• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interactions with Salty Fanboys: A Thread for Stories and Counseling

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I was talking to my friend who works at gamestop about which COD was better (it was a slow day) and then this guy walks in and suddenly gets yelling. He's calling us losers and morons for buying COD and not playing Quake and telling us we deserve to die, etc. The guy was an adult and rather attractive. Anyways, my friend tells him to buy something or get out and the guy goes over to him and spits in his face and calls him a "cancer upon gaming". The guy then runs out before my friend can get him. Crazy guy.

A few days later he was arrested for armed robbery.

Quake is a hell of a drug.

legend166

(walks into GameStop)

Me: Is Saint's Row 3 in stock?
Fanboy: Yeah. Which console, 360?
Me: Nah, PS3.
Fanboy: ?
Me: ??
Fanboy: ...Alright, n/p.

(walks into Target)

Me: Just Cause 2 for PS3?
Fanboy: Sure, give me a minute.

(fanboy checks computer)
(fanboy walks away)
(fanboy comes back with green box)

Me: Uh, PS3?
Fanboy: (herp derp stare at the box) Oh.

I love you, Amazon.

This is the most confusing post I've ever seen on GAF.

Someone asking for a game on a console they own, and a guy accidently picking up the wrong box makes them fanboys?

Huff

Banned
There are so many people on gaf that creep me out with the fever that they love their company. Not so much in real life, but I don't really go to retail stores where I'm sure most of the ridiculousness can be found.

Orca

There's an employee at the Futureshop here who's a huge Final Fantasy fanboy, and the last six months were pretty rough on him. I went in for the CoD midnight release and he was fuming about how many people were there to buy "just another copy and paste release"

Fast forward to Final Fantasy XIII-2's release and the store didn't do a midnight release. I think they didn't have the pre-orders to justify it or there was an employee crunch and they couldn't staff it. I swung by Tuesday evening and he was even more upset because they'd only had a half-dozen purchases. He was so mad I thought he was going to cry.

Krogan

I usually just tune out whatever a salesman tries to pitch me and assume they don't know what they are selling. I once had a Best Buy employee tell me that I couldn't replace the computer power supply and would need to purchase a new PC.

i will never forget the fat, tow-headed high school kid who fell to his knees outside redmond eb, clutching his newly-purchased copy of metroid prime, sobbing "i waited TEN YEARS FOR THIS. oh GOD!!" the rain was pouring, and the looks on the faces of the women who skirted around him: oh, how i hated my hobby that day. i went down to foot locker and bought some cool kicks instead.

pvpness

Recently I caught flak for buying Fortune Street instead of whatever hit the ps3/360 that day. I also routinely catch shit from the GS cats for bagging on Skyrim. Ha.

Insecure people aren't worthy of even pity, let alone fury.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I usually get this when I buy the PS3 versions of games. One time I went into Kmart (had a $30 coupon for BF3) and when I asked the guy behind the counter, who had a full sleeve Lancer from Gears tattoo, to get it for me he just said "you better not be getting the PS3 version." He also told me I was an idiot for looking forward to Uncharted 3 since it's just a lame ripoff of Gears.

I also saw one kid at the midnight launch of MW2 get bullied to the point where he felt the need to apologize for buying the PS3 version.

Log4Girlz

i will never forget the fat, tow-headed high school kid who fell to his knees outside redmond eb, clutching his newly-purchased copy of metroid prime, sobbing "i waited TEN YEARS FOR THIS. oh GOD!!" the rain was pouring, and the looks on the faces of the women who skirted around him: oh, how i hated my hobby that day. i went down to foot locker and bought some cool kicks instead.

Relax, I was excited.

I never liked the idea that it's not all right to be a fan of something. If people are into games enough to post on message boards I'd expect them to have some loyalties to things.

Guess I never really thought about the term 'fanboy' or being exclusively loyal to any company though. Maybe that's a little gross. But I must have been pretty loyal to Sega for a long time so I can't really hold that against anyone, eh.

squidyj

I usually get this when I buy the PS3 versions of games. One time I went into Kmart (had a $30 coupon for BF3) and when I asked the guy behind the counter, who had a full sleeve Lancer from Gears tattoo, to get it for me he just said "you better not be getting the PS3 version." He also told me I was an idiot for looking forward to Uncharted 3 since it's just a lame ripoff of Gears.

I also saw one kid at the midnight launch of MW2 get bullied to the point where he felt the need to apologize for buying the PS3 version.

I would have trash talked his tattoo. I would have trash talked it so hard. That's on the level of getting a significant other's name on your body, it's a dumbass thing to do.

squidyj

I never liked the idea that it's not all right to be a fan of something. If people are into games enough to post on message boards I'd expect them to have some loyalties to things.

Guess I never really thought about the term 'fanboy' or being exclusively loyal to any company though. Maybe that's a little gross. But I must have been pretty loyal to Sega for a long time so I can't really hold that against anyone, eh.

I don't have anything against people being excited for something that they like, except for justin beiber and twilight. When they turn around and start trash-talking the competition because they feel threatened or they don't understand the world around them or they are socially retarded, then I get pissed off.

Edit: Wow, I must be out of my goddamn mind, I thought I'd deleted that previous post instead of posting it as a post. I need to get more sleep.

zoukka

The thing is... in real life I can have a conversation with this fanboy. In GAF we communicate with text and english which is not my native language. So some things are lost in translation, some members can vanish when they "lose" a debate or can just back off to their defence-force of choice.

In real life I can have a meaty debate and I've turned some twisted delusional minds around :b I'm kinda disliked in some of the more elitistic nerd circles though.

Honestly I just don't talk about videogames much in person. Maybe it's just that I spend waaay too much time talking about 'em online and just have to have other things and some separation there. Not really sure what it is. Videogames are maybe just my escape from all the real things, I don't like bringing them into it, even with all the enthusiasm I have for the hobby.

Melchiah

I would have called the manager in the first case, as clerks have no right to insult the customers. Your second story makes me even more mad, that some kid felt he needed to apologize for buying other than the 360 version. Sometimes it feels like the Xbox fanatics are the worst of the bunch. I understand fandom, but I don't understand or approve when people want to force others to think like they do.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think I met anyone very obnoxious, just... Annoying. Someone was talking once how godly Nintendo is and my head wanted to explode already.

I have a permanent hate now for Nintendo fanboys who think Nintendo is god. :/

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't think I met anyone very obnoxious, just... Annoying. Someone was talking once how godly Nintendo is and my head wanted to explode already.

I have a permanent hate now for Nintendo fanboys who think Nintendo is god. :/

But Nintendo am deh Godz, except for friendcodes, online that is years behind the curve and their refusal to patch games in the main, they way they can treat IP's at times...we don't talk about these things.. Mario Mario!

but in all seriousness I grew out of fanboy wars, during the Sega Megadrive/SNES era..
I was upset the day I heard the Dreamcast was Sega's home console swansong. The current gaming landscape does need to get over the t/fps obsession, but DL games on XBLA ,Wii Ware and Android give me the oldschool gaming I can crave.

I buy based on what I want to play, not on what people tell me to get..

atm I am primarily a mobile gamer on the 3DS and Android , I am looking forward to getting a Vita in the near future, it doesn't matter to me on what system I get to play x game so long as I get to play it an enjoy it.. due to money and time constraints I cannot reasonably own all systems.

Uncle

I can't find the thread but some guy here on gaf got really mad when I suggested that the PS3 might not automatically be the jrpg console this gen. This was well before the FF13 announcement, btw. He argued that since the PS2 was the best console for jrpgs last gen, PS3 would of course be this gen. I argued that things don't always work like that untill he threw a hissyfit, told me that the argument was pointless since I "argued like a woman" (or something to that effect) and got banned. It's the only discussion that I can remember having with a full fledged fanboy.

Kazzy

PES vs FIFA

It's 2012 ffs!!!

Blatantly FIFA.

I still prefer PES, an older version in fairness though. I cannot abide by the new additions they have made in recent years. FIFA is mostly fine for multiplayer (Be a Pro) but other than that I still don't like how the core mechanics work, it still feels like its a slave to animation for the most part.

I will concede that at this point it is the superior franchise, I just don't think it will ever be my preferred choice though.

Top Bottom