• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: 30% of Sledgerhammer Games has been laid off

Del_X

Honestly maybe fuck them idk. Sorry for their loss of a job but jfc. Has their output ever been stellar?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
59d181384367f_indifferent-blink(1).gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Crazy how only yesterday was I listening to Jeff Gerstmann talking about a GamesIndustry.biz article about how 2024/5 will be ruthless for the industry with closures and layoffs.

Nearly a third axed from one of the main studios in the CoD-making machine is insane.

I doubt that this was all developers. They're probably streamlining the company and will probably push them to become a CoD support studio rather than work on a full independent game after the next cycle.

The question is whether CoD will remain an annual release or under GamePass they don't need it to be.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nearly a third axed from one of the main studios in the CoD-making machine is insane.
They shouldn't be releasing a full COD every year, the games are not good enough anymore and nothing else operate in this way anymore. It should just be a live service game with a campaign whenever it is ready. Shithammer's games were also by far the weakest of the three, although the fact that it happened for so long is on Activision.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS is planning to reorganize the entire operation, and it's badly needed.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I doubt that this was all developers. They're probably streamlining the company and will probably push them to become a CoD support studio rather than work on a full independent game after the next cycle.

The question is whether CoD will remain an annual release or under GamePass they don't need it to be.

They shouldn't be releasing a full COD every year, the games are not good enough anymore and nothing else operate in this way anymore. It should just be a live service game with a campaign whenever it is ready. Shithammer's games were also by far the weakest of the three, although the fact that it happened for so long is on Activision.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS is planning to reorganize the entire operation, and it's badly needed.

True, if this is an indication that CoD will finally (belatedly) move away from its current annual release model, then downsizing makes sense.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

2 or 3 years cycle is needed

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Advanced warfare, cod ww2, CoD vanguard, modern warfare 2. 4 games in 9 years.

You mean MW3. MW 2022 was Infinity Ward.

They all help each other out on multiple games these days, of course, but just pointing out they werent the main dev for that one.

Raonak

Banned
MS buying ABK feels eeirly similar to that time I drunkley impulse purchased that extra large cheeseburger

Lets just say there was a lot of vomit and nobody was pleased.

Last edited:

Anything they do for Gamepass regarding COD has to be allowed for other platforms like Playstation and Nintendo as well for atleast 10 years as part of the contract they signed. So this has to be for something else. They cant gimp the offerings of COD to make gamepass seem more appealing because it has a lower price entry compared to its competitors.

bender

What time is it?
Hmm. Surprised that they would touch the CoD machine.

Hitting Sledgehammer with the deepest cuts would make the most sense since their title just released and their next project is the farthest out in the COD cycle.

I could be making this up, but I seem to remember Phil talking about slowing down the release schedule of COD.

Last edited:
Really does suck seeing this many people out of a job. I understand it comes with consolidation, you're gonna have overlaps in positions but still, it's just see sad to see.

Also for a hot take: CoD WW2 was the best CoD of the last decade. The war mode in that game was fucking fantastic.

Astray

Gold Member

High quality and experienced QA teams surely matters when the franchise is basically an annual release.

This is the start of the inept leadership team that ran Halo to the ground getting its hands on yet another mega FPS franchise.

Grin Reaction GIF by iQiyi

The delusion of the Xbox Warrior Force was always amusing. Thinking that once Microsoft owns ABK, suddenly a bunch of new games would be greenlit, the entire back catalog would appear on Game Pass, and now with Microsoft's infinite resources and infrastructure, all these studios would thrive... the Call of Duty studios could finally be set free to create new IPs and revive old one.

only if they knew the worst is yet to come.

Top Bottom