• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can redeem it on Xbox.com with your regular account, you should probably do it on your Xbox One with the region set to US though. There might be error messages and shit otherwise if the region on Xbox.com is wrong or the system hasn't created your us billing info yet or whatever.

Just change the locale, no need for extra accounts or shit like that.

thanks. Do I need to change any address? How will the xbox marketplace know not to charge me sales tax?

Edit : redeemed Xbox code ok, now it's asking me for billing info. Assume I put in the Oregon address in the OP to avoid tax, but how about the phone number?

Edit: all done, thanks for the info. Grabbed Zoo Tycoon, Powerstar Golf and PvZ garden warfare for £60 - would have been more like £110 bought in the UK. Just need to remember to switch my amazon billing and delivery address back to the uk before I order anything else :p

Can I change my locale back to the UK immediately, or should I wait until the games have finished downloading and installing?

thanks. Do I need to change any address? How will the xbox marketplace know not to charge me sales tax?

Edit : redeemed Xbox code ok, now it's asking me for billing info. Assume I put in the Oregon address in the OP to avoid tax, but how about the phone number?

Edit: all done, thanks for the info. Grabbed Zoo Tycoon, Powerstar Golf and PvZ garden warfare for £60 - would have been more like £110 bought in the UK. Just need to remember to switch my amazon billing and delivery address back to the uk before I order anything else :p

Can I change my locale back to the UK immediately, or should I wait until the games have finished downloading and installing?

You can change it back right after buying no problem.

Can you do this on PS4?

Buy from the US store from another country you mean? yes you can.

You need to set up a US account and use an address from somewhere like Oregon to avoid sales tax. You can buy PSN credit from Amazon to redeem on your account and make purchases that way.

So I have $20 in my Microsoft account and I'm trying to buy Super Time Force for $14.99 but every time I confirm the purchase it says that the remainder of my purchase needs to go on to a credit card. Anybody else had this issue? Not had any problems up until now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Buy from the US store from another country you mean? yes you can.

You need to set up a US account and use an address from somewhere like Oregon to avoid sales tax. You can buy PSN credit from Amazon to redeem on your account and make purchases that way.

Yeah this is what I do. They used to take virtual Visa cards like entropay, but they don't anymore I think. So I just buy PSN cards from amazon.com and you get the code immediately. Just need a fake address

Yeah this is what I do. They used to take virtual Visa cards like entropay, but they don't anymore I think. So I just buy PSN cards from amazon.com and you get the code immediately. Just need a fake address
Wait, you can buy PSN credit from Amazon and have it e-mailed? I didn't know this!

KYZR

Wouldn't let me redeem the XBL gift card on xbox.com, so I just redeemed it on the console itself and it worked perfectly.

I changed region back to the UK after purchase, and its still installing. Thanks for saving me some money GAF! (paid £18.50 for MGSV:GS instead of £30)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Shit.

Sounds like your card is blocking the transaction. Could be some further check by Microsoft on the whole "semi-fake address" thing as well.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/error-code-lookup
"PBR9012
We couldn’t get authorization for this. Try a different or new way to pay. If you have more questions, ask your bank."

Yup seems to be that. Minutes after I got a phone call but I didn't answer in time, traced back to being my bank.

I imagine if I answered they would have ask if I want to authorize the transaction. Never happened in the past though.

Yup seems to be that. Minutes after I got a phone call but I didn't answer in time, traced back to being my bank.

I imagine if I answered they would have ask if I want to authorize the transaction. Never happened in the past though.

Call them back and let them know you want MS to be able to charge your card. :)

GD71

Banned
So with the removal of paypal I am finding that the best XB1 method is the same as I was already using for PS4. I buy from the UK, via the Amazon.com US store. Amazon don't seem to do an address check and thus you can buy a US PSN or Xbox gift card digitally, and instantly, and redeem and purchase. Easy.

I have tried registering a card on Xbox but it is always declined. Amazon is fine.

Lloytron

I found a slightly simpler solution. You can buy Xbox credit codes from target.com and pay for them with PayPal. It took an hour for my code to come through via email but it was relatively straightforward.

I found a slightly simpler solution. You can buy Xbox credit codes from target.com and pay for them with PayPal. It took an hour for my code to come through via email but it was relatively straightforward.

And now would be the best time to load up on MS points If you’re from the UK. "Sterling nears 5-year high after hitting $1.70 mark" 50.00 USD = 29.4457 GBP

Trying out the Target method now.

JLck

So, I was looking at buying the Xbox One/360 digital combo code for COD Ghosts from amazon.com for $28 (about £15).

I'm from the UK, and understand that the 360 isn't region free, so I won't be able to redeem on that. I'm under the impression that I can't redeem the game on Xbox One - you have to redeem it on 360 first.

One Amazon review says that you can redeem it through xbox.com though just fine. Would this still apply for a UK user? Is the website 'region free' (if that makes sense?)

Any help?

DrunkDan

Just my luck, been reading this thread for a few hours today contemplating what to do and I finally decided to take the Target gift card route to buy Titanfall.

Did it and got the code emailed within an hour or so, changed regions etc only to find the game has gone back up to 50 dollars. Fuck sake. I've only had my One for a couple of weeks but I'm now guessing the store updates on a Tuesday?

Now I've got 25 dollars and fuck all to spend it on. Can't believe my shitty luck haha. Any recommendations on what to get, or is it worth holding on for other potential sales?

Hmm ok - how does it work if I add US credit to my UK account tho? Does it just use whatever today's exchange rate is?

The credit is specifically tied to the region. If you add £ it will always be £. If you add $ it will always be $. It won't disappear when you change locale but it can only be used in the locale you add it.

Just my luck, been reading this thread for a few hours today contemplating what to do and I finally decided to take the Target gift card route to buy Titanfall.

Did it and got the code emailed within an hour or so, changed regions etc only to find the game has gone back up to 50 dollars. Fuck sake. I've only had my One for a couple of weeks but I'm now guessing the store updates on a Tuesday?

Now I've got 25 dollars and fuck all to spend it on. Can't believe my shitty luck haha. Any recommendations on what to get, or is it worth holding on for other potential sales?

Don't spend money for the sake of spending money. Just hold on until there's something you want to buy.

Hey guys if you have preview program and wanna buy Diablo 3,maybe you can try buy it from HK live store

Because from what i see,the price is only 284HKD(36.6US),and don't worry,it's english version
Edit:Forget to say,from the setting,Hong Kong store support english,so you can browser HK store with english
ZDa4YKh.jpg

Hey guys if you have preview program and wanna buy Diablo 3,maybe you can try buy it from HK live store

Because from what i see,the price is only 284HKD(36.6US),and don't worry,it's english version
Edit:Forget to say,from the setting,Hong Kong store support english,so you can browser HK store with english

I didn't know PEGI was used in Hong Kong. Anyway, thanks for the info!

I just came to post this.

Works out as £22-£23 in the UK

G7cZuAV.png

failgubbe

Now with the release of the console in tier 2, how will MS handle people still being in other regions? is it still ok to be in US when the console is released or do i need to change to avoid a ban or something along those lines

Now with the release of the console in tier 2, how will MS handle people still being in other regions? is it still ok to be in US when the console is released or do i need to change to avoid a ban or something along those lines

Well considering no one has been banned for buying from the US marketplace, including those from UK/Germany where the console is released, I would say it is still safe.

I was just going to buy metro redux, but now I have the same PBR9002 problem. Found out that it can be some regional problem, which is possible, because I live in Russia and have USA account, but the strange thing is that it worked just fine 2-3 months ago. Anyway will xbox live gift cards work in my situation?

Hammer24

Banned
I was just going to buy metro redux, but now I have the same PBR9002 problem. Found out that it can be some regional problem, which is possible, because I live in Russia and have USA account, but the strange thing is that it worked just fine 2-3 months ago. Anyway will xbox live gift cards work in my situation?

Yes, they will. There is a guy in the buy/sell/trade thread, who offers 50 MS$ for 35US$. Just tried, and it works. Metro bundle came to 27€ this way :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is game sharing impacted if you buy from the US store? As you are just changing the store locale and still using your normal UK/EU XBL account, does that mean games will still be tied to that account? So for your primary console anyone can play, and then you can play in a second console if signed in?

Just wondering because if so, then that loophole is handy. On PS4 you would have your purchases tied to a US PSN account so you wouldn't be able to play them on a second console on your own account.

tuna_love

Banned
How is game sharing impacted if you buy from the US store? As you are just changing the store locale and still using your normal UK/EU XBL account, does that mean games will still be tied to that account? So for your primary console anyone can play, and then you can play in a second console if signed in?

Just wondering because if so, then that loophole is handy. On PS4 you would have your purchases tied to a US PSN account so you wouldn't be able to play them on a second console on your own account.
You can buy them from any store and have profiles on each xbox from different regions and it will still work

To answer the questions in order:

It isn't.
Yes, it's the same account, it's just different billing information.
If signed in to Xbox Live, yes.

The loophole is indeed very handy.

Well, I will never put CC data on any console.
But it says "use code" as another option in the EA Access menu. Now to find out, when/where/how these codes are sold.

No idea what that's about but I know people who have tried their PayPal and MS funds and they've been declined and CC was the only accepted payment, unless they've added more options.

That Hong Kong trick for Diablo 3 works a charm. Got it for around a third of the UK price. They don't have a lot of games on there at present but Destiny has a page. Hopefully the pricing will be similar for that

derFeef

Does not work for me, I have 25$ from a gift card on my account, but if I want to buy a game (Metro 2033 Redux, which is 24,99) - it asks for a credit card for "paying the rest". Any help? Is it because of taxes or something?

Top Bottom