• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac gets a new logo

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Did they just FUZE their own logo? Lol WTH

They just lost so much identity with this!

Their old logotype was straight up iconic.

It's like Disney changing the font of their logotype because it's not clean and plain enough...

Really, guys. Change that back while there's time.

De_Legend

Banned

It's like Disney changing the font of their logotype because it's not clean and plain enough...

Omg the end is nigh!!!

mdubs

Banned

Too many weird fonts in the old logo make the studio look less professional. Now they have a slick and clean look

All the hate is a little silly. I mean, when you look beyond your own nostalgic rose tinted glasses, it's pretty clear that the old logo was really dated:

insomniaclogohires580.jpg

That comic-sans ass font looks terrible. If any company made a logo that looked like that today they'd be laughed out of the room.

The new logo looks great!

All the hate is a little silly. I mean, when you look beyond your own nostalgic rose tinted glasses, it's pretty clear that the old logo was really dated:

That comic-sans ass font looks terrible. If any company made a logo that looked like that today they'd be laughed out of the room.

They make videogames, not health centers.
At least the old one was memorable and fun.

the text LITERALLY looks like it was drawn, scanned and then procedurally vectorized in Illustrator. Amateur hour shit. and imagine a detailed, illustrated moon being part of a logo in a world where logos need to be as responsive as websites. also "games" is a squashed (that's a no-no) version of Bank Sans -- THE most generic "sci-fi cool" font after Eurostile.

edit: puking on the post above mine :barf

8byte

Banned
They make videogames, not health centers.
At least the old one was memorable and fun.

The old logo wasn't very flexible for reproduction across all mediums, and leaves little in the way of modification for "special" occasions.

The new logo is head and shoulders better for a business, which is what they are at the end of the day, not a playground.

LordofPwn

I like it, Not as much character as their old one but looks a lot more respectful. Re-brands are always tough and this is way better than most. Anyone remember the Gap re-design that got shot down like a week or 2 after it was announced? looked like it was thrown together by an intern that only had access to word art.
gap_logo.top.gif

Kawika

I prefer their old one.

My first thought.

Old one had way more personality.

I agree.

IG_logo_timeline.png

Not bad, not bad. I kinda like it, and I usually don't like logo redesigns.

Once you see them all side by side, I think the new logo is growing on me. For whatever reason in the OP I didn't like it. Maybe seeing it smaller and with a black background I could take in the moon effect. I am not mad they changed it but...

I prefer the Spider-Man reveal logo

82zFgSd.jpg

I still really like this version the best. The new one isn't bad though. At least its no Snake-Pass-Icon level downgrade. I would call this more of a side grade. Still, if i were in charge, I would keep the older logo.

For the record, I am uncomfortable with change as a rule. /shrug

NotLiquid

I prefer the Spider-Man reveal logo

82zFgSd.jpg

If they wanted to flatten the logo they should have gone with this.

The new logo is so boring. Impersonal. Unimaginative. There's a sense of whimsical creativity I feel that's associated with their games when I look at their old logo. It was unique, playful and distinct, and this new one just feels like every other modern mininalist logo on the planet.

21x2

Much less character.
I hate this sterile design trend. For UI it works well (...provided it doesn't come at the expense of functionality, which seems to be the case quite often) but for logotypes it's just so boring. Just like Google's new logo.
Boring.

PMS341

Very 2010s of them.

Graphic design is in a very flat, clean, app-friendly era no doubt. Not a bad logo, just very safe.

Stencil

You guys saying "ew" and all that; you really prefer the old logo? Looked like a damn RL Stine novel. It was immutably reminiscent of 1995.

AudioEppa

I wanna see the new logo with different colors. Then I can know if I like it or not.

I didn't like Ubisoft's new logo until I saw different styles of color.

barneygumbleilikeit.gif

I'm fascinated by the divide in this thread and the nostalgia for the old design. Most of the arguments seem to boil down to "this new one has no personality" which I think is more true if you said "this new one has less personality." The previous logo is definitely dated based on font choices and the main identifier for the logo was the moon which needed to be refit to match the style of the new font. I think the new logo is a good compromise: it modernizes the font and keeps the best idea from the original logo. The old logo definitely looks like something 15 year old me would have cooked up in 06: the main font is a high energy "edgy" brushstroke style silhouetted with outlines (which were very in style then) and the "games" is in a "high tech" squat gothic font. Basically everything games were marketed to be at that time: "cool" "cutting edge" "edgy". The biggest criticism I can level at this new design is it lacks immediate punch in the way its predecessor did, its font is bold in a literal sense, but not really in a figurative sense IMO.

Edit: looking at it again, the visual interest on the N helps add balance and gives it some much needed distinction.

firelogic

Probably already said but the new logo gives me a Portal vibe with the font and 'O' graphic.

I like the new one. More professional.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If I enhance the SPACE effect of the Twitter image they posted, do people like it more?

wPdZupg.jpg

Works better for me. The seeming glow off the typefont elevates the logo beyond the sterile feel of the image in the OP.

Old one is better, new one is the usual Apple App / WinX App make everything look flat and simple approach. Which I don't like at all (it could be worse though).

Top Bottom