• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Call of Duty to Embrace Open World Campaigns in Black Ops Gulf War and Beyond

Draugoth

Gold Member
black-ops-1.jpg

This year, Call of Duty is set to embrace an open-world campaign in Black Ops Gulf War, Insider Gaming has learned. Call of Duty to Embrace Open World Campaigns in Black Ops Gulf War and Beyond

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Let’s keep it real half of America plays cod they’re trying to come up with anything to put up the fight against battlefield, i guarantee you open world cod will be a success especially after halo infinite did a great job with it and yes gulf war rumors have been out there for a while.

Barely touched this years cod. Completed the campaign, some multi and a little zombies.

Played more DMZ in mw2 to be honest.

Just not feeling it and not sure if more open world is the answer. (Unless you can squad up with friends to complete). I miss the crazy bombastic Michael bay campaigns of the 3 modern warfare games the first time around)

Might skip for a bit and see how things go (too expensive to pay for dlc at full price for me again. The modern warfare games are just not the same as they were (DMZ aside)

Dazraell

Interesting, I wonder how open world will translate to this series format. The article also confirms Raven Software is the lead dev behind this, which I think is great news. Loved their take at Cold War campaign

BigLee74

I enjoyed this years COD campaign. It had a good mix of open levels and typical corridor levels. Keep that format, then I’m fine with the 6 hours I spend in it every few years.

It's like every single thing MS and Activision could say wrong over the last 3 or 4 days...they are saying them.

It's hilarious to witness as someone that doesn't care about both brands honestly.

King Dazzar

Lets see how it turns out. I'm up for them changing the single player and giving it a little depth.

Last edited:
Intrigued. But in reality they probably just realized it’s cheaper and more time efficient to reuse DMZ assets and churn these out.

Del_X

It might be fun, idk. If they can get some "emergent" gameplay and enemy AI to work I'd take CoD towers of Ubisoft towers. Basically Far Cry 3 on speed.

Gambit2483

Intrigued. But in reality they probably just realized it’s cheaper and more time efficient to reuse DMZ assets and churn these out.
This.

They asked the question "How can we make COD games quicker and cheaper?"

Just copy and paste multiplayer map assets into single player maps and call it a day. They are doubling down on the WORST part about the last COD game.

SCB3

I enjoyed this years COD campaign. It had a good mix of open levels and typical corridor levels. Keep that format, then I’m fine with the 6 hours I spend in it every few years.
you may be the only person I've ever seen admit that!

I hated it, the open world mission were just a cheap Warzone lite, they fucking sucked and ruined the pacing of the game completly

I do like CoD campaigns for the most part, they're blockbuster like titles to me, a good run through but not something that I'd replay (aside from CoD4, and MW2 those were amazing)

Bry0

That’s massively disappointing and I can only assume it’s done as a cost/time measure, I’m sure it will use warzone assets.

Ugh

So the feedback they got from the community about absolutely hating the open combat missions using the Warzone map in MW3 meant absolutely fuck all to them.

Last edited:
This.

They asked the question "How can we make COD games quicker and cheaper?"

Just copy and paste multiplayer map assets into single player maps and call it a day. They are doubling down on the WORST part about the last COD game.

I didn’t play the MW3 campaign, does it also have vehicles and fast travel? Maybe there is a legit open world game here.

Fake

This will destroy performance target that CoD games are used to get right...

Good luck.

Last edited:
If they put another scam campaign on the warzone map for a second time, I will fucking die laughing. This is such shit.

That leaked footage of the cancelled space game makes this shit look like a fat joke.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
man.. honestly.. FUCK microsoft. they ruin everything they touch.

The one fucking FPS campaign i liked yearly because of how linear and to the point it was. It was so refreshing every year.

now you're going to embrace literally the WORST part of MW3?

get fucked

BigLee74

you may be the only person I've ever seen admit that!

I hated it, the open world mission were just a cheap Warzone lite, they fucking sucked and ruined the pacing of the game completly

I do like CoD campaigns for the most part, they're blockbuster like titles to me, a good run through but not something that I'd replay (aside from CoD4, and MW2 those were amazing)

😀 There are a few of us! (insert dozens gif). I enjoyed the change of pace between the open and corridor levels, and in particular I loved the villa and dam open levels. They’ve obviously worked on the tech, and have got the bots playing well in them. I’m down for more.

(Edit to be clear - I want a mix, not just open map levels)

Last edited:

Kerotan

So they'll basically have you driving around whatever the new warzone map will be with a few cutscenes thrown in. Ass.

Zannegan

I mean, I enjoyed Crysis and thought Crysis 2 could have stood to be more open. And I haven't really loved a CoD campaign since the original Modern Warfare, so it could be a breath of fresh air, especially if it's co-op...

...but not EVERY series needs to be open world.

man.. honestly.. FUCK microsoft. they ruin everything they touch.

The one fucking FPS campaign i liked yearly because of how linear and to the point it was. It was so refreshing every year.

now you're going to embrace literally the WORST part of MW3?

get fucked
Ehhhh..... MS has NOTHING to do with development... Just so you know. Should I blame my neighbor for the bad weather too?

Top Bottom