• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Haswell-E (i7 5960X, i7 5930K and i7 5820K) info leaked.

Renekton

Aw dammit I knew this'd happen a few months after I bought my 4770k. Would probably have gotten a 6core.
Well you saved yourself from being butchered by x99 and DDR4 prices for minor gaming gains.

I'm also not sure if wide multi-threading will happen this gaming generation.

Momentary

Banned
Has a 6 core intel CPU ever been that cheap?

Hell no.

Well you saved yourself from being butchered by x99 and DDR4 prices for minor gaming gains.

DDR4 prices are pretty damn good. Newegg has sticks of them up for sale right now. I think you can get 16 gigs for around $210. Yeah it's more expensive, but no where near as much as I thought they were going to price it.

Grief.exe

Consoles having such a large number of threads with a low clock per core, and games steadily dropping x86 support I'd imagine they will become the majority.

2500k still a beast though.

Vormund

Consoles having such a large number of threads with a low clock per core, and games steadily dropping x86 support I'd imagine they will become the majority.

2500k still a beast though.

True that. Haven't even felt the need to OC mine at all yet. Even liquid cooled for when I eventually do.

Momentary

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen a six core Intel processor cheaper than $550. I might as well go with the 5820 and a x99 mobo.... and some DDR4

Grief.exe

True that. Haven't even felt the need to OC mine at all yet. Even liquid cooled for when I eventually do.

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

belmonkey

Since the x820 CPU has gained 2 cores, is it reasonable to maybe expect a i7 6770 to go the way of 6C/12T too, or even i3s / i5s change in number of cores in a year or two?

astonish

That 6 core is lower than I thought it would be and were going to be building new PCs at work soon, even the 8 core is tempting. By October I'd imagine a whole wave of great new things will be here: these chips, DDR4, NVMe based Intel PCIe storage, and 8xx Nvidia cards. This bodes well for my Windows (9?) workstation, but throws a multitude of wrenches into my plan to dual boot the new machine as a hackintosh. Might have to just drop $500 on a Z87/97 + parts lying around for that instead.

Edit: can you even buy DDR4 yet?

Eusis

I actually backed off for now due to some (perceived?) stability issues and now the fact I'm making a habit of using sleep... which this mobo does not like combined with overclocking. Though maybe a Bios update I applied when attempting to install a hand down SSD worked to resolve that?

But I feel like the time for me to mess with that is whenever I get a new video card, assuming that isn't with a whole new computer build (which I can probably avoid pending something critical dying on me anyway like the mobo or CPU.)

Renekton

Since the x820 CPU has gained 2 cores, is it reasonable to maybe expect a i7 6770 to go the way of 6C/12T too, or even i3s / i5s change in number of cores in a year or two?
IINM Broadwell and Skylake will still be 4/8 for mainstream desktops.

There is currently not much impetus (market demand, competition or software) for Intel to push 6-core into mainstream.

Since I get 50% off of Intel stuff I'm thinking I may build another rig in January.
Efffff you! :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The 6 core 3930k is still around that price tag but a little cheaper.
To correct myself, there hasn't been as cheap a 6 core but it also doesn't have the full lane capacity to support 2 PCI3.0 are x16. That's pretty important to the full saturation of an SLI/CF setups. So the 3930k is still a very viable CPU long term.

Hindl

Damn between the 5820K being that much and the rumors about the 800 series being cheaper than before, looks like it's a pretty good time to think about building a new rig

Wow, I'll be waiting to build a DDR4 machine until those drop in price, not enough of incentive to even change CPUs yet.

Btw, do we even know when Broadwell and Cherry trail are coming?

Mr Vast

Banned
I'll wait until their iGPU improves and DDR4 ram is cheaper

iGPU on 400$+ cpu should be a crime.

That 5820k 6C/12T @ 389$ is ridiculous.

Ridiculous, wait to see the ddr4 pricing.

I'm quite excited to see 6 and 8 cores cpu made by intel being affordable, 2 years from now and it will make sens to buy those kind of cpu for gaming, thing that kills it at the moment is the ram pricing. The thing is those cpus are cut down 12 cores Xeons so we could of got 8 and 10 cores cpus for about the same price :/

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
It'll be a while before I upgrade until they bring something out that overclocks like the 2500k I already made mistake of going 4770k not doing that again

Dezzy

I hope they release an i5 version of these, and with more than 4 cores.
Not too sure hyper-threading is a big deal for gaming.

Reallink

How well do these E processors generally OC? 3.3 base and 3.6 turbo is pretty low, what would this be expected to OC on air at safe full time voltages? Maybe 4GHz?

How well do these E processor OC? 3.3 base and 3.6 turbo is pretty low, what would this be expected to OC on air at safe full time voltages? Maybe 4GHz?

I've heard they have much better TIM that the mainstream processors, since Sandybridge came out at least.

Reallink

I've heard they have much better TIM that the mainstream processors, since Sandybridge came out at least.

Well the concern is whether Devil's Canyon, which seem to easily achieve 4.6 - 4.7 might still be the better buy given how little software actually takes advantage of 6 or 8 cores (especially games). I mean I think I might rather have a 4.7GHz quad than a 3.8GHz six.

Well the concern is whether Devil's Canyon, which seem to easily achieve 4.6 - 4.7 might still be the better buy, given how little software actually takes advantage of 6 or 8 cores (especially games). I mean I think I might rather have a 4.7GHz quad than a 3.8GHz six.

I thought the ocs for devils canyon were overstated, but I could be wrong. I heard the thermals were a little better, but not as much of an improvement as hoped from the first haswell batch. It depends what you are doing? I'd still want those extra cores if I were a professional streamer on twitch while playing games.

REV 09

literally installed an i7-4790k in my rig today...lol.

it was an upgrade from an i5-760 though, so i'm expecting good things regardless.

CaptPete

Neo Member
I don't think I've ever seen a six core Intel processor cheaper than $550. I might as well go with the 5820 and a x99 mobo.... and some DDR4

Lots of 6-core socket 1366's on eBay for cheap right now. X5650's are ~$70! Grab 2 + a $140 dual socket MB for less than a single 5820! Hell, 4GB Registered ECC DDR3 is also cheap compared to unbuffered DDR3 ($20/4GB), so grab 24GB (6x 4GB) sticks for $120 and have a monster 12C system for ~$400, or just slightly more than the CPU of a newer 6-core system...

Yeah, it turbo's max at 3GHz, you need a PS with dual 12V AUX power connectors, you're `stuck' with PCIe-2.0 and you've got to find a case that fits EATX (just got a Corsair 730T myself, which really is huge!), but bang-for-the-buck I don't think it can be beat!

Or...grab a standard x58 motherboard and overclock the crap out of the X5650 if you really care about single threaded throughput. You should be able to get at least 4GHz out of one, if not better.

Waikis

Might be time to upgrade my i7 930, but honestly doesn't feel that slow yet.

If you are an itching for an upgrade and yet doesn't want to spend thousands for a marginal upgrade, do what I did and buy a Xeon 5660. It's a 6-core CPU compatible with most x58 motherboards. I bought it for $150 and provided the extra boost that I needed for games that scale well with the extra cores.

Best part? the cpu can be easily OC-ed without much effort. My CPU runs at 4.6ghz 24/7.

edit: the fuck at above :p

SerTapTap

I edit video too--good point about motherboard/ram though, I think I can wait on that for a full HW refresh. Just felt kinda lame buying a 4core when there's 6 cores...if you want Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell

Top Bottom