• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel is just crazy…14900KS related.

AJUMP23

Look at what they have to resort to help system builders cool this shit…

Clicked the link, work gave me a Blocked notice and a noncompliant action. So whatever cool thing this is I cannot see it. But I am sure the more cores we put on a chip and the more dense the silicone becomes, the hotter it has to run.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Clicked the link, work gave me a Blocked notice and a noncompliant action. So whatever cool thing this is I cannot see it. But I am sure the more cores we put on a chip and the more dense the silicone becomes, the hotter it has to run.
It mentions using liquid helium to cool a processor overclocked to 9.1 GHz. And it has atrocious ads.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
ReBurn ReBurn That is odd that they will give a warranty on a CPU that is essentially pushed beyond its designed parameters.
Seems like the controls around it are pretty tight. I wouldn't be surprised if the Intel warranty is voided if you modify the guts of the PC you bought to get it.

Comandr

Via DigitalTrends

TechPowerup tested it using a high-end Noctua NH-U14S air cooler, where it saw the 14900KS reach 118 degrees in multi-threaded tests and just shy of 100 degrees in gaming. Overclock3D could only get it to stop thermal throttling by delidding it — basically removing the internal heat spreader and seriously risking breaking the CPU in the process.

118c is almost 250f. Jesus. I would have serious concerns about my system if it ever reached that temperature.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Via DigitalTrends

TechPowerup tested it using a high-end Noctua NH-U14S air cooler, where it saw the 14900KS reach 118 degrees in multi-threaded tests and just shy of 100 degrees in gaming. Overclock3D could only get it to stop thermal throttling by delidding it — basically removing the internal heat spreader and seriously risking breaking the CPU in the process.

118c is almost 250f. Jesus. I would have serious concerns about my system if it ever reached that temperature.
Air cooler with a 14900KS sound like a disaster waiting to happen.

Draugoth

Gold Member
If i had the money i would still buy one. The peformance this shit has is insane if you can midgate the temps

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
For work sure, but gaming your better of with AMD this Round.

Price x Performance x Temp , yes AMD is the clearly winner. But the 14900KS is the best CPU on the market for games. If you want to play 2024 games at 120FPS you will probably want a 14900K or KS.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Why I stopped buying Intel CPUs

Intel is forcing my hand. 11900k does well enough for my setup now (4k 60hz monitor, AMD 6900XT) but I'm not moving to watercooling so I'll have to move to AMD when this cpu isn't good enough anymore.

Almost every tech reviewers give the edge to X3D where did you get your info?

Yea, for gaming the X3D's are the go to at this point.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Price x Performance x Temp , yes AMD is the clearly winner. But the 14900KS is the best CPU on the market for games. If you want to play 2024 games at 120FPS you will probably want a 14900K or KS.
The 14900KS still gets outperformed by the 7800X3D in games by an average of about 2%, which is hilarious for a chip that pulls power like a high end GPU. I haven't seen anyone recommend a 14900KS for gaming. Where did you hear this?

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
The 14900KS still gets outperformed by the 7800X3D in games by an average of about 2%, which is hilarious for a chip that pulls power like a high end GPU. I haven't seen anyone (righteously) recommend a 14900KS for gaming. Where did you hear this?

So the 7950X3D is the best CPU in the market?

Solidus_T

What? That is not what reviewers or I said here. You made a pretty wild claim regarding gaming cpus, and I provided some context with a loose citation of basically every tech reviewer who has tested these parts for gaming.

SoloCamo

If speaking for gaming, technically but there are a lot of caveats due to core/thread scheduling since it's not a fully X3D chip and you have to often work around that. For gaming the 7800X3D is best overall as it does not have this issue. That said, it's a fairly easy work around if you are even remotely technical which is why I said it technically is.
Who is this CPU for, really? What are it's benefits for all those issues?

Binned for overclock record competitors and e-peen.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
9.1Ghz.

Crysis intensifies.

ninja-turtle-angry.gif

Solidus_T

If speaking for gaming, technically but there are a lot of caveats due to core/thread scheduling since it's not a fully X3D chip and you have to often work around that. For gaming the 7800X3D is best overall as it does not have this issue. That said, it's a fairly easy work around if you are even remotely technical which is why I said it technically is.

Binned for overclock record competitors and e-peen.
Technically yes a 7950X3D is better, but as you pointed out have to do some tricks like turn a whole CCD off which would make your 550 dollar purchase kind of excessive IMO. There might be a way to schedule one CCD to do gaming tasks while the other can handle other tasks, for people who stream, record video, or multitask in other ways.

SoloCamo

Technically yes a 7950X3D is better, but as you pointed out have to do some tricks like turn a whole CCD off which would make your 550 dollar purchase kind of excessive IMO. There might be a way to schedule one CCD to do gaming tasks while the other can handle other tasks, for people who stream, record video, or multitask in other ways.

Correct, there is. Process Lasso (https://bitsum.com/) will do the job and it's the go to.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
The last Intel chip that blew me away was my 4790k and its been downhill since then. This new chip seems like a waste of money and does nothing to sway me away from AMD.

Last edited:
I still play on my old 3770K. It's amazing what that old CPU can still do, but I finally decided to upgrade my PC.

This comparison shows what a 14 year difference in CPU technology looks like. My 3770K is faster than 870K, but something like 14700K will certainly be a massive upgrade as well. I'm only worried about the power consumption. It seems that modern Intel CPUs are extremely power hungry.

G5XjqGI.png

279W from a CPU alone is a lot :p. 14600K is way more efficient despite being just a little bit slower. I'm also thinking of switching to an AMD CPU, as something like a 7800X3D is faster than 14700K, and more power efficient on top of that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I still play on my old 3770K. It's amazing what that old CPU can still do, but I finally decided to upgrade my PC.

This comparison shows what a 14 year difference in CPU technology looks like. My 3770K is faster than 870K, but something like 14700K will certainly be a massive upgrade as well. I'm only worried about the power consumption. It seems that modern Intel CPUs are extremely power hungry.

G5XjqGI.png

279W from a CPU alone is a lot :p. 14600K is way more efficient despite being just a little bit slower. I'm also thinking of switching to an AMD CPU, as something like a 7800X3D is faster than 14700K, and more power efficient on top of that.

You will never hit 279 watts during games. look at the comparison you posted. it tops out at around 100 watts. same as the 870k. hell, in some games, the 14900k is more efficient.

this is what most gamers dont realize. The intel CPUs during gaming dont need to run hot. but on the rare occassions they do like on cyberpunk path tracing, the power and wattage is there. my 11700k can hit 150 watts when running cyberpunk at higher framerates, but it stays around 70 degrees still. im only using a 240 mm2 AIO. Could be 5-10 degrees cooler if i could stick in a 360 mm2 cooler. Most other games top out at around 70 watts.

my intel CPU has aged very well compared to the zen 2 CPUs which every youtuber and PC forum goer championed because of low wattage and lower temps. but now they are getting curb stomped by intel CPUs.

You will never hit 279 watts during games. look at the comparison you posted. it tops out at around 100 watts. same as the 870k. hell, in some games, the 14900k is more efficient.

this is what most gamers dont realize. The intel CPUs during gaming dont need to run hot. but on the rare occassions they do like on cyberpunk path tracing, the power and wattage is there. my 11700k can hit 150 watts when running cyberpunk at higher framerates, but it stays around 70 degrees still. im only using a 240 mm2 AIO. Could be 5-10 degrees cooler if i could stick in a 360 mm2 cooler. Most other games top out at around 70 watts.

my intel CPU has aged very well compared to the zen 2 CPUs which every youtuber and PC forum goer championed because of low wattage and lower temps. but now they are getting curb stomped by intel CPUs.
I know that current games are not using 14700K to the max, so that explains the lower power consumption, but what about future games that will push 14700K to the max?

A.Romero

I know that current games are not using 14700K to the max, so that explains the lower power consumption, but what about future games that will push 14700K to the max?
Depends of what you prefer: Your CPU not being able to perform with future games or you CPU being able to perform at the cost of high wattage.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Starfield, Dragons Dogma 2 and Cyberpunk PT all push my i7-11700k hard. They go up to 150 watts at time. But not 220 watts you see on the cinebench benchmarks.

Chiggs

I'm trying to think of what could possibly compel me to buy an Intel CPU nowadays. Here's the shortlist:
  • Massive discounts, like $200 cheaper than the competition.
  • Included AIO...maybe they partner with Corsair or NZXT.
  • Sebastian Linus coming to my house and surprising me with a $5000 Intel Xtreme Makeover like he does for his staff.
    • Oh wait, he does that with AMD now.

Top Bottom