• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Institutional Racism: The continued war on Black America

Status
Not open for further replies.

undrtakr900

yeah that's what I mean, all colored folk all around the world face prejudice but mainly in the U.S I feel like I hear it about black people and latino people, coz they make up most of the colored population. Maybe.

I just got back from a masjid in Manhattan and there were a lot of brown people and I think a good amount of black people too. That's just NY though.
Well blacks only make up 13% of the population and are mostly concentrated in a select few states/cities. So most of the white/foreign population (who's had little/no interaction with black people), will create sterotypes based on what they see in the media.

Huffington had a good article on it...
"Images of Black Males in Popular Media"
"Capturing our imagination as a society, film exemplifies how media images provide us with a manufactured reality of misrepresentations that guides societal perceptions of black men, whether real or imagined. Take the 2001 film Training Day, for example. Denzel Washington’s role as Alonzo Harris provides one of the most enduring and threatening depictions of black men as violent criminals. The criminal mindedness of Washington’s character is underscored by the contrast to his white partner, Ethan Hawke, who plays the role of good cop and a morally righteous man. "

undrtakr900

(Sorry for the double post)

I just found another relevant article of the disparity of the medias bias towards black people....

"When The Media Treats White Suspects And Killers Better Than Black Victims"

Can you guess which guy killed 12 (& injured 70) people in a theater shooting attack, and which guy robbed a liquor store and punched a cop?
BuxsgjdCcAEi6Dt.jpg

(more headlines at the link)

(Sorry for the double post)

I just found another relevant article of the disparity of the medias bias towards black people....

"When The Media Treats White Suspects And Killers Better Than Black Victims"

Can you guess which guy killed 12 (& injured 70) people in a theater shooting attack, and which guy robbed a liquor store and punched a cop?

(more headlines at the link)

The most famous example of this probably came from Katrina (An incident that could spin off into dozens of different topics regarding racism) :

o4bzwL5.jpg

undrtakr900

^^ yeah, I think that's the most famous example, but the other article also take the disparity in which picture they use.

With blacks it's always the "gangsta" picture or "scary black guy" mugshot, but white people its a nice school or family picture.

My local news does it all the time for smaller stories, in addition to the widely covered news stories.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
^^ yeah, I think that's the most famous example, but the other article also take the disparity in which picture they use.

With blacks it's always the "gangsta" picture or "scary black guy" mugshot, but white people its a nice school or family picture.

My local news does it all the time for smaller stories, in addition to the widely covered news stories.

White people get interviewed in schools, churches and nice home living room settings. We get interviewed in parking lots, in front of the corner store or on the porch with the head peeking out of the crack of the door. Though that last one may just be a defensive technique, which I'm 100% fine with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom