• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

The_Dude

Monk said:
Yes this is true. BTW should morph be unbanned? He was the one that claimed that the ps3 sold out and none of us believed it.
But it didn't sell out, did it? Weren't there something like 220,000 consoles in the UK?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The game looks like shit.

my eyes blinked at 120Mhz for about 2 minutes after i read this and my tiny mind went into melt down.

Either that or you shit out Rembrandts everytime you go to the dunny.

Pug

Morph was talking about the uk.

It didn't sell out in the UK either. You could have picked one anywhere on the day of Launch with or without a pre-order, and they are still available anywhere. In fact Aria.co.uk have cut the price by £25 you can buy it for £399.99!

Apocryphon

Not using texture streaming is the reason Resistance has N64 quality textures!?

They even managed to completely f**k up the lighting and shadowing. Take the Manchester Cathedral for example; it has luminous benches (pews?) that cast no shadow. Whatsoever. It looks unfinished, like most of the games levels.

Now we all want a lengthy offline mode, but if i had to choose between an ugly-sub-par-but-long game like Resistance and a gorgeous-but-way-too-short-but-AWESOME game like Gears of War, i'd take Gears any day of the week.

Resistance hardly improves over Call of Duty 2 visually and has nothing on Call of Duty 3, nevermind Gears of War. And not using texture streaming is the reason why? Rubbish! It's either the hardware or the developers skills, ...and nothing else on PS3 has impressed texture-wise (yet) so i'd lean towards PS3's RAM limitation as being the biggest contributing factor if Insomniac had ever made a technically complex, shader heavy game. Which they haven't.

Pug said:
In fact Aria.co.uk have cut the price by £25 you can buy it for £399.99!

WTF! Don't believe everything you read on the internet. You don't want to buy a UK PS3, you have no intention of buying a UK PS3, why repeat a quote about the price of a UK PS3 being reduced in "negative" press, when an easy check of the site by someone considering buying a UK PS3 (me) shows it is false information.

I stayed away from this topic last night, but what's wrong with the guy expressing his opinions, none of it is false information, it's about the positives of the PS3 nothing more nothing less, and most of the points are the reasons I'll pick up a PS3.

Aaron

DCharlie said:
my eyes blinked at 120Mhz for about 2 minutes after i read this and my tiny mind went into melt down.

Either that or you shit out Rembrandts everytime you go to the dunny.
I've been talking with a friend recently who played God of War 2 and Resistance for the first time right after it, and thought they were about the same level graphically, considering it a pretty high level PS2 game, but far away from Gears. He's not really a graphics whore though, so it's a matter of perception I guess. Or that everything feels last gen when brought up against Gears.

Pug

WTF! Don't believe everything you read on the internet. You don't want to buy a UK PS3, you have no intention of buying a UK PS3, why repeat a quote about the price of a UK PS3 being reduced in "negative" press, when an easy check of the site by someone considering buying a UK PS3 (me) shows it is false information.

I stayed away from this topic last night, but what's wrong with the guy expressing his opinions, none of it is false information, it's about the positives of the PS3 nothing more nothing less, and most of the points are the reasons I'll pick up a PS3.

It was false information, the PS3 did not, got that, did not sell out in the UK. That he said it did makes it false. And what are going on about regarding the price? Its £399.95 on that website, seems a good deal to me and of course I want a PS3 and I will have one, when the price is right for me.

Pug said:
Its £399.95 on that website, seems a good deal to me and of course I want a PS3 and I will have one, when the price is right for me.

f_PS3m_7b8681c.jpg

Aria.co.uk PS3 = £481.96 inc VAT

You read that information on a website and decided to use it because it goes along with the "PS3 am doomed" press and opinion.

Apocryphon

Nostromo said:
Do you live in another universe or what?

Please. To say Resistance is visually underwhelming would be an understatement. Call of Duty 3 may suck ass but at least it looks next-gen.

Do you people even know what you're talking about? Resistance does NOT have XBOX/PS2/N64/PSX, etc textures. Kill an enemie and get a close look at his corpse. Look at the various wood, metal and rock surfaces around a level. It does have somewhat inconsistant texturing, making some textures higher resolution than others. But i haven't yet seen a LOW resolution texture. I could be wrong, the intensity of the game or the amount of details may have distracted me away from some crappy texture.

But by all means educate me, show me a picture of the game with a N64 resolution texture. I will apologize and never touch this subject again.

Aria.co.uk says the ps3 for me is £399 also, with vat.

That's not too bad, don't forget that aria charge £9.49 minimum postage and for something like the ps3 it's going to be a little more expensive due to weight.

rod

Banned
resistance has horrible, horrible low rez textures MOST of the time. as if those textures are hi rez :lol theyre as low as low rez can go

OverHeat

« generous god »
rod said:
resistance has horrible, horrible low rez textures MOST of the time. as if those textures are hi rez :lol theyre as low as low rez can go

Well the Geometry of the levels make up for it in my humble opinion.

rod

Banned
Blimblim said:
Post #666 indeed.

haha, ive stated this in the resistance thread many times. forget the actual GAME being underwhelming, the graphics are even MORE so. luckily motorstorm and vf5 more than make up for the visuals being sucky.

seriously though. resistance should've ran at 60fps. then it would've been forgivable to have those graphics.

resistance may not have the best graphics...

it does, however, stay locked at 30fps no matter what. and personally i'll take a hit in graphics for a constant framerate anyday. within reason of course.

Apocryphon

TheGuardian said:
Do you people even know what you're talking about? Resistance does NOT have XBOX/PS2/N64/PSX, etc textures. Kill an enemie and get a close look at his corpse. Look at the various wood, metal and rock surfaces around a level. It does have somewhat inconsistant texturing, making some textures higher resolution than others. But i haven't yet seen a LOW resolution texture. I could be wrong, the intensity of the game or the amount of details may have distracted me away from some crappy texture.

The enemy models look fantastic, but the human soldiers and environmental texturing is really really bad.

thisisnextgenpy8.jpg

...and this next (really badly captured, courtesy of IGN) screen shows what we mean...

n64qualitycn6.jpg

...now not every surface looks like ass, it's mainly floor/ground and wall textures, but it wouldn't have been so bad if the lighting and shadowing was better.

But the game is about shooting lots of great looking enemies at a consistent framerate and we can ignore the dull looking, poorly textured environments!?

Vagabundo

Eteric Rice said:
Anyway, I think AI wise, the Wii will be fine. I'm not sure about physics, but not all games use them in a major way.

I think in all areas that the Wii will be fine, all these engines are just simulating reality (or a reality). With clever game design you can fake it and to most people they will never know (or care) about the difference.

A game is a game to them, how fun is it to play, should I bother buying this. That is the questions that they ask. Not does it have Advanced AI, bloom and HDR.

A lot of lapsed gamers have left because there was too much of an emphasise on tech and not enough on gameplay/design/fun, in my opinion. The Wii will get more of the lapsed gamers IMO.

Majik said:
But the game is about shooting lots of great looking enemies at a consistent framerate and we can ignore the dull looking, poorly textured environments!?

yeah i can give it a pass. i've just gotten really sick of almost every game having framerate problems this gen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree with many of the quoted article's points. And I don't think he is necessarily trying to justify the PS3, more he is trying to balance what he says is all the negative press about it (which I agree is way OTT)

As for these resistance comments. Have you actually seen an N64 game?

Le sigh.

First of all, if the game looks like that in your TV, you should return it and buy a decent one. Those are some of the worst pics (probably due to compression) I've seen. But I'll cut you some slack by the fact that IGN seems to have f****d up most of their screenshots.

Second, i advise you to read up on Anisotropic Filtering, something the game does lack, and that makes a lot of difference.

This post by Bepbo shows what i'm talking about:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4886794&postcount=907

It doesn't lack high res textures, they just get blurry in some situations. The same thing happens with 90% of next gen games as they also lack AF, including stuff like Oblivion.

Apocryphon

Damage control much!?

The problem isn't that Resistance is technically retarded, it's that you've got a guy saying that the reason it doesn't match Gears visually is because is doesn't support texture streaming. Those are his words, nobody else's.

Disregard Epic for a minute and just look at Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty 2 and ask yourself which game Resistance is closer to graphically.

It isn't Call of Duty 3.

Resistance has awesome weapons and awesome enemy models, but disappointing environments and zero atmosphere. Now Insomniac developed the engine, Insomniac decided what features they would use and what they wouldn't. Insomniac is the reason the game doesn't look as good as it's peers. It's a "better" game than CoD3, and it's a better game than many of the other games on 360 already, but it game out in November (?) and the games it's directly competing with are; Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, Lost Planet, GRAW2 etc as they are the best looking games on the rival platform.

Saying the game has N64 quality textures was obviously sarcasm but the point still stands that the game is visually underwhelming.

Ploid 3.0

You have a mighty fine way of showing sarcasm. With the pointing out of the "n64 textures" and all.

I'm guessing when you say "zero atmosphere" you're being sarcastic again.

Also being on seperate platforms kinda take pressure to compete with those titles. It's competing in trying to get you to buy the console to play it. On the other hand, if you're getting the console at launch, and like shooters, you're already buying it.

Just read this thing and haven't bothered sifting through this thread. Wow. Why did he even bother? I know this was on his blog 'n all, but that sounds like a typical internet rant we've heard for the last year or more. Half of the stuff in that list didn't even make sense to me. Ah well. I guess I can't blame him, in a way...but the fact that he doesn't make a very compelling argument and his company has a vested interest in the Sony side of things makes it seem all for naught. About as important as Major Nelson stuff, except without the behind the scenes looks and future product info. The only way Sony's gonna shake their image is to drop that price and start getting a steady stream of both great third party and first party stuff out there. And holy crap @ the Resistance is N64-level stuff. Come on, man. It's not that bad at all. It looks and moves well, and it pretty fun, if a little too standard feeling.

Bodom78

Insomniac may not be part of Sony, but they do seem to share the same mentality that has bought them so much grief this gen.

Honestly, none of those points really make the PS3 any better then the 360 for gamers out there, and the library of games make that crystal clear.

And 50gig point, give me a break, span the game on multiple DVD's if necessary for the 360 or become better developers.

(feel free to quote my avatar as a reply, you'll be the first)

Aisenherz

Banned
Majik said:
Damage control much!?

The problem isn't that Resistance is technically retarded, it's that you've got a guy saying that the reason it doesn't match Gears visually is because is doesn't support texture streaming. Those are his words, nobody else's.

Disregard Epic for a minute and just look at Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty 2 and ask yourself which game Resistance is closer to graphically.

It isn't Call of Duty 3.

Resistance has awesome weapons and awesome enemy models, but disappointing environments and zero atmosphere. Now Insomniac developed the engine, Insomniac decided what features they would use and what they wouldn't. Insomniac is the reason the game doesn't look as good as it's peers. It's a "better" game than CoD3, and it's a better game than many of the other games on 360 already, but it game out in November (?) and the games it's directly competing with are; Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, Lost Planet, GRAW2 etc as they are the best looking games on the rival platform.

Saying the game has N64 quality textures was obviously sarcasm but the point still stands that the game is visually underwhelming.
Sorry, but if you think Resistance has zero atmosphere, well, Gears of War has absolutely double-zero atmosphere (going by your logic), right?
Boy, stop your Resistance-bashing. It is a good game with ~88% scorings! Very good for a LAUNCH TITEL!! You are comparing a launch titel without a lot of development time against Gears of War, a second-gen Xbox360 game with A LOT of development time.
You've have said what you wanted! /end

Apocryphon

Ploid 3.0 said:
You have a mighty fine way of showing sarcasm. With the pointing out of the "n64 textures" and all.

I'm guessing when you say "zero atmosphere" you're being sarcastic again.

No, the game doesn't have any atmosphere. It's dull.

The big overreaction to Resistance is due to 'launch game syndrome'. The same thing happened with the worthless piece of s**t that is Perfect Dark Zero, then people eventually came to their senses and saw it for what it was.

Perhaps if i lived in the US and got the game last year i'd be more impressed. As it is, i've already played through numerous other far better looking games and Resistance simply hasn't had any impact on me whatsoever. I see it for what it is; an average shooter with nice character models and great weapons.

If Black was last-gen, then how can this be considered next-gen?! I mean, render Black in 720p and you've already got a better looking game (save for the enemy character models).

The best looking things in resistance are:

[*] The enemy character models
[*] The fire effects
[*] The glass in general

Everything else is a bit meh. Just look at the explosions, they're seriously lame. Thank god for the hedgehog and air-fuel grenades because at least they're satisfying.

I'd agree that the game gets better the further you progress but there are now "wow" inducing moments, and there are certainly no "could 360 do this?" areas. It has a solid framerate but i see nothing that makes me believe that couldn't have achieved a solid 60. Perhaps time was a factor, perhaps not, ...either way i'm not impressed.

MotorStorm on the otherhand is definitely "next-gen". Evolution worked wonders, Insomniac did not.

...and yeah, i own both machines...

ps360cu0.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Majik said:
No, the game doesn't have any atmosphere. It's dull.

The big overreaction to Resistance is due to 'launch game syndrome'. The same thing happened with the worthless piece of s**t that is Perfect Dark Zero, then people eventually came to their senses and saw it for what it was.

actually its the other way round. This game came in underhyped, and grew. The legs this game has is very pleasantly surprising for a launch title.

djkimothy

You don't have to be technically superior to be a good game. Why Resistance worked so well is the MP game modes and the weapon/level designs. That's what gives it so much legs.

Pistolero

So, to sum up :

PS is a piece of sh**; the Cell is sh**; RAM is fuc*** up; RSX is N64 quality; games are horrible; no futur; no coming game of interest; 1,865,018 dollars; Microsoft am better; Nintendo am sold 100,000,000 consoles; Sony am cry; HDMI am not needed...if added else am care; BR am lose...and if wins am not care; 1080p not possible...if comes to ennemy am care...if not am not care...; rumble am necessary totally next-gen I'm slightly electrocuted...

The guy at Insomniac is money-hat...he doesn't have a single argument, obviously !

span multiple discs? uh, if the disc doesnt have enough space, developers will likely compress more than put it on more costy discs

and nobody said they wont buy a system just because of the disc media, look game wii or gamecube

Pistolero said:
So, to sum up :

PS is a piece of sh**; the Cell is sh**; RAM is fuc*** up; RSX is N64 quality; games are horrible; no futur; no coming game of interest; 1,865,018 dollars; Microsoft am better; Nintendo am sold 100,000,000 consoles; Sony am cry; HDMI am not needed...if added else am care; BR am lose...and if wins am not care; 1080p not possible...if comes to ennemy am care...if not am not care...; rumble am necessary totally next-gen I'm slightly electrocuted...

The guy at Insomniac is money-hat...he doesn't have a single argument, obviously !
you can't be slightly electrocuted any more than you can slightly drown.

the rest of your post was even worse.

People bitching about the "bias" or fanboyness of this rant seem to have missed the whole point-- he offered this list up as a counter to some of the equally ridiculous anti-Sony stuff that's been repeated and repeated until it's considered the truth. He says this up front. For instance, people were bitching (incorrectly) about having to re-sync PS3 controllers when you turn it on (not true) or complaining that you have to plug it in to charge it(!), or getting down on PSN vs XBL and not even mentioning the fact that PSN is free-- just a little omission like that.

The article isn't meant to be even handed, it's meant to be the opposite of a lot of slanted stuff that's out there.

THink what you will, but the press/public attitude has been pretty skewed when a game like Resistenace is said to have "sub par" graphics or gets a 6/10 score, or a game like Motorstorm-- flawed though it may be-- get the harsh press that it has. And when little things like the controller's weight get blown out of proportion.

ChryZ

I guess, Majik got LAARK'd a few times too often and turned bitter, eh? :lol

Some maps and stages of Resistance are pretty big, pulling it off with no texture streaming surely explains a lot, but it's far from being an issue.

IMHO the game is reeking atmosphere (at least in certain stages).

Smokey Bones said:
I personally don't care about movies, but the fact that you can DL them from Live is a plus

How about you tell me from that statement..it's really not hard to grasp.

It's just like the Lexus that can parallel park itself. I personally wouldn't care for it or probably use it more than once, but it IS nice to have such a feature.

Uh huh. And it's nice to have Blu-Ray capability out of the box with the PS3. Maybe you don't personally care for it, but it's nice to have that feature. See how that works?

Apocryphon

ChryZ said:
I guess, Majik got LAARK'd a few times too often and turned bitter, eh? :lol

;P

I agree with the rest of his blog post. It comes off as being a little biased but that's to be expected. It was just the Resistance thing.

Ploid 3.0

Ignatz Mouse's post is on the money. Don't see how so many people didn't mention the real idea behind the blog post. Yet they continued with their bashings, and such. Pretty much showing the reason he did this instead of talk about home and LBP more.

Eteric Rice

AltogetherAndrews said:
Uh huh. And it's nice to have Blu-Ray capability out of the box with the PS3. Maybe you don't personally care for it, but it's nice to have that feature. See how that works?

Problem is, I don't think their download service forced them to add $200 to the system's cost.

RavenFox

Banned
rod said:
those screens believe it or not make it look better than it really is
Your quite funny. Ill tell you what I prefer though. 30players instead of 8.
Also more enemies and npc's on screen FTW!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ignatz Mouse said:
People bitching about the "bias" or fanboyness of this rant seem to have missed the whole point-- he offered this list up as a counter to some of the equally ridiculous anti-Sony stuff that's been repeated and repeated until it's considered the truth. He says this up front.
It's almost painful to have to point out the other obvious aspect of his blog: Just because he list reasons why he thinks the PS3 could "win" this generation doesn't necessarily mean he thinks the other platforms will fail miserably. I mean, JFC GAF, not every topic needs to be polarized to absolute black and white.

Top Bottom