• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IO Interactive explains Hitman release

Not that different than buying any other game, I think.

I for one, actually like this model, because how many games with 20 hour campaigns have their audience play to completion? A staggered release allows the audience to relax between missions and come back to the game at their own pace.

It's exactly like Resident Evil Revelations 2 (though it was a weekly release for every chapter) which a lot of people seemed to enjoy and appreciate. Except that was a budget title and this is a bigger release.

I'd still call it a different proposition to buying a £50 boxed product right out the gate.
Mainly because you don't know what the hell you're getting down the line.

But it's good to see some new delivery models being attempted by IO for such a large property. The idea of one off 48 hour contracts seems really interesting

I enjoy Hitman anyway, and hope this turns out well for them.

Because they think if one or two games do this kind of business model then the sky is falling and Last of Us 2 will be delivered to us in 20 minute chunks spread over two years.
Well, that was quick heh.
It wouldn't work in this exact fashion but i can easily seem publishers doing stupid stuff like give us $60 upfront to play MP and get singleplayer in the next 3 months. Or worse yet, if you really want to throw on a tinfoil hat, you could make the claim that if this gets popular and gains traction that games will be developed around this model. Think of something like uncharted where your going around to different locales. Each locale acts as it's own "episode" or in a game like Last of Us that's split up by seasons or takes place over an extended period of time.

I'll wait for review basically, if it turns out great, than I'll have faith that they know what they're doing and buy the game. This basically apply to all episodic games anyway, I bought the whole episodes for Life is Strange at once, the chance to play it first time and read gaf thread for discussion and reaction since first day each chapter released is fun. You don't et the same feeling if you wait and play it late because by then, I'm wary of even entering the thread because potential spoiler etc.

Interfectum

Really? Considering that you don't even know what you're getting initially, you're totally ok with paying $60 for a game/season pass that you know nothing about?

I guess of you're ok worth blindly pre ordering games than I can understand how this will be OK with you.

You do know what you're getting though. Sandbox levels in which you perform hits in a variety of ways. If that appeals to you then you can pay in December and start playing. If you don't know if that appeals to you, then wait until next year for the full game + discounts.

I don't see the downside here other than people assuming this is a slippery slope the game industry is going to use to ruin all your favorite series.

Foffy

Banned
I'll wait for review basically, if it turns out great, than I'll have faith that they know what they're doing and buy the game. This basically apply to all episodic games anyway, I bought the whole episodes for Life is Strange at once, the chance to play it first time and read gaf thread for discussion and reaction since first day each chapter released is fun. You don't et the same feeling if you wait and play it late because by then, I'm wary of even entering the thread because potential spoiler etc.

People who have played the alpha has consistently referred to the game as a sequel to Blood Money. Leaked footage even confirms this.

I don't see a point in waiting for reviews. If you liked Blood Money, there appears to be no reason to hold back on this Hitman game. The only criticism I see reviews giving the game is already found in its release schedule. I think a bigger question is what does the game launch with? I hope all of the scenarios in E3 are there at launch, which would guarantee four areas.

One thing you will miss by waiting are the timed targets. These are only available for a few days, and you have one chance to do them. I would imagine they would not be available in the retail release.

they should explain why kane & lynch 3 hasn't happened yet

not a joke post

K&L2 was a blast

breh us K&L fans got to keep on the down low
and be patient

I don't think Lynch wants to work with Kane ever again after what happened in 2 where Kane turned out to be a greedy scumbag, so that could lead to some interesting changes.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
You do know what you're getting though. Sandbox levels in which you perform hits in a variety of ways. If that appeals to you then you can pay in December and start playing. If you don't know if that appeals to you, then wait until next year for the full game + discounts.

I don't see the downside here other than people assuming this is a slippery slope the game industry is going to use to ruin all your favorite series.

If you're giving me half a game, I'm giving you half the price. It's not rocket science and we don't even know how much of the game we're initially getting because they're being so vague or they don't even know, yet they have no qualms asking for $60. Gtfo with that shit.

Edit: this whole "live experience" talk is all bullshit IMO, the real reason is that they are probably behind schedule and they want to prevent used game sales.

Forkball

Well the advantage is Hitman fans get to play at least a part of the game this year instead of waiting till fall (?) of 2016 to play it.

Consumers who don't like this idea can simply wait until next year to get it. Options.

I suppose, but imagine if Nintendo released world 1 of a new Mario game in December of this year, and then you wouldn't get to world 8 until the next year's December. I don't think anyone would want this.

Granted, we have no idea how much content they will give us at launch. Maybe it will be 15 hours worth of gameplay with more added later. But until they give us some more info, we can only use the powers of skepticism.

Or the entire game could just be released in 2016 for $60. Problem solved.

Because what IO is proposing really just seems like early access. They can mix words around all they want to, but I'm not sure I can be fooled.

Fractal

Banned
I'll wait until the full release next year.
Same... was never a fan of any episodic content. If I end up playing the main part of the game on release, I'll finish it and move on, ignoring these "episodes" they have in mind.

Also, waiting will most likely net me a discount as well...

Last of Us is actually pretty suitable for episodic gaming. Can you imagine gaf reaction beating Fall episode and had to wait three months for the next Winter episode. Lol
Is it as replayable with varied options like a Hitman game, though? Could you play a single level for quite a few hours, for example?

I clocked roughly 8 hours on the one alpha level provided and I still didn't do everything I could. If they release with 4 or 5 levels then that's easily over 30 hours of content at launch.

Digital first? So when you buy physical will it be cheaper? I don't get it. Are they expecting us to keep the preorders then? Why so confusing? I dont like this since I have physical preordered. Going to not get this game then...

If you're giving me half a game, I'm giving you half the price. It's not rocket science and we don't even know how much of the game we're initially getting because they're being so vague or they don't even know, yet they have no qualms asking for $60. Gtfo with that shit.
Or they'll likely announce what the launch will contain in the coming months and then you can decide if that's worth $60? It's not like the game's coming out next week with all these unknowns.

As a die-hard Hitman fan, I already pre-ordered after seeing the leaked clips and reading the alpha impressions. But no one's being forced to pay $60 this instant. Wait till they reveal what will be available at release

I'm not sure why everyone is throwing their toys out the pram over this. It works well with the self-contained levels found in a Hitman game, and it means fans like myself can play complete parts of the game 6+ months in advance of its "full" release. It clearly wouldn't work for every game, so it's not going to "infect" the industry either.

Mind you, I'm just happy we're finally getting a real sequel to Blood Money.

MUnited83

For you.
They can be bought one episode at a time. This is $60 upfront, like a more expensive version of a season pass. You pay the same $60 you're used to with AAA gaming, except now you only get a little of the product in the beginning and have no idea how large the final product will be. No help from reviews since they won't know either.

Let's just say no from the beginning, huh?
No they can't. There isn't a single Telltale game on PC where you can buy episodes separately. Its the season pass or nothing.

Digital first? So when you buy physical will it be cheaper? I don't get it. Are they expecting us to keep the preorders then? Why so confusing? I dont like this since I have physical preordered. Going to not get this game then...
I'm guessing like when I've kickstarted for physical editions, I can play it digitally on the time with codes and all that.

CHC

I'll wait until the full release next year.

Yeah I just don't see any reason NOT to do this unless you simply have nothing else to play this fall (unlikely).

Nothing for people to get wound up over. The actual gameplay sounds fantastic, like a return to form. There's such an attitude of disdain for the format but if you want a full, finished arc of missions.... just wait. Simple.

Is it as replayable with varied options like a Hitman game, though? Could you play a single level for quite a few hours, for example?
Well with TLoU case, I see it more like Life is Strange model, episodic with option to buy each episode separately or buy the whole season for a bit of discount.

I'm guessing like when I've kickstarted for physical editions, I can play it digitally on the time with codes and all that.

I get it, I suppose. I understand what they're going for but it's quite silly they couldn't tell this from the get go. I preordered a lot of games from Amazon and this was part of that order. Guess I'll have to cancel it. I don't want what they're offering at this moment, and will get it once it's all released and dropped down to nothingness.

How will they deal with digital sales? Will they keep the price $60 for the next 2 years? Pretty sketchy if you ask me.

It's only released on disc when they're done adding content.
I get it, I suppose. I understand what they're going for but it's quite silly they couldn't tell this from the get go.
They did tell this at E3 already.
edit: From the original announcement:
One of the reasons why we’re calling this a new start for HITMAN is also the idea of releasing a digitally led product. That can mean a lot of different things depending on who you are, but for us it means we’re going to make HITMAN available first via direct download.
They furher expanded on this in various interviews.

Sounds good to me. Hitman fans get the game, have some finished levels to play and get new ones every few weeks. Other people can just wait for the physical release.

bede-x

No they can't. There isn't a single Telltale game on PC where you can buy episodes separately. Its the season pass or nothing.

I did not know that. Pretty sure the one I bought on XBLA was sold as single episodes as well as full season, so I assumed it was the same on PC. Oh well, let's say no to those as well then :)

(I always skip them anyways, because of the poor quality control).

Interfectum

You can poison food, follow the person to the restroom and drown them in their own vomit as they are puking in the toilet. If that isn't worth $60, I dunno what is.

I hope it's more in-line with "Hitman: Agent-47" with the sick 'splosions, CGI helicopter crashes into buildings and dubstep.

That movie looks fucking abysmal.

MUnited83

For you.
The game is shaping up to be a real Blood Money too. I'm hyped and will be there day one.

I think this will do pretty well in Europe at least since its quite a bit cheaper than most AAA released(49,99€ instead of the usual 69,9€)

Serra

So it is episodic. I hate it when PR dudes just redefine what words mean.

Still, all the impressions are good. Absolution was so stupid but Blood Money was godlike.

faridmon

I think this will depend on how much content the first batch of mission will have. I reckon if they make their initial product a strong one, they will many people over, but as it stands, there is only doubt looming over this product.

Is this like reverse layaway? Pay full price, then get your money's worth later?

isn't the first time with episodic gaming, telltale games you had to buy the whole games on Steam, although they allow you to buy per episode in console digital store like PSN.

Maybe it's just me, and how I play games, but I almost never have much of a reason to go back to a game after about 20 hours, and I think the way they're doing this release is going to get me coming back to this again and again. I mean, I love blood money, but even that I put on the shelf and would only occasionally boot up after I cleared all the missions on Pro. I didn't even SA every level (fuck you Blood on the Water) so it sounds to me more like finding a way to keep players coming back into the game and keeping the contracts system alive for more than the first few weeks after launch.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Some people don't seem to understand that Hitman games have never been a "played once and that's it" experience. Considering we already know there's a level bigger than any other level in a Hitman game, that people (including Gaffers) have already played the game and liked its potential replayability, and that the game is not limited to story mode, but also Contracts mode, it would seem to me that there's enough while new content arrives.

I also feel that for this kind of game (obviously not for big story driven games like TLOU, that'd piss me off), this model might actually help it. The devs already said that they'd be constantly checking on what players do, to actually improve the levels, and considering this December, it appears that only big fans will purchase it, I feel like they won't make the levels for the lowest common denominator.

lil

Hmmm, I like the episodic format, but I've never had to pay $60 upfront before. I'll probably hold off. So many games this fall that I might as well wait on the one that won't be fully available.

Is HITMAN an ‘early access’ game?

No. Early access can often mean something unfinished or unpolished.

If HITMAN is released with the intent of putting out the rest of the content at a later date, then IT IS UNFINISHED. That's the definition of unfinished. If a 2 hour film was released with only 1.5 hours of footage, that's unfinished, right? Am I not understanding this correctly?

painey

I want a new old-school Hitman, but I won't support this horrible system.. and I feel like the consumers lose no matter what, because if we punish them for this fuck-you-over system then the sales are low and we might never get Hitman again, but if we support it out the ass we end up with this shitty system everywhere. Lose-lose for the consumer.

Is HITMAN an ‘early access’ game?

No. Early access can often mean something unfinished or unpolished.

If HITMAN is released with the intent of putting out the rest of the content at a later date, then IT IS UNFINISHED. That's the definition of unfinished. If a 2 hour film was released with only 1.5 hours of footage, that's unfinished, right? Am I not understanding this correctly?

You aren't understanding it correctly. He's using the term unfinished to refer to the state an early access game releases in, where it's not polished at all and major features are missing. An early access for this would be something like most of the weapons haven't been added, only a few costumes/NPC types, no Contracts mode, etc. It's intellectually dishonest to equate the state that Hitman's already in with the stuff that pops up on steam early access.

Top Bottom