• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011 and X79) Launching 14/11 - Enthusiast Level CPU's

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kadey said:
So basically my motherboard is useless for upgrading now? Ivy bridge won't even support it?
This is SB-E socket 2011, a very high end enthusiast platform. It's the same chip you have except there is a $600 model with 6 cores.

Ivy Bridge is the CPU upgrade going from 32nm to 22nm and adding tri-gate 3D transistors.
Ivy Bridge should be compatible with your motherboard which is socket 1155.
demolitio said:
I need to find the boneyard for "old" parts of people who upgrade all the time. Surely there's going to be a lot of CPU's and GPU's on ebay but I can never convince myself to trust buying used parts on there. Do you guys sell your old shit on ebay or craigslist/locally? I always wondered...lol

As long as the i5 2500k has a long lifepsan, then I guess that's what I'll go for at Christmas and wait on the GPU I guess. These new CPU's just don't seem worth the money though but I guess that's relative to the person.

Will there be better deals for parts in general on Black Friday or is it something you don't see big sales on often? I'm wondering if I should just jump on the Microcenter deal now since I can get my "gift" early this year. :D

Edit: And I'm taking a guess the i5 beats out the 6-core AMD CPU's too? God I want to make sure I get this right since it's my only shot, lol.
Doubt it will get better than the MC deal. Yes the 2500K is the best currently all around CPU on the market. Make sure you get a P67 or Z68 motherboard.

Computer hardware sales are largely done on internet forums.

demolitio

Hazaro said:
This is SB-E socket 2011, a very high end enthusiast platform. It's the same chip you have except there is a $600 model with 6 cores.

Ivy Bridge is the CPU upgrade going from 32nm to 22nm and adding tri-gate 3D transistors.

Doubt it will get better than the MC deal. Yes the 2500K is the best currently all around CPU on the market. Make sure you get a P67 or Z68 motherboard.

Thanks man. Of the two motherboards, would you suggest the Z68 I take it? I'm trying to decide which is worth the price right now.

Sorry for all the questions. :p

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371775

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364087

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366193

Theonik

Here's another question, will X79 fully support Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs? As in, can I use a 2500k with this board and then upgrade to an Ivy Bridge with this board? Has the feature set of the boards launching with Ivy been discussed?

Hylian7

Well I was considering ordering stuff for a i5 2500k build next week. Should I change my plans on that one in favor of this?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
demolitio said:
Thanks man. Of the two motherboards, would you suggest the Z68 I take it?
Performance is the same, Z68 has 2 extra features, onboard video out from CPU and Intel SRT for an SSD cache to your HDD.

Price should be roughly the same. Any more posts, take it to the PC Thread since it isn't SB-E.
Theonik said:
Here's another question, will X79 fully support Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs? As in, can I use a 2500k with this board and then upgrade to an Ivy Bridge with this board? Has the feature set of the boards launching with Ivy been discussed?
Not compatible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Ivy_Bridge
Hylian7 said:
Well I was considering ordering stuff for a i5 2500k build next week. Should I change my plans on that one in favor of this?
Can you spend $900 on CPU+mobo+RAM alone?

Hylian7

Hazaro said:
Performance is the same, Z68 has 2 extra features, onboard video out from CPU and Intel SRT for an SSD cache to your HDD.

Price should be roughly the same. Any more posts, take it to the PC Thread since it isn't SB-E.

No.

Can you spend $900 on CPU+mobo+RAM alone?
Would rather not at this point, but it this going to really be worth it for games in the long run?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Do we have a ballpark *MONTH* early next year on when we can expect Ivy Bridge to arrive?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
isamu said:
Do we have a ballpark *MONTH* early next year on when we can expect Ivy Bridge to arrive?

I believe Intel were targeting March as of last month.

Edit: Source. More hearsay than official word, mind you.

Hylian7 said:
Would rather not at this point, but it this going to really be worth it for games in the long run?

If your having to ask the question, then this isn't for you. Get the i5 now, and Ivy bridge down the road would be my suggestion.

Anyway back on topic. Love these new chips, pity I couldn't justify the purchase.

Hylian7

bodyboarder said:
If your having to ask the question, then this isn't for you. Get the i5 now, and Ivy bridge down the road would be my suggestion.

Anyway back on topic. Love these new chips, pity I couldn't justify the purchase.
Yeah, true. I really don't like that the cheapest unlocked multiplier one is $999. I think I'll just overclock a 2500k. Sure it's not 6 cores, but fuck it.

So what is the advantage of LGA2011? Is it just for the extreme line or performance processors and LGA11xx and LGA13xx are standard going forward for Ivy Bridge? Will LGA2011 continue to be used for that purpose?

dr_rus

ElectricBlue187 said:
So what is the advantage of LGA2011? Is it just for the extreme line or performance processors and LGA11xx and LGA13xx are standard going forward for Ivy Bridge? Will LGA2011 continue to be used for that purpose?
LGA1366 is dead, LGA2011 is what comes to it's place. Ivy Bridge will probably get to LGA2011 too in the form of IB-E. LGA1155 is for 4-cores with GPUs. LGA2011 is for 6-cores without GPU. Main benefits of LGA2011 are quad channel memory and more cores. Both are practically pointless for games at the moment.

I myself will probably still get an LGA2011 motherboard -- once I know Intel's plan on supporting this socket beyond SB-Es. Just because I don't like to buy stuff that I don't need (pointless GPU inside the CPU).

Mr_eX

My Phenom II X4 965 BE is still performing like a champ so I probably won't need to upgrade for another year or two. When that time comes I wonder if these will be any cheaper and if they'll still be worth picking up.

kagete

Sigh... maybe my tax refund next year could go to this... Or hopefully IB is earlier and I won't have to be tempted and my 2500k can hold on till then. Right now at 4.5GHz it isn't fast enough to maintain 60 FPS in my most common usage scenarios:

HON or dota2 + streaming at 720p
wow + streaming at 720p60fps or 1080p30
HON+dota2+wow all running at the same time in borderless windows for chatting purposes. Skype call ongoing simultaneous with mumble for GAF friends. +VM for work

By next year's time I imagine adding Diablo3 to my list of always-on programs :( PC-gamer first-world problems indeed

Soi-Fong

Hazaro said:

Yeah... Think I'll just go for a 2600k. My girlfriend's friend who works in Intel's R&D says that Ivy Bridge is not much of an improvement over Sandy Bridge. What they really worked on with Ivy Bridge was video processing capabilties ehich is useless to every gamer since they'll have a dedicated video card.

Well, anyway, looking forward to the 60+ percent discounts on mobos and CPU.

1-D_FTW

Soi-Fong said:
Yeah... Think I'll just go for a 2600k. My girlfriend's friend who works in Intel's R&D says that Ivy Bridge is not much of an improvement over Sandy Bridge. What they really worked on with Ivy Bridge was video processing capabilties ehich is useless to every gamer since they'll have a dedicated video card.

The TDP numbers are great. So you could conceivably really OC them and still have reasonably decent power consumption figures.

dr_rus

Soi-Fong said:
My girlfriend's friend who works in Intel's R&D says that Ivy Bridge is not much of an improvement over Sandy Bridge.
Both will use the same socket and same motherboards. You can simply upgrade to IB later.

dr_rus

demosthenes said:
Hmm, when did they start separating the RAM slots? This help w/ heat?
This helps with max frequencies. They are higher when slots are closer to the memory controller which is embedded in the CPU now.

Chris R

Man those motherboards are so damn sexy. Can't wait to see how the Ivy Bridge ones look though :D

And I love seeing all those ram slots. I was planning on going for 16GB for my next build, but if the motherboard I end up getting has 8 slots that makes it easy to jump to 32GB if ram prices stay stupid low.

krzy123

goddamn ... dat board

96a.jpg

redpriest

Neo Member
This is probably a big waste of money if you already have a Sandy Bridge class processor. The additional cores are meaningless for gaming.

With Ivy Bridge coming around the corner, you'd be throwing your money away. Did I also mention that Haswell also uses a completely new chipset/socket, so your upgrade is rendered meaningless in a year?

Sure if you're a design studio and you're crunching away 3d renders this is probably beast. But you probably already have a real rack of Xeons doing the job anyway.

Soi-Fong said:

Can you ask her if hyper-threading will migrate downwards to the i5 quad cores when Haswell comes, and if hexa-core cpus may debut in the mainstream/performance sector (i. e. represented by the 1155 i7s) within that generation? Just curious.

That Ivy Bridge though is going to do wonders for getting more power into smaller form laptops. And Haswell even more so. Might have to put off getting a new laptop for another year in case they can get some quad-core Macbook Air-thickness action going by then.

dr_rus

redpriest said:
With Ivy Bridge coming around the corner, you'd be throwing your money away. Did I also mention that Haswell also uses a completely new chipset/socket, so your upgrade is rendered meaningless in a year?
Nothing will happen with your SB-E in a year. Haswell is a 1Q 2013 product and that's only for LGA1150 (4 cores max again). Haswell-E will come in the end of 2013 so by going with SB-E now you're getting the top of the crop for almost two years. Plus you really don't have to upgrade to every new socket. I'm still using Q9550 in socket 775 and I've bought this platform in the end of 2008. Only now I'm seeing enough reasons for an upgrade, I competely skipped all Nehalem/Westmere generation.

http://www.inpai.com.cn/doc/hard/160820.htm

An early Chinese look at the 3960K, looks like a beefcake power station! WOW look at those results! More than 50% faster than a 2600K in some tests!!

e1ae2da8d8384a85a42af4v7g9.jpg

Look at the layout of the 3960K... looks like the rumors of it being a neutered Xeon 8 Core is true.

ALSO, I would like to apologise for my mistake about the 3D Transistors being in this model, they won't become available until the 22nm process which comes with Ivy Bridge which is the next time around.

Also, as Hazaro has been saying if you have a 4 figure processor like i7-2500K or a i7-2600, anything in the second generation of the i7 family line of processors, you probably won't need to upgrade at this stage.

I'm currently running an i7-860 so I'm sure this is going to be a big upgrade for me, and my current motherboard is also ready for the bin, so this will be a decent upgrade for me.

I will be upgrading again when the Enthusiast Ivy Bridge parts become available, but that won't be until the end of 2013 and the way I see it, there are ALWAYS new parts on the horizon and if you wait for them every time you never buy and never get to experience the fun of upgrade.

I am a computer enthusiast, I get pleasure out of upgrading, benchmarking, overclocking, therefore, this processor is for me - too many people are making me feel bad about spending so much money on what seems like a 'pointless' upgrade...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
To those that are waiting for Ivy Bridge, I wouldn't expect much more than Sandy. Intel is primarily shrinking to 22 nm, and doing something with tri-gate transitors. They're targeting a 20% speed increase, but much of that may simply be due to higher clock rates at stock. There's a reason why Sandy can OC so easily to 4.5 GHz if cooled well enough, and 22 nm allows things to run cooler with normal cooling. In terms of performance you can basically get Ivy by overclocking with a good heatsink.

The next big jump is likely Haswell in early 2013.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Soi-Fong said:
This has already been reported elsewhere, IB is primarily a big GPU upgrade+die shrink, very small improvements on the CPU side. Not really any reason not to upgrade to SB now.

To those that are waiting for Ivy Bridge, I wouldn't expect much more than Sandy. Intel is primarily shrinking to 22 nm, and doing something with tri-gate transitors. They're targeting a 20% speed increase, but much of that may simply be due to higher clock rates at stock. There's a reason why Sandy can OC so easily to 4.5 GHz if cooled well enough, and 22 nm allows things to run cooler with normal cooling.

The next big jump is likely Haswell in early 2013.
Anandtech estimated clock for clock performance improving about 5%. Not really a big jump, and since both SB and IB should OC well that's a more accurate measurement. 20%, if that ends up being true, is probably just based on stock clocks.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
chaosblade said:
This has already been reported elsewhere, IB is primarily a big GPU upgrade+die shrink, very small improvements on the CPU side. Not really any reason not to upgrade to SB now.

Yep. Especially considering all of the issues have been worked out with Sandy. You can get a mobo, RAM, and OC it for cheap and be fairly sure it will work. With Ivy you may have to mess with compatibility for a month or so and deal with supply issues.

mkenyon

Banned
kagete said:
Sigh... maybe my tax refund next year could go to this... Or hopefully IB is earlier and I won't have to be tempted and my 2500k can hold on till then. Right now at 4.5GHz it isn't fast enough to maintain 60 FPS in my most common usage scenarios:

HON or dota2 + streaming at 720p
wow + streaming at 720p60fps or 1080p30
HON+dota2+wow all running at the same time in borderless windows for chatting purposes. Skype call ongoing simultaneous with mumble for GAF friends. +VM for work

By next year's time I imagine adding Diablo3 to my list of always-on programs :( PC-gamer first-world problems indeed
Your issue is probably HDD/memory related, not CPU.

I compiled the benches...

Those guys are fools, they didn't test the CPU in games properly by moving to a point where the GPU could be CPU limited... running the games at 1680x1050? Seriously? No wonder there is no difference... they're basically running at the same clock speed, of course there is going to be no difference at that resolution.

Honestly, there probably won't be that much difference in games anyway, unless you can overclock it higher, or games become more multi-threaded.

benches7mw0x.gif

mkenyon

Banned
The only way you could bottleneck a 2500K/2600K is in a Tri/Quad SLI/X-fire setup right now. Even looking for performance increases in a 2500 resolution is niche of a niche category.

The only game that I could see huge benefits for is possibly Civ V, as that is entirely multi-threaded. Thing runs smoother on my friend's 980X + 5850 than my 2500K @ 5.0 Ghz and SLI 560tis.

*edit*
Actually, how you remove a GPU from a gaming benchmark for CPU is set the graphics to an absolute minimum to remove the GPU bottleneck. Increasing the resolution would bring the benches closer together, as the only thing limited at that point would be GPU. CPU would have little effect when the GPU is brought to it's knees.

HardOCP said:
Gaming Benchmarks
As always, these benchmarks in no way represent real-world gameplay. They are all run at very low resolutions to try our best to remove the video card as a bottleneck. I will not hesitate to say that anyone spouting these types of framerate measurements as a true measuring tool in today’s climate is not servicing your needs or telling you the real truth.

They run games at 640x480 with everything turned off to test out CPUs.

mkenyon said:
The only way you could bottleneck a 2500K/2600K is in a Tri/Quad SLI/X-fire setup right now. Even looking for performance increases in a 2500 resolution is niche of a niche category.

The only game that I could see huge benefits for is possibly Civ V, as that is entirely multi-threaded. Thing runs smoother on my friend's 980X + 5850 than my 2500K @ 5.0 Ghz and SLI 560tis.

*edit*
Actually, how you remove a GPU from a gaming benchmark for CPU is set the graphics to an absolute minimum to remove the GPU bottleneck. Increasing the resolution would bring the benches closer together, as the only thing limited at that point would be GPU. CPU would have little effect when the GPU is brought to it's knees.

Heh, you're right... sorry I got it the wrong way around... DOH!

I'm got a TriFire setup so I'm hoping that this baby is going to help me out here because I am CPU limited with my current setup.

mkenyon

Banned
I know I read somewhere that you do a lot more than gaming, but I'm having a hard time believing you are being limited by your CPU if you are running SB in a game. Could possibly be motherboard related. Are you referring to other applications?

mkenyon said:
I know I read somewhere that you do a lot more than gaming, but I'm having a hard time believing you are being limited by your CPU if you are running SB in a game. Could possibly be motherboard related. Are you referring to other applications?

Got an i7-860 that doesn't overclock well, running with a 6990 and a 6970 and I game at 2560x1440.

I also do a lot of various other design and creation work at very high resolutions, video editing, 3D mastering, and texture / graphics design. I have 16Gb of RAM but it is no way near enough, I upgraded from 8 to 16 because 8 was like having nothing and I though okay yes 16 Gig of RAM should be enough right? But on the heavy tasks that I perform it still cooks itself at those high RAM levels.

So the Gigabyte UD5 with the 2x4 RAM Channels is for me. I'd love to go up to 64Gb, but I think doubling what I've got now to 32Gb should hopefully do the trick for me, with the processor speed improvement I will hopefully be getting from the LGA2011 upgrade.

Zombie James said:
Thing is a beast.

I is in love.

mkenyon

Banned
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Nehalem was where it was at for first gen i7 if you want serious GPU power and beastly RAM. Sensible upgrade for you.

Pachinko

Pretty crazy power increase, I don't need a new pc anytime soon though. The one I have knocks almost everything I throw at it out of the park for gaming (mostly due to my 1680X1050 monitor) and I see no reason to change that. Not to mention that with "nexgen" gaming systems not out for another year or 2 at best , there won't even be software that'll push things much harder than today until after those are out.

Top Bottom