemning Daniel Tosh for making his rape joke nearly two years ago at The Laugh Factory. Was it well-intentioned? Was it acceptable? Was it funny? No, no, and no. But that’s comedy. Comedians are used to having an open floor on which to say whatever they please. Many of them got their start because they simply don’t have the same conversational filter most people do, and others often find this humorous. Call Daniel Tosh an unfunny prick and you would be speaking the truth. But dressing him as a rape apologist because of one comment? Perhaps he’s made more. What was the context? If it’s a comedy act, I would argue anything is fair game. (I would also observe that his singular comment received as much if not more media attention than the gang rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, OH not a month later. Where are our priorities?)

Anyway, I could write an entire essay on that subject alone, but coming back to my point: the internet is ridiculous. You have “bronie” fan fiction of sexualized cartoon horses, next to white supremacy forums, next to your grandmother’s vacation photos. Is all of it good? No! Most of it isn’t! But I like it that way. I grew up when the internet was still a mysterious black hole that even government agencies didn’t seem to have a grasp of. The Wild West. In an afternoon, you could learn volumes of information you never wanted to know and see hundreds of things you never knew existed and now wish you didn’t.

But the internet is rapidly becoming a much smaller place. Government controls are seeping in from every crack, the vast majority of the web is owned by a few large corporations, and just around the corner we could see restrictions by ISPs on what kind of content you’re allowed to consume just because you didn’t pay for the “Super Tier” internet, or whatever. To quote Timothy Olyphant’s character on Justified, “Someone’s trying to put one over on me. I don’t like that.”

I’m not attempting to paint myself as a crusader for social justice and champion of free speech. That’s a classic backpedal and a thought which exposes narcissism and shallow reasoning. It’s also quite the opposite of my self-image, a topic I will come back to in a moment. What I am saying is, I don’t think people should take the internet and its content so seriously. I think it is detrimental to all of us if we do, and not just from the perspective of restricted speech. I believe the consolidation of social entities to electronic imitations of real life structures, e.g. Facebook and Twitter, does not enrich but rather debases the human experience. The internet is a tool, not a replacement for reality, and one best kept open and free. People forget this. I like to remind them, in my own way.

The second reason stems from the first. Why do I choose to remind them in such an abrasive way? I feel powerless and I take my frustrations out on others.

When the targets of my japes fire back with questions of morality, or when I am criticized in a piece such as that on Giant Bomb (this is not the first time one of my online personas has been featured in articles about rudeness or silliness on Twitter, though it is the first for this account), they often assume I’m operating from their frame of reference; which is to say, they believe I have a conscience that dictates my behavior as wrong and I have somehow lost my way and stumbled into terrorizing conservative old people on Twitter. This fundamental misunderstanding is always very amusing to me, and the subject of further frustration for those who would seek to “educate” me on the error of my ways. I can logic my way out of almost anything, but at the end of the day I acknowledge my presence as an overall negative in the community. I’m an embittered, resentful, and defeated vestige of the old internet - my sanctuary for many years, as I used to despise the world I was forced to live in offline. I have steadily ramped down my trolling profile over time and I will eventually cease such activities entirely, because at this point in my life it’s more exhausting than entertaining.

Real, lasting, positive social change is not won through wars or revolutions, and certainly not through being an insensitive ass on Twitter. Only gradual progress achieved through non-violent means is capable of transforming our world into a more ideal setting. However, going back to my first point, this is the internet. It’s a different context requiring a different response. If I saw someone else make the tweet I made, I would laugh, not because I take suicide lightly or want Nguyen to be miserable, but because: here’s some random Vietnamese guy upsetting millions of people across the world, over an extremely simplistic phone game, due to some autistic tantrum, and the comment has just reduced his entire existence and all of their cares into five words. The humor of this scenario is self-evident to me, but I guess it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

[Several days pass without an exchange—I hadn’t had a chance to respond. The responses were giving me pause. Normally, when interacting with someone who prefers aggressive, hateful speech on the Internet, they aren’t so articulate. It actually made me slightly uncomfortable. Then, out of nowhere and without my prompting, this email shows up.]

So my last answer was pretty long, however I wanted to note that having this mostly one-sided conversation with you has given me pause and time to reflect on how I conduct myself online. As I mentioned, the internet isn’t the same place it used to be. Maybe that doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

One of my favorite comedians of all time, Bill Hicks, has a bit in one of his recorded shows on marketing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

"By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing… Kill yourself."

I love that stanza of his act and I guess that’s the spirit I was thinking of, because I’m really sick of these new media tech dweebs spending massive amounts of resources on advertising and crying like babies when the slightest thing doesn’t go their way. Nguyen represents to me just another one of those faces, who cares so little about how money is used, who is so self-absorbed as to publicly proclaim his desire to rid the world of a (supposedly) enjoyable game and a profit stream that could be used for a net positive gain. It makes my stomach turn.

But there are more constructive and productive ways to address my concerns, instead of creating an elaborate web of absurdity to justify what was really a one-off comment that I didn’t think about at all. I am sorry for wasting your time, but in asking me to think about my response you have convinced me that you may in fact be in the right here. My tweet was overly harsh, and could have made a fragile ego like Nguyen’s crack apart. Fortunately, and to be quite honest, I doubt it had any effect on him at all and was lost in the din of comments he received that day. But it could have.

I’ve left behind my more destructive habits in real life, and perhaps it’s time to leave them on the internet as well. The line between them is becoming blurred whether I like it or not, and it’s past time I respected that. Thanks for your help Patrick.

Change. Longterm? I don’t know, but I hope so. I’m optimistic.

More generally, I’m unsure what to draw from this conversation. It’s just one person. It’s not indicative of every Internet citizen who spews bile and hate. Some of them can’t (or won’t) be changed—it’s burned into their very being. But I’ve found success in talking to people, and reminding them that people are on the other side of their commentary. They don’t take it seriously but others do.

But who would want to talk to someone that, jokingly or not, wants to see them killed? That person has not earned the right to a reasonable back-and-forth, and asking a victim to confront abuse and harassment is an unreasonable request. This is not possible for many people, and I understand that.

The Internet empowers people to speak up, but who are we empowering? That question isn’t asked very often, and it gives me concern. We have built powerful forms of enabling sharing and communication without building proper tools for the consequences.

If everyone is talking, nobody is listening. When nobody is listening, those hoping to be heard shout louder. It’s a vicious cycle, and it only seems to be getting worse. Not everyone can be reasoned with, but maybe there are lessons here. That lesson might not having a heart-to-heart with a person saying hateful things to you, but maybe you’re that hateful person. Maybe you don’t realize these words have power, and you ought to have more respect for them. Maybe you can be the one who changes.

I hope so. I’m optimistic.

Hoodbury

It's a scary world when the crazies are so damn smart.

Good read though. Not sure he is like most internet trolls though.

Azih

Huh. Interesting. That was one introspective troll, which I think maybe is no't the case for most.

Ekdrm2d1

Name reminds me of
hansklopek(1).jpg

kirblar

Guy writes like a supervillian
Not that surprising- they found lots of sadistic/psychopathic personality traits w/ internet trolls. It's one thing to mess with your friends. It's another thing to enjoy screwing with anonymous people.

gutshot

It's a scary world when the crazies are so damn smart.

Good read though. Not sure he is like most internet trolls though.

I used to run a pretty popular website that had a troll a lot like this guy. He would say some of the most vulgar and asinine things in the comments, but every once in a while he would drop his persona and you could see he was actually quite intelligent. I'm not sure if trolling is just a fun game for these sorts of people or if it is symptomatic of some sort of mental instability. Maybe both.

The way this guy separates online bullying from "real" bullying makes me think he was bullied a lot as a kid and now likes to act out the other side, but doesn't think it's a big deal because he's the one doing it now and it's not like he's taking their lunch money or anything.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I used to run a pretty popular website that had a troll a lot like this guy. He would say some of the most vulgar and asinine things in the comments, but every once in a while he would drop his persona and you could see he was actually quite intelligent. I'm not sure if trolling is just a fun game for these sorts of people or if it is symptomatic of some sort of mental instability. Maybe both.

I would lean towards mental instability. Particular given some of the things he says about himself.

Its particularly concerning that he views the internet and twitter as a big joke and that everyone should view his comments as jokes. The problem with that, is no one knows him from Adam and the key to a joke is the participants have to know you are joking.

Rayis

I have always thought people who say internet and real life are completely disconnected are full of shit, one of the big reasons trolls enjoy doing what they do is because they know that online they can get away with hurting people, in real life there would be consequences for their hostile behavior so they take their hostility to a place with no censorship where they can show their real selves without fear of repercussion.

Well, I don’t view it as entirely violent. Maybe he could use potassium cyanide and a bottle of Ambien.

I gotta admit, I lol'd.

He seems pretty well read. If he focused himself he could be so much more than an internet troll.

So what I gained from this is that internet trolls think they're comedians but don't understand comedy.

That sounds about right.

kirblar

The way this guy separates online bullying from "real" bullying makes me think he was bullied a lot as a kid and now likes to act out the other side, but doesn't think it's a big deal because he's the one doing it now and it's not like he's taking their lunch money or anything.
I don't think he's wrong about needing to separate the two (a lot of people say a lot of really dumb things on the internet), but he just has no ability to comprehend how some people aren't able to do that.

Hoodbury

So what I gained from this is that internet trolls think they're comedians but don't understand comedy.

That sounds about right.

I think that's probably pretty true. I bet a lot of them if not most do it because they think they are being funny but have no idea how bad and annoying they come across.

Abounder

Banned

That sounds about right.

Yea they often sound like bastardizations of George Carlin or Bill Hicks especially when it comes to passionate topics like religion. They want that a good stand-up comedian gets.

I wonder how similar trolling is to road rage or acting like a bastard towards customer service. In my opinion people are just assholes with or without the internet.

From reading, he/she sounds like what I'd imagine HAL2000 in real life speaking.

A cold, calculating, heartless machine.

LordCanti

I can't help but feel like Scoops is being trolled by this troll during a conversation with this troll about his trolling.

The guy writes like he's having himself a laugh internally.

gutshot

I have always thought people who say internet and real life are completely disconnected are full of shit, one of the big reasons trolls enjoy doing what they do is because they know that online they can get away with hurting people, in real life there would be consequences for their hostile behavior so they take their hostility to a place with no censorship where they can show their real selves without fear of repercussion.

This guy doesn't even seem to do it out of any pent-up hostility though. He does it more for a laugh and then justifies it by saying people should just learn to take a joke or get over it since it's just words from an anonymous stranger.

LaNaranja

I can't help but feel like Scoops is being trolled by this troll during a conversation with this troll about his trolling.

I got this feeling too. It seems like the dude is just fucking with him. Entertaining response none the less.

DJ_Lae

Guy's writing and tone are insufferable to read.

I also get the impression that he's fucking with Patrick.

Yup I kinda got that feeling too. But even in that case, it does still give insight to his mind in a way I think.

Septimius

I wouldn’t feel responsible. Bullying and harassment are not matters to be taken lightly or in jest. I should know. However, the “cyberbullying” phenomenon is completely hyperbolic in my opinion. Imagine the “older street tough” of lore taking your lunch money every day, or to be a woman and have a male coworker slap your ass or make other unwelcome advances. These are serious issues that have a real impact on a person’s life and psyche.

Stopped reading here. This is like asking someone that hate math to explain math. It's obviously the way this "troll" decides to view what he does, writing off any blame. Why it this is considered something worth publishing is beyond my understanding.

WalkMan

Banned

Sociopaths, they can be very calculating and lacking of empathy. I'd rather they have the internet as their outlet than to meddle in the real world.

waxer

Why do people see it different than a phone call. If you were a phone bully with 10,000 friends all phoning someone and telling them to kill themself would they see it as the same thing or somehow more real. The message is no different and has no more effect on the end individual unless you assume they are of the same mindset as yourself in that they also somehow separate the medium of communication simply by giving it the name "Internet"

Benutzer

That sounds about right.

What are you talking about? This

Well, I don’t view it as entirely violent. Maybe he could use potassium cyanide and a bottle of Ambien.

is funny.

Yea they often sound like bastardizations of George Carlin or Bill Hicks especially when it comes to passionate topics like religion. They want that a good stand-up comedian gets.

I wonder how similar trolling is to road rage or acting like a bastard towards customer service. In my opinion people are just assholes with or without the internet.

Road rage or being a dick to CS is different, these two are simple acts of lashing out. Trolling is done in a calculated way to get a reaction out of the victim. Trolling is definitely higher on the totem pole.

Rayis

This guy doesn't even seem to do it out of any pent-up hostility though. He does it more for a laugh and then justifies it by saying people should just learn to take a joke or get over it since it's just words from an anonymous stranger.

Right, in his case it seems to be more of a lack of empathy and understanding of others, he refuses to understand that some people don't find his "jokes" funny and are more easily affected by them, he did mention he didn't like the fact the internet was changing and had more people who wouldn't take kindly to his jokes.

cdyhybrid

He said he gets carried away...it's not trolling if it's not entirely calculated - that's just being an asshole.

Unless he specifically answered it like this to troll me.

Besides "go kill yourself" is pretty basic stuff. This guy is a poor troll. A good one would use something a little more clever than that.

Benutzer

He said he gets carried away...it's not trolling if it's not entirely calculated - that's just being an asshole.

Unless he specifically answered it like this to troll me.

Besides "go kill yourself" is pretty basic stuff. This guy is a poor troll. A good one would use something a little more clever than that.

A single tweet "go kill yourself" is like IKB 191. There is a profound and enduring beauty in simplicity, in clarity, in efficiency.

He definitely says some interesting things. This though,

"If someone is so weak of will, so volatile of temperament, so easily influenced by the slightest whisper that they take their own life because of something I typed in one second on the other side of the earth, then perhaps they’re doing all of us a favor by eliminating their obviously flawed genes from the pool"

is so arrogant and insensitive that I feel sorry for him. He contradicts himself. It can't both be a joke and an indifferent push for someone's suicide.

cdyhybrid

A single tweet "go kill yourself" is like IKB 191. There is a profound and enduring beauty in simplicity, in clarity, in efficiency.

I agree with the bolded, but being clever and/or original doesn't prevent that! "Go kill yourself" is played out.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'd read a book about the internet written by this troll.
No, really.
Something like "The fall of the lawless Internet".

He definitely says some interesting things. This though,

"If someone is so weak of will, so volatile of temperament, so easily influenced by the slightest whisper that they take their own life because of something I typed in one second on the other side of the earth, then perhaps they’re doing all of us a favor by eliminating their obviously flawed genes from the pool"

is so arrogant and insensitive that I feel sorry for him. He contradicts himself. It can't both be a joke and an indifferent push for someone's suicide.

Exactly what I'm thinking. It's the shallow mindedness of the above statement in which he falls flat. He's assuming that everyone is the same and that taking Twitter posts is meaningless. I would ignore the bullshit said, but other people don't. That's what this "articulate troll" doesn't realise.
He's clearly smart (or trying to be) enough to understand what he's doing and yet uses it in a more destructive way.
Again, the sad part being that he acknowledges how his simple tweet is meaningless in a vast sea of other thousands of tweets directed to Nguyen so his efforts at trolling are wasted.
It's like:
"I know I'm not going to be heard....but I'm going to continue yelling".
It's simple, he's a douche.

(Hopefully he doesn't get hurt over being called a douche, if so, let me send some creative paragraphs explaining why I said what I said).

Plus, I doubt many trolls are even close to like this.

zma1013

So basically he's saying:

"Hey guys don't take this seriously, but you should go jump of a cliff and die... but if you do take this seriously, you should go jump off a cliff and die."

He is a bully that lacks empathy and none of the big words, book quotes, or comedian references are going to change that.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

That sounds about right.

I mean if there is a whole class of people doing it because they find it funny me thinks they understand their comedy and their audience quite well.

Alric

Definitely an interesting read. Like most internet personas I'm sure he'd do things completely different in a face to face situation. Guess that's what happens with a lot of well read intelligent people that need to vent their own personal struggles through a digital persona.

Not like I haven't been a dick from time to time.

Nachos

doesn't mr. shawn elliot post here? wonder what's his take on griefing, cyberbullying and all that.

Yup, as Fart of War. I'd be curious to hear this myself, as I remember from GFW correctly, he was a bit of a bully growing up himself.

His responses read like a school essay.

This...

When the targets of my japes fire back with questions of morality, or when I am criticized in a piece such as that on Giant Bomb (this is not the first time one of my online personas has been featured in articles about rudeness or silliness on Twitter, though it is the first for this account), they often assume I’m operating from their frame of reference; which is to say, they believe I have a conscience that dictates my behavior as wrong and I have somehow lost my way and stumbled into terrorizing conservative old people on Twitter.

Is just saying this...

People ask why I troll, and assume I troll because I am no longer a nice person.

But through a pretentious, 'I can use big boy words' filter.

Takuan

Bitter and angry individual uses internet to lash out. Sounds about right. At least he seems capable of self-reflection.

I've been drawn into conversations with people like this in real life. After 30 seconds you question(not out loud of course) what in world are they talking about. Then you realize they need to get some shit off their chest and you roll with it.

At the end of their rant I put on my best Hank Hill face and go "Yep".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom