• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Institutional Racism: The continued war on Black America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
I just wanted to post a huge thank you to Amir0x, Mumei, and all the contributors to this thread. It's been a powerful and useful tool when discussing these sorts of issues with others. This thread and other recent events prompted me to finally share my experience with the police in a place where many think we are too diverse to be biggotted. You can watch my Facebook video here:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=760080097374539&id=100001176668839&notif_t=like&_rdr
Sorry about the low volume but I was working under time constraints and didn’t get to do as much post production as I would have liked.

These problems are so huge and entrenched I'm not sure exactly how to go about making positive change. I know engaging people in these discussions, sharing my experience and protesting are a start but I want to make a larger impact. I'm just not sure how.

Yay, impressions!

I had much the same reaction. It put into words what had bothered me about the arguments - that they were all connected by the same worldview but I didn't know how to articulate what I thought I was seeing.

On to the next one: I have a few dozen pages left in Racism Without Racists,but I did jump into another book on your reading list:
"How the Irish Became White"
Fascinating read but an ultimately saddening book, in that its more or less a triumph of white supremacism in the way Irish Americans became accepted by and integrated with the American mainstream. Irish American working classes of the mid to late 1800s submitted their application for American whiteness in blood and prejudice, with violent antagonism toward African Americans and the severing of the communal bonds that existed between the two groups.

I find it interesting how pervasive and insidious the anti-abolitionist argument of 1800s was:that black slaves in the south were better off than white
"wage slaves" in the northern states. Even some pro abolitionists in the North paid lip service to the anti-slavery cause, but complained that
free whites enduring terrible labour conditions took precedence over blacks in the south, who didnt live such a terrible life on their plantations anyway.
The book notes escaped slave Frederick Douglass' ready response to this argument: those who considered white labourers considerably worse off than black slaves should apply to fill the vacant position at his former plantation. Haha.

Mumei

On to the next one: I have a few dozen pages left in Racism Without Racists,but I did jump into another book on your reading list: "How the Irish Became White"

Fascinating read but an ultimately saddening book, in that its more or less a triumph of white supremacism in the way Irish Americans became accepted by and integrated with the American mainstream. Irish American working classes of the mid to late 1800s submitted their application for American whiteness in blood and prejudice, with violent antagonism toward African Americans and the severing of the communal bonds that existed between the two groups.

I find it interesting how pervasive and insidious the anti-abolitionist argument of 1800s was:that black slaves in the south were better off than white "wage slaves" in the northern states. Even some pro abolitionists in the North paid lip service to the anti-slavery cause, but complained that free whites enduring terrible labour conditions took precedence over blacks in the south, who didnt live such a terrible life on their plantations anyway.

The book notes escaped slave Frederick Douglass' ready response to this argument: those who considered white labourers considerably worse off than black slaves should apply to fill the vacant position at his former plantation. Haha.

It really is depressing, especially when you read about how strong the anti-slavery movement in Ireland was. And yeah, I was somehow surprised by those arguments. I thought before reading that, "Well, sure today there might be confused people who think that they are the Real Victims or engage in false equivalencies or whatever, but surely people weren't thinking that during slavery, right?" Well, no.

I tend to be less surprised by things the more I read, but that was one thing that went against my expectations for some reason.

Lime

This is nothing new and the same points have been mentioned throughout this thread. I still thought it was worth a share.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/u...icks-of-racial-bias-.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Arguments about race are often heated and anecdotal. As a social scientist, I naturally turn to empirical research for answers. As it turns out, an impressive body of research spanning decades addresses just these issues — and leads to some uncomfortable conclusions and makes us look at this debate from a different angle

But we can isolate the effect of race to some degree. A study I conducted in 2003 with Marianne Bertrand, an economist at the University of Chicago, illustrates how. We mailed thousands of résumés to employers with job openings and measured which ones were selected for callbacks for interviews. But before sending them, we randomly used stereotypically African-American names (such as “Jamal”) on some and stereotypically white names (like “Brendan”) on others.

The same résumé was roughly 50 percent more likely to result in callback for an interview if it had a “white” name. Because the résumés were statistically identical, any differences in outcomes could be attributed only to the factor we manipulated: the names.

Other studies have also examined race and employment. In a 2009 study, Devah Pager, Bruce Western and Bart Bonikowski, all now sociologists at Harvard, sent actual people to apply for low-wage jobs. They were given identical résumés and similar interview training. Their sobering finding was that African-American applicants with no criminal record were offered jobs at a rate as low as white applicants who had criminal records.

■ When doctors were shown patient histories and asked to make judgments about heart disease, they were much less likely to recommend cardiac catheterization (a helpful procedure) to black patients — even when their medical files were statistically identical to those of white patients.

■ When whites and blacks were sent to bargain for a used car, blacks were offered initial prices roughly $700 higher, and they received far smaller concessions.

■ Several studies found that sending emails with stereotypically black names in response to apartment-rental ads on Craigslist elicited fewer responses than sending ones with white names. A regularly repeated study by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development sent African-Americans and whites to look at apartments and found that African-Americans were shown fewer apartments to rent and houses for sale.

■ White state legislators were found to be less likely to respond to constituents with African-American names. This was true of legislators in both political parties.

■ Emails sent to faculty members at universities, asking to talk about research opportunities, were more likely to get a reply if a stereotypically white name was used.

■ Even eBay auctions were not immune. When iPods were auctioned on eBay, researchers randomly varied the skin color on the hand holding the iPod. A white hand holding the iPod received 21 percent more offers than a black hand.

The criminal justice system — the focus of current debates — is harder to examine this way. One study, though, found a clever method. The pools of people from which jurors are chosen are effectively random. Analyzing this natural experiment revealed that an all-white jury was 16 percentage points more likely to convict a black defendant than a white one, but when a jury had one black member, it convicted both at the same rate.

This kind of discrimination — crisply articulated in a 1995 article by the psychologists Mahzarin Banaji of Harvard and Anthony Greenwald of the University of Washington — has been studied by dozens of researchers who have documented implicit bias outside of our awareness.

The key to “fast thinking” discrimination is that we all share it. Good intentions do not guarantee immunity. One study published in 2007 asked subjects in a video-game simulation to shoot at people who were holding a gun. (Some were criminals; some were innocent bystanders.) African-Americans were shot at a higher rate, even those who were not holding guns.

Most of the above falls into the "no shit" category for me but this one stood out over and above the rest

When doctors were shown patient histories and asked to make judgments about heart disease, they were much less likely to recommend cardiac catheterization (a helpful procedure) to black patients — even when their medical files were statistically identical to those of white patients.
Oh hell no. These are highly trained professionals dealing with people's physical well being. They have no acceptable excuse for that shit.
I hope the physicians responsible for this documented bias are made aware of it, since it goes against the ethos of their profession.

Most of the above falls into the "no shit" category for me but this one stood out over and above the rest

Oh hell no. These are highly trained professionals dealing with people's physical well being. They have no acceptable excuse for that shit.
I hope the physicians responsible for this documented bias are made aware of it, since it goes against the ethos of their profession.

You say this like being a professional would some how shield you from all the biases of lesser educated people. If the most educated people and higher ups cared and were aware and ready to destroy acts against human rights and unfair treatment we wouldn't have this issue at all. It's the bias in the upper class that scares me far more than the bias amongst the lower class who have no real persuasion power.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is nothing new and the same points have been mentioned throughout this thread. I still thought it was worth a share.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/u...icks-of-racial-bias-.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

MY GOD! As a black man, this post literally scared me because it got me thinking what will my kids have to go through if I have any. And what about my future? Luckily for me I have a "white" sounding name so I pass on the resume test.

And this is exactly why me and the wife constantly argue over what name to give our kid (if we end up having one or two). I want them to have a black sounding name due to how in love I am with my people (it's ingrained in me what can I say). But she wants to give them a white name so they don't have to struggle as much.

The thought of this thinking is sad is hell :(

I want his name to be something like "Nasir", "Trayvon", or "Malik" and she would like "Tom", "Steve", or "Joseph". :-/
I want her name to be something like "Nia", "Desirae", or "Imani" and she would like "Jennifer", "Tiffany", or "Madisen". :-/

But after reading all the data, how can I fault her?

MY GOD! As a black man, this post literally scared me because it got me thinking what will my kids have to go through if I have any. And what about my future? Luckily for me I have a "white" sounding name so I pass on the resume test.

And this is exactly why me and the wife constantly argue over what name to give our kid (if we end up having one or two). I want them to have a black sounding name due to how in love I am with my people (it's ingrained in me what can I say). But she wants to give them a white name so they don't have to struggle as much.

I want his name to be something like "Nasir", "Trayvon", or "Malik" and she would like "Tom", "Steve", or "Joseph". :-/
I want her name to be something like "Nia", "Desirae", or "Imani" and she would like "Jennifer", "Tiffany", or "Madisen". :-/

Nasir & Nia :)

Lime

I'm so sorry to hear about you going through that, mckmas8808. Both courses of action are understandable and justified, but it's really sad and depressing that things have to be like this.

Amir0x

Banned
I love that this thread is still active and the data is still flowing. I didn't think it'd last this long. But there's so much new information being shared that it's a treasure trove of hardcore facts about a tragic problem in the country. Proud to be a GAFer :D

I guess as an Irish person who now lives in the U.S., I should read How the Irish Became White. My wife knows a little about the subject through The History of White People (which is probably worth recommending in this thread too) and I'm vaguely aware of the facts, but it's pretty dispiriting that Irish-Americans turned so readily on blacks when the opportunity was presented.

Although one of the most heartening stories of all time is the friendship between Frederick Douglass and Daniel O'Connell: http://douglassoconnellmemorial.org/

"Instead of the bright, blue sky of America, I am covered with the soft, grey fog of the Emerald Isle. I breathe, and lo! the chattel becomes a man."

-Frederick Douglass, letter to William Lloyd Garrison, 1845

NEO0MJ

I guess as an Irish person who now lives in the U.S., I should read How the Irish Became White. My wife knows a little about the subject through The History of White People (which is probably worth recommending in this thread too) and I'm vaguely aware of the facts, but it's pretty dispiriting that Irish-Americans turned so readily on blacks when the opportunity was presented.

Considering the time period and how bad things were, would it really be surprising that they'd take the chance to prop themselves up at the cost of other people's well-being? Seems like this things happens a lot throughout history.

Mumei

I guess because blacks know the cops are watching and whites know the cops ain't looking.

Probably. And I think it might have come up earlier in the thread, but we're bound to have some repeating information in a thread like this.

andthebeatgoeson

That reminds me. I need to start donating to the ACLU. They only seek justice.

Well, I went with Hebrew. Has some ethnicity to it. It was easy for me as a Christian. Just can't get caught up in present day conflicts. Like, Solomon sounds strong.

'Don't fuck with Solomon. He about six five or something.'

Lime

On how White Americans and their closed-off experiences and lack of interaction with people of color contribute to their failure to understand cases like #BlackLivesMatter:

Clearly white Americans see the broader significance of Michael Brown’s death through radically different lenses than black Americans. There are myriad reasons for this divergence, from political ideologies—which, for example, place different emphases on law and order versus citizens’ rights—to fears based in racist stereotypes of young black men. But the chief obstacle to having an intelligent, or even intelligible, conversation across the racial divide is that on average white Americans live in communities that face far fewer problems and talk mostly to other white people.

A 2012 PRRI survey found that black Americans report higher levels of problems in their communities compared to whites. Black Americans were, on average, nearly 20 percentage points more likely than white Americans to say a range of issues were major problems in their community: lack of good jobs (20 points), lack of opportunities for young people (16 points), lack of funding for public schools (19 points), crime (23 points), and racial tensions (18 points).

d9bff9475.png

These incongruous community contexts certainly set the stage for cultural conflict and misunderstanding, but the paucity of integrated social networks—the places where meaning is attached to experience—amplify and direct these experiences toward different ends. Drawing on techniques from social network analysis, PRRI’s 2013 American Values Survey asked respondents to identify as many as seven people with whom they had discussed important matters in the six months prior to the survey. The results reveal just how segregated white social circles are.

Overall, the social networks of whites are a remarkable 91 percent white.* White American social networks are only one percent black, one percent Hispanic, one percent Asian or Pacific Islander, one percent mixed race, and one percent other race. In fact, fully three-quarters (75 percent) of whites have entirely white social networks without any minority presence. This level of social-network racial homogeneity among whites is significantly higher than among black Americans (65 percent) or Hispanic Americans (46 percent).

79324c442.jpg

And national survey data suggests that the need for this kind of parental coaching persists in the black community today. When given a choice between two traits that respondents believe their child should have, a 2012 PRRI survey found that African Americans are far more likely than white Americans to favor “obedience” over “self-reliance.” By a margin of three to one (75 percent to 25 percent), African Americans preferred “obedience” to “self-reliance;” among white Americans, only 41 percent preferred “obedience,” compared to 59 percent who preferred “self-reliance.”

I have a white friend who drives aound with weed, empty beer cans and all sorts of contrband in the cab area of his car and I refuse to ride with him because of fear that we will get pulled over and cops will assume its mines and nail me. I ask him if hes crazy and why he rides around with all that crap in his car and his response was cops aren't worried about what I got or looking for me so im good. As a black man I have been pulled over and nearly arrested for riding clean because "I fit the description" of a suspect at large.

Tawpgun

Ah, glad there's somewhat of an OT on this. This is regarding the Black Lives Matter protests.

This happened in Boston this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterBOS/posts/277130462410823

I know blocking traffic is a common tactic in this movement. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a tactic because for one, it gets you a lot of needed attention and visibility but at the same time it polarizes the movement. People on the fence would probably side against the protesters because they are impacting innocent lives and even black lives negatively while protesting for change. I get the idea of "Sorry for the inconvenience, we're trying to change the world thing"

But what these guys did in Boston was idiotic. For one, I think a majority of the protesters were white. If not, they were non-black. But they not only blocked traffic on 2 sides of the highway, but they chained themselves up. This is so dangerous and irresponsible not only for them but for everyone else. There are public service vehicles, firetrucks and ambulances that have vital work to do and these protesters wouldn't be able to move if they tried. At least when others blocked the highways they could move in case of an emergency.

I really hope this is just an isolated incident and they learn from the mistake. I support this movement. I was at one of the rally's for a bit. But this is NOT helping and its frustrating to see actions like these hurt the movement.

Oh and another thing, I looked up some of the names they listed as people killed by BPD in the last 15 years... I looked up 3-4 of the names. One of them beat his girlfriend and came at the police with a knife. Another had a lengthy criminal and gang history, just got out of jail for bringing a semi automatic rifle to a college classroom, and he died in a shootout where he wounded a police officer. Another was a war veteran with PTSD who managed to get a cops service weapon and point it at the officer. Luckily the officer moves his aim away and he missed.

I'm a white male so it feels weird criticizing a black focused movement (should it feel weird?) but I just think the way they are going about this is allll wrong.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And national survey data suggests that the need for this kind of parental coaching persists in the black community today. When given a choice between two traits that respondents believe their child should have, a 2012 PRRI survey found that African Americans are far more likely than white Americans to favor “obedience” over “self-reliance.” By a margin of three to one (75 percent to 25 percent), African Americans preferred “obedience” to “self-reliance;” among white Americans, only 41 percent preferred “obedience,” compared to 59 percent who preferred “self-reliance.”

This is a very interesting finding. Feels like this has to be due to decades or maybe centuries long conditioning of the two races overall.

I find this stat to be so interesting.....

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Oh and another thing, I looked up some of the names they listed as people killed by BPD in the last 15 years... I looked up 3-4 of the names. One of them beat his girlfriend and came at the police with a knife. Another had a lengthy criminal and gang history, just got out of jail for bringing a semi automatic rifle to a college classroom, and he died in a shootout where he wounded a police officer. Another was a war veteran with PTSD who managed to get a cops service weapon and point it at the officer. Luckily the officer moves his aim away and he missed.

I'm a white male so it feels weird criticizing a black focused movement (should it feel weird?) but I just think the way they are going about this is allll wrong.
I recognized one name as a woman who slit her 3 year old and 5 year olds throat before the incident a dozen years ago, they really didn't do their homework.

Reflex

Neo Member
Wanna see how easy it is to get sucked into the system? This chick grabbed a dude while he was celebrating a win in an attempt to get him disqualified. At best he wouldn't been booted from the tournament, but at worst... If she hadn't been so brazen it might've worked. This guy could've been swarmed by all kinds of white knights and had a possibly violent run in with the police, and she would've never owned up to it, especially if things had gone badly for him. Why? So she wouldn't lose a videogame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M-WuqcDJKo

lednerg

[...]

Whenever I hear about protesters blocking traffic, I can't help but be reminded of how that's exactly what the undercover cops at OWS wanted them to do. Not saying that's the case here, but just saying.

Also, this really isn't the OT for the protests, even though they're tangentially related.

andthebeatgoeson

Ah,
But what these guys did in Boston was idiotic. For one, I think a majority of the protesters were white. If not, they were non-black. But they not only blocked traffic on 2 sides of the highway, but they chained themselves up. This is so dangerous and irresponsible not only for them but for everyone else. There are public service vehicles, firetrucks and ambulances that have vital work to do and these protesters wouldn't be able to move if they tried. At least when others blocked the highways they could move in case of an emergency.

I really hope this is just an isolated incident and they learn from the mistake. I support this movement. I was at one of the rally's for a bit. But this is NOT helping and its frustrating to see actions like these hurt the movement.

I recognized one name as a woman who slit her 3 year old and 5 year olds throat before the incident a dozen years ago, they really didn't do their homework.
I think that the protests are about a general feeling of lack of accountability. When you see police officers not punished for blatant crimes, it's natural to suspect all actions. If your girl cheats on you, it's natural for you to become upset at even the slightest perceived offense. No one would reasonably question you for flipping out at her getting phone calls from an unknown male if they know the situation.

So, what you are seeing is a lack of trust. Now, all police killings are criticized. You may believe the protesters are doing themselves a disservice but that's because you are not able to empathize with them. It's not about homework or protesting 'the right way'. I would claim that the moment you have to walk the streets with hundreds of people to claim a right for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, all bets are off. Frustration and emotion rule that act.

Even the criticism of protesting a certain way makes me question how you think they should protest? What's the proper way to protest? And how did you come to that conclusion?

RedSwirl

Y'know what I think I'm just gonna save the OP link for all time somewhere, to pull out whenever I need to give somebody a reference.

Better yet, can anybody save that shit as a PDF or something?

Wray

Sorry. But I'm bumping this for conenviance. Was buried in my subscriptions and needed to bust this thread out to educate another #notallcops idiot on Facebook.

This thread has one of the best OPs in neogaf history IMO.

Blatz

Guys, I need some help. I'm trying to read through this entire, awesome, thread but I'm running out of time.

What should I say to someone who is hell bent on saying "It's because blacks break the law more"? Obviously, I wasting my time on an idiot, but I can't just let it go. Everything I've said up to this point has gone nowhere. Thanks

Guys, I need some help. I'm trying to read through this entire, awesome, thread but I'm running out of time.

What should I say to someone who is hell bent on saying "It's because blacks break the law more"? Obviously, I wasting my time on an idiot, but I can't just let it go. Everything I've said up to this point has gone nowhere. Thanks
People stupid enough to think a person's race makes them more or less likely to do something instead of the external factors in their life cannot be reasoned with. They're racist.

Lime

Just like Liu Kang above, you could ask the person in question (if we assume that black americans break the law more often - is this even true?):

1) Do you think this is inherent to the melanin level?

or

2) Do you think this is due to external factors, growing up in White supremacy, poverty, housing discrimination, genocide/slavery, segregation, Jim Crow laws, incarceration, police brutality and profiling, and all the other things mentioned throughout this thread? Things that have nothing to do with who they are, but perhaps how society treats them and the cards they are dealt with from the moment they are born and continue to live in a White supremacist society.

One of these answers is overt racist.

Yeah the argument that blacks commit more violent crimes is usually the go-to fallback for racists, and sadly it is backed up by facts.

It just blows my mind that people use that as an excuse for racism.

Mumei

Yeah the argument that blacks commit more crimes is usually the go-to fallback for racists, and sadly it is backed up by facts.

It just blows my mind that people use that as an excuse for racism.

One of the best books I've read about that came out last year:

51DNokWz%2BrL.jpg

It's really interesting, and it manages to marry big picture analysis / historical scope with a story in a specific city (L.A.).

This Vox post is essentially a Cliff Notes version of the argument made in the book at greater length and in greater detail.

Blatz

2) Do you think this is due to external factors, growing up in White supremacy, poverty, housing discrimination, genocide/slavery, segregation, Jim Crow laws, incarceration, police brutality and profiling, and all the other things mentioned throughout this thread? Things that have nothing to do with who they are, but perhaps how society treats them and the cards they are dealt with from the moment they are born and continue to live in a White supremacist society.

Thanks for responding. I would venture to say that these guys would respond to this by saying that these things don't exist anymore (Jim Crow/segregation/slavery, ect) and now they're playing the victim.

This logic makes me want bang my head into a wall, but people think like that...for real.

Lime

Thanks for responding. I would venture to say that these guys would respond to this by saying that these things don't exist anymore (Jim Crow/segregation/slavery, ect) and now they're playing the victim.

This logic makes me want bang my head into a wall, but people think like that...for real.

Just send them a link to this thread or a bunch of all the articles that has been posted in the OP and throughout the thread.

The US justice department just sued the Ferguson PD for racial discrimination and is investigating the Chicago PD for the same thing, so uh, these things are plainly still happening and federal government having to address these issues is proof.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Poor people are more likely to commit crimes, and black people are disproportionately stuck in poverty and/or poor neighborhoods.

undrtakr900

Sorry, for the bump, but I just wanted to say this thread is wonderfully researched/compiled and all the statistics, graphs, etc. has helped me to enlighten many ignorant** people to the black (wo)man's plight. Just wanted to say thanks again to Amir0x👍

** I don't necessarily mean ignorant as a "negative", mostly people who are misinformed or skeptical because they never witnessed or been victims of discrimination.

damn I didn't realize how old the OP was, otherwise I was gonna ask where do the other races fall in america? unless there just aren't enough of them in head count

Should've been a 30 page thread. But there really was no counter argument for those type of posters to show out.

Solid info.

Sorry, for the bump, but I just wanted to say this thread is wonderfully researched/compiled and all the statistics, graphs, etc. has helped me to enlighten many ignorant people to the black (wo)man's plight. Just wanted to say thanks again to Amir0x👍
indeed, but it is a struggle for all colored folk. this us-based research, right? maybe that's why.

DedValve

Banned
This thread is insane @_@

Reaaaallly great to see the fucking drug war put out there for all to see in its miserable, pathetic, racist failure. Crazy on those crack/cocaine minimums.

undrtakr900

indeed, but it is a struggle for all colored folk. this us-based research, right? maybe that's why.
Yes this research is from the US, but you hear reports of colored people all over the world dealing with discrimination.

Just last November in Austrailia, 6 Black Students Ejected from Apple Store Because They “Might Steal Something"

Another black user here (Anecdotal Story), said he was searched when he went oversea. When he a asked "Why he was singled out", they bluntly said because you're black and could be smuggling drugs. [This was years ago and I forgot what thread it was for the link]

Yes this research is from the US, but you hear reports of colored people all over the world dealing with discrimination.

Just last November in Austrailia, 6 Black Students Ejected from Apple Store Because They “Might Steal Something"

Another black user here (Anecdotal Story), said he was searched when he went oversea. When he a asked "Why he was singled out", they bluntly said because you're black and could be smuggling drugs. [This was years ago and I forgot what thread it was for the link]

yeah that's what I mean, all colored folk all around the world face prejudice but mainly in the U.S I feel like I hear it about black people and latino people, coz they make up most of the colored population. Maybe.

I just got back from a masjid in Manhattan and there were a lot of brown people and I think a good amount of black people too. That's just NY though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom