• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with Yoko Shimomura about Orchestra World Tour, KH3 and more

Full interview here.

The Kingdom Hearts Orchestra World Tour kicked off its debut in the U.S. on Saturday. The show allows fans to come together and listen to their favorite Kingdom Hearts songs performed by a live orchestra accompanied by scenes from the series – some of which were created for the tour. I was fortunate to be in attendance and get a look at Kingdom Hearts III’s newest trailer. I also had another special honor: interviewing composer Yoko Shimomura about her career and the tour. Shimomura has been with been with the series from the beginning and is now working on the music for Kingdom Hearts III. She’s also been composing video game music for nearly three decades now, working on everything from Street Fighter II: World Warrior to Final Fantasy XV.

Kingdom Hearts recently celebrated its 15th anniversary. What has the series has meant to you, and what impact has it had on you as a musician?

Kingdom Hearts was the first franchise that I’ve actually worked on that’s a series. Up until then, I was never able to handle a full-on series, so it is definitely very memorable in that aspect. In terms of its impact on me as a composer, there are many different Disney worlds inside the game and so many memorable songs within the Disney world. I wanted to make sure I was living up to that expectation, [creating] something that wouldn’t pale in comparison, while also being mindful of the [unique] aspect of Kingdom Hearts and combining it with the world that Disney music already has. Adding the original spin to it gives me the purpose. [It's] a sense of accomplishment to able to work on those songs, and they give me new challenges to take on. So it has definitely helped with my own growth. It’s a very inspirational series.

You’ve been in the business a long time now, nearing three decades. How has the process changed over time for game music?

When asked if the process has changed or evolved over time – because my stance toward composing has been stable – mentally I feel the stance hasn’t changed so much. So I can’t say for sure when asked if there’s been a change or evolution. But physically speaking, technology advances and my PC gets better and I get to upgrade my equipment. Things have become very convenient over time. And so, there are areas where I can borrow that newer technology and do what I wanted to do in further detail.

What are some of your favorite memories from working on Kingdom Hearts?

This may have been something I mentioned prior, but “Lazy Afternoon” – I just never got that song to a point where Mr. Nomura would give me the final approval. He kept saying there’s a not enough melancholy or a longing for – that sort of emotional aspect of it. So I actually stood on my patio and just stared at the sunset and took it in and tried to bring out that nostalgic melancholy kind of feel and finally was able to come up with the song.

One of my favorite little touches of hers was that the Beauty and the Beast world's regular/battle songs are both waltzes. (so is one of the main themes for FFXV, and that one's a better song, but with the Beauty and the Beast thing it's an especially cute touch)

I've been a big fan of hers since Parasite Eve (at the time that I played Super Mario RPG, I didn't know who did the music and didn't pay as much attention to those things, but that's a great OST as well).

And Lazy Afternoon became one of my favorite songs in video games because of how perfectly it captured the feeling and emotion it invoked. Such a beautifully crafted track. Yoko is my absolute favorite composer.

TissueBox

Awesome trivia about Lazy Afternoon... I'd forgotten about that track and listening to it now I can say it's a lovely melancholy indeed.

Will check out the whole interview!!

NateDog

The Kingdom Hearts Orchestra World Tour kicked off its debut in the U.S. on Saturday
Err the tour began months ago. Unless this is just a really bad way of wording "the Kingdom Hearts Orchestra World Tour had its first date in the U.S. on Saturday".

I think it's cool how she doesn't just say that she's working on Kingdom Hearts but speaks about stuff like KHIII about being "our" project. Man I really wish I could relive the London show. I would love to see the next tour but am not sure if I can travel abroad for another one despite how much I want to.

Top Bottom