• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011 and X79) Launching 14/11 - Enthusiast Level CPU's

mkenyon

Banned
Pachinko said:
Pretty crazy power increase, I don't need a new pc anytime soon though. The one I have knocks almost everything I throw at it out of the park for gaming (mostly due to my 1680X1050 monitor) and I see no reason to change that. Not to mention that with "nexgen" gaming systems not out for another year or 2 at best , there won't even be software that'll push things much harder than today until after those are out.
BF3, Witcher 2, Metro 2033, and STALKER say hi.

I'd expect more of those.

Hopefully, with this launch, people will finally stop confusing Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge. It's unreal.

i7 3930K - $650 @ Micro Center item#995233

i7 3960X - $1150 @ Micro Center item#995266

These are not my photos.

JeiM0.jpg

D5W0I.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
mkenyon said:
BF3, Witcher 2, Metro 2033, and STALKER say hi.

I'd expect more of those.
I think he's talking about a little bigger scale with his next gen console comment. A slight increase in less than 10 games hardly justifies an upgrade

Sandy Bridge-E Prices Leaked In Company Bulletin
http://pcper.com/news/Processors/Sandy-Bridge-E-Prices-Leaked-Company-Bulletin

Microcenter, a US based computer electronics store has leaked the prices of some of the upcoming Sandy Bride-E processors.
While Sandy Bridge-E will not officially launch until the 14 of this month,Microcenter is already busy preparing for the launch by setting prices and organizing promotions.
The two processors in question are the Intel Core i7 3930K and the Core i7 3960X. The i7 3930K will be sold at $649.99 USD while the Extreme edition i7 3960X part will go for 1,149.99 USD. These prices are limited to one per customer and are in-store deals only. While the prices are a bit higher than expected, the retailer is trying to sweeten the deal by bundling a "free" Corsair H80 sealed loop water cooler with the purchase of any one of the Sandy Bridge-E CPUs. While the free H80's price is likely built into the processor's mark-up, it's at least a decent cooler (HardOCP has a review of the water cooler here). Whether it will be beneficial will depend on the user's existing cooler and whether it will be compatible/upgradeable to socket 2011.

The company will also have a "limited stock" of X79 motherboards available at launch, with more stock to become available in the coming weeks after launch. Throughout all Microcenter stores, the following motherboards will be available at the following prices.

ASUS P9X79 PRO 2011 ATX $339.99
ASUS Sabertooth PX79 2011 ATX $349.99
ASUS P9X79 Deluxe 2011 ATX $389.99​

Asus must be a crowd favorite over at Microcenter!

A bulletin containing the Microcenter leak ended with a positive note in stating "this launch should provide a tremendous opportunity for some very high end BYO builds for the most extreme enthusiast customer who is wanting the absolute latest and greatest from Intel!" Will you be hitting up a Microcenter at launch to get your Sandy Bridge-E on?

LOL, I was wondering if Intel would price SB-E closely to Gulftown, which is around $500. I guess we have an answer now. It's pretty obvious from that pricing that Intel doesn't care if they sell any of these things or not, they're just being produced so they can smash AMD in review benchmarks.

Unknown Soldier said:
LOL, I was wondering if Intel would price SB-E closely to Gulftown, which is around $500. I guess we have an answer now. It's pretty obvious from that pricing that Intel doesn't care if they sell any of these things or not, they're just being produced so they can smash AMD in review benchmarks.
It's the only logical conclusion...

dr_rus

Unknown Soldier said:
2600K is smashing AMD in review benchmarks right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sarcasm said:
I have been waiting to build a PC with an Intel CPU..this a good time?
If you have $1,600 to spend sure. But Ivy-E refresh will be better, and Ivy alone is much better value.

Q1 2012 check back.

n0n44m

so the benches are out at all your favorite sites ...

conclusion is expected; no IPC gains, roughly same overclockability, very high power draw when overclocked, decimates everything in multithread benches/applications and nukes everything in those same situations when overclocked :)

although as most sites conclude, with the speed (and low energy usage) an overclocked 2600K already offers you need to do a whole lot of multithreaded work for the 3960X to make any sense financially speaking :p

I'm only seeing 3960X reviews though, apparently the -K chips are send out later. The latter will be much more interesting ofcourse given the lower price.

Sarcasm

Hazaro said:
If you have $1,600 to spend sure. But Ivy-E refresh will be better, and Ivy alone is much better value.

Q1 2012 check back.

I will than wait. I do..I am making bank in this new country.

eastmen

Banned
The funny thing about Sandy bridge -e launching is that bulldozer looks better against the i5 2500k. Most likely because they did very little single thread testing for SB-E

SB-E is a beast , if your doing somet hing that needs such power then its a great buy , however if your just playing games and surfing the web a i5 2500k or a i7 2600k is the better deal. The i5 2500k is less than half htep rice of the 3930k !

As for those who want Ivy bridge , there is going to be an ivy bridge for x79 also.

Blackface

Banned
90 percent of people asking if they should build will never, ever use the power this have.

90 percent won't even use the power of a 2500k. Hell, tomshardware, who is basically a free marketing site. Even they say they do not recommend anything over a 2500k for gaming as it's simply not worth it.

Now if you were doing things that need a CPU like this, you wouldn't have to ask if you needed it. You would already know you did.

Hylian7

Blackface said:
90 percent of people asking if they should build will never, ever use the power this have.

90 percent won't even use the power of a 2500k. Hell, tomshardware, who is basically a free marketing site. Even they say they do not recommend anything over a 2500k for gaming as it's simply not worth it.

Now if you were doing things that need a CPU like this, you wouldn't have to ask if you needed it. You would already know you did.
You might......in about 10 years.

artist

Banned
What a disappointing launch. I'm not even sure why this thread exists, I'd like to meet the GAFFer who bought one of these.

Jubbly

Bleh, my 3-Way GTX 580 setup will remain on 1155 for the time being. Will put the cost towards Ivy, if that doesn't disappoint.

MisterNoisy

Seems like a lot of money and some hellacious power consumption for what will likely not be much gain in games - the 2500K will likely remain the right choice for most people for now, and anyone looking to upgrade will be better served by the die-shrink with Ivy.

n0n44m

eastmen

Banned
Cipherr said:
Wait what? No IPC gains was expected? None? Not even a small bump?

ITs the same chip as the 4 core sandy bridge chips except with quad channel ram and more cores.

Ivy bridge is going to be the jump foward for quad core chips ipc wise

Next year we will see Ivy bridge which should bring 10-20% performance increase and piledriver that should give 10% increase to 15% against bulldozer.

Will be a boring year till the end i'd say. We will really need to see games start to use 6 and 8 cores before anything changes

Hellish

a176 said:

Sold my last desktop over a year ago, for over the last year been on a laptop with a 740qm and gt330m, time for a desktop again as I switched universities and now am at home.

the $270 extra over the 2600k and $80 extra over the Rampage III Extreme was more then worth it to me, I would understand people questioning doing it from already owning a 2600k but when your doing a new build completely and the difference is $350 on an already high priced build its not that much more hurt to the bank. Also hoping for better 4th gpu scaling but only time will tell and not expecting much there.

so Ivy Bridge is for sure early next year? I'm still rocking a first gen i7 and it's served me well but looking for a decent bump in CPU power. (I do alot of encoding)

Chris R

BigBlackGamer said:
so Ivy Bridge is for sure early next year? I'm still rocking a first gen i7 and it's served me well but looking for a decent bump in CPU power. (I do alot of encoding)
Early as in March or April. I'm waiting on Ivy Bridge too, my q9550 is getting slow along with my R4870.

irfan said:
What a disappointing launch. I'm not even sure why this thread exists, I'd like to meet the GAFFer who bought one of these.

There are plenty of Gaffers who are working with high-end video editing and encoding, image manipulation, and other things for which having more cores directly benefits their productivity. SB-E is pointless for gamers but most gamers play games as a hobby and have real jobs or professions and some of these real jobs or professions are heavily multi-threaded workloads which would dramatically improve with slapping more cores inside the production machine. More REAL cores, mind you, not AMD's fake cores in Bulldozer. SB-E has 6 real Sandy Bridge cores inside.

Top Bottom