• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intelligent System is getting into figure production business

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
lol. Maybe I should have used a different example, and phrased it differently. Xander is a "husbando" to some people, but I'd view at as no different from a cool Power Ranger figure.

Example: Why can't we get actual substantial characters like Lucina or Hinoka instead of this pandering bullshit?

But then I'd get a "because market reasons" answer. So I guess I'll rephrase:

Why have we reached a point where we pander to people who buy waifu figures?

Because money is the real reason, but it's depressing. I get that this stuff happens, but to see it done by IS makes it weigh a bit more heavily.

rhandino

Banned
Nintendo and IS have a long standing contract not made public. This includes development tool creation and game development cooperation. IS can't go anywhere since Nintendo owns FE and Advance Wars and Panel De Pon.
Codename S.T.E.A.M. am I cry 😭

Vlaphor

Because money is the real reason, but it's depressing. I get that this stuff happens, but to see it done by IS makes it weigh a bit more heavily.

I'm curious what is depressing about it. Ignoring a fanbase ready to spend tons of money makes no sense, and if you have fanservicey characters that the fans have taken to, then you need to get that merch train started asap. I, however, will not be buying this particular figure...

since I haven't played the game she's based off of. Have the Tharja figure though, and it's awesome. I would gladly buy more Tharja merch if they'd make it, but maybe that train has passed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm curious what is depressing about it. Ignoring a fanbase ready to spend tons of money makes no sense, and if you have fanservicey characters that the fans have taken to, then you need to get that merch train started asap. I, however, will not be buying this particular figure...

since I haven't played the game she's based off of. Have the Tharja figure though, and it's awesome. I would gladly buy more Tharja merch if they'd make it, but maybe that train has passed.
It's depressing because it is literally the embodiment of what many FE fans find wrong with the direction the series is heading. It's giving the problem a physical manifestation and feeding the masses who support the bad taste currently polluting the series.

I still play and love FE, including Awakening and Fates, but there are truckloads of interesting characters, especially from a design perspective, to choose from that aren't the sexy archetypes. Xander and his Roman armor would look awesome, Lucina with her mask has this Phantom of the Opera-esque mystique to it, even someone like Jakob has this sophisticated flair to him. The Camilla figure actually does look pretty nice, but it's obvious what characters they're aiming for and why. I'm just upset that so many cool and appealing designs get drowned out over the most obvious "designed to be *this* sort of waifu" types. The consumers speak for themselves, so I admit defeat in that regard, but it is depressing, yes.

-Horizon-

lol. Maybe I should have used a different example, and phrased it differently. Xander is a "husbando" to some people, but I'd view at as no different from a cool Power Ranger figure.

Example: Why can't we get actual substantial characters like Lucina or Hinoka instead of this pandering bullshit?

Do figmas count?

e2323fd51f911923cda29fa896307ca1.jpg

xevis

Banned
Why can't we get actual substantial characters like Lucina or Hinoka instead of this pandering bullshit?
…

Sums up my feelings rather nicely.

Manufacturing figures is very expensive and the market is niche, it is not surprising that companies go for the most lucrative crowd. You are simply angry as IS is not producing what you want, instead it is producing something others would want. I mean, if you like Camilla, would you still complain IS's decision?

Don't get me wrong, I would love a Xander or Hinoka figure, but it's just that companies cannot cater all of the needs from the fan base, especially when it is a new business. Let's hope that IS can receive tons of revenue from Camilla, then, it could get out some figures for good characters.

casiopao

FIGURE-009329.jpg

C'mon here. U are not even trying.

Because market change?The money they can make from simply selling the game to hardcore purist is dwindling. If they wanted to survive, they need to adapt and this figures is one of the way.
I am not sure what u are complaining here lol. Are u thinking that people who loves waifu is not FE fans too? FE had always had waifu from the very early time. And seen from the doujin works, the hardcore fans are many also huge waifu shippers.

And whats wrong with pandering to both market here? They can make for a character like Lucina and still give the waifu fans character like Cordelia and Tharja. There is nothing wrong with this move.

In the end, Inteli System is doing business. Not charity works. The need to cater to the fanbase who will give them money first rather than the other small number fans.

Draxal

It's depressing because it is literally the embodiment of what many FE fans find wrong with the direction the series is heading. It's giving the problem a physical manifestation and feeding the masses who support the bad taste currently polluting the series.

I still play and love FE, including Awakening and Fates, but there are truckloads of interesting characters, especially from a design perspective, to choose from that aren't the sexy archetypes. Xander and his Roman armor would look awesome, Lucina with her mask has this Phantom of the Opera-esque mystique to it, even someone like Jakob has this sophisticated flair to him. The Camilla figure actually does look pretty nice, but it's obvious what characters they're aiming for and why. I'm just upset that so many cool and appealing designs get drowned out over the most obvious "designed to be *this* sort of waifu" types. The consumers speak for themselves, so I admit defeat in that regard, but it is depressing, yes.

Iunno.

Let's look at another series that alot of people love, Valkyria Chronicles, which i really don't consider to pander that much.

A lot of great character designs, but pretty much every single figure they make is of Selveria. The Figure market is completely different.

Even for Fire Emblem, we had Marth, Caeda, Elise Nendoroids, along with the Lucina figma that are really innocuous.

I'm not counting Fem Kamui as I consider her thigh windows to be pretty high on the pandering side as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

But there is a Lucina figure, and no im not talking about the amiibo one either

They'll make a figure of someone if there's demand, simple as that really.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Is that lucina figure still available? I kinda want to buy it, last time I saw it, it was surprisingly cheap

This.

I really dislike the characters in the recent games and the waifu shit is just embarrassing.

casiopao

Iunno.

Let's look at another series that alot of people love, Valkyria Chronicles, which i really don't consider to pander that much.

A lot of great character designs, but pretty much every single figure they make is of Selveria. The Figure market is completely different.

Even for Fire Emblem, we had Marth, Caeda, Elise Nendoroids, along with the Lucina figma that are really innocuous.

I'm not counting Fem Kamui as I consider her thigh windows to be pretty high on the pandering side as well.

All Fire Emblem had always had waifu pandering shit.
Whoa that Cordelia figure is out?...whoa $100+
I'm conflicted

Lol, u are not worthy of that UMR avatar lol, if u are talking about muney. Go crazy and force ur bro/sis to buy that figure for u lol.^_^

This.

I really dislike the characters in the recent games and the waifu shit is just embarrassing.

U dislike the art style or the so called waifu pandering shit? as once again, i had news to break for u guys. FE had always had waifu from even the very first FE.

It had started easily from Caeda and Minerva from the very first FE though.

Draxal

All Fire Emblem had always had waifu pandering shit.

It had started easily from Caeda and Minerva from the very first FE though.

Eh, don't get me wrong. I think some old fire emblem fans are way too overzealous in the hatred of the new games (to the point that I wonder why bothering posting in the topics if you're so angry about them). The outright pandering to the fans is a rather new direction that they started with Awakening.

However, the fanbase has fetishized and shipped the characters from game 1 (well more 3 but that's besides the point).

casiopao

Amiami has a good discount on it last I checked
EDIT Amiami has a 40% discount, making it 9,800 JPY

Lol at that price.O_O It is a sixth of my monthly salary lol.T_T

Eh, don't get me wrong. I think some old fire emblem fans are way too overzealous in the hatred of the new games (to the point that I wonder why bothering posting in the topics if you're so angry about them). The outright pandering to the fans is a rather new direction that they started with Awakening.

However, the fanbase has fetishized and shipped the characters from game 1 (well more 3 but that's besides the point).

I will said, the pandering is more or less starting from FE6 and 7 there if u asked me. 6 and 7 gives us shipping and character wearing more revealing clothing vs older ones.(Even though older ones also had risky clothing too.)

I believe the fact that so many so called purist end up going crazy in arms to attack the new FE is not about the fanservice but more on seeing the game being more mainstream/accessible to more people. They wanted FE to remain their dearest IP and not gaining all those new fans who they always said come only for waifu even when the gameplay can be one of the reason why new fans come.

Wanderer5

Woah didn't notice that before, that is pretty interesting. Guess they are trying to push more at that fanbase heh.

And long ago I thought of Lucina figma, but meh I decided to pass heh. Got the for the most part pretty nice Marth Nendoroid through.:p

-Horizon-

Lol, u are not worthy of that UMR avatar lol, if u are talking about muney. Go crazy and force ur bro/sis to buy that figure for u lol.^_^
I don't have an oniichan to bother D:
4b5.gif

Amiami has a good discount on it last I checked
EDIT Amiami has a 40% discount, making it 9,800 JPY
With shipping that is still expensive as heck though it is a quality figure.
Ehhh...I might just stick with the occasional figma and nendoroid instead.

Man, I really don't understand what are the definitions of "waifu" or "husbando". Appearances? Traits? Thigh window? I mean, if you don't like a character, you can just say "I don't like him/her" instead of saying "this character is a pandering bullshit".

I hate these generalized terms.

4b5.gif

I don't know. In respect of figure, it is quite cheap honestly. I don't have the money to buy it though lol

casiopao

4b5.gif

Haha.^_^ Time to look for some oneechan to bother lol.

Shipping the whole figure to my country cost 1 million of my country currency lol. That is my 3 whole weeks expense.T_T Damn waifu is costly lol.

Man, I really don't understand what are the definitions of "waifu" or "husbando". Appearances? Traits? Thigh window? I mean, if you don't like a character, you can just say "I don't like him/her" instead of saying "this character is a pandering bullshit".

Surprise generalizations have major issues. The main reason I don't post in FE topics often is probably because the fanbase has a big history of being volatile. FE fans are very passionate people for better or worse. When FE6 was released you had bunches of people complaining that it was a regression from the SNES games. This is pretty much the next cycle of that. Next thing you know we're on the NX and people calm down a bit. But we'll see, I don't personally like to complain long about these things and instead take things into my own hands, which actually got me to write my first big narrative that I'm currently working on.

Draxal

Surprise generalizations have major issues. The main reason I don't post in FE topics often is probably because the fanbase has a big history of being volatile. FE fans are very passionate people for better or worse. When FE6 was released you had bunches of people complaining that it was a regression from the SNES games. This is pretty much the next cycle of that. Next thing you know we're on the NX and people calm down a bit. But we'll see, I don't personally like to complain long about these things and instead take things into my own hands, which actually got me to write my first big narrative that I'm currently working on.

Where are my skiills. What is this cartoony ass combat bullshit. Why do pillars show up in ranged combat. WHERE IS KAGA.

Crocodile

"Pandering" has too often been used as a code word for "thing I don't like that I know others like" except it lets people put a moralistic angle on it. Feels more righteous than saying "Boo-urns! They aren't making exactly what I want them to make!". Disappointment is a fine sentiment and there is a good point to be made occasionally but the follow-up "curse the man/world!" rants kind of start to blend all together :p

Where are my skiills. What is this cartoony ass combat bullshit. Why do pillars show up in ranged combat. WHERE IS KAGA.

Please don't remind me of how childish those days were. Ugh. Gotta admit, one of the low points in my gaming career was the FE fanbase at that time. At least the Wars Fanbase was generally cheery when you could find them.

Draxal

Please don't remind me of how childish those days were. Ugh. Gotta admit, one of the low points in my gaming career was the FE fanbase at that time. At least the Wars Fanbase was generally cheery when you could find them.

I get a real kick out of it when somebody says they love the GBA animations (which a lot of players do love), just because of how hated they were back when they were revealed.'

I don't mind people having complaints about the newer games, but man at some point you just gotta realize you made your point and then move on if you're not happy with the games.

ohlawd

I'm gonna regret it if I don't so I went ahead and ordered Cordy

October looks like a dead month for gaming but September is super crazy. Gonna have to axe Forza Horizon 3 ;_;

Draxal

I'm gonna regret it if I don't so I went ahead and ordered Cordy

October looks like a dead month for gaming but September is super crazy. Gonna have to axe Forza Horizon 3 ;_;

September is when the Fire Emblem 4 Cipher set comes out, all my money is going there.

I am also working on a fan project on FE, but not about the story. Hopefully I can get it done within this year.

"Pandering" has too often been used as a code word for "thing I don't like that I know others like" except it lets people put a moralistic angle on it. Feels more righteous than saying "Boo-urns! They aren't making exactly what I want them to make!". Disappointment is a fine sentiment and there is a good point to be made occasionally but the follow-up "curse the man/world!" rants kind of start to blend all together :p

This word appears in FE too many times that I lost count. It is interesting that I seldom see this kind of sentiment appearing on non-English oriented forum. Could be a cultural difference.

casiopao

That's at 40% off? Why was Tharja not that high?

Because Tharja is not good enough lol.^_^

Ahh the old folks of FE fans complain.^_^ We can called this as the FE Cycle lol.

And where is Kaga? He is making a not called FE game for free lol.^_^

U know what i really can't fathom why Kaga leave Ninty here when what he did in the end is just another FE game.T_T

I get a real kick out of it when somebody says they love the GBA animations (which a lot of players do love), just because of how hated they were back when they were revealed.'

I don't mind people having complaints about the newer games, but man at some point you just gotta realize you made your point and then move on if you're not happy with the games.

And u know whats funny? Now we had fans who said the miss GBA animations and the 3DS battle is shit lol. What a twist.T_T

I am also working on a fan project on FE, but not about the story. Hopefully I can get it done within this year.

I love FE fan projects, they have a tendency to produce some really cool stuff. The story I'm doing has nothing to do with FE, but an idea I had a couple months back.

zoku88

It can be, but there is not enough information supporting this claim. For now, it is branded Intelligent Systems.

Pretty sure it's going to be something like this.

This would make the most sense to me.

Yea, it wouldn't really be worth it to IS to be the manufacturer. As popular as FE is, I don't think they could justify an entire factory for FE figures.

Seems high cost with little benefit. Better to just use someone who already as the infrastructure set up.

Top Bottom