• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] Gameplay Footage of Timesplitters 2 Remake Surfaces Online

Gameplay footage of Timesplitters 2 remake has surfaced online thanks to a former developer on the project.

The footage was uploaded to LinkedIn by Rob Steptoe, who said "I'll be sure to post what I can" on the project. The original video has since been mirrored and uploaded across various other platforms. You can see 5 minutes of gameplay below:

Timesplitters 2 remake was canceled in late 2023 as a part of Embracer Groups major restructuring, which has seen several game development studios close and games canceled. The Timesplitters 2 remake was poised to be a free-to-play title developed by Free Radical. Free Radical closed in December 2023.

AaeKfjo.png

MtZ9N.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, thank god that didn't go any further.

This was never a good idea. Timesplitters is very much a product of its time.

it was really chasing those vbucks, feel not so bad about it being cancelled if this is indicative of what they were targeting

The UI is placeholder, but according to a reddit user "they initially pitched the concept of it being a Fortnite clone in order to get funding, then they tried to swap over to doing a Timesplitters 2 remake instead a few months before the studio was closed. Apparently even the devs weren't very happy with the live service stuff either..."

Senua

The UI is placeholder, but according to a reddit user "they initially pitched the concept of it being a Fortnite clone in order to get funding, then they tried to swap over to doing a Timesplitters 2 remake instead a few months before the studio was closed. Apparently even the devs weren't very happy with the live service stuff either..."
Yep that looks about right to what the footage showed

Now I am confident that cancelling this was the best course of action.

Take this Fortnite-esque stuff out of my Timesplitters.

StueyDuck

Jesus what the fuck was that, thank fuck it got cancelled.

Is this just a troll and some fortnite map creator thing?

Timesplitters is one of my most beloved franchises, whoever greenlit that literally doesn't have a brain.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Agreed. Funny thing is that it feels like they were working on it for fucking ages.
Embracer encouraged a Battle Royale GaaS style TimeSplitters reboot from the beginning as it was the only way Embracer agreed to fund the game.

Then Free Radical went behind their back at the last minute and pivoted to a TimeSplitters 2 Remake. I don't have a link, but supposedly an insider came forward to disclose this information.

That's why it looks jank, because this iteration never got too far. I hate the third person perspective in the video. The environments aren't that offensive, but the jank third person models as well as third person view looked terrible.

MiguelItUp

That's so bizarre to me, nothing about this even remotely looks like Timesplitters. I think I saw the HP and shield bars, but that was it. I don't know why anyone would bother if it doesn't even resemble what it's supposed to resemble, lol.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Embracer encouraged a Battle Royale GaaS style TimeSplitters reboot from the beginning as it was the only way Embracer agreed to fund the game.

Then Free Radical went behind their back at the last minute and pivoted to a TimeSplitters 2 Remake. I don't have a link, but supposedly an insider came forward to disclose this information.

That's why it looks jank, because this iteration never got too far. I hate the third person perspective in the video. The environments aren't that offensive, but the jank third person models as well as third person view looked terrible.

Should have made what they agreed to.

They had a shot with a new Battle Royale.

Hohenheim

I was sad to see this cancelled, as Timesplitters 2 was one of my favourites during the Gamecube-era.
But after watching this footage I really couldn't care less. Seems like they basically made Fortnite.

Kacho

In hindsight, probably a good idea to cancel it. That's not what I was looking for when they announced a remake.

Dane

Holy shit this is so awful, and apparently Steve Ellis sold this idea to get the funding for a new Free Radical, but people inside say that the plan at the end was to pivot it towards a TS2 remake in the final months.

I recoiled at the idea of making timesplitters third person but actually considering how fun all the character design was tps does make sense for it.

I don't think it looked that bad, but still changing to third person is absurd and would have upset everyone. I miss those games.

Top Bottom