• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: 30% of Sledgerhammer Games has been laid off

soulbait

Man, it's going to be a rough year for those working in tech (I am one of them). My company had to do layoffs in late 2023, and we currently have some good sales in the pipeline, so hopefully we do not need to make more cuts this year.

Capitalism has its plusses, but the one of the main negatives that I don't like about it is how every year your profits are expected to be more than the year prior. One of the ways to make this happen is to cut expenses, meaning people. It sucks, it really does. I can see the business reasons behind Microsoft doing this, but at the end of the day it sucks for anyone to lose their job. I hope the best for those to lost their jobs. Hopefully this will be the end of the layoffs within Xbox, but I won't hold my breath.

I call them Shithammer for a reason.

But it seems like MS is changing a lot in how this company does business.
Well exactly, this isn't Microsoft mismanagement (they only just gained control) this is a fundamental restructure from the ground up. What Phil and Booty have seen in how the company was run obviously wasn't very cost effective and these layoffs are a result of that.

As yesterday a sad day for all affected and hopefully they get a new position within the industry quickly.

FeralEcho

It's not just the B-Team either.

Is it a massive loss though...?

high quality GIF

COD has been awful since almost a decade,MW 2019 breathed some life into it but then they threw all the goodwill to the ground all culminating in whatever the fuck 2023 MW is supposed to be...

twilo99

Is it a massive loss though...?

high quality GIF

COD has been awful since almost a decade,MW 2019 breathed some life into it but then they threw all the goodwill to the ground all culminating in whatever the fuck 2023 MW is supposed to be...

Current CoD is actually very good.

FeralEcho

On another note...With all this restructuring going on across the industry I bet a whole bunch of purple haired devs are about to find out your pronouns aren't as important as they'd like to think they are when working for a company and diversity was the main trait you had to offer...

For everyone else affected,I hope they find a job in the industry fast and get to putting their talents to good use.

FeralEcho

Current CoD is actually very good.
Multiplayer maybe but I don't count a whole package as good when you're delivering some of the worst campaigns in gaming just because your multiplayer is fairing well.Old MW games were the whole package,so were BO1 and 2.

Same with GT Sport that's why no one else is talking about that thing after GT7 released. That's what separates good from great in my opinion.

graywolf323

Playground games for sure.
Microsoft bought them in 2018 (announced at E3), since then they’ve released Forza Horizon 4 (released that same year in 2018) + 5 & have been working on Fable, it’s still up in the air if they’ve gotten better since being purchased since they were still independent when they did Forza Horizon 1-3

I think the state of Fable will tell us how that purchase has gone

twilo99

Next CoD should be called “Budget Warfare”

Multiplayer maybe but I don't count a whole package as good when you're delivering some of the worst campaigns in gaming just because your multiplayer is fairing well.Old MW games were the whole package,so were BO1 and 2.

Same with GT Sport that's why no one else is talking about that thing after GT7 released. That's what separates good from great in my opinion.

Multiplayer is the core attraction, it’s what sells the games..

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
MW3, Vanguard, WW2 and Advanced Warfare go back and play those games there are zero things wrong with them. I think sledgehammer games is just part of Microsoft’s recent lynch mob narrative.

As soon as we bought MS from ABK we had the worst-rated COD in history and massive layoffs in the saga's development teams, all very "promising" for the saga.

Top Bottom