• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

NeoGash

Not really. You have to migrate your account to the US for this to work on 360 and before you renew gold you will experience some bugs so for your own sake just renew gokd right after migrating account. Look at my previously created threads for details. Also some things are region locked (many apps, some old GoD titles).

On X1 you just change a setting in the dash.

Damn. I suppose I have gotten used to getting bent over so meh -_- Still sucks that a lot of sales are only really sales for people in the U.S.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
I just ordered Killzone from Amazon and got this message

I got the same thing after ordering Lego Marvel. Did you use your card's actual billing address or a random US one?

Edit - Cancelled my original order, bought an Amazon.com gift card and re-ordered. It went through pretty much straight away then.

liger05

I got the same thing after ordering Lego Marvel. Did you use your card's actual billing address or a random US one?

Edit - Cancelled my original order, bought an Amazon.com gift card and re-ordered. It went through pretty much straight away then.

I used the random billing address as when trying to use real address it wouldnt allow the purchase. I got the code after about an hour.

I think the holdup was because I set up a new Amazon.com account and used the same card which on my amazon.co.uk account which I guess got flagged when making the order.

B4D1E

Hmm, I think I'll set up an account and buy something. See how much of saving there is compared to buying from supermarkets or just waiting a couple of weeks for prices to drop naturally...

X1 is region free no? MS themselves suggested you could set up an account in a region that wasn't your own to buy content...

Miles
I'm from a € Tier 2 country. I bought AC IV, which on an european store costs 69.99€, on the US store, it's 59.99$ + taxes. After conversion, 47€ got charged on my CC. So I guess, it's pretty interesting.

Thanks a lot Caboose ;)

On Xbox One can you simply change to US region and buy a game then switch back to UK and play? Or do you have to stay on US to play it?
Any restrictions on the number of times you can switch regions?

On Xbox One can you simply change to US region and buy a game then switch back to UK and play? Or do you have to stay on US to play it?
Any restrictions on the number of times you can switch regions?

Yes, no, no.

Miles
I'm from a € Tier 2 country. I bought AC IV, which on an european store costs 69.99€, on the US store, it's 59.99$ + taxes. After conversion, 47€ got charged on my CC. So I guess, it's pretty interesting.

Thanks a lot Caboose ;)

You're welcome. =)

B4D1E

But my bank account don't <3 LOL. I caved in again and bought Ryse digitally.

Funny thing, I tried to do it from xbox.com but it resulted with an error message asking me to change payment method. But when I tried directly from the Store on my ONE, it went smoothly. I dunno why.

My Visa card does not work, I used a Borderlinx address.

When I go through the payment it says 'payment type not supported'. My Paypal account shows as an option under my normal region, but not the US.

B4D1E

When I go through the payment it says 'payment type not supported'. My Paypal account shows as an option under my normal region, but not the US.

Did you edit your billing info on your US account? Or directly on your Xbox One, in the settings>Billing and info payment?

But my bank account don't <3 LOL. I caved in again and bought Ryse digitally.

Funny thing, I tried to do it from xbox.com but it resulted with an error message asking me to change payment method. But when I tried directly from the Store on my ONE, it went smoothly. I dunno why.

Yeah you need to do it on the Xbox One itself.

Xbox.com is checking your account region (as on 360), not your consoles region setting.

Sorry for hijacking the topic, but is this borderlinx site reliable for physical delivery? I've been constantly frustrated by the difference in price for electronic goods between EU and US.

Cheers, so does it save both separate billing information for each region or do you have to re-enter each time you switch?

Separate. It is seamless once it is all set up. Just change to US, buy, change back.

Sorry for hijacking the topic, but is this borderlinx site reliable for physical delivery? I've been constantly frustrated by the difference in price for electronic goods between EU and US.

I've only used it once for physical goods (a game from Amazon US) and that worked without problems. I cannot vouch for stuff like consoles or computers though.

Basic process:
The store sends it to them, they notify you that they've received a package, you pay them, they send it to you.

Yards

Banned
I set up my account and everything but I really nervous about changing my region and billing info. Damn Microsoft.

besiktas1

Doesn't work for me. Change Xbox to us. Restart. Go to buy. Add my cc number. Name. Sec code. Use borderlix address. Gives error. Tells me to ask bank. What am I missing?

This won't get anyone banned, will it?

When MS talked about marketplaces/regions pre-launch they talked about how you would easily be able to switch marketplace and that you could use marketplaces from abroad etc. So probably not. There is no guarantee from me of course.

Doesn't work for me. Change Xbox to us. Restart. Go to buy. Add my cc number. Name. Sec code. Use borderlix address. Gives error. Tells me to ask bank. What am I missing?

I do not know.

You from the UK? I'm using a Halifax card.
Anyone with a spare 5 minutes can do me a step by step? (with pics even)

Also:
Could I just buy $60 from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4CFAV8/?tag=neogaf0e-20 add it to my account and buy it like that? Would that work?

Sweden. Yes you could however Amazon wants a US billing address just like MS. The same error could show up on Amazons website. Give it a try. Don't forget to redeem the code on the dashboard while you're in the US region. The codes are, AFAIK, region locked in that way.

besiktas1

Sweden. Yes you could however Amazon wants a US billing address just like MS. The same error could show up on Amazons website. Give it a try. Don't forget to redeem the code on the dashboard while you're in the US region. The codes are, AFAIK, region locked in that way.

Well I've bit the bullet and left it while it's swirling on the amazon processing. It's telling me not to click back but it also says it takes less than a minute. Been over 3 now...

Snowballo

Is there an official thread for European PS4 users that want to buy from US PSN?

Anyway I've found a nice tutorial here (PS4)

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/2176331/ps4_how_to_buy_us_digital_psn_games.html

It seems that you have to "activate as your primary PS4" step too, before playing.

366532.gif

bidguy

Banned
hey caboose i tried this with peggle 2 the other day but i couldnt get it to work. i used my german visa card and typed the borderlinx address into the field but it gave me an error after i tried to buy it.

does it even work with non us credit cards ?

hey caboose i tried this with peggle 2 the other day but i couldnt get it to work. i used my german visa card and typed the borderlinx address into the field but it gave me an error after i tried to buy it.

does it even work with non us credit cards ?

I use my Swedish Visa card and it works. It would be helpful to actually post the error instead of just saying you got an error. Not really much to go on otherwise.

bountybob

Neo Member
I managed to successfully purchase from the US store using my UK card. I only looked into it because something cocked up when I migrated my MS points and I ended up with US $ after conversion instead of UK £. MS haven't been able to help with getting this money back into my UK account and I have no idea how I even ended up with a US account attached to my gamer tag but that's another issue!

Anyway, seeing as how they couldn't help me I thought I'd try and buy form the US store to spend the dollars sitting there. I entered my regular UK address but had to do a US state so I said I was in Illinois and entered an Illinois zip code. Payment failed. After this my card then wouldn't work for any transaction anywhere. Petrol, shopping, train home after work christmas party, nothing.

I called the bank and they went through security and reactivated my card. They then said it would work again and I asked if that was true for the US purchase and he said he'd guarantee it. So I tried again and sure enough it went through fine. Changed xbox region back to the UK and everything seems fine.

mancan92

Banned
has anyone tried this recently? I have been trying to buy assasins creed on x1 US store for a week and it wont allow me even with money in my account.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
I just tried last night buying the Killer Instict Combo pack DLC (not for me I swear!).

Changed region, entered details as normal EXCEPT for State, Zipcode and phone number. I've done this kind of thing before and always used an American games store for added irony!
This time I used a Walmart in California. Entered all card details as normal and the purchase worked fine, saved me nearly a quarter of the UK price.

And for all those sceptical of Micro$ofts support of this tactic, have a read of this.

Thanks to everyone on here for finding this and saving me money, and to my good friend Sikamikanico for directing me here. I plan to buy all future new releases this way!

EvB

This has been made way too complicated!

Here is how

Xbox.com

My account

Payment and Billing

Change region

Add PayPal.

Change region on console to match, make purchase with PayPal.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
It does sound more complicated than it is, but now my card with US details is saved all I have to do it the future is changed region on my Xbone.

This Paypal method is interesting though and a good find! Would I have to change region on Xbox.com every time though?

EvB

It does sound more complicated than it is, but now my card with US details is saved all I have to do it the future is changed region on my Xbone.

This Paypal method is interesting though and a good find! Would I have to change region on Xbox.com every time though?

Once you have a payment method for a particular currency on your account you simply have to change the region on the machine.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
Sweet either way!

(Bloody auto correct is making me look illiterate, really need to check what I'm typing.)

G Rom

Anyone having issues doing this ?

I followed the instruction but when I try to buy something with either one debit card, one credit card or Paypal, I get errors.
In the case of the cards, I get a PUR5000 error code and for Paypal, I get Purchase-Billing-9043.
I tried to change the billing address and got the same errors. Anyone knows what could be wrong ?

Here is how

Xbox.com

My account

Payment and Billing

Change region

Add PayPal.

Excellent, thanks for this. It worked perfectly.

I still had to stick in a US address on the xbox.com site before I could do my Paypal account but I used the default one from borderlinx for that.

Illud Vindicare

Neo Member
How much I like this, and also doing this, I remain skeptical about the possibility to lose all your purchases over the years when Microsoft decide to do so.
Microsoft repeatedly said, sure you can buy in other regional stores provided that you have a valid payment method. A valid payment can needs to contain a valid address, the "thin line" is how valid the entry of a fake address is.
It seems to me Microsoft could use this line in the user agreement to ban your account on grounds of "no abiding to the agreement".

6.3. Billing. By providing Microsoft with a payment method, you (i) represent that you are authorized to use the payment method that you provided and that any payment information you provide is true and accurate;

3.1. What happens if I do not abide by this Agreement? If you violate this Agreement, we may take action against you including (without limitation) removing your content from the Services, suspending or cancelling your access to the Services, asking you to refrain from certain activities, blocking your console or device from accessing the Services, and/or referring such activity to appropriate authorities. In the event we take action against you for a violation of this Agreement, we may permanently delete, and you may permanently lose, some or all of the information or content associated with your Microsoft account and/or we may cancel your Services in their entirety. Content that is deleted may be irretrievable.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
I know how you feel but I believe if they decide they don't like people doing this they will stop it but wont be able to/want to do anything about purchases already made. After all it was their idea!

So if you haven't heard, Ryse has been reduced as a 'test' for cheaper digital purchases, currently $39.99 in the US and $37 something here in the UK.

Using the Paypal method I bought Ryse yesterday from the US M$ store for £24.71.
Titanfall should be about £36, lovely.

KemoSabe

And whats about the rumors that foreign online games no longer work?
I thought they implemented some Kind of online Region lock

And whats about the rumors that foreign online games no longer work?
I thought they implemented some Kind of online Region lock

From what I gathered from the thread it's all about codes (that you redeem). Buying from the Xbox Store is completely unaffected from all that stuff if I understood things correctly.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Will BF 4 premium work as well? I see I can buy it but would like to confirm it will work.

Anyone verified that there aren't some kind of locks built into the game add ons?

Here is how

Xbox.com

My account

Payment and Billing

Change region

Add PayPal.

Thanks. But when I'm trying to buy a game, Paypal does not show as payment option. The only thing I can choose is 'add creditcard'. Any idea what went wrong?

Top Bottom