• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interviewing Yoshinori Ono (Capcom), We Need Your Questions!

CO_Andy

+ Thoughts on Wii U
+ Fave fighter outside Capcom

Ferrio said:
As much as I love SNK (least of old) NO NO NO this is bad idea.
Don't think it'd be too bad if Cap was at the helm balancing the game.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Does Capcom intend to resurrect any of its older franchises that still have dedicated fanbases that are awaiting their return, series such as; Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Strider, Ghost n' Ghouls? Also I know Lost Planet. 2 performed below sales expectations but can we expect to see a return to form and have the series continue? Also will Monster Hunter be released on an HD console, no HD remakes or ports but an entirely new game?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of really premature questions in this thread, with specifics they obviously cant divulge.

I would like to second questions on SFV's timeframe, direction, or ideas, as well as PC plans.

What are the chances currently for the Xbox 360 version of SFxT getting an exclusive guest character or characters?

Is Ono's team aware or informed of next-gen (720/PS4) hardware and/or are they brainstorming how they can improve the quality of fighting games with the next generation of hardware?

Does Ono's team have a project lined up to work on after the release of SFxT?

What is the level of communication like between teams at Capcom? More specifically, I am interested in how often they collaborate with other teams such as Niitsuma's (TvC, MvC3, UMvC3) or whether they do at all. All we got from Seth Killian was that they collaborate sometimes but are also very competitive. I want to hear what Ono has to say from his unique perspective as one of those project directors.

Seth Killian mentioned Capcom trying to raise the bar uniformly across all their fighting game properties, especially when it comes to online. Is SFxT running new or updated netcode, and more importantly, is this netcode being shared with UMvC3? (for reference, the SSFIV team gave the MvC3 team their netcode but it is unclear if they used it, and if they did they certainly did not have enough time to iron out all the kinks because the online was subpar even when compared to SFIV.)

Last two are the ones I'd like answered most. Thanks Kagari.

Solune

• Was the link based system for SFIV ever implemented or considered for SFxT?
    If yes, was it changed to a chain based system to make it; more friendly or more approachable, or to make it feel more like Tekken?​
    If no, did linking attacks feel too superficial in SFxT's engine?​
  • Are the Tekken representatives chosen by Namco's side?
    - Capcom choices?​
    - Fan choices?​
  • Based on a recent interview, Capcom Vs SNK 3 could be a title Capcom may like to pursue.
    -Would there be an effort to keep it traditional 2D?​
  • Are there any other collaborations we can look forward to in the future with Namco?
    Both SFxT or non-related titles​

AAK

1) Why do the 2 previous big Capcom fighting games (SF4 & MvC3) have so much trouble running optimally on the PS3? And will SFxT and hopefully UMvC3 fix those issues?

2) Do you feel that Capcom is overcrowding the market with so many fighting games being developed simultaneously? You have the SF4 series continuing support with AE2012, you have UMvC3 and it's upcomming DLC, you'll also be pushing SFxT a whole lot, and you guys also have the next darkstalkers in development. And now there is also competition with Aksys Games, SNK, and recently Reverge Labs in the 2D genre; don't you think the market will self implode especially in the difficult economy we live in today?

GG-Duo

Glix said:
Are they worried about fatiguing the genre again? Have they done any studies on what happened last time?

I like this question. Hope you'll ask him something along these lines.

Mengetsu

What was the "Darkstalkers are Not Dead" sign at this past Comic-con about? We know how keep implying to fans and to Capcom about how much you would like to do a new Darkstalkers game. Was this a push to show Capcom that the series still has life or are you getting us hyped up for the foreseeable future?

Thanks Kagari

nickcv

i'm not too sure if you can really ask him something not fighter-game-related but can you ask him if we are going to see Ace Attorney Investigation 2 ported in the west in some form? (3DS remake or e-shop)

@MUWANdo

Banned
robut said:
With all the love Final Fight characters are getting in SSF4, MVC3 and now SFxT do you think it's time for the Final Fight series to make a return?

This. Ono does a lot of interviews, but he's very rarely asked directly about Final Fight.

AzureJericho said:
- What is the fate of characters that were proto Darkstalkers like Ruby Heart, Aminigo, & Sonson? Will we see them again in a Capcom fighting roster?

Amingo and Sonson have nothing to do with Darkstalkers - Amingo was the star of a game that was cancelled during development, and Sonson is a character from an old Capcom arcade gamr (that you can check out on the Wii Virtual Console, if you're so inclined).

enzo_gt said:
Last two are the ones I'd like answered most. Thanks Kagari.
I second this notiion right here. Those are some pretty good questions.

Mine probably aren't the greatest in the world, but I think they'll get what we need if a couple are chosen.
AAK said:
1) Why do the 2 previous big Capcom fighting games (SF4 & MvC3) have so much trouble running optimally on the PS3? And will SFxT and hopefully UMvC3 fix those issues?

2) Do you feel that Capcom is overcrowding the market with so many fighting games being developed simultaneously? You have the SF4 series continuing support with AE2012, you have UMvC3 and it's upcomming DLC, you'll also be pushing SFxT a whole lot, and you guys also have the next darkstalkers in development. And now there is also competition with Aksys Games, SNK, and recently Reverge Labs in the 2D genre; don't you think the market will self implode especially in the difficult economy we live in today?
umm...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
- What was that Darkstalkers thing at Comic-con? Is something good coming or not?
- How did he obtain to convince Capcom in making fighting games again after so many years of absence on the scene? I think it's not been a short process, but something that has covered a long period of time, in which things changed and maybe Capcom started seeing their old franchises profitable again, but I would really like to hear this from him
- Next project on 3DS: Will it be another Street Fighter, or Mr. Niitsuma is readying something for 3DS owners? And something like another MvC3 edition or even a TvC2?
- His thoughts on Wii U: if this time, his idea about the platform is NOT a Street Fighter Fit, but something that can use the touch screen of the pad, especially after the experience with SSFIV 3D Edition, or even in new ways ( for example, designing moves on the screen )
- When will Nintendo v.s. Capcom happen, because it HAS to happen.

Future 3DS plans

Thoughts on updates or remakes of other capcom fighters on xbla/psn (Slam Masters, Cyberbots, Rival Shools etc.)

His thoughts on Snk and where they are now vs where they used to be, in comparison to capcom

when would capcom think the market would be ready for a brand new fighting ip

has capcom ever considered buying the rights of older fighters from the days of all the sf2 clones?

Would he consider a new Slam Masters co-directed with Suda 51 and co branded with Firepro

Greatly appreciated if you could ask a couple or all from below.

Relating to SFxT, is the balancing process more or less difficult - than SF4 for instance - because you have to consider every team combination and make sure certain teams aren't too overpowered as well as each individual character match up.

Do you think projectiles will be stronger or weaker than in SF4 because of the Tekken cast?

Finally, did you ever think about having the Tekken characters shout out the names of their special moves, like Ryu shouts out Shoryuken for example?

Final, final question. How did you decide which moves the Tekken characters should have, they all seem to have so many to choose from whilst I'm sure you would want them to keep their most recognisable ones.

TreIII

Naked Prime said:
Would he consider a new Slam Masters

I'm also interested in this question.

My questions:

1) Who should we direct our requests for a Nintendo vs. Capcom? Sakurai? Iwata?

2) Will we start to see more of Capcom's fighters on MT Framework soon?

3) What are the chances that we actually may see a brand new fighting game franchise from Capcom?

Shadow780

New Darkstalkers!
New Rival Schools!
New SNKvCapcom!

These are not questions I just like you to shout these at him before the interview.

salromano

Shadow780 said:
New Darkstalkers!
New Rival Schools!
New SNKvCapcom!

These are not questions I just like you to shout these at him before the interview.

Shin Vanpia!
Shin Shiritsu Jasutisu Gakuen!
Shin Kapukon bāsasu esu enu kei!

shiroryu

What Shadow780 said ^^

And a question: Which Tekken character do you like the most, and which Tekken char was the most challenging character to put into SFxT?

Thanks, Kagari! Nice to see your old avatar back as well :p

.la1n

I would like to know how he feels about the parry system and whether we will see it implemented again.

Xater

Only have SFxTK questions:

- Did they consider an arcade release?

- The online feature set seems to be substantial, is this mostly due to western fans really wanting a better online experience?

- Would you ever consider the Gem system to be part of DLC? (new Gems or something; please also tell him that this is not something we want because it can throw off the balance)

- The challenges in SF4 were interesting while flawed way to teach stuff. Will you maybe improve upon this, to make it easier for new players to get into your game? (maybe add if he knows about the great training mode of Virtua Fighter 4)

- Do you consider options to deactivate specific gameplay mechanics like for example Pandora?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ask him: "What's your favourite aspect of Blanka? His silky smooth green skin or his beautiful orange hair?"

CaVaYeRo

The man is awesome, got two interviews with him recently.

I'm interested in 3DS Street Fighter X Tekken or SSFIV 3D updates. Also, he didn't seem very comfortable with its final d-pad, but they supposedly helped Nintendo with the design. So maybe you can get new thoughts about that.

You'll enjoy anyway, that's for sure.

kyubajin

Will it ever be possible to make his dream game, Marvel vs DC?

Any possibility to ever use or revive the EX series? Bring back Skullomania!

Will Capcom vs SNK 3 be 2D?

Bleepey

What do i have to do to get an MK VS SF game. Put X-factor, a comeback mechanic and SF4's slow pace and visuals and i will still buy it at a right price. Why don't you want my money?

Tizoc

Ask him this about SFxT-
1- In regards to Pandora, can you keep it as is, but make the attack boost be 25% only?
2- Give all females 1000/standard health points, only give them little less if they have a very strong offensive game.
3- What's the word on Darkstalkers?

vulva

I might get some hate for this, but at EVO he stated that the input lag issue between PS3 and 360 was because of the hardware. I understand this means that theoretically one could have less input lag than the other, however if they feel the one with the highest delay is still acceptable, could they make the other one slowed down to the same input lag? This way it would cause less difficulty in switching between consoles on a tournament level and could keep things level.

So, say PS3 had 3 frames of input lag but 360 only had 2. Making it so that the 360 would also have 3 for the sake of consistency across the board.

stuminus3

Ask him if he feels that the "back to basics" approach with SFIV to get people back into the genre has been as worthwhile as he was hoping it would be.

Also for shits 'n' giggles ask him if I look like a bitch.

Tizoc said:
Ask him this about SFxT-
1- In regards to Pandora, can you keep it as is, but make the attack boost be 25% only?
2- Give all females 1000/standard health points, only give them little less if they have a very strong offensive game.
3- What's the word on Darkstalkers?

Great question! I always wondered about this too. When I told my Tekken playing friends this they said it was strange and if its Capcom being sexist because there isn't any other good reason otherwise.

Solid_Rain said:
Great question! I always wondered about this too. When I told my Tekken playing friends this they said it was strange and if its Capcom being sexist because there isn't any other good reason otherwise.
In 3S and AE Makoto didn't have the vagina tax, but is that the only example? I guess She Hulk in MvC3 too. That's kinda fucked up.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Q: Does Capcom use automated tests to balance their games?

zlatko

Banned
1) How does he feel about the western Capcom followers/fans giving him the nick name "Trollno" ?

2) Why don't more fighting games have beta tests to test netcode BEFORE a fighter is released? Like 6 characters to pick from, 1 stage, and online versus only to test netcode issues.

3) Can we expect future Capcom fighters to start getting online ranking to be done better, more like the leagues in Starcraft 2?

4) What are the chances of a Capcom vs Snk 2 Online Edition?

5) What are the chances of the next Darkstalkers game being 2D sprite fighting, and not 3D model work?

CO_Andy

Gentleman Jack said:
The idea of another Darkstalkers without Bengus & Akiman doing designs shakes me to my utter core :(
Cap worked Bengus like a dog back in the mid-90s. Very sad he hasn't done anything substantial since.

Ikeno's decent enough at drawing existing characters, but i wouldn't trust him to design new ones.

thelastword

Banned
The real question that needs to be asked is; where is the sequel to the best fighter from last generation? in other words, where in the blue heavens is;

1. Capcom Vs Snk3 (and yes, with similar music, gameplay design and character roster). That's all that needs to be said frankly.

My favourite player on the right of course.

crpcsnkgcrev4in.jpg

Top Bottom