• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing child to RPG genre

Zambayoshi

My nine year-old daughter liked Yo-Kai Watch and Pokemon X, which were her first RPGs.

For something a little less cutesy, I'd suggest Bravely Default.

For Vita, I'd probably go with one of the Final Fantasy games.

DarkDios666

Neo Member
I think Super Mario RPG for snes is the perfect rpg to start out on especially for a kid its funny and will have characters he should recognize. It was my first rpg when I was a kid and I have loved the genre since. Pokemon is also another great starting rpg just make sure its red or blue version :D
Oh and Secret of Mana you two play together which will be a great memory for both of you.

My 9 year old son has been watching me playing Witcher 3 (except the most gruesome and naked scenes) and I thought to introduce him to RPG (WRPG/JRPG) genre. He mostly plays Minecraft (what kid doesn't?) but new genre would be new experience for him. I know Miitopia is coming out soon and would be great entry point to the genre but maybe there's some games Im missing? English is not his native language so game should not be text heavy, I think. Available platforms - PC, PS4, Wii U, Vita, 3DS. Any suggestions?

Pokemon, my 6 year old has been playing Pokémon black on the ds

Estoc

Jokes aside, I think challenging games like Dark Souls wouldn't be a bad choice when he's a few years older, teach him that losing isn't the end of all, but just part of the process, what matters is learning from your mistakes and winning at the end.

Renmyra

Anything is fine really. I played a bunch of JRPGS without knowing a lick of English before the age of 10. As long as you recognize what stats, items, abilties etc do, it's fine.

score01

Tales of games are quite good for the young uns as well. You can help out in the battles as most allow multiplayer. My boy cut is teeth on tales of xilia after watching me play.

TriAceJP

2217673-box_grandia.png

Excellent game. Good visuals. Fun combat system.

Of course, I'm assuming that OP has already given his kid this:

18322_front.jpg

Unless you are talkin' Zelda 2, Zelda ain't an RPG.

Don't let that stop you from exposing your child to the best game ever made

Dragon Quest Builders, especially if he's already into Minecraft.

I think this is probably the best answer. I have not played it but I believe it's pretty similar to Minecraft but with more JRPG stuff involved.

Costume Quest

Costume Quest 2. Good fun and not too long. Turned based combat.

This is another good suggestion. Fairly brief games, a really fun and simple combat system and great overall style and family-friendly presentation.

So are children really into Minecraft? I'm out of touch with people.

Very much so. My 7 y/o doesn't play but I know a bunch of kids in her class do.

jdstorm

Banned
If you want to play together i would suggest a turn based potentially strategic RPG.

Valkyria chronicles remastered is the last game i finished and i think it would be a blast to play with a child. Would highly recomend.

Also if you are OK with him watching The Witcher then play Yakuza O and just turn the gore off it has some minimal sexual content but probably within the relms of your comfort level.

Xenoblade Chronicles or The Last Story may also be great RPGs that might suit your needs.

Hektor

World of Final Fantasy, it's very cute, family friendly story and humor and pretty good to boot.

Also if you are OK with him watching The Witcher then play Yakuza O and just turn the gore off it has some minimal sexual content but probably within the relms of your comfort level.

jjcjijh6x9cy.gif

What's your kid's native language? If Pokémon is available in that language, that'd be a perfect choice. If you don't mind giving him some guidance every now and then, an English game wouldn't be a disaster either. Gaming is a good autodidactic motivator for learning languages.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Don't underestimate kids... when I was 9 I already had DQ1, FF1, FF4, Phantasy Star 2 and 3 under my belt. The SNES mini sounds like a great recommendation, if you can find one.

Fxp

Pokemon X is a success! I needed to look some basic information online (how to switch pokemons in and out etc) because I never played any Pokemon game before but each evolution is greeted with cheers :)

Top Bottom