• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac gets a new logo

Van Bur3n

Looks like every other modern minimalist logo that's out there on this day and age. They should get a graphic designer that shoots for the moon as well.

Yukinari

The minimalism of todays corporations is so bland and uninspired that im not even surprised anymore.

The moon in Insomniac's logo, the fox critter for Traveler's Tales, the purple swirl for Ubisoft.

Remove iconic part of logo is the theme of the 2010's.

MtZ9N.gif

I hate this gif so much. It's almost as if a forum of hundreds of thousands of people will have dissenting opinions!

B.O.O.M

Prefer the old one..by a mile. And no this is not some nostalgia thing either. The old one had a very unique look compared to the new one

Minimalism in logos is not a new trend. Logos are minimalistic by nature. The point of a logo is to distil an entire identity into a symbol or a typography free from any unnecessary elements. Basically it's essence.

The most iconic logos have always been this way since forever. Nike, Apple, McDonalds, FedEx, Audi, etc.

In this case the new logo is an improvement, not because it's great or exceptional (it's ok), but because the previous one was just really bad.

Blam

And you've just killed all the character you had for your logo in one swift swoop.

Keep the moon, drop the font.

Do people really think this type of logo design is a new trend? Look up any logo redesign from the last half decade at least. This is them catching up with the times.

Fantastic redesign, btw. Professional, unique, and the O is a great concept giving them a simple icon to identify with, that also calls back to the old moon.

Do people in this thread miss the old iPhone skeuomorphism too?

It's not unique. That's the entire point. I am not saying previous logo was perfect and couldn't use a refresh, but "lowly detailed smooth sans serif letters with no background at all and geometric spin on some of them" is the opposite of identifiable. It isn't "name AND image", right, but these tend to have distinguishable images. The O, which is the only non-template part of the whole thing, looks like it could have been a currency symbol for Canadian cent or reduced copyright designator, which is the sort of thing only the biggest brands can sometimes get away with, and even then it's rare. Insomniac is not McDonald's, so such a simple shape is forgettable if anything.

Cory Schmitz is a hack who deserves to be unemployed. Yet another excellent logo ruined and replaced by generic shit. You literally suck the life out of text. Sucker Punch, SSM, and now this. I've had enough. Web 2.0 is the laziest shit in the world.

jayu26

If they make another Ratchet game then they should use the older logo for it. It is more fitting for that series.

Mit-

It's not unique. That's the entire point. I am not saying previous logo was perfect and couldn't use a refresh, but "lowly detailed smooth sans serif letters with no background at all and geometric spin on some of them" is the opposite of identifiable. It isn't "name AND image", right, but these tend to have distinguishable images. The O, which is the only non-template part of the whole thing, looks like it could have been a currency symbol for Canadian cent or reduced copyright designator, which is the sort of thing only the biggest brands can sometimes get away with, and even then it's rare. Insomniac is not McDonald's, so such a simple shape is forgettable if anything.

Honestly I think their description of its identifying characteristics shows that it is indeed pretty unique, and makes it fairly recognizable still when compared to their old logo:

...It’s got a lunar theme, with what appear to be two crescent moons facing each other as the “O” – reminiscent of our past and future...

Observant fans will see the subtle callbacks to our previous Insomniac Games logo, including the oversized “O,” serif lettering on the “N” and the positioning of “Games” as a core part of our identity.

Do you have an example of a rebranded icon that isn't too simplistic? And also doesn't look like it was design 15 years ago? This is an O that is also two moons, which I think is pretty damn cool.

8byte

Banned
My problem with these threads are the arm chair designers who have opinions but not information. All of the considerations one must make for a logo, to include legibility across all mediums...it's just really absurd to question certain things if you don't have that background.

As for "why are all businesses going minimalistic"...it's probably for multiple reasons, though I have my reservations that anyone who brought that up actually has any genuine curiosity, they're just making a knee jerk complaint in a thread they likely won't visit again.

I feel like it lost some character along the way. I think they could have used an update, cause the old one looks like it came from early 2000s, but this one is just plain.

I mean it makes no difference to the games they make but in the words of Mr Horse from Ren & Stimpy.

"Hmmmmmmm....... No sir, I don't like it."

Kadayi

Banned
The idea is great, implementation less so.

The kerning is busted due to the jaunty angle on the Ns, and the upturn on the C though reminiscent of the earlier logo leads the eye away from 'Games'. Reverence should never override sense,

Looks better white on black though

HvySky

I like it. Obviously it's following the modern trend of clean, minimal, and sleek, but it actually works pretty well and still retains the identity of the company with the blue moon.

Top Bottom