• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011 and X79) Launching 14/11 - Enthusiast Level CPU's

demolitio

InertiaXr said:
None of this stuff matters if all you want to do is play videogames. Few games even use 4 cores let alone 6 or 8. Computers are so far ahead of consoles right now you can use just about anything and be fine.
That's what I was hoping but do we think it'll be fine for games on the next generation of consoles for at least a little while? I just don't want to find out the new consoles have 8+ cores making that the focus for new games...lol

I know I'm good right now due to the consoles holding back PC games unless they're exclusives, but will I have to worry come late 2012 or early 2013?

I hate not knowing how next gen will play out but hopefully disability kicks in before I have to worry about that, lmao.

InertiaXr

gatti-man said:
These new mobos and cpus are a big let down. If you own a current chipset Imo there is very little reason to upgrade.

How is this a bad thing? You don't have to spend any money, this shit sucks?

SB-E is basically this generation's Bloomfield (X58/1366).

Besides, Intel's main focus right now is on-die graphics (and other integrated components) and power consumption reduction. I doubt we'll be seeing hexacore processors hit the mainstream anytime soon, barring some sudden need. Quad-cores are good enough for now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gatti-man said:
These new mobos and cpus are a big let down. If you own a current chipset Imo there is very little reason to upgrade.
They offer a lot but live up to their enthusiast billing.

Cobra84

The 3930K costs more than an entire 2500K computer I just built and the 3820 costs more than the 2500K, motherboard, and 8GB ram. I can't see these being worth the money even if you need the speed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That 4 Core, when they say limited, how limited? Because on paper, that is the one I think I would want if I magically got $1k to spend.

i-Lo

Makes me wonder if the next generation home consoles (excluding Wii U) will integrate advanced processors of similar magnitude if they are to be released somewhere in 2013...

..oh well one can dream XD

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hazaro said:
6C/12T at lower cost, proper PCI-E 3.0 implementation, proper SATA 3.0, and some other stuff.
Lower power consumption and heat generated as well, assuming the 3D transistor stuff works out. Which is probably the biggest deal for the enthusiast crowd. Not that it would matter to some camps, like the sub-zero cooling guys. THOSE guys are nuts!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Drkirby said:
That 4 Core, when they say limited, how limited? Because on paper, that is the one I think I would want if I magically got $1k to spend.
Not overclockable. Go buy a 2600K and cry that you have dual channel vs quad channel memory.
Orayn said:
Any idea how much the LGA 2011 motherboards will cost? $200+ I assume.
Starts at $300 for something you'd buy. I think.
XiaNaphryz said:
Lower power consumption and heat generated as well, assuming the 3D transistor stuff works out. Which is probably the biggest deal for the enthusiast crowd. Not that it would matter to some camps, like the sub-zero cooling guys. THOSE guys are nuts!
I don't think SB-E has 3D/tri-gate unless I missed something.
Tri-gate is a huge deal, yes. Espcially if Ivy comes out and we are looking at 5Ghz OC speeds on a new process with like 90W load.

*Yeah I think the OP is incorrect. SB-E is 32nm + cores and a new socket. Ivy is 22nm + tri-gate.

XiaNaphryz

Hazaro said:
I don't think SB-E has tri-gate unless I missed something.
Just going by what the OP is saying up top.

Valnen said:
Does 6 cores really mean anything for gaming, and will it mean anything anytime soon? I can't see them optimizing games for anything beyond quad core in the next 5 years.
Not much right now - I think Civ V might be able to take advantage of 8+ threads.

That said, eventually some major game engine is going to have substantial multi-threading support that a bunch of developers will end up licensing, it's just a question if it's within 5 years or not. Given we're entering the next-gen of consoles soon, that may actually happen sooner than we expect.

gatti-man said:

How is it a big let down?

I suppose if you mean you own an 1155 chipset computer... maybe.

But as an i7-860 owner this is the upgrade for me!

- Digital Power Management for Overclocking
- PCIe 3.0
- 2x 16 PCIe Lanes
- 10x SATA Ports
- 8 DDR3 DIMM Slots
- 3D BIOS
- Bluetooth and WiFi Built In
- 6 Cores / 12 Threads (This will help me with Battlefield 3 at 2560x1440 at Max Settings for sure because FB2 scales up with cores)
- 3930K STARTS at 3.2Ghz and Turbo's up to 3.8Ghz, I'm hoping to be able to OC to 5.0Ghz

ALL of these things are HUGE for me... But I am a PC enthusiast and a PC Gamer, I love having good things in my Computer and I want to have the best this time.

I imagine that this will last me for a couple of years, I just can't wait to see how the benchies compare to my current results, just to see how far the consumer grade computers have come... life is interesting upon the release of new CPU parts.

XiaNaphryz

ColonialRaptor said:
- 3930K STARTS at 3.2Ghz and Turbo's up to 3.8Ghz, I'm hoping to be able to OC to 5.0Ghz
Shouldn't be an issue, given some i5s/i7s can get up there easily. Not necessarily at voltage levels that some would be comfortable with though, unless you get a lucky chip.

LowTecky

XiaNaphryz said:
That said, eventually some major game engine is going to have substantial multi-threading support that a bunch of developers will end up licensing, it's just a question if it's within 5 years or not. Given we're entering the next-gen of consoles soon, that may actually happen sooner than we expect.

Was waiting for someone to point this out. I'm sure a multi-core abstraction layer will soon become standard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Realistically in real world you are looking at a 4-10% gain in GPU speed and 200% gain in memory bandwidth... which translates to not much for most utilities.
But as you said, it's the new thing. Going to upgrade when Ivy comes out too?

Also provide a source for SB-E using 3D transistors / tri-gate or update the OP if you can.

I've got a core i7 920 (first gen) and a gtx 295.. still competitive with today's hardware years later for most games.

But the 3d transistor thing looks amazing just to own a piece of cutting edge tech.

artist

Banned
gatti-man said:
Yup. Rocking a 2600K here and these are hardly exciting. Wish AMD would get competitive in CPU side of things again and keep Intel on their toes. :/

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Guys Sandy Bridge-E will not incorporate 3D transistor tech. That is being shipped in 22nm die shrink (So, first CPU products that will incorporate 3D transistors will be Ivy Bridge.) The 22nm die shrink for Sandy Bridge-E CPU's won't happen till 2013.

Edit: For people looking for proof: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13283882

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GeoNeo said:
Guys Sandy Bridge-E will not incorporate 3D transistor tech. That is being shipped in 22nm die shrink (So, first CPU products that will incorporate 3D transistors will be Ivy Bridge.) The 22nm die shrink for Sandy Bridge-E CPU's won't happen till 2013.

Edit: For people looking for proof: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13283882
That was my understanding, but just in case I was looking for more recent articles that touched on it, say if SB-E was using 3D transistor tech, but only 1 lane a.k.a. not tri-gate

Nothing specifically addressed SB-E so I asked for source.

Xcellere

sx79ud7bevelbs0j7.jpg

That is so sexy. I have a P67 UD7, but that thing is just wow.

artist

Banned
BY2K said:
Let's say I buy my next CPU after they come out, should I still stick with the 2500K?
Good chances that it wont be beat in terms of value, not going to hurt to wait a couple more days and find out.

Hazaro said:
That was my understanding, but just in case I was looking for more recent articles that touched on it, say if SB-E was using 3D transistor tech, but only 1 lane a.k.a. not tri-gate

Nothing specifically addressed SB-E so I asked for source.

Looking... You're probably right and I may have gotten ahead of myself.

Pity that I even misled myself.

I will probably not upgrade again until the next Enthusiast line comes out (so 2013).

Hazaro said:
Realistically in real world you are looking at a 4-10% gain in GPU speed and 200% gain in memory bandwidth... which translates to not much for most utilities.
But as you said, it's the new thing. Going to upgrade when Ivy comes out too?

Also provide a source for SB-E using 3D transistors / tri-gate or update the OP if you can.

By the way, I believe I'll get more than 10% GPU gain because I'm CPU limited with my current setup.

ColonialRaptor said:

- PCIe 3.0
- 2x 16 PCIe Lanes
- 10x SATA Ports
- 8 DDR3 DIMM Slots
- 3D BIOS
- 6 Cores / 12 Threads (This will help me with Battlefield 3 at 2560x1440 at Max Settings for sure because FB2 scales up with cores)

ALL of these things are HUGE for me... But I am a PC enthusiast and a PC Gamer, I love having good things in my Computer and I want to have the best this time.

I imagine that this will last me for a couple of years, I just can't wait to see how the benchies compare to my current results, just to see how far the consumer grade computers have come... life is interesting upon the release of new CPU parts.

A 2500K will last you a couple years and then some.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ColonialRaptor said:
By the way, I believe I'll get more than 10% GPU gain because I'm CPU limited with my current setup.
I was just talking pure PCI-E lane from 8x and 16x on very high end cards.
A good solid 4.8Ghz or so will help I'm sure, just the value proposition with Ivy Bridge coming seems poor unless you really take advantage of 6 cores and extra memory bandwidth.

Integrated PCI-E 3.0 and SATA is great, but boards just added those to P67/Z68. Keeping the CPU the same and updating the platform it is on still gives you the same CPU. 22nm + tri-gate with Ivy is the real upgrade imo.

SB-E is for the super enthusiasts, benchers, and professions that use the CPU power/bandwidth.

onken

Gonna make myself a sweeeeet rig when Ivy Bridge comes out. I wonder what graphics card will be boss by then.

Teetris said:
Oof, that's high end indeed.

E8400 :)

I had an E8400 for years, fantastic chip.

Soi-Fong

ColonialRaptor said:

- PCIe 3.0
- 2x 16 PCIe Lanes
- 10x SATA Ports
- 8 DDR3 DIMM Slots
- 3D BIOS

I was actually about to buy a 2600k and mobo last week. Good thing I waited. Still, the 3930k is expensive as fuck.

Q8D3vil

i'm really interested in buying one mainly because my current 920 (oldest version) is not good at oc and i don't get to use the full power of my sli gtx 570.
hazaro, what do you recommend :D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I remember reading some "leaked" / preview benchmarks not too long ago and think these -E series performed almost identical to regular sandy bridge in games.

confused

Banned
Corky said:
I remember reading some "leaked" / preview benchmarks not too long ago and think these -E series performed almost identical to regular sandy bridge in games.

Wouldn't really surprise me at this point. There seems to be no massive leap in tech and games only support 4-cores mostly anyway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Soi-Fong said:
I was actually about to buy a 2600k and mobo last week. Good thing I waited. Still, the 3930k is expensive as fuck.
Ivy Bridge Q1 2012
Q8D3vil said:
i'm really interested in buying one mainly because my current 920 (oldest version) is not good at oc and i don't get to use the full power of my sli gtx 570.
hazaro, what do you recommend :D
Ivy Bridge Q1 2012
Corky said:
Same chip and same process. Maybe some tiny tweaks, but largely the same CPU. It's the platform around the CPU that's changed.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hazaro said:
Same chip and same process. Maybe some tiny tweaks, but largely the same CPU. It's the platform around the CPU that's changed.

That about explains it then.

Pachael

knitoe said:
Have fun paying 2X the amount. Personally, I would wait for their next architect CPUs.

Yeah, I might even wait for the next one after that (e.g. ~3 years) considering how good the 2500k is.

demolitio

I need to find the boneyard for "old" parts of people who upgrade all the time. Surely there's going to be a lot of CPU's and GPU's on ebay but I can never convince myself to trust buying used parts on there. Do you guys sell your old shit on ebay or craigslist/locally? I always wondered...lol

As long as the i5 2500k has a long lifepsan, then I guess that's what I'll go for at Christmas and wait on the GPU I guess. These new CPU's just don't seem worth the money though but I guess that's relative to the person.

Will there be better deals for parts in general on Black Friday or is it something you don't see big sales on often? I'm wondering if I should just jump on the Microcenter deal now since I can get my "gift" early this year. :D

Edit: And I'm taking a guess the i5 beats out the 6-core AMD CPU's too? God I want to make sure I get this right since it's my only shot, lol.

Theonik

To wait for Ivy Bridge or jump on this? Agh
Probably the former. But given I'm using a PC with a E6600 I'm getting a monstrous upgrade either way.

demolitio

Theonik said:
To wait for Ivy Bridge or jump on this? Agh
Probably the former. But given I'm using a PC with a E6600 I'm getting a monstrous upgrade either way.
Exactly how I view it, but I don't want to jump in too early just to find out the next generation of consoles are using 48 cores and all console ports on PC are meant for that. :D

You never know! In reality, it's probably already 3 year old tech but that doesn't stop devs from making ridiculous requirements on PC for a game that shouldn't need it, lol.

i5 it is most likely.

Top Bottom